X-Slacko-4.4 with Xfce

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
James C

#21 Post by James C »

X-slacko 1.0 non-pae on a P4 test box........manual frugal install, working well.

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Slacko Puppy, version 5.6

Chip description:
VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)

Requested by /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
Resolution (widthxheight, in pixels): 1024x768
Depth (bits, or planes): 24
Modules requested to be loaded: dbe

Probing Xorg startup log file (/var/log/Xorg.0.log):
Driver loaded (and currently in use): intel
Loaded modules: dbe dri dri2 extmod fb glx kbd mouse record

Actual rendering on monitor:
Resolution: 1024x768 pixels (270x203 millimeters)
Depth: 24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
# glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
355 frames in 5.0 seconds = 70.989 FPS
360 frames in 5.0 seconds = 71.947 FPS
375 frames in 5.0 seconds = 74.942 FPS
365 frames in 5.0 seconds = 72.946 FPS
376 frames in 5.0 seconds = 75.144 FPS

Computer
Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
Memory 2585MB (216MB used)
Machine Type Physical machine
Operating System Slacko Puppy - 5.6
User Name root (root)
Date/Time Tue 24 Sep 2013 07:48:12 AM CDT
Display
Resolution 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Mesa DRI Intel(R) 865G x86/MMX/SSE2
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Audio Devices
Audio Adapter ICH4 - Intel ICH5

Using same cd for all tests.....md5 confirmed and burn verified.

rg66

Re: X-Slacko (non PAE)

#22 Post by rg66 »

sszindian wrote: Anyway the problem here is (Foxfire browser- if she moves to fast sometimes, it jumps back to the homepage, 'all by itself.')

PS: X-Precise does NOT have this problem in Firefox (if that's any help?)
I'm not having any probs with FF at all, although I use the pae version. I did have a dodgy mouse that did the same thing. Maybe check mouse settings in Control panel > Hardware
James C wrote:X-slacko 1.0 non-pae on a P4 test box........manual frugal install, working well.
Is this the same box that failed before? No matter what I try, I get the "Unable to contact server" error on my Athlon XP comp. It also happens with X-precise-non-pae. It's an Xfce issue but only seems to happen with the Athlon/K75SA. I've got a Duron/MSI comp I'll try later today.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

rg66

#23 Post by rg66 »

More tests:

AMD Duron 900/MSI VIA-chipset 512 RAM - Xfce fails to load completely, same error.

Intel Celeron 2Ghz/Asus SiS-chipset 512 RAM - loads Xfce, almost usable. Roughly the same cpu/ram usage as the P4 1.7Ghz/Intel-D845

Seems to fail only with older AMD cpu's, weird. It works on my AMD Turion-X2 dual-core lappy. I'm now out of old hardware to test with.

James C

Re: X-Slacko (non PAE)

#24 Post by James C »

rg66 wrote:
James C wrote:X-slacko 1.0 non-pae on a P4 test box........manual frugal install, working well.
Is this the same box that failed before? No matter what I try, I get the "Unable to contact server" error on my Athlon XP comp. It also happens with X-precise-non-pae. It's an Xfce issue but only seems to happen with the Athlon/K75SA. I've got a Duron/MSI comp I'll try later today.
Different box. It was an old P3 with Intel 810 onboard.Different problem ...... never gets to xfce because X refuses to start.

I've got tons of hardware but I primarily just test on three or four boxes.

The old AMD cpu's are getting left behind........ only can run Flash 10 and it's a pain to get later Chrome/Chromium to run.

James C

#25 Post by James C »

For an testing purposes, Slacko 5.6 non-pae (official version) frugal install on the P3 in the above post.

Code: Select all

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Slacko Puppy, version 5.6

Chip description:
Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82810E DC-133 (GMCH) Graphics Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82810E DC-133 (CGC) Chipset Graphics Controller (rev 03)

Requested by /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
  Resolution (widthxheight, in pixels): 1024x768
  Depth (bits, or planes):              24
  Modules requested to be loaded:       dbe 

Probing Xorg startup log file (/var/log/Xorg.0.log):
  Driver loaded (and currently in use): intel
  Loaded modules: dbe ddc dri dri2 extmod fb glx int10 kbd mouse ramdac record vbe vgahw xaa

Actual rendering on monitor:
  Resolution:  1024x768 pixels (321x241 millimeters)
  Depth:       24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
# glxgears
17 frames in 5.0 seconds =  3.386 FPS
28 frames in 5.1 seconds =  5.462 FPS
29 frames in 5.1 seconds =  5.741 FPS
21 frames in 5.0 seconds =  4.162 FPS
17 frames in 5.3 seconds =  3.226 FPS
-Computer-
Processor : Pentium III (Coppermine)
Memory : 252MB (142MB used)
Machine Type : Physical machine
Operating System : Slacko Puppy - 5.6
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Wed 25 Sep 2013 09:46:22 AM CDT
-Display-
Resolution : 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Gallium 0.4 on softpipe
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Audio Devices-
Audio Adapter : ICH - Intel 82801AA-ICH

-Version-
Kernel : Linux 3.4.52 (i686)
Version : #1 SMP Wed Jul 10 10:53:04 EST 2013
C Library : GNU C Library version 2.15 (stable)
Distribution : Slacko Puppy - 5.6

-Processor-
Name : Pentium III (Coppermine)
Family, model, stepping : 6, 8, 6 (Pentium III/Pentium III Xeon/Celeron/Core Duo/Core Duo 2)
Vendor : Intel
-Configuration-
Cache Size : 256kb
Frequency : 730.86MHz
BogoMIPS : 1462.63
Byte Order : Little Endian

Slow but obviously working.

Tman

#26 Post by Tman »

Downloaded and tested on AMD Brisbane 5200+ CPU, Nvidia GT 240 GPU.
Had no problems with my video card, wifi was automatically detected by Frisbee. One small caveat with the sound.. the master volume was set to mute; but after raising the volume, sound works normally.

To sum it up: nice Pup, well done!

One question: is this woof built or a remastered edition?

Tman

#27 Post by Tman »

rg66 wrote:More tests:

AMD Duron 900/MSI VIA-chipset 512 RAM - Xfce fails to load completely, same error.

Intel Celeron 2Ghz/Asus SiS-chipset 512 RAM - loads Xfce, almost usable. Roughly the same cpu/ram usage as the P4 1.7Ghz/Intel-D845

Seems to fail only with older AMD cpu's, weird. It works on my AMD Turion-X2 dual-core lappy. I'm now out of old hardware to test with.
Where are you getting the Xfce pets from? Did you compile them yourself?
It could be that the compile settings were tuned for newer hardware.

rg66

#28 Post by rg66 »

Tman wrote:Downloaded and tested on AMD Brisbane 5200+ CPU, Nvidia GT 240 GPU.
Had no problems with my video card, wifi was automatically detected by Frisbee. One small caveat with the sound.. the master volume was set to mute; but after raising the volume, sound works normally.

To sum it up: nice Pup, well done!

One question: is this woof built or a remastered edition?

Where are you getting the Xfce pets from? Did you compile them yourself?
It could be that the compile settings were tuned for newer hardware.
Thanks Tman

It's neither, I did it manually. In hindsight I should have done a remaster but found the sfs size was larger even though it was compressed with xz. It's a lot more work but I actually prefer to do it manually anyway.

The sound should have been at 50%, your laptop must not have liked the asound.state file. I should probably remove it but it will default to 81%.

The pet was not compiled by myself, it was made for precise and I found it on the forum some time ago. I have one for slacko (jejy's) but it was causing to many problems. Other than the older AMD/P3 issue, it works quite well.

I did compile all the latest Xfce pkgs in X-precise and will eventually use those for it (X-precise-2.x). I was getting too many compile errors in X-slacko so I might try the slacko Xfce sfs (or at least parts of it) again and see if it fixes the problem.

It is booting to somewhat of a desktop, I get country wizard, welcome1strun and the error window. I think it's something with xfsettingsd or xfce4-session. I can't get a terminal to see what is actually running or not.

Marv

#29 Post by Marv »

Tested on: AMD Athlon XP/MP thoroughbred 1600MHz - 512mb RAM - NVidia RIVA TNT2 Model 64 Pro video.

Standard frugal Grub4Dos install. Xprecise 2.11 fine on this machine.

Results exactly as above on older AMDs

Totally black screen with a cursor. Error message ...... Unable to contact settings server. Did not receive a reply."
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

rg66

#30 Post by rg66 »

Marv wrote:Tested on: AMD Athlon XP/MP thoroughbred 1600MHz - 512mb RAM - NVidia RIVA TNT2 Model 64 Pro video.

Standard frugal Grub4Dos install. Xprecise 2.11 fine on this machine.
Your Athlon is newer, Is it an XP 1900+? X-precise also has the same error as X-precise on my XP 1600 box.

I did get a terminal up, after loging out to the prompt I ran "xwin urxvt". ps shows no xfce processes, and when I tried to start some I get mostly dbus errors and an xfconf error.

James C

#31 Post by James C »

Just tried the X-precise 2.0 cd on my Athlon XP box......same result....black screen with the error message.
No problems on newer AMD hardware.

Marv

#32 Post by Marv »

My Athlon is a real mutt. It is a repackaged mobile sold as a desktop chip so I've no real notion of new/old. Very very few out there like it. Run startxfce4 from your 'black screen' command line. Looks like it is a D-Bus error. Is it worth chasing?
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Tman

#33 Post by Tman »

JamesC and Marv,

Have you tried Saluki and gray's Xfce based Pups on those computers? It would help to know if other versions of Xfce can work on them.

Marv

#34 Post by Marv »

I've run all the Salukis and lina up through lina lite 005 sucessfully on this box. I believe it ran Grays xfce NOP ok also but I currently don't have a copy to doublecheck. Right now it's up in a remastered lina-lite 005 with no problems at all.

James C

#35 Post by James C »

Tman wrote:JamesC and Marv,

Have you tried Saluki and gray's Xfce based Pups on those computers? It would help to know if other versions of Xfce can work on them.
Looking back through my notes....... Saluki 023 and Precise NOP 5.4.1 (XFCE 4.10) both worked fine on my Athlon XP box.Just tried Precise NOP live ..... no problems...straight to a working XFCE desktop.

rg66

#36 Post by rg66 »

I can confirm that lina lite works on my Athlon XP 1600 box.
Marv wrote:Looks like it is a D-Bus error. Is it worth chasing?
No, I've spent enough time trying to fix this. It is definitely over my head.

Apart from not working on older AMD/P3's, it seems to be running ok. I'm using it as my every day OS with no problems. (Pentium dual core E5700 @ 3Ghz/Asrock Wolfdale1333-D667, 2GB RAM, CPU-3-5%, RAM 70MB @ idle)

Tman

#37 Post by Tman »

rg66 wrote:I was getting too many compile errors in X-slacko so I might try the slacko Xfce sfs (or at least parts of it) again and see if it fixes the problem.
Ideally, you should do the compile on your old Athlon using the official Slacko-5.6, with a clean install.

I am guessing the reason that the slacko sfs is giving you problems because it was compiled on an older Slacko, one which was not based on Slackware14.

Deacon

Nice!

#38 Post by Deacon »

Testing X-Slacko-- it actually works more nicely than early X-Precise I downloaded, as far as I can see! The biggest change is the fact on the Precise (this may have been fixed) certain installation attempts will crash Xfce and freeze the system. Even if a program doesn't work on install here, the system works smoothly.

Great work! This is really a system that looks easy for Win-users to transition with.

rg66

#39 Post by rg66 »

Tman wrote:Ideally, you should do the compile on your old Athlon using the official Slacko-5.6, with a clean install.

I am guessing the reason that the slacko sfs is giving you problems because it was compiled on an older Slacko, one which was not based on Slackware14.
Compiling and myself have never really gotten along. I did notice Xfce-4.10 in the repo so I might try that and see if it works on the Athlon box. For now it will have to stay as is due to time restraints.

rg66

Re: Nice!

#40 Post by rg66 »

Deacon wrote:The biggest change is the fact on the Precise (this may have been fixed) certain installation attempts will crash Xfce and freeze the system.
This was happening to me also, I thought it was just my machine because no else mentioned this issue.

It's an issue with installpkg.sh, I'm trying to figure out what the problem is but it does it randomly.