Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 22 Aug 2014, 08:04
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Barry Kauler announces his retirement from Puppy
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 11 [154 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 9, 10, 11 Next
tronkel

PostPosted: Sat 21 Sep 2013, 11:49    Post subject:  Barry Kauler announces his retirement from Puppy
Subject description: Nothing is forever - not even Puppy

I was starting to think that Barry may be approaching retirement since his blog announcements have become rather infrequent recently.

He has in fact just announced his retirement here:
http://bkhome.org/blog2/?viewDetailed=00361

I really hope that this does not signal the end of the Puppy Linux project - it's too important to the Linux community for that to happen.

There is always the danger though, that without its lead developer, the project will just fade away to nothing.

So let's see if we can put together a project based on Puppy - call it the LABR project i.e (Life after Barry's retirement)?

Thanks for everything you've given us in these 10 years Barry. I wish you a happy and fulfilled retirement.

musher0

PostPosted: Sat 21 Sep 2013, 11:55    Post subject:  

Hi, tronkel.

I too hope Puppy will continue, in whatever shape or form.

You may have noticed that anikin has already started a thread
on the same subject at
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=88877
I posted my thanks and best wishes to BarryK there.

Best regards.

musher0

Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Sat 21 Sep 2013, 15:55    Post subject:  

It seems to me the first step in keeping Puppy going the way it has, is to post a clear and complete description of how it works, etc., so everyone pulls in the same direction. In other words, detailed specifications of an operating system.

There may already be a wiki page and/or thread in this forum that can be expanded into such a thing.
splot

PostPosted: Sat 21 Sep 2013, 16:21    Post subject:  

Quote:
- call it the LABR project i.e (Life after Barry's retirement)?

It would be the LABR door?

LABRdoors are nice Puppies.
mistfire

PostPosted: Sat 21 Sep 2013, 17:31    Post subject: The project will not end but only frozen until obsolete  

Puppy Linux is an open source project, so it has no end but it will frozen only until it fades. It order to make puppy linux project continues w/o barry. I suggest the following:

1. Standardized the API in Puppy Linux
2. Standardized the Puppy Linux Core Structure

This factor will continue to exist Puppy Linux because of having a proper standardization in Building Puppy Linux. The puppy linux will become less fragmented, less ambiguity especially in app development for puppy and it can seen easily where puppy linux direction goes.
darry1966

PostPosted: Sat 21 Sep 2013, 22:09    Post subject: Re: The project will not end but only frozen until obsolete  

mistfire wrote:
Puppy Linux is an open source project, so it has no end but it will frozen only until it fades. It order to make puppy linux project continues w/o barry. I suggest the following:

1. Standardized the API in Puppy Linux
2. Standardized the Puppy Linux Core Structure

This factor will continue to exist Puppy Linux because of having a proper standardization in Building Puppy Linux. The puppy linux will become less fragmented, less ambiguity especially in app development for puppy and it can seen easily where puppy linux direction goes.

Puppy Linux has never been "standardised" and thrived on different people taking Puppy and making many variants on the same leading to new ideas - the best of which feed back into the "mainstream" Pup.

We would have no Akita, MacPup, LegacyOS etc.

One Puppy Linux is no guarantee of success anyway we have different users legacy , newer machines.

While it isn't possible to replace Barry I'm sure different forum members have some ideas on newer projects for Puppy and it won't be a case of Barry will do it mentality.

Sure Barry leaves a hole but I'm sure there is a lot of creativity and thinking outside the box existing in this community.
darkcity

PostPosted: Sun 22 Sep 2013, 03:44    Post subject:  

Flash wrote:
It seems to me the first step in keeping Puppy going the way it has, is to post a clear and complete description of how it works, etc., so everyone pulls in the same direction. In other words, detailed specifications of an operating system.

There may already be a wiki page and/or thread in this forum that can be expanded into such a thing.

some of that information is here, technical details-
http://puppylinux.com/development/howpuppyworks.html

aims-
http://puppylinux.com/about.htm

tronkel

PostPosted: Sun 22 Sep 2013, 04:35    Post subject:  

splot wrote:

Quote:

Didn't think of that. Well spotted!

tronkel

PostPosted: Sun 22 Sep 2013, 04:51    Post subject:  

Darry 1966 wrote:

Quote:
Sure Barry leaves a hole but I'm sure there is a lot of creativity and thinking outside the box existing in this community.

Maybe we don't need to be so concerned that Barry won't be the lead developer any longer. If you think about it, the main piece of philosophy that underpins this distro is: "keep it minimalist and fast, but yet full-featured". Does it really matter with what software designs this philosophy is implemented?

OK, Barry has always had his own style of doing things - a very difficult (impossible) thing for others to follow. In that sense he is irreplaceable - but, in matters of software development and design of systems, there is always more than one way to to skin a cat. (Sorry, canine that should be - only joking of course).

The philosophical principle always outlives its original inventor. So if this Puppy-style philosophy is adhered to and applied, there's no reason why the project cannot continue - albeit perhaps not exactly in the identical form as before.

Maybe a good thing in the long run?

Fossil

PostPosted: Sun 22 Sep 2013, 10:44    Post subject:  

Quote:
".... call it the LABR project i.e (Life After Barry's Retirement)?"

A-dvancing, D-own, O-ther, R-outes?

L-A-B-R-A-D-O-R!
Sums up a nice pooch!
musher0

PostPosted: Sun 22 Sep 2013, 11:07    Post subject:  

splot wrote:
Quote:
- call it the LABR project i.e (Life after Barry's retirement)?

Hi, splot.

Cute comment on a cute dog! And they're Canadian, too! Smile
(Just being patriotic!)

BFN.

musher0

musher0

PostPosted: Sun 22 Sep 2013, 11:10    Post subject:  

Flash wrote:

Hi, Flash.

I'll second that. Otherwise, there'll be lots of "mongrels".

BFN.

musher0

musher0

PostPosted: Sun 22 Sep 2013, 22:38    Post subject:  

Another idea would be a "best practices" Puppy as a hinge between the two eras -- with Barry and after Barry.
simargl8

PostPosted: Mon 23 Sep 2013, 03:50    Post subject:  

Barry is leaving because he needs more time to "puppyfy" ubuntu and he's more interested in
phone-desktop all-in-one hardware. Since there is no one to continue as project leader, should
we call Puppy Linux "discontinued" or just "dormant" distribution? Puppy was nice operating
system, one of the best in its category, thanks to Barry and other contributors.
bark_bark_bark

PostPosted: Mon 23 Sep 2013, 07:22    Post subject:  

simargl8 wrote:
Barry is leaving because he needs more time to "puppyfy" ubuntu and he's more interested in
phone-desktop all-in-one hardware. Since there is no one to continue as project leader, should
we call Puppy Linux "discontinued" or just "dormant" distribution? Puppy was nice operating
system, one of the best in its category, thanks to Barry and other contributors.

pupifying ubuntu has nothing to do with why he left.

Barry's Blog2 wrote:
I will likely keep my "hand in", doing some Puppy-related things. For example, I am interested in the Ubuntu Phone project, and if it does get to actual released converged phone-desktop hardware, I would like to play with that.

Another idea that I have been thinking about is to create a DEB package for Ubuntu, that "puppyfies" an Ubuntu installation. Because, that is what I do anyway, whenever I install Ubuntu. It would be nice to have one DEB to transform the user interface to a close-to-Puppy experience.

And earlier in the post

Barry's Blog2 wrote:
I don't plan to just suddenly pull the plug, rather just put Woof (and Puppy) in "maintenance mode" for the next year (or as long as I deem necessary), while a few things get sorted out.

"Maintenance mode" means that I will continue to work on Woof, but just focused on essential fixes, rather than any new features.

"Sorting things out", includes who will want to continue with hosting the Woof Fossil repository, who will be responsible for puppylinux.com. Or, if not "who", singular, then what group of people.

Page 1 of 11 [154 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 9, 10, 11 Next
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Jump to: