[FINISHED] CompizPup - an experiment

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
pchan

#21 Post by pchan »

Compiz is working very well on my acer happy2 (d257) netbook.

The only issue is the enhanced zoom feature which is really helpful for people with weak eyes is still not functioning.

Would be really great if you can get it to work. Compiz is not just something that is fanciful (eye and candy) but it has features that is actually very useful.

And features like the enhanced zoom can never be found anywhere else - not in windows - unless we are talking about capacitive touch screen zooming in ipad, android and windows 8. But when you don't have a multitouch touch screen, the way you can zoom and pan using compiz is more advanced and easy to control.

Part of the reason multi touch screens became popular is because of the ability to zoom. Compiz has zooming feature all the while but it is not being promoted as widely.

peebee

#22 Post by peebee »

pchan wrote:Compiz is working very well on my acer happy2 (d257) netbook.

The only issue is the enhanced zoom feature which is really helpful for people with weak eyes is still not functioning.

Would be really great if you can get it to work. Compiz is not just something that is fanciful (eye and candy) but it has features that is actually very useful.

And features like the enhanced zoom can never be found anywhere else - not in windows - unless we are talking about capacitive touch screen zooming in ipad, android and windows 8. But when you don't have a multitouch touch screen, the way you can zoom and pan using compiz is more advanced and easy to control.

Part of the reason multi touch screens became popular is because of the ability to zoom. Compiz has zooming feature all the while but it is not being promoted as widely.
Hi Pchan

I'm not a Compiz expert I'm afraid so if you can point me to which controls need to be set in the CCM for the zoom feature I can test if it works on my computers.....

There are so many controls it is hard to know which ones to try....

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

pchan

#23 Post by pchan »

Hi peebee,

It is actually in the compiz settings.

Once you put a tick on "enhanced desktop zoom" it will say that "mouse polling" is required and it will automatically be selected.

After coming out of compiz settings, the hot key "win" + scroll wheel up / down usually activate the zooming effect. (This should work but it is not happening for some reason.)

Thanks for looking into this. Will be great if it can work but if it cannot then there is no choice but to enjoy what is available. You have already done a great job on lxde by sfs and now compiz.

Thanks.

rhadon

#24 Post by rhadon »

@ pchan

Just a shot in the dark, with german keyboard layout I always need to change also the keyboard model from PC-102 to PC-104 or PC-105. Otherwise the super key (the "win" key) doesn't work for me.

HTH
Rolf
Ich verwende "frugal", und das ist gut so. :wink:
Raspberry Pi without Puppy? No, thanks.

peebee

#25 Post by peebee »

pchan wrote:Hi peebee,
After coming out of compiz settings, the hot key "win" + scroll wheel up / down usually activate the zooming effect. Thanks.
Hi pchan

Tried the enhanced zoom setting on my laptop and it worked fine - the "super" or Windows key + the scroll section on my touchpad zoomed the screen in and out......

[later] also worked fine on my desktop with nvidia driver loaded.....see full screen shot[/later]

So it must be something in your setup rather than the Compiz sfs I'm afraid that's stopping it working for you....

All I can suggest is that you try a pristine frugal install accepting all the default system settings at first boot and see if that works.

Cheers
peebee
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

pchan

#26 Post by pchan »

thanks peebee,

i am glad to hear that the enhanced zooming is working.

even though i have yet to get it to work. might be my keyboard settings as someone earlier had suggested.

Since, the zooming does work, then it is only a matter of adjusting something in my netbook.

when i have time, i am going to try it on my older hp notebook and see if i can get a better result.

thanks always.

peebee

Compiz for LxPup13.11 (Slacko flavour only)

#27 Post by peebee »

Updated 17-nov-2013

To add Compiz to LxPup13.11....SLACKO FLAVOUR ONLY

Download the Compiz (with Python) sfs - md5sum= 4c20a5596e55ab401362c8f6aefb6922 compiz_python_lxpup-0.8.8.sfs c. 17MB

Save the sfs in a location where it can be installed (with sfs-load-on-the-fly recommended).

on a pristine frugal install:
  • 1. install compiz_python_lxpup-0.8.8.sfs
    2. install the setup pet attached and answer the questions to modify your system
    3. reboot and create savefile - essential to complete installation
Cheers
peebee
Attachments
lxpup13.11_compiz_setup.pet
Setup pet for LxPup13.11
(59.92 KiB) Downloaded 1034 times
Last edited by peebee on Thu 26 Dec 2013, 07:29, edited 4 times in total.

SFR

#28 Post by SFR »

Hey Peebee

Yesterday I made the decision to perform this "big step" and I've switched from 01micko's older Compiz build to your's.
And I must say it's one of the most polished and extremely good looking DE/WM packages I've ever seen here!

I have merged both your lxpup-by-sfs and compiz_python_lxpup into one entity + added some stuff from Mick's predecessor (I'm very accustomed to ROX Desktop enviroment, you know) + few customizations by myself.
It became rather messy inside, but now I have 4 in 1:
- Compiz with PCManFM's destkop
- Compiz with ROX desktop
- Openbox with PCManFM's desktop (a.k.a. LXDE)
- Openbox with ROX desktop
- and the default JWM as fifth

The following are my observations and issues I encountered while setting the whole thing up.
They're not a bugs really, rather some kind of incompatibilities, so I'm just giving the info in case someone will exeprience something similar.
I was able to recreate them also with clean, unaltered SFS'es.

1. It took me a while to figure it out, but there's something wrong with /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines/libnimbus.so (btw, seems to be related: https://www.illumos.org/issues/3883), well, at least in a combination with Compiz and ROX-Filer.
When a theme (e.g. Nimbus) that makes use of this engine is set, an attempt to delete a file/dir using ROX-Filer very often leads to ROX's segfault (resource temporary unavailable).
Other engines are ok.
My workaround was to delete libnimbus.so (pity, quite nice engine...) and make a symlink to libaurora.so instead.
EDIT: Symlinking libnimbus.so to libaurora.so wasn't really good idea - now choosing a theme that makes use of aurora engine doesn't work. Oh well, I've reverted that change and I just won't be using those 3 nimbus themes. Negligible detail...

2. Lxpanelx and network_tray don't like each other for some reason. When lxpanelx is being refreshed by the script in Startup (lxpanelctl restart), network_tray disappears even for few minutes, but still working and increases CPU usage to max (only one core, fortunately), then reappears again and CPU load drops.
I had to comment out that part of code and now it's fine.
BTW, if I recall correctly, deleting that '.cache/menus/*' is necessary to refresh lxpanel's menu after installing SFS, am I right? Hmm, perhaps it'd be better to put that command in .xinitrc (before launching lxpanel) or make a wrapper named 'lxpanel' that deletes that stuff and then starts lxpanel..? (Just thinking out loud...)

3. Akash_rawal's destkop_drive_icons app is mapped/visible in the taskbar.
It takes place only in "pure" LXDE (Openbox) mode, Compiz is ok.
Fixed by adding:

Code: Select all

<application title="desktop_drive_icons">
    <skip_taskbar>yes</skip_taskbar>
    <skip_pager>yes</skip_pager>
    <desktop>all</desktop>
  </application>
near the end of /etc/xdg/openbox/rc.xml.

4. Missing icons (Lxpanel's root menu & PCManFM) after changing GTK theme (only Compiz).
Fixed by installing the native lxappearance (PPM, Salix repo), however I've kept your script as well, since many useful things are gathered in one place there.

5. In Compiz mode PCManFM's Trash doesn't work.
I've added (copied from /usr/bin/startlxde):

if which dbus-launch >/dev/null && test -z "$DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS"; then
	eval "$(dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session)"
fi
to /root/.xinitrc.
I'm not sure is it good idea though (dbus is terra incognita to me)...
I had this problem also with Mick's version, btw.
Anyway, now you can see why I called my modifications "messy". ;)

6. I noticed that bluetooth-0.5.pet (precisely: its /root/Startup/bluetooth script) kills and restarts dbus, what breaks PCManFM's desktop on startup.
After commenting out the relevant lines in that script, both PCManFM and bluetooth seem to work ok, but again - I don't really know how to handle that dbus thingie...

After I've managed to deal with the above issues, I can say only one thing: FANTASTIC! :D
Great job, thanks a lot & keep it up!

Greetings!
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(92.98 KiB) Downloaded 2487 times
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

peebee

Sfr discoveries

#29 Post by peebee »

Wow!! Sfr - you have been busy....

When I get a chance I'll have a look at some of your discoveries and see if there's anything I need to change....

Many thanks for your feedback - appreciated.

Cheers
peebee

peebee

Sfr observations

#30 Post by peebee »

Hi Sfr

I installed the compiz sfs on top of LxPup13.10 to investigate your findings.

I wasn't able to duplicate your trash or icon problems - the trash was working as expected in compiz and I changed the GTK theme a few times and the icons did not disappear.

The burst of cpu use on bootup happens in vanilla LxPup as well as when compiz is added - however interestingly it does not happen with the network tray in LxRaring (my private version of LxPup based on Upup-Raring3.9.9.2) so it looks like a feature of the network tray in Slacko. But it goes away pretty quickly for me as soon as Frisbee acquires the wifi connection.

I'll look at the rox and desktop-icons findings later....

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(167.05 KiB) Downloaded 2329 times

SFR

#31 Post by SFR »

Hey Peebee

Thanks for checking out those issues.
As for icons and trash I owe you an apology - I just re-checked and both work fine indeed. I think I screwed something up the other (late) night while I was toggling between your and mine builds (most likely I mixed your original SFS'es with my custom setup pet).
True, they don't work in Compiz-ROX mode, but this, of course, has nothing to do with your vanilla package. Sorry. :oops:
Well, it only proves that your build IS practically perfect. :D

Regarding network_tray - perhaps it takes so long in my case, because I have ethernet connection (SNS, not Frisbee)..?

PS. Since then no new problems have surfaced, everything runs smooth & beautiful!

Thanks again &
Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]

peebee

More testing results

#32 Post by peebee »

Hi Sfr

More testing results....

Did a very quick check (created 3 files, then deleted them) using Rox from the menu under Compiz with Nimbus theme. I had no rox crashing problems - should I try a more "complicated" test?

If you want to make Rox the file manager instead of pcmanfm then the "clean" way to do it is:

cd /usr/local/bin
mv rox lx-rox        (in case you need to revert back)
mv Rox rox
ln -s rox Rox
Then right click on the panel and edit the Application Launcher widget to replace pcmanfm with Rox.

Also tried the desktop_drive_icons-0.0.5-0-i686-slacko5.5 pet under both the OOTB LxPup+Compiz and also having made Rox the file manager as above - both worked as expected and hoped - icon on all 4 compiz desktops with no program shown in tray.

You're right about the difference between openbox and emerald - there is a tray program showing in openbox - I'll probably include a tailored version of desktop-drive-icons in the next iso with your fix - many thanks.

Screenie shows desktop icons in use on system modified to rox as above.

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(110.87 KiB) Downloaded 2280 times

SFR

#33 Post by SFR »

Hi Peebee
I had no rox crashing problems - should I try a more "complicated" test?
Well, ROX may crash even on 5-10th attempt. Interesting, that it happens only with Compiz (clean LXDE or e.g. JWM + Nimbus are fine).
I guess it may have something to do with "timings" - perhaps Compiz introduces some kind of delays what leads to "resource temporarily unavailable". It's only a speculation, but in VBox it happens every single time (see attached, short video), what seems to support the above thesis.
But like I said, it's a minor issue. :wink:
If you want to make Rox the file manager instead of pcmanfm[...]
Oh yeah, thanks - I've reverted the original "rox" script, but I'm keeping PCManFM on the panel, because in some situations it's lot more comfortable than ROX.

Have a nice day &
Greetings!
Attachments
vid.avi.gz
Please remove fake .gz extension.
(118.52 KiB) Downloaded 851 times

peebee

#34 Post by peebee »

I've posted a version of desktop-drive-icons modded with SFR's openbox changes on the LxPup13.10 thread.

stevielee

Response to peebee

#35 Post by stevielee »

I have only recently been playing with GUI modifications - after trying to learn more fundamentals on Linux - Puppy or otherwise. After learning how to manipulate pinboards/desktops, file managers, window managers, etc., I thought I had a nice setup, but I am totally blown away by peebee's and others' work on the LxPup-on-Slacko/Compiz union - this is truly beautiful and so easy to use! This is very much in the vein of what was described elsewhere on the forum such as here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=75132. I can put this on my mum's computer without her longing for windows or - I shudder to even speak of this - her longing for APPLE! I say "NO" to the Apple Tax and the brainwashing of hundreds of millions who pay twice the price so they can use a computer made for stupid people! I salute you all, you Linux gearheads, who make such awesome interfaces for those of us who can't!

Steven

peebee

Update

#36 Post by peebee »

17-nov-2013

Updated to bring into line with LxPup13.11 ....

- the LxPup-by-SFS sfs (to version "04")
- the setup pet for LxPup-by-SFS (to version "041")
- the setup pet for LxPup13.11

@stevielee - many thanks for feedback

Cheers
peebee

stevielee

Hate to say this, but....

#37 Post by stevielee »

I am a bit embarrassed to say that I tried to get your updated version to work, but no luck. I followed the instructions in post #1 exactly using the newest (after Nov. 17) versions of the two sfs files and the setup pet. I used a new (RAM mode) load of Slacko 5.6 and did the sfs-load-on-the-fly in the order given in the five-step sequence in your post. When I ran the setup pet, it ran, but it gave the response that it failed to install. I tried several times with and without a savefile loaded, but I got the same result. What is odd is that this whole thing worked with the last version - around late October - and worked on the first try. I don't know what is wrong, but no one else has reported a problem. Am I doing something wrong?

Steven

peebee

Setup pet was somehow corrupted

#38 Post by peebee »

stevielee wrote: but it gave the response that it failed to install. Am I doing something wrong? Steven
Hi Steven

Sorry for this - the pet was corrupted - no idea how as it was also corrupted on my hard disk - anyway I've uploaded the latest version - and then downloaded and tested it this time.

Cheers
Peter

stevielee

Getting back to you...

#39 Post by stevielee »

Hi there -

Sorry for the delayed response, but I was away. Anyhoo, I tried the new setup pet and everything works fine now. I feel better now that I was not making a silly mistake. Thanks for your prompt attention and your work on adapting the LX/Compiz interface to Slacko.

Steven

peebee

Setup pet for LxPup14.02

#40 Post by peebee »

Updated 20-feb-2014

Download the setup pet for use with LxPup14.02 (Slacko 'flavour' only)

Install it onto LxPup after having installed the Compiz (with Python) sfs - md5sum= 4c20a5596e55ab401362c8f6aefb6922 - c.17Mb

Cheers
peebee
Last edited by peebee on Thu 20 Feb 2014, 16:18, edited 1 time in total.