Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 02 Sep 2014, 10:19
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Carolina - 1.2
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 65 of 94 [1407 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, ..., 92, 93, 94 Next
umair

PostPosted: Thu 19 Sep 2013, 06:51    Post subject:  

Carolina-1 is working Superbly, So far found the best release. checked many useful Network Packages. All are working fine without any Trouble. Really love it. Thnx Guys/ Posting the Screen Shot Wink
Screenshot-3.jpg
Description 
jpg

Download 
Filename  Screenshot-3.jpg 
Filesize  64.72 KB 
Downloaded  234 Time(s) 
rg66

PostPosted: Thu 19 Sep 2013, 07:42    Post subject:  

I just tried firefox-24.0 in lina and it does work. Mozilla must have changed something. Good news for lina fans!
einar

PostPosted: Thu 19 Sep 2013, 07:58    Post subject:  

rg66 wrote:
I just tried firefox-24.0 in lina and it does work. Mozilla must have changed something. Good news for lina fans!

possible to make a .pet ? maybe update carolina with the new firefox to 1.1 ? Smile Caroline is my favorite linux distro. and i have been worried about the future. I have tought about trying your x-precise flavor but Carolina just works to all my needs. Only firefox has been a issue. So this is Great news.

best regards
Einar
rg66

PostPosted: Thu 19 Sep 2013, 08:58    Post subject:  

I've made a firefox-24.0 pet and uploaded it to the repo. You can update ppm and search for it or dl it here: http://smokey01.com/carolina/pet_packages-carolina/Firefox-24.0.pet

Since Geoffrey left I'm pretty much on my own with lina, X-precise and now X-slacko have taken up most of my free time. I might do a v1.1 but it depends on whether or not I can get elroy to upload an ISO from a delta for me. Living in Africa I have some bandwidth issues and even uploading X-precise at 170MB was a pain, 380MB would be a nightmare.

ac2011

PostPosted: Sat 28 Sep 2013, 19:00    Post subject: Thanks, and a question  

I'd like to add to the chorus of 'thanks' to everyone involved in this project. I've used Jemimah's incarnations of Puppy since Puppeee 1.0 and always found them tight and integrated. The people who took her Saluki and made Carolina have done an excellent job and it's definitely one of the most comprehensive and easy-to-use Linux distributions available. I much prefer it to the mainstream Puppy versions of recent years (a personal preference, not a criticism of those!).

I've noticed something that others might have too, and wondered if anyone had worked out the reason. If I load Geany and start typing, CPU utilisation goes up hugely. Doesn't matter if I unload plug-ins or remove /root/.config/geany entirely and start afresh, doesn't matter if it's Geany 0.18 or 0.19 or 1.23. Same result. Having Geany open is no problem, but as soon as I hit the keys the CPU use goes up to 50% or more.

I'm only on a Celeron 1.6GHz, but for reference, in LibreOffice Writer 4.0 on the same machine in Carolina, there's no such issue. It's only Geany that seems to have the problem. Anyone else noticed this? Any ideas what might be the cause?
rg66

PostPosted: Sun 29 Sep 2013, 04:40    Post subject: Re: Thanks, and a question  

ac2011 wrote:
I've noticed something that others might have too, and wondered if anyone had worked out the reason. If I load Geany and start typing, CPU utilisation goes up hugely. Doesn't matter if I unload plug-ins or remove /root/.config/geany entirely and start afresh, doesn't matter if it's Geany 0.18 or 0.19 or 1.23. Same result. Having Geany open is no problem, but as soon as I hit the keys the CPU use goes up to 50% or more.

I'm only on a Celeron 1.6GHz, but for reference, in LibreOffice Writer 4.0 on the same machine in Carolina, there's no such issue. It's only Geany that seems to have the problem. Anyone else noticed this? Any ideas what might be the cause?

Might have something to do with the gtk theme. Go to Control panel > Desktop > Appearance > Style tab and try a different theme and see if that helps.

ac2011

PostPosted: Mon 30 Sep 2013, 03:59    Post subject:  

It did indeed! Many thanks for that. I'll be avoiding 'Soothe-brown' in future. The Xfce-prefixed themes work just fine.
ac2011

PostPosted: Mon 30 Sep 2013, 04:02    Post subject:  

PS. I can upload data, and don't mind doing so to help out. A few hundred megabytes shouldn't be a problem.

So if you wanted to send me a diff file and tell me what to do, I could upload any Carolina v1.1 you decide to make available.
Geoffrey

PostPosted: Thu 03 Oct 2013, 19:57    Post subject: I'm kinda back  

Hi all,

Well I can't help myself, I find that I need to continue with Carolina, thought not as much as I have in the past.

I have just updated the repo with a few apps and I will continue to do so as they become available, as I update these I move the older files to http://smokey01.com/carolina/old_packages/ for those that may want to use them.

I hope to help with the next Carolina ISO update too, there will need to be a few changes such as Fireftp which doesn't function in the firefox version 24, I'll see what I can find to replace that with.

Cheers,

Geoff

gcmartin

PostPosted: Thu 03 Oct 2013, 23:59    Post subject: Replacement FTP program  

Carolina wrote:
... Fireftp which doesn't function in the firefox version 24 ...
Maybe Filezilla is appropriate.

Hope this helps.

Geoffrey

PostPosted: Fri 04 Oct 2013, 00:28    Post subject: Re: Replacement FTP program  

gcmartin wrote:
Carolina wrote:
... Fireftp which doesn't function in the firefox version 24 ...
Maybe Filezilla is appropriate.

Hope this helps.

Yes, I compiled the latest Filezilla in Carolina, it seems to be ok, there is also the filezilla_NLS-3.7.3-carolina.pet which the older version lacked, it relies on wxWidgets which does add to the overall size installed though.

rg66

PostPosted: Fri 04 Oct 2013, 00:38    Post subject:  

FireFTP-2.0.16 works with Firefox-24.0, I'm using both no prob.
Geoffrey

PostPosted: Fri 04 Oct 2013, 03:02    Post subject:  

rg66 wrote:
FireFTP-2.0.16 works with Firefox-24.0, I'm using both no prob.

So it does, my bad Embarassed

Pete22

PostPosted: Sun 06 Oct 2013, 15:06    Post subject:  Issue with Backlight turned off  

Hello Carolina friends:

My brother gave me a great idea on dealing with the backlight issue.
Instead of using a flashlight to "see" in the dark, he suggested that I attach a external monitor to my laptop.*
This was very helpful and I was able to see to make adjustments to the files for the work around.

Since then, I have been playing around with other puppies to see if anyone has overcome this Issue with the chipset.
I found two puppies that I can boot up without the backlight turning off.
I am hoping that someone can study their setups and apply what they learned to Carolina.

Lupo 528
Lighthouse 443

Is anyone willing to give it a try?

Pete
Geoffrey

PostPosted: Mon 07 Oct 2013, 22:20    Post subject: Re: Issue with Backlight turned off  

Pete22 wrote:
Hello Carolina friends:

My brother gave me a great idea on dealing with the backlight issue.
Instead of using a flashlight to "see" in the dark, he suggested that I attach a external monitor to my laptop.*
This was very helpful and I was able to see to make adjustments to the files for the work around.

Since then, I have been playing around with other puppies to see if anyone has overcome this Issue with the chipset.
I found two puppies that I can boot up without the backlight turning off.
I am hoping that someone can study their setups and apply what they learned to Carolina.

Lupo 528
Lighthouse 443

Is anyone willing to give it a try?

Pete

Good one Pete, yeah if you have a monitor to use, some have hdmi out so a TV could maybe be used also, though it is a muck around setting things up.
I remember when I got it working on the Acer laptop, everything worked ok, thought the brightness control was reversed on the arrow key's and the range was limited.

Page 65 of 94 [1407 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, ..., 92, 93, 94 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: