Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 22 Nov 2014, 21:22
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Obedient Pup - (V3 Released 05th November 2013)
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 4 [55 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Ted Dog

PostPosted: Thu 22 Aug 2013, 16:16    Post subject:  

Dependency on an internet connection is hopefully only for the short term. Was able to compile espeak with fatdog. Only need to rename an header file and makefile mod to get it to compile..

Now if I only knew how to construct a 64bit pet. Embarassed
Q5sys

PostPosted: Thu 22 Aug 2013, 22:03    Post subject:  

Ted Dog wrote:
Dependency on an internet connection is hopefully only for the short term. Was able to compile espeak with fatdog. Only need to rename an header file and makefile mod to get it to compile..

Now if I only knew how to construct a 64bit pet. Embarassed

dir2pet should work. And I 'think' its in fatdog.

Ted Dog

PostPosted: Thu 22 Aug 2013, 22:49    Post subject:  

thanks for the tip, it works but some how messed up permissions now 'spot' wrapper script is broken (never cared for that needless handicap)

retry 'as spot' to build it.

Odd have 0 upload size. Is that normal? Have I been banned to upload!!

save-as
http://puppylinux.net/fatdog64/espeak-1.47.11d-FD621.pet
ETP

PostPosted: Thu 29 Aug 2013, 09:36    Post subject: Obedient Pup (V1 Released 16th August 2013)
Subject description: How to change the default "NEWS" site.

How to change the default "NEWS" site.

Currently when you;
[Tap the HOTKEY and say] “NEWS”
you are taken to the BBC World News page. If you wish the default to be another news page, it is easy to change by simply editing
the following file.(/opt/Palaver-master/Recognition/bin/news)

If for example you wanted it to be Google News:

Original file:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
cd /usr/local/bin/
./defaultbrowser http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world/ &

Edited file:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
cd /usr/local/bin/
# ./defaultbrowser http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world/ &
./defaultbrowser https://news.google.com &

Finally in order to permanently engage voice hyperlink navigation for this site, visit it and press ctrl+shift+k

ETP

PostPosted: Thu 29 Aug 2013, 10:39    Post subject: Obedient Pup (V1 Released 16th August 2013)
Subject description: Teaching Obedient Pup to greet you on startup.

Teaching Obedient Pup to greet you on startup. EDIT: Do not use with version2

This is just a fun add-on but rather than the usual trick of playing a wav file, uses another of the Google APIs so that
user editable text is spoken. The variety and quality of voices available using this technique is not as good as the
included TTS but is not too mechanical.

1. Using PPM (Puppy Package Manager) install mpg123_1.12.1 from the ubuntu-precise-universe repository.

2. Extract the two files which are attached and reproduced below in your Downloads directory.

3. Ensure that they are both executable then symlink greetings.sh to your Startup folder.

4. Restart the X server and you should hear audio. Edit the two files as you see fit.

greetings.sh
Code:
#!/bin/sh
# ETP Aug 2013 Edit the text as you see fit.
sleep 10   #Comment out if you do not want to create a symlink to this file in startup.
# sh /root/Downloads/speech.sh "Greetings master. How can I be of service?"
sh /root/Downloads/speech.sh "Good morning sir. Do you require the full cooked breakfast?"
# sh /root/Downloads/speech.sh "Good day cobber. Fancy a tinny?" # Use with en-au in speech.sh

speech.sh
Code:
#!/bin/bash
# ETP Aug 2013
# A few examples here. (tl=en-us) or (tl=en-GB) or (tl=en-au) us female/uk male (Butler?)/Australian female
# Substitute google.com for google.co.uk only if need be.
say() { /usr/bin/mpg123-alsa -q "http://translate.google.co.uk/translate_tts?tl=en-GB&q=$*"; }
say $*

Signing off with one last search:

[Tap the HOTKEY and say] “YOUTUBE London Beat 9 a.m.”

Edit 30/08/2013
I should point out that this technique is not confined to use in Obedient Pup. It can be used in any puppy and can be incorporated
into any linux script at any point to provide a spoken message as an alternative to or in addition to an on screen message. As ever, there
is one caveat in that Google do not officially support it. Having said that it has been around for ages and they show no signs of
withdrawing the utility.
scripts.tar.gz
Description  greetings.sh and speech.sh
gz

Download 
Filename  scripts.tar.gz 
Filesize  586 Bytes 
Downloaded  205 Time(s) 

Last edited by ETP on Fri 25 Oct 2013, 04:47; edited 2 times in total
gcmartin

PostPosted: Tue 03 Sep 2013, 17:08    Post subject:  

I love what this thread's community has done with this with other contributions that was pulled together in this distro. This humanitarian offering, though, is very robust offering to desktop users. I love what you've done. And am looking forward as this product continues its evolutionary path. What is so amazing is that this product provides far-reaching uses to those whom it is designed for, but, it ALSO, provides great services and use to those of us who are not hampered.

This has a great mainstream appeal if more of the community knew about it. It there is a manner of making this appealing to a larger audience, this product could morph into one where more users would mean more heads with ideas for expanding and improving upon the great things it already does.

Thanks to all of you for coming together for the version 1.0 of this effort in Puppyland.

Here to help

ETP

PostPosted: Mon 09 Sep 2013, 03:40    Post subject: Obedient Pup (V1 Released 16th August 2013)  

@gcmartin,

Thanks for your kind comments. I am keen to hear what issues testers have found and in particular what percentage success rate they had with the walk-through.
Voice control is not without its problems! Smile

technosaurus

PostPosted: Mon 09 Sep 2013, 09:11    Post subject:  

It looks like pocketsphinx_continuous is a good light speech recognition tool to complement espeak for text2speech.

One way to handle the output from speech recognition is to use /dev/stdout as the output and pipe it through a while-read-case block like:
Code:
pocketsphinx_continuous <params>| while read LINE; do
case "$LINE" in
  *)...;; #use different regex here for different actions
esac;
done

gcmartin

PostPosted: Mon 09 Sep 2013, 16:40    Post subject:  

Thanks @Techno.
You wrote:
It looks like pocketsphinx_continuous is a good light speech recognition tool to complement espeak for text2speech.
Is there a chance that a PET can be made for pocketsphinx_continuous? I know that @Ted Dog has contributed "espeak", here, on the FATDOG thread.

Can these 2 packages be installed for 64bit PUPs as well as 32bit PUPs or would there have to be a 32bit version and a separate 64bit version of each?

Thanks in advance, for what this effort is advancing in this distro.

Would this help new user acceptance?
Here's an idea that I think will make it rather simple for anyone to step into this platform's base services.

Shinobar, then TaZoC, 01Micko, and BarryK introduced a "FirstRUN" concept years ago for initial boot and use of their distros. It change Puppy startup from a multi-stop text base unforgiving clunker to a modern interactive use at anytime utility. It single-handedly has revolutionized startups in PUPs. It has been seen as a fabulous manner to start any use of the distro off for users; new users or experienced, alike.

Could/would extending that utility's extension with some of the ideas shown in this thread provide a level of increased comfort when someone new boots to desktop. It could serve as a springboard for any user where he/she might have the FirstRUN tool read-back for entries as well as do some initial audio interactive setup with the person booting ObedientPUP.

I could envision this post earlier as being an initial "get acquainted FirstRUN step" added to propel a user into comfort. Or something equally simlar to elevate the startup experience with user envolvement doing something maeningful and simple, just as FirstRUN does in other PUPs..

I dont have the skills to modify FirstRUN such that it provides the kind of foundation that this distro needs,but, I wonder if that would be as evolutionary as Shinobar's FirstRUN has become in most PUPs.

Here to help

ETP

PostPosted: Thu 10 Oct 2013, 04:19    Post subject: Obedient Pup - Apple iTunes Trailers (Video Add-on)
Subject description: Version 0.2.0

Please note that the included iTunes add-on is currently not working in XBMC as Apple have completely changed their website/service. The author of the add-on “dersphere” is working on a new version and I will post again when it becomes available.
Attempting to play any trailer gives the error message "Remote Share: Could not connect to network server"

Relevant post:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=160691&page=15&highlight=dersphere

Git:
https://github.com/dersphere/plugin.video.itunes_trailers

Signing off with:
[Tap the HOTKEY and say] “YOUTUBE Brook Benton Rainy Night in Georgia”

technosaurus

PostPosted: Fri 11 Oct 2013, 10:41    Post subject:  

I found a decent tutorial/example of using sphinx:
http://hackaday.com/2010/07/11/adding-speach-recognition-to-your-embedded-platform/

ETP

PostPosted: Fri 11 Oct 2013, 11:08    Post subject: Obedient Pup (V1 Released 16th August 2013)  

Hi technosaurus,
Thanks for flagging this up. I understand that Ubuntu 13.10 will include speech recognition (PocketSphinx) by default. The final is due out this month.

www.iloveubuntu.net/speech-recognition-engine-pocketsphinx-landed-ubuntu-1310-default

BK has included support for Ubuntu 13.10 (Saucy Salamander) in Woof and we may well see a Pup based on it.

technosaurus

PostPosted: Fri 11 Oct 2013, 13:10    Post subject:  

built in precise 3.8.3, but you'll still need to populate /usr/share/pocketsphinx/model from the model directory in the source package here:

http://hivelocity.dl.sourceforge.net/project/cmusphinx/pocketsphinx/0.8/pocketsphinx-0.8.tar.gz

Sorry, those parts were too large for a forum post.
pocketsphinx_continuous-0.8-i486.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  pocketsphinx_continuous-0.8-i486.pet 
Filesize  160.35 KB 
Downloaded  190 Time(s) 

ETP

PostPosted: Mon 14 Oct 2013, 01:36    Post subject: Obedient Pup - Apple iTunes Trailers (Video Add-on)  

On 10th October I posted about a global problem with this XBMC add-on which is included in this Pup.
It has now been fixed and the add-on will automatically upgrade to version 0.2.1 the next time XBMC is launched.

Signing off with:
[Tap the HOTKEY and say] “YOUTUBE Brook Benton Rainy Night in Georgia”

Atle

PostPosted: Thu 17 Oct 2013, 14:13    Post subject:  

is there a simple way to create custom speach commands for someone that does not speak very well?

Such as his way of saying "Click" in order to perform a simple mouseclick?

Great efforts here and lots of kreds to devs. Hope to see this merged with OneSwitch one day Smile

Atle
Page 2 of 4 [55 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: