How to switch kernels between Puppy versions

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
Dewbie

#41 Post by Dewbie »

I would like to get the additional analog modem drivers from the original-kernel version of Retro-Puppy 218 alpha and put them in Classic Pup 2.14x.
(Both are built with kernel 2.6.18.1.)

How can I do this (for frugal installation)?
Do I follow directions on page 1, or are there fewer steps to take because the kernel is the same?
Thanks.

peebee

#42 Post by peebee »

Dewbie wrote:I would like to get the additional analog modem drivers from the original-kernel version of Retro-Puppy 218 alpha and put them in Classic Pup 2.14x.
(Both are built with kernel 2.6.18.1.)

How can I do this (for frugal installation)?
Do I follow directions on page 1, or are there fewer steps to take because the kernel is the same?
Thanks.
Hi Dewbie

Following the steps in the rest of the thread is probably the safest option.

However if you are feeling adventurous and you're runnning in an environment where it doesn't matter if you make mistakes then you could try just copying the directories:

/etc
/lib/firmware
/lib/modules

across and seeing what happens....

Good luck
Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Dewbie

#43 Post by Dewbie »

Updated 3-29-2013
Thanks, peebee.
That didn't work out too well. :lol:

I also tried those directories from the the main version of Retro-Puppy 218 alpha--k2.6.18.8--with Puppy Linux 431.

To make a bootable iso, you have to rename 431's /etc/DISTRO_SPECS file to 218, then use all the other files from 218.

For the most part, this Woof-based combo works fine.
(BarryK built them only a few months apart.)

However, it won't recognize my Intel 536EP modem, even though the driver is loaded in BootManager.

Exactly why, I'm not sure.
However, some of the 431 versions have issues with this modem:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 11&t=20709

Also, Retro-Puppy 218 alpha is (once again) unavailable.

rmcellig

#44 Post by rmcellig »

Here is my situation. I want the kernel from puppy precise 5.7 inserted into puppy lucid 5.2.8. Would this be possible?

Maybe I will play around and see what happens.

ASRI éducation

#45 Post by ASRI éducation »

rmcellig wrote:Here is my situation. I want the kernel from puppy precise 5.7 inserted into puppy lucid 5.2.8. Would this be possible?

Maybe I will play around and see what happens.
I do not know if it's possible, but it should be tested (Lucid 528 still an excellent version).
Cordialement,
Projet ASRI éducation => [url=http://asri-education.org/]Association[/url] | [url=http://forum.asri-education.org/]Forum[/url] | [url=http://dl01.asri-education.org/]Dépôt[/url] | [url=http://kids.asri-education.org/]Espace kids[/url]

mikeb

#46 Post by mikeb »

I put the slax 6 kernel on puppy 4.12. Works nicely though those analogue modems can be a problem as puppy has some script jiggling to implement the drivers...ie such a modem is detected (or not...it always wants to load slmodem cos there is an Intel sound card!!!!), that unpacks driver, binary, init script, firmware ...in theory a change of kernel should not affect this but its one to watch out for (new kernel may not include needed driver for example). Or in my case I have a router so quietly ignore any potential issues as I cannot test it :D

Also watch for kernel changes... eg splitting up the usbhid drivers forced a major hack in the initrd. Plus /sys and /proc locations get moved around so may upset scripts.

top tips from top tip land

mike

rmcellig

#47 Post by rmcellig »

Ya Lucid is a fantastic pup. Only problem is that I can't record from the Audio Line-In on my iMac because the kernel doesn't support it. The kernel in Precise 5.7 does so I think I will play around and see if I can get 5.2.8 working with the Precise 5.7 kernel.

rmcellig

Re: How to switch kernels between Puppy versions

#48 Post by rmcellig »

jrb wrote:

Open Edit-SFS from the Utility menu.

1. Extract lupu-511.sfs from lupu-511.iso. Click on the .iso and when it opens in rox drag lupu-511.sfs to the edit-sfs window.

2. When the edit window opens up delete /etc/modules/, /lib/modules/ and /lib/firmware/.

3. Click on wary-060.iso. Click on wary-060.sfs to mount it. Drag /etc/modules/, /lib/modules/ and /lib/firmware/ from wary-060.sfs into the edit window and copy them in. (Make sure they end up in the right place!) :wink:

Build the new lupu-511.sfs.

In my case, I am trying to upgrade the kernel in puppy 528 with the one in precise 5.7.1.

I am stuck on step 3. I have the precise iso on my desktop, I click on it to open but when I click on the puppy_precise_5.7.1.sfs file, it doesn't mount. I get a failed mounting or unmounting error. What am I doing wrong?

mikeb

#49 Post by mikeb »

I am stuck on step 3. I have the precise iso on my desktop, I click on it to open but when I click on the puppy_precise_5.7.1.sfs file, it doesn't mount. I get a failed mounting or unmounting error. What am I doing wrong?
change in squashfs version/format at a guess...its not generally backward compatible.

My technique is usually to build a tree of the files then make an sfs of it in the target version... that way it can be tested and tweaked assuming you get puppy to load it at boot. (set in boot manager then point to new kernel/initrd in boot menu at a guess)

mike

Karl Godt

#50 Post by Karl Godt »

It may be not the squashfs version, but the type of squashfs compression ( gz or xz ) .

The kernel should support squashfs xz compressed since version 2.6.38 .

Lupu default kernel is version 2.6.33.2 and THD I think 2.6.37.6 -- both would not support xz-squash .

pemasu

#51 Post by pemasu »

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=67123

Would this be useful for kernel switching ?

Pelo

what about savefile ?

#52 Post by Pelo »

Luci to Racy : the whole process runs fine, I enjoy that !
the only problem is the save file : saved in lucisave, but not found at reboot by Racy, sorry Lucid.
AaaaH, just the little thing that is wrong. Could you help ? Merci.

One hour later : I Change savefilename from lucisave to racysave in sda2 and that is ok ! i will confirm at shutdown . Nice, very nice.
And the distro reboots on the racysave. I added the necessary flasplayer, you tube shows me the movies with the sound. Racy has provided the adequate drivers. But all that is wonderfull.

If you dont want to run frugal install, type puppy pdev1=sdb1 (or other) to run distro from yr usb stick.

FYI Lucid couldnt connect wireless on my computer. Racy does.
Last edited by Pelo on Fri 04 Oct 2013, 06:58, edited 3 times in total.

mikeb

#53 Post by mikeb »

FYI Lucid couldnt connect wireless on my computer. Racy does.
It did not have a suitable driver you mean.. its relatively easy to build them :D. Replacing a whole kernel for the sake of one driver is part of linux madness ...

But who cares :D

mike

Pelo

Wireless driver

#54 Post by Pelo »

Wireless driver : can you tell us more about that ? I have been searching for ... years (3, 4 years).
Very happy that switching kernels solve the problem. But you are right, it's not the easiest way, sure.

mikeb

#55 Post by mikeb »

Hi pelo...

sorry not aimed at you really...
for you it should have been a case of you posting your wifi card details and a driver being built for you....but thats really out of the scope of this thread.
But perhaps if you encounter a similar problem in the future then you may find an easier path..

Driver sources are usually found at the manufacturers site if they support linux well.. eg ralink...then a devx file and kernel sources for the particular puppy..... it actually takes more time to gather the files than actually build the driver... and if you are not confident there should be someone around who is able to help you here.

regards

mike

Pelo

Kernel switching : 2nd method

#56 Post by Pelo »

Here above i thank you for frugal install of a Luci-005 ( iso remasterized with Racy 5.3).

I want to go one step forward by using the second method with lupu 528 (spanish nite flux box) installed on USB stick.
Unfortunately i have no more wireless connection and sound than with the original Lupu.
Kernel 3.0.25 well installed. But no kernel modules listed in hardinfo hardware info
Distro spec are lupu's ones.
FYI intel chipset 1048086 not recognized by 915 resolution : could this explain that ?
Strange : sda3 is mounted (my HD linux partition). I am still with frugal install ?
2nd info : pupsave size : 1MB ?!!! solved by using pet pupsaveconfig 2.2.2

Pelo

Lucid 528 nite Fluxbox kernelized 3.0.25 Racy

#57 Post by Pelo »

Distro now works fine with wireless and sound. I have only burn the iso on the usb stick via puppy univeral installer. All is fine, even the savefiles ( reboot well loads the pupsave found in the USB stick.
Kernel is 3.0.25 (Racy 5.3).
Ah, the creator has issued a nite fluxbox based on Precise... zut !
But now, i know how to proceed.

Mercedes350se

#58 Post by Mercedes350se »

I want puppy 3.01 with the kernel from 4.1.2.

I copied the 301 files, except the pup_301.sfs and the zdrv_301.sfs, to the puppy301 folder on partition 2.

I copied the pup_412.sfs into the same folder and renamed it to pup_301.sfs.

Amended the menu.lst to suit.

Tried to boot but get a message saying that pup_301.sfs cannot be found.

Looked inside the renamed pup_301.sfs and amended, in two files, 412 to 301.

Rebooted but get the same message. What do I need to do?

Dewbie

#59 Post by Dewbie »

There's much more to it than that; read jrb's initial post closely.
(I wouldn't try that combo anyway; too many differences.)

nic007

#60 Post by nic007 »

Okay. Switched the puppy 5390 kernel to puppy 412 and then converted to 4sfs. Everything works fine except for the timezone, date and time. Wouldn't accept/save the customized correct settings, keep on changing after every reboot. Any ideas to fix it? Settings appear to be incorrect in the base file.

Still looking for an answer to this. If I change the timezone at bootup the screen flickers and the correct time appears. Is there a script that can run at start-up to set the clock correct automatically? I'm at GMT +2. Thanks
Last edited by nic007 on Mon 04 Nov 2013, 10:34, edited 1 time in total.