File Manager to recognize RoxApp/AppDir. ( XFE, I hope...)

For discussions about programming, programming questions/advice, and projects that don't really have anything to do with Puppy.
sunburnt

File Manager to recognize RoxApp/AppDir. ( XFE, I hope...)

#1 Post by sunburnt »

I really don`t like the RoxFiler, time for Puppy to start including a real file browser.
I`m trying to make a plugin for SpaceFM that will make it act like RoxFiler does.

To run the RoxApp dir. with a click ( %f is first selected file, I assume a dir. also...):

Code: Select all

[ -e %f/AppRun ]&& %f/AppRun &
I tar.gzip it and copy it, and I keep getting an error: Error installing plugin (invalid plugin file?)

# I`m not sure how to get SpaceFM to display the RoxApp icon.
It`s an icon or link in the RoxApp dir. named: .DirIcon
It`s supposed to show in SpaceFM`s dir.-file panel in place of the default icon.
# This may be hard to do...
Last edited by sunburnt on Sat 12 Oct 2013, 18:44, edited 2 times in total.

jamesbond

#2 Post by jamesbond »

If it's about recognising .DirIcon and running ./AppRun, it shouldn't be too difficult for the maintainer. Have you tried contacting ignorantguru himself? He may be interested ...
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

amigo

#3 Post by amigo »

I'm pretty sure I ask him once about supporting AppDirs, with no reply...
Still, the plugin capability should be able to handle it -it must just be a syntax problem. For starters, probably better to use the '-x' test rather than '-e'. I think I have some pcmanfm sources here so I cna have a look at plugins.

sunburnt

#4 Post by sunburnt »

jamesbond; I agree, it shouldn`t be too hard. At least the click to run part.

amigo; Exactly why I didn`t bother, I`ve emailed many devs. with hardly a reply one.
I asked the author of SquashFS to make a simpler read-write version.
It`s seems odd that something seemingly so simple still has no working solution. Maybe btrfs...

I used -e because links don`t have an exec. bit, but a simple test proved you`re right, -x it is.

The docs have nothing about controlling the icons in the file list panel, except by theme of course.
I`ll see if I can get a response about it.

# Update: IgnorantGuru has been on hiatus. But a blog post assures he`ll be back.

I don`t see anyway to fix Xfe, Thunar, Nautilus, or Dolphin so one of them would work.

sunburnt

#5 Post by sunburnt »

Well... Even entering the command in the window click event doesn`t do anything.

It responds with a report about the event, but lists: fileselected/AppRun

I have no idea how this is supposed to work, and reading help is no help at all.

I sent an email to the author of the Xfe file manager. Hope he cares enough.

And I see no RoxApp mods for Thunar or Dolphin either....

sunburnt

#6 Post by sunburnt »

A dev. that does care.!.!.!

Roland Baudin replied to my email asking about RoxApp.! He has not heard of it.

It appears Rox has decided to start calling RoxApp the more common name AppDir.
They now refer to them on their web site as Application Directories.

I sincerely hope Roland makes the few small additions to Xfe, it`s a great FM...
I suggested it could be a checkbox option in Xfe`s Preferences.

amigo

#7 Post by amigo »

The rox project has always referred to them as 'AppDir'.

sunburnt

#8 Post by sunburnt »

No, quite some time back they had pages titled RoxApps. Now there`s no reference to it.

So I had a heck of a time finding their web pages again as Google won`t list nonexistent pages.

seaside

#9 Post by seaside »

sunburnt wrote:A dev. that does care.!.!.!

Roland Baudin replied to my email asking about RoxApp.! He has not heard of it.

It appears Rox has decided to start calling RoxApp the more common name AppDir.
They now refer to them on their web site as Application Directories.

I sincerely hope Roland makes the few small additions to Xfe, it`s a great FM...
I suggested it could be a checkbox option in Xfe`s Preferences.
Sunburnt,

I've always liked Xfe as a file manager. For me, however, it's biggest drawback was that it did not have any permanent right-click facility to run programs against selected files.

The latest version 1.35 has fixed that by providing a "run scripts with selected files" capability which might be of some help in running RoxApps (AppDir).

Regards,
s

sunburnt

#10 Post by sunburnt »

Hi seaside; Click to run scripts could take care of the big issue, running the AppRun file.
Having the icon appear is a bit more buried into the inner workings.

### Update: I looked at the docs. and it says the same thing SpaceFM does.
Select files and right click and select script from menu.
# Not an action item, it`s an "Open With" type item. Most FMs already have this capability.

### I really hope Roland does "fix" Xfe to emulate Rox Filer type behavior for these 2 items.
Showing the AppDir icon is non-interfering. Click to run could be a checkbox in Preferences.
# It`s clear that for a File Manager to be fully capable it needs to recognize AppDir.

Basic apps. like FMs should have open access to most all of the display and action parts.
There`s just no reason to hard code the behavior in utility type apps. Plugin behaviors...

# I`ll have to refrain from calling them RoxApp, yet another depreciated term.