Other Distros

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
gerry

#1201 Post by gerry »

On my old Thinkpad T60 I've been running various Puppies and Debian for some time. Decided that Debian Squeeze should be replaced by Wheezy, so I installed it, rebooted into it, only to find a nice blank screen and a message to say that Gnome could not start 'cos it didn't find the needed video drivers. Then I remembered that I'd been through all that last time, decided that I didn't feel like doing it again (wifi driver too). So I scrubbed that and tried Mint 15 off of a magazine cd.

Wifi worked ok, but video only works at the highest resolution possible, which is no good foe my old eyes. Can't change resolution because the right drivers (ATI) are missing.

So at the moment Slacko 5.6, which comes with all the needed video and wifi drivers, has the computer to itself.

darry1966

Other Distros

#1202 Post by darry1966 »

Hi,

Yes at the end of the day I have tried the "others" and come back to a Pup because wireless etc is so much easier and there is a pup from various "eras" to meet the need. At the moment on main machine an updated firehydrant - thankyou Mr Tuxxx. Then updates are in your hands.

In my experience Puppy seems easier to upgrade through some experimenting which leads me to encourage those with new ideas for old pups that can benefit others to share.

Colonel Panic

#1203 Post by Colonel Panic »

I've just installed the latest beta of Slackware 14.1 (64-bit). It works pretty well except that Flash is a bit "hit and miss" and I can't get KDE to load at the moment (not a great loss though IMO as Slack comes with a full compliment of other WMs including Blackbox, Fluxbox, WindowMaker and XFCE).

(EDIT: I've now gotten Flash to work properly by downloading the 64-bit version, extracting the libflashplayer.so file manually and copying it to the mozilla plugins directory.)
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

L18L

android

#1204 Post by L18L »

I am running an emulation of ANDROID right now.

www.android-x86.org

Very nice
You can run it live or install.

Billtoo

Other Distros

#1205 Post by Billtoo »

I installed Archbang 2013.09.01 64 bit to a hp desktop pc.
Linux arch 3.11.1-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Sep 14 19:30:21 CEST 2013
x86_64 GNU/Linux
It's working well so far.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(21.32 KiB) Downloaded 782 times

nubc

#1206 Post by nubc »

@ L18L
Which version of Android are you running?
On what hardware? As live CD?
What about I/O devices? (mouse & kb detected?)
Download link? (Main mirror is unavailable, 09-24-13 / 4:30 PM EDT)

EDIT: Mirror was unavailable due to heavy demand. Issues with Google have been resolved.
Last edited by nubc on Wed 25 Sep 2013, 11:48, edited 2 times in total.

rokytnji

#1207 Post by rokytnji »

android-x86-blocked
What's wrong?

You may already notice all the download links we hosted in Google code are blocked. Worse, the site was marked "Scheduled for deletion due to Violation of TOS".

We believe this is due to a wrong result of Google code's auto-scan process. We have tried to contact Google engineers to correct the error. But so far there is no response, probably due to the new year holidays.

Need your help

We are trying to correct the situation. But so far there is almost nothing we can do except waiting Google's reaction. We need your help:

Be patient. Stop asking why you cannot download the files. That doesn't help.
If you have channels to talk to Google guys, help talk to them.
In the worst case, we may have to stop hosting the project in Google code. If someone can donate servers and bandwidth to replace the hosting, that's very appreciated.

Edit: maybe?

http://code.google.com/p/android-x86/downloads/list
Attachments
download.zip
Erase the fake .zip on the end and just leave download. It will open in your browser.
(117.87 KiB) Downloaded 303 times

L18L

android

#1208 Post by L18L »

nubc wrote:Which version of Android are you running?
It was 4.2. But I do not see it anywhere now.
Now 4.3-20130725
nubc wrote:On what hardware? As live CD?
Asrock AD2550-ITX
frugal installed
menu.lst:

Code: Select all

title Android-x86 Live CD 4.3-test VESA mode 20130725
  root (hd0,2)
  kernel /android/kernel root=/dev/ram0 androidboot.hardware=android_x86 video=-16 nomodeset vga=788 SRC= DATA=
  initrd=/android/initrd.img
or on pen drive

dd if=android-x86-4.3-20130725.iso of=/dev/sdb ; sync
nubc wrote:What about I/O devices? (mouse & kb detected?)
mouse detected, keyboard en_/US?
ethernet working :)
nubc wrote:Download link?
first in:
1 issue:
in 4.2 you could

su
to get root permissions.
in 4.3 su is not allowed.

technosaurus

#1209 Post by technosaurus »

4.2 is in the deprecated downloads
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

nubc

#1210 Post by nubc »

Tanks,
I been wondering what to do with my Asus eeePC (900mhz Celeron). Now I can try Android. I don't recognize a lot of the hardware devices associated with the different versions, so I guess I am looking for a generic live CD. Finally, maybe I can keep up with the latest OS trends, because I don't have a smart phone or tablet, yet. I see Android-x86 has its own repo, that's nice. Maybe someone could start a fresh thread in Misc or Truly Off-Topic Conversations to keep up with developments and issues.

:idea: Maybe we could start a Puppy variant of Android, and call it Steroid. Naturally, Microsoft will want to buy or steal its own variant, called Hemorrhoid, so-named for the location of the pain when using it.

starhawk

#1211 Post by starhawk »

nubc, I like your sense of humor :lol:

BTW there are versions of Puppy (the Puppeee series) that work nicely on that system if you don't mind not being able to run the latest browsers because glibc ;) our user Ally has uploaded approximately eleventy bazajillion ISOs, including those IIRC, to archive.org -- link is in the thread in Announcements ;) the thread title says something about "new hosting" IIRC...

If you can't work the site, PM me and I'll send em to you, since Ally gave them to me... on three CDs! I can send you download links to ISOs (but there's a whole collection of PETs and SFSs that I'd probably have to leave out) or if you're in the US I can send you CDs as well. No charge, even for postage, unless you want them Priority Mail for some reason.

rjbrewer

#1212 Post by rjbrewer »

nubc wrote:Tanks,
I been wondering what to do with my Asus eeePC (900mhz Celeron). Now I can try Android. I don't recognize a lot of the hardware devices associated with the different versions, so I guess I am looking for a generic live CD. Finally, maybe I can keep up with the latest OS trends, because I don't have a smart phone or tablet, yet. I see Android-x86 has its own repo, that's nice. Maybe someone could start a fresh thread in Misc or Truly Off-Topic Conversations to keep up with developments and issues.

:idea: Maybe we could start a Puppy variant of Android, and call it Steroid. Naturally, Microsoft will want to buy or steal its own variant, called Hemorrhoid, so-named for the location of the pain when using it.
edit:
Used guvcview in Wary to test my webcam (works fine).
It worked instantly in Android.

A neighbor gave me a eeePC 8g 701 last week after fixing
his electric garage door.

Been running Wary 5.5 on it quite happily.

Just tried the Android live cd version for eeePC.
Booted and found wireless without problem.
I'm completely ignorant about this Android stuff;
will look further when I have time.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

RetroTechGuy

#1213 Post by RetroTechGuy »

rjbrewer wrote:
I been wondering what to do with my Asus eeePC (900mhz Celeron).
edit:

I've been running 5.28 (ermmm... 5.28.004?) on my Asus 900eee, without problems...
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

peebee

Next simplicity linux - now using upup-raring

#1214 Post by peebee »

Hmmmmmmmmmm

Simplicity Linux have announced a new "beta" version....

http://sourceforge.net/projects/simplic ... o/download

This time they've moved on to Pemasu's Upup-Raring as the base - but an old version...

On top they've added a mixture of LXDE + some bits of XFCE. No mention anymore of moving to different package managers.

I downloaded the "Netbook" edition (213MB) - it's really rough around the edges for a beta - e.g. logout not functional, trash can not functional, many Pup components still relying on rox, very strange menus and application chooser.

Looks like they have lots of work to do before going to release which is apparently due on 25th October....

Oh - and the iso's seem quite big by puppy standards particularly as some editions are meant to be stripped down.

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

L18L

Other Distros

#1215 Post by L18L »

nubc wrote:... Maybe someone could start a fresh thread in Misc or Truly Off-Topic Conversations to keep up with developments and issues.
+1
Feel free to be the one (in Misc) please :idea:
nubc wrote: :idea: Maybe we could start a Puppy variant of Android, and call it Steroid...
I would not bother about this because BarryK has a phone with android now :wink:

edit
fresh thread for android-x86: :arrow: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=89028
Last edited by L18L on Mon 30 Sep 2013, 10:23, edited 1 time in total.

Billtoo

Other Distros

#1216 Post by Billtoo »

I installed Ubuntu 13.10 beta 2 to an hp desktop pc.
Memory 12259MB (646MB used)
Operating System Ubuntu Saucy Salamander (development branch)
OpenGL
Vendor Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Renderer AMD Radeon HD 8500 Series
Version 4.2.12337 Compatibility Profile Context 13.101
Direct Rendering Yes
Kernel Linux 3.11.0-8-generic (x86_64)
Compiled #15-Ubuntu SMP Fri Sep 20 04:11:26 UTC 2013

It's working okay so far, no lockups or surprises.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(18.94 KiB) Downloaded 1046 times

skyblaze

#1217 Post by skyblaze »

I have used xubuntu booting from a flash stick ....better than puppy in terms of presentation and almost everything worked straight from the install...a few minor tweaks, downloded audio and video codecs and its good---the biggest problem is that it is not as responsive as Puppy and has some noticeable lag at times

darry1966

#1218 Post by darry1966 »

RetroTechGuy wrote:
rjbrewer wrote:
I been wondering what to do with my Asus eeePC (900mhz Celeron).
edit:

I've been running 5.28 (ermmm... 5.28.004?) on my Asus 900eee, without problems...
I am very encouraged and would like to say thankyou for your work to upgrade a fine Pup like this "528" - your doing great work.

nooby

#1219 Post by nooby »

Simplicity Puppy? I must have been sleeping or something.
What do we know about this version then?

http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=08073

" [Simplicity Linux] David Purse has announced the availability of the beta release of Simplicity Linux 13.10, a Puppy-based distribution designed for desktops, netbooks and media centres"
Oops I should have used the search in my signature.

Simplicity Linux - something fishy

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=87159
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

darkcity

#1220 Post by darkcity »

Do not think I will try Simplicity any time soon, good luck to them though.

---

Anyone tried NixOS. Sounds like it is created in a way that has some similarities with Woof
In NixOS, the entire operating system — the kernel, applications, system packages, configuration files, and so on — is built by the Nix package manager from a description in a purely functional build language. The fact that it’s purely functional essentially means that building a new configuration cannot overwrite previous configurations. Most of the other features follow from this.
http://nixos.org/nixos/