Which legacy Puppy is best for my project?

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
Senex

Re: Which legacy Puppy is best for my project?

#21 Post by Senex »

Unfortunately the link takes me to info sources I found awhile ago, which are either outdated (one stops at the AMD 64-bit Opteron and Athlon64 era), or appear to require more knowledge than newbie-level to use. From what I've seen, it does appear that Geforce 6800 series will work "with XFree86 versions 3.3.6 and/or 4.1.0" so this might be good news...not sure. Anyway, thanks for the tip!
Monsie wrote:Senex,

Since Debian 5 (Lenny) is based on kernel 2.6.25 it might be useful to look at the documentation for supported hardware as listed by the Debian 5 team: http://www.debian.org/releases/lenny/i3 ... 01.html.en
This documentation also provides links to other sites for further info regarding various systems and hardware peripherals.

Hope this helps,
Monsie

Edit: Actually, Debian 5 did use kernel 2.6.25 during testing, then moved to kernel 2.6.26 so although there was a slight upgrade, I feel the information might still be very useful.

Monsie

Senex

#22 Post by Senex »

Okay, so if Puppy 4.2.1 cannot handle Phenom II x6, is there any Phenom II CPU it can handle? If not, what is the most powerful CPU it will run on?

What about my selection of motherboards and graphic cards...are these at least workable? I will consider downgrading my CPU choice, if the boards & graphic cards will work, as I have some wiggle room on the CPU, but cannot compromise with the rest.

Edit: On the off chance anyone is interested, I've now downgraded my CPU choice to Phenom X4 9850 (95w), and of course this means the motherboards on my parts-list has changed to accommodate it. Hopefully, that will increase the odds for Puppy to run on this build.
Karl Godt wrote:
mikeb wrote:CONFIG_NR_CPUS=32 2.6.24.5 slax kernel...yay :)... mean puppy..

Arn't those cpus built to handle the megabloat of vista and beyond.... or perhaps more likely high delivery servers... I see a little lost puppy wading around in the machine :D

mike
Yeah, Have two Core2Duo with 2cores with 1thread each , one atom 1core 2threads and one atom 2cores 2threads each .
So still in the older Pup-range .
The xload meter at bootup is best with the 2cores á 2threads atom .
k2.6.30 coretemp.ko does not want to load on it , but that's all .