PS2 mouse not working with Pup_Rescue precise(Solved)

Booting, installing, newbie
williepabon

#1 Post by williepabon »

Hi!
I'm trying to troubleshoot a machine that has a PS2 mouse. When I boot up with my Pup_Rescue stick, the mouse arrow is frozen. My Puppy works ok with a usb mouse. Any ideas to solve this? Thanks.
wp
Last edited by williepabon on Tue 15 Oct 2013, 22:54, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

Must ask.
Are you sure the PS2 mouse is physically not broken?
Bios setting on computer?

If this Pup_Rescue stick is using a save file made on a different computer, it could be trying to use settings specific for that computer.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

williepabon

PS2 mouse not working with Pup_Rescue precise

#3 Post by williepabon »

bigpup

Thanks for answering. The main purpose of my Pup_Rescue is to troubleshoot computers of different kinds (laptops, workstations, towers, etc). So it should be able to recognize different hardware configurations. Well, that is my intended use. I'm assuming that when I connect my Puppy to a different machine, the hardware discovery process will identify it and the OS would configure itself accordingly. If that doesn't happen, I've got a problem with the tool.

In answering your question, the PS2 mouse is working OK. The BIOS setting on the computer is setup for legacy PS2 port.
wp

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

If you use it on different computers, and do not make a save file, it should do a full hardware check and configure for what it finds.
When a save file is made, the configuration for the hardware is saved and on next boot, it tries to use that setup only. Sometimes that setup will work on other computers, sometimes it will not. Depends on hardware and how well they match in type and specs.

You have two options.
Do not make a save file, so you only boot completely to a fresh initial boot.
Make a save file and boot with option puppy pfix=ram to not use save file.
YaPI(any iso installer)

williepabon

#5 Post by williepabon »

bigpup:

So, what I need to do is to change in the extlinux.conf the line that says:

Code: Select all

append initrd=initrd.gz pmedia=usbflash pfix=copy
, where it says pfix=copy to pfix=ram. Right? The part about the save file, I haven't understood that feature yet. Need explanation. Please, advice.
wp

mill0001

#6 Post by mill0001 »

Try changing: pmedia=usbflash to pmedia=ataflash and see if it works. Btw pfix=copy means copy to ram, so no need to change that.

bigpup

#7 Post by bigpup »

where it says pfix=copy to pfix=ram. Right?
Yes.
Make this change so it does not try to us any save files.

Keep in mind, because you are not using a save file, you will be asked about making a save file during shutdown.

The prfix=copy is not needed. Puppy will normally try to load all into computer ram. (if there is enough computer memory). If not enough ram, it will adjust to what it can load into.
Not really sure why that option is still available, may have been needed for troubleshooting.

pmedia=usbflash entry should not be causing your issue. That is the normal entry for installs to a USB flash drive.

Again, I think your problem is config info, stored in the save file, not compatible between computers.
Last edited by bigpup on Sat 12 Oct 2013, 19:07, edited 1 time in total.

mill0001

#8 Post by mill0001 »

Take a look at this: http://puppylinux.org/wikka/BootParametersPuppy

pfix=ram does not copy save file to ram if there is one.

pfix=copy copies all of puppy into ram.

williepabon

#9 Post by williepabon »

mill001, bibpup:

Sorry abt my insufficient knowledge on this area. I changed pfix=copy to pfix=ram and I didn't observe any difference. In both cases, at boot up, there's a line that says:

Code: Select all

Loading Pup_Rescue Precise.sfs to ram
There is no change in the rest of the boot up process. Needless to say, I don't get a hardware check. For my own education, what would be the name of the save file and where it is located? Thanks again.
wp

rcrsn51

#10 Post by rcrsn51 »

mill0001 wrote:pfix=ram does not copy save file to ram if there is one.
The savefile is never loaded into RAM (unless you are doing multi-session). Most users have a savefile that is bigger than their RAM. The savefile is usually mounted. The "pfix=ram" argument simply says to ignore it, so you get a temporary clean setup. This argument will also ignore a main sfs file if found on a hard drive and only load the sfs file on the boot disc. This ensures that your hard drive is completely unmounted.
pfix=copy copies all of puppy into ram.
Again, this only affects the main sfs file - whether it is loaded into RAM or not. In old Puppies the default behaviour was to load the sfs. Then it changed to "pfix=nocopy" because it saves RAM and hard drives are fast. I believe that recent Puppies have gone back to "pfix=copy" as the default.

bigpup

#11 Post by bigpup »

To be clear. Using pfix=ram had no affect on your problem with the PS2 mouse not working?

If, at some time, you made a save file on shutdown.
The save file name should be something like precisesave.2fs.
The location is usually the same place as the other Puppy files.
Look in /mnt/home
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#12 Post by bigpup »

I'm trying to troubleshoot a machine that has a PS2 mouse
What problems are you troubleshooting?
Hardware not working?
YaPI(any iso installer)

williepabon

#13 Post by williepabon »

bigpup:

Thanks for answering. From the information you give me, then, I don't have a save file. The only file at the location you mention, that has the word precise in the name, is PupRescue_Precise.sfs.

The machine I am trying to troubleshoot is a Dell workstation that has a usb keyboard but a legacy PS2 mouse. When I boot it with its native OS (Win XP) the keyboard and mouse are recognized correctly and operate normally. When I boot using the PupRescue stick the mouse is frozen, and I guess the keyboard gets frozen too, after boot is complete (I've only done this twice on said pc). I'm planning to test my stick with a different machine that also has a PS2 mouse to see if the problem repeats again. This is, I think, important because, PupRescue should be able to recognize a reasonable variety of hardware, both legacy and modern if it is going to be a useful troubleshooting tool. Thanks.
wp

Karl Godt

#14 Post by Karl Godt »

I don't know on which Puppy version Pup_Rescue is based upon .

It seems that the Xorg version does not play nice .

If Pup-Rescue is based upon Lupu 5.x.x Puppy , it might be that there are problems with the modular psmouse.ko driver and the Xorg mouse_drv.so .

On a full and frugal installation you should be able to have a look into /var/log/Xorg.0.log when powering off forcibly -
if you edit /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown in regards to the
496:# rm -f /var/log/X*
line (comment it out) .

Also /tmp/bootkernel.log might be worth to look into .
I would boot pfix=nox and view the /tmp/bootkernel.log file as
# mp /tmp/bootkernel.log
using mp editor for hints about mice . That bootkernel.log file is created by the dmesg command .

Monsie

#15 Post by Monsie »

Karl Godt wrote:
I don't know on which Puppy version Pup_Rescue is based upon .

It seems that the Xorg version does not play nice .

If Pup-Rescue is based upon Lupu 5.x.x Puppy , it might be that there are problems with the modular psmouse.ko driver and the Xorg mouse_drv.so .
Karl, Pup_Rescue is in fact based on Lupu 5.2.8
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69651

williepabon, here is a workaround for you to try:
Boot up your friend's computer with Pup_Rescue, then unplug the PS2 mouse for a moment and then plug it back in.... See if it works now.

Hope this helps,
Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

CatDude

#16 Post by CatDude »

Hi
Karl Godt wrote:I don't know on which Puppy version Pup_Rescue is based upon .
Monsie wrote:Karl, Pup_Rescue is in fact based on Lupu 5.2.8
I don't want to state the obvious,
but this thread is called: PS2 mouse not working with Pup_Rescue precise
PupRescue_Precise

CatDude
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

Monsie

#17 Post by Monsie »

CatDude wrote:Hi
Karl Godt wrote:I don't know on which Puppy version Pup_Rescue is based upon .
Monsie wrote:Karl, Pup_Rescue is in fact based on Lupu 5.2.8
I don't want to state the obvious,
but this thread is called: PS2 mouse not working with Pup_Rescue precise
PupRescue_Precise

CatDude
Thanks, CatDude...

Apparently, I am having difficulty reading today... :oops:

williepabon, please try my workaround in any event. I'm thinking there could be some sort of timing issue that is interfering with hardware detection at boot-up...

Apologies to all,
Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

CatDude

#18 Post by CatDude »

Hi

@ williepabon
williepabon wrote:...The main purpose of my Pup_Rescue is to troubleshoot computers of different kinds (laptops, workstations, towers, etc). So it should be able to recognize different hardware configurations. Well, that is my intended use. I'm assuming that when I connect my Puppy to a different machine, the hardware discovery process will identify it and the OS would configure itself accordingly. If that doesn't happen, I've got a problem with the tool.
If any of those machines are old (with no PAE support)
you may want to reconsider your choice of troubleshooting OS.

DPUP5520 the creator of Pup_Rescue
has this to say on the matter:
DPUP5520 wrote:...One thing to note is that this is based on precise and requires pae support, if you are planning on working on an older computer which does not support pae I suggest checking out 2.5 (in my sig)
PupRescue 2.5 is the one based on Lupu 5.2.8

CatDude
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

williepabon

#19 Post by williepabon »

CatDude:

Thanks for clarifying about by version of PupRescue. I'm also aware about the pae requirements for Puppy. The machines that I'm troubleshooting now are relatively modern and recognize the page address extension spec (I assume). That is why I'm going to try a different machine (that is OK) with a PS2 mouse to see If I get the same problem.

Monsie, when I get the other machine that has the PS2 mouse, I'm surely going to try your workaround. Thanks. :wink:
wp

williepabon

#20 Post by williepabon »

CatDude, Monsie:

Finally, was able to test my stick on another machine with legacy hardware. PupRescue worked as expected, recognizing the hardware and operating normally. Apparently, the machine that originated the problem must have some type of hardware issue that froze PupRescue. Will consider this problem resolved for the time being. Thanks for your help.
wp