Time to desktop and usable, old Dell computer

Promote Puppy !
Dookus
Location: now living in wonderful Stanmore, inner western suburb of Sydney Australia, where the sun shines nic

Time to desktop and usable, old Dell computer

#1 Post by Dookus »

Was given a Dell 530s Celeron 420 1 gig ram, poorly Intel onboard Graphics, 160 gig disk, reset Vista to factory with factory disk, tweaked the hell out of it to make it useable, including making partition for swap 1 minute 51 seconds to desktop, unresponsive to clicks, some 40 odd seconds before responsive to clicks, thrashing slows at about 41 secs, thrashing continues further at a lesser level

Installed Puppy Slacko slacko-5.5-4G full install to HDD, 10gig OS 300meg swap.

22 seconds to desktop, HDD not thrashing instant response to clicking on icons, programs start no delay etc.

Have a Dell AMD duel core with 2 gig ram, has vista licence but no disk, have XP licence that I will use, will see how that stands up.
5 or of 5 voices in my head say "Boot to Puppy" ... they are mad, it's the only option!
Registered Linux User 533331

Dookus
Location: now living in wonderful Stanmore, inner western suburb of Sydney Australia, where the sun shines nic

Dell Duel Core

#2 Post by Dookus »

Set the Dell up, seriously was quick and took 41 secs for XP to boot and be useful (though thrashing) and 40 secs for Puppy, I had this running on a corp copy of Vista for a short time to see what it ran like, it was terrible, I did not have the time to trim up the OS so it had some ability at all, it would sit unresponsive for a long time, I would walk away and come back and sometimes it was still thrashing and unresponsive, gave up and zero'd the drive and only just recently (1.5yrs or so later) got to doing anything with it.

benali72

perfect for a Pupp box...

#3 Post by benali72 »

That Dell 530 420 is at 1.6ghz CPU with 1 gig ram and 160 gig disk, if my google was correct. Perfect for a Puppy box. Can't believe they tried to run Vista on that, it probably performed pretty badly, as you note. If you still have the XP license that would be a great dual boot machine for Puppy and XP. That's the kind of machine Puppy does a great job bringing back to life.

Best of luck!

Dookus

Re: perfect for a Pupp box...

#4 Post by Dookus »

benali72 wrote:That Dell 530 420 is at 1.6ghz CPU with 1 gig ram and 160 gig disk, if my google was correct. Perfect for a Puppy box. Can't believe they tried to run Vista on that, it probably performed pretty badly, as you note. If you still have the XP license that would be a great dual boot machine for Puppy and XP. That's the kind of machine Puppy does a great job bringing back to life.

Best of luck!
Yup, that's the speed, the Mobo supported a lot of better CPU's, I got hold of a core 2 duo and that helped the unit perform on Windows better, I mainly use it with Puppy as it's safer online, sadly even though the ram is capable of faster FSB the bios shows 667 and is unconfigurable.

The AMD was worse than the Dell when I tried to run it on a corp copy of Vista to see what it performed like, could not even perform the tasks to gain some performance, gave up and zero'd the drive and stored it till recently.
Last edited by Dookus on Sun 22 Sep 2013, 20:25, edited 1 time in total.

darrelljon

#5 Post by darrelljon »

unbelievable that vista was installed on those.