EliteOS 1.1

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
l0wt3ch

#41 Post by l0wt3ch »

While you're at it, tell them that, while you think Eldy is good enough for them, it's not good enough for you.

Tell them that you personally use Puppy Linux. :)

tlchost

#42 Post by tlchost »

l0wt3ch wrote:While you're at it, tell them that, while you think Eldy is good enough for them, it's not good enough for you.

Tell them that you personally use Puppy Linux. :)
I have told them that I use Puppy Linux....and have also told them that while it may work for some folks, it will not work with Eldy....and have show them Puppy. The Non-geeks have a uniform reaction of Yuck to Puppy.

I have no OS ax or Application ax to grind....I simply teach people about tools that will help them.

It doesn't matter what's good enough for me....it matters what works best for my students.

l0wt3ch

#43 Post by l0wt3ch »

tlchost wrote:The Non-geeks have a uniform reaction of Yuck to Puppy
They certainly wouldn't feel that way about EliteOS. It's received praise for both its looks and ease-of-use.

But hey, don't get me wrong. There may be those who prefer "software that looks like it was designed for a four-year-old, complete with blue elephants". To each his own!

tlchost

#44 Post by tlchost »

l0wt3ch wrote:
tlchost wrote:The Non-geeks have a uniform reaction of Yuck to Puppy
They certainly wouldn't feel that way about EliteOS. It's received praise for both its looks and ease-of-use.
OK....exactly how many seniors are using it? Exactly how many learning centers are using it? Can you tell me how many agencies have endorsed it? By the way, could you list the number of cities that have adopted it as an official mechanisim for citizens to communicate with the government?

I suspect you can not.
But hey, don't get me wrong. There may be those who prefer "software that looks like it was designed for a four-year-old, complete with blue elephants". To each his own!
Oh please.....stop throwing stones. When your creation is accepted as well as Eldy has been, then you can crow about it....until then, calling names is pointless.

l0wt3ch

#45 Post by l0wt3ch »

I don't think anyone is name-calling, Thom.

Just saying that "Eldy" is dumbed-down and patronizing. I personally wouldn't recommend it to anyone, regardless of what the European Union says.

"Here Mom - look it even has instant messaging, you can talk to other Eldy users. Well, it may not be the same software that big people use, but it should be good enough for you."

tlchost

#46 Post by tlchost »

l0wt3ch wrote:I don't think anyone is name-calling, Thom.
Your comments about 4 year olds and elephants are a credit to your wisdom and maturity.
Just saying that "Eldy" is dumbed-down and patronizing. I personally wouldn't recommend it to anyone, regardless of what the European Union says.
And you put it so well....no doubt based on years of experience teaching and supporting seniors. I'm sure you can point to many organizations who hold you in high regard for your in-depth knowledge of teaching and senior citizens.
"Here Mom - look it even has instant messaging, you can talk to other Eldy users. Well, it may not be the same software that big people use, but it should be good enough for you."
Amazing....you just have to be a smart a**, and a sarcastic one too.

Of course you neglect to state how well accepted your product is, How many installations there are....and how many seniors you have trained.

l0wt3ch

#47 Post by l0wt3ch »

tlchost wrote:Amazing....you just have to be a smart a**, and a sarcastic one too.

Looks like you're the one name-calling.
tlchost wrote:Of course you neglect to state how well accepted your product is, How many installations there are....and how many seniors you have trained.
So... Windows?

You've been advocating "Eldy" for so long, you can't admit it looks like it's for children. Or might be patronizing. Or dumbed-down and crippled.

This thread is for people with questions about EliteOS. Stop spamming it.

tlchost

#48 Post by tlchost »

thank you for your comments

P123

Upgrade to 5.20

#49 Post by P123 »

Do you have plans to upgrade to Puppy 5.20?

My opinion on the themes/icons/wallpapers/fonts is that they are usually one of the first things I do to personalise any desktop anyway so why worry about it.

l0wt3ch

#50 Post by l0wt3ch »

Is there enough interest?

PupGeek

#51 Post by PupGeek »

You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people all the time.

Doesn't it bite when you start a thread offering a new and perhaps promising solution to a problem and someone comes in looking for reasons to hate on it? I announced in the KVR audio forums my ProducerPup and someone comes in and turns the thread into a Win Vs. Lin mudslinging contest... I had to shut everybody up on that one, telling those who want to hate to start their own threads and get off of mine.

Anyways l0wt3ch, keep it up, listen to the feedback that you can actually do something about and don't worry about those who just want to compare it to what is already out there. There is no point in making a complete clone of Eldy. Regardless of its acceptance, there has to be a market for something that is relatively simple to use but is not condescendingly easy. From the descriptions, that may just be where EliteOS can shine.

Aitch

#52 Post by Aitch »

Ha Ha

Been awhile since I checked you out l0wt3ch ....still prickly.....?

Nice website, :D good work on your OSes, I have recommended Puppy Studio several times, and it's well liked
Hope Elite does as well, though you may want to sort out the niggles Sneeky spotted, and ask him to update his video [maybe give him a run-through on some of the philosophy and finer aspects of Elite?]...or do your own video, maybe

Thom, l0wt3ch's not the only one showing his age, and I'm an even older fa*t than you.... :lol:
We're all in the same global fishbowl, mate :wink:

Aitch :)

greengeek

#53 Post by greengeek »

l0wt3ch wrote:Is there enough interest?
Yes - although I havent tried EliteOS in depth yet (roll on the weekend) - but it is clear from some of the comments here that you had started some interesting work with Festival etc and were trying to target this at newcomers / seniors etc.

Anything that advances puppy to make it accessible to blind / old / crippled or whatever marketplace is a good cause in my book. I stumbled on this thread purely because of the Speech-to-text angle and I am sure that lowtech is one of those devs who has sufficient genius to make such things work. I'd welcome such efforts.

Puppy is a niche product and it is a disappointment that some good versions get stalled just before they mature into something that is just right for the target audience. I'd love to see EliteOS updated.

starhawk

#54 Post by starhawk »

l0wt3ch is AFAIK gone -- he had some distinctly unpopular positions (I don't remember many of them) and there was a very large long thread a year or two ago with plenty of fireworks between him and the rest of us over his Puppy Studio distro. Part of the end of that was him leaving this forum.

Unless the user "announcer" is him (could be, not sure) I'd say at this point there's too much anger, sadly, for him to come back any time soon.

A pity since he seemed like quite a smart dude. Had a few out-there ideas IIRC, but hey that's most folks I know...

ciento

#55 Post by ciento »

l0wt3ch is alive and well, improving his great Studio1337, and it has been clinically proven that he is not the devil, mamby-pamby forum wimps aside :lol:

smokey01

#56 Post by smokey01 »

The http://eliteos.ca/ link seems to be broken.

greengeek

#57 Post by greengeek »

starhawk

#58 Post by starhawk »

ciento wrote:l0wt3ch is alive and well, improving his great Studio1337, and it has been clinically proven that he is not the devil, mamby-pamby forum wimps aside :lol:
:roll: never said he was the devil. I think he's a fine fellow who has some odd views on things. I will be the first person to point out that I'm built the same way. There's nothing wrong with being outspoken on a couple things.

There are exactly two things I don't like that went on with him. Not characteristics of the fellow himself, just some things that happened.

I don't like the idea of charging money for Linux, period (and wouldn't use RedHat or SuSE for that reason, even if I *could* afford them) -- I realize that there are some that need paid support, and I understand that -- but you shouldn't have to pay money to obtain a copy of the distro itself. That's against the idea of free software, which is at its core what Linux is really about IMO.

The other thing is the fireworks that happened. I realize that they were probably unavoidable -- most folks do have tempers, after all -- and I also admit that it's more my opinions and principles here than anything l0wt3ch did. I'm just one of those "why can't we all just get along, please?" type people that don't like to see *any* conflict, even though conflict amongst humans is kind of a natural thing (to say the least).

If l0wt3ch came back to the forum, I'd be one to welcome him -- but I'd also ask him to consider making his Puppy Studio free, and I wouldn't use it (as a matter of principle more than wallet restrictions, although both are most certainly issues here) unless and until he did.

On that note -- I sort of understand why l0wt3ch charges for Puppy Studio. I recall him (or someone speaking for him) stating that his position was that he invested time and effort into that distro, and plenty of it -- and got little in return. Here is my response, you're welcome to send it to him (or not) as you'd like...

I understand you've put tremendous time and effort into your work. Many many others also did -- Linus Torvalds and Barry Kauler are two notable individuals, and there are countless hundreds of others, including many if not most members of the Murga Puppy Forums. I ask you to consider how much *they* charged for *their* work. I also ask you to consider one other thing: emotion. How many lives has your work touched in a positive way? How does it make you feel to know that? Most importantly -- since that is usually the payment for F|OSS software, that feeling of gratitude, of (in a way) importance, that you've helped others and they are grateful for it even if they don't tell you -- why isn't that enough, especially in a time when the "every man for himself" attitude is literally almost tearing countries apart right now (particularly mine, the US)...?

I'd like to hear l0wt3ch's response to that... I think I'll PM Announcer and ask him to ferry the message.

EDIT: Announcer, you have a PM ;)

Announcer

#59 Post by Announcer »

Sink, O thread -
Get thee hence from whence you came
The graveyard of things long-forgotten.

ciento

#60 Post by ciento »

starhawk wrote: I don't like the idea of charging money for Linux, period (and wouldn't use RedHat or SuSE for that reason, even if I *could* afford them)
Without massive and expensive corporate involvement over many
many years, linux, as known in small potato distros, like rehat,
suse, and puppy, would not exist.

The computer you use is also software, that just happens to have
been placed in silicon, a result of other expensive corporate involvement, yet you apparently have, and apply different standards,
when it suits the moments zeal. I doubt your internet connection,
which also relies on corporate softwares, is free, either, and yet,
here you are.

A foolish and self-absorbed generation now want free healthcare, free food, free housing, free software, free fill-in-the-blank,
telling their leaders to keep 'the fed' printing the cash, keep crancking out
China's IOU's.

But when somebody has sacrificed and invested their life, to become doctors, ranchers, builders, and coders, the good book says,
'the laborer is worthy of his hire'. I have purchased 4 boxed set linux versions over the years, and a few more that were a dvd glued
on a to a giant $40-$50 doorstop manual, that good people worked hard
to publish, so that others could learn.
No regrets at all. Money well spent.