Rewards are available if you have creative ideas.

For discussions about programming, programming questions/advice, and projects that don't really have anything to do with Puppy.
gcmartin

Rewards are available if you have creative ideas.

#1 Post by gcmartin »

Innovation. this is what development brings to the IT arena. Many useful ideas can net you trips, rewards, and bonuses from many different areas.

Here's a successful duo who won such on Innovation and a novel use(s) of technology.

Kinda makes you smile at the opportunities that are available. Cheers! :)

Ted Dog

#2 Post by Ted Dog »

Are we reading the same Man bashing editorial, When men have to apologize for being men?
No apology to being subjected to woman's products or topics!

Q5sys

Re: Rewards are available if you have creative ideas.

#3 Post by Q5sys »

gcmartin wrote:Innovation. this is what development brings to the IT arena. Many useful ideas can net you trips, rewards, and bonuses from many different areas.

Here's a successful duo who won such on Innovation and a novel use(s) of technology.

Kinda makes you smile at the opportunities that are available. Cheers! :)
I'm so glad this ended up in the 'Programming' section of this forum.
An article on Sexism in the Tech sector fits so well along side all the Programming talk in this sub-forum.

Perhaps this would be better under "Truly off-topic conversations".

gcmartin

Re: Rewards are available if you have creative ideas.

#4 Post by gcmartin »

@Q5sys, my lusty friend, you really don't get it? I wont even try to explain "innovation" to you. ... Nor "irony". ... nor ...Oh, why bother with you. You dont get it. :lol:

Just another of your opportunities to DERAIL

tlchost

Your very own forum

#5 Post by tlchost »

gcmartin and Q5sys....you guys need you very own forum to launch brick-bats and snipe attacks.

I'd be happy to set one up for you two on a domain that I never view.

Just say the word and you can tilt spears.

Thom

gcmartin

Q5sys objects:"Rewards available if you have creative ideas"

#6 Post by gcmartin »

Sorry @tlchost (and everyone else who also is tired of the exchanges)

Q5sys appears to live and breathe everything I expel. On one hand, I am flattered to know that there is someone on the planet, other than my love and kids, who find what I say so compelling that he follows with constant "GCMartin this ..." and "GCMartin that ...". If I didn't guess better I say he/she has a physical fascination with me. :lol:

But, his fascination aside, his approaches are to "derail" threads. :(

You (or I) and certainly no one else in this forum is going to have any impact on his behavior. Because he doesn't get it, there is little that can be done to curve his derailment behavior. I'm sure that he will attack back with "his freedom of speech" as if the PLDF is his constitutional right to attack anyone or derail any thread he chooses. And, as long as he continues to wage his derailment wars, I will certainly make obvious his behavior.

That's the problem we're facing. I will cease, when he ceases his derailment attempts. :idea:

James C

#7 Post by James C »

I don't wish to burst any bubbles but the main point of the linked article in the original post is sexism in the tech sector...... not innovation (other than the brief mention of winning an award). Intentional or not,the original post is misleading.
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/digital ... 2tflb.html
The Sydney duo's presentation had the mainly male audience laughing, but angered Twitter users and reignited a debate about sexism in the technology sector.
The remainder of the article continues in the same vein.

I fully realize that any discussion in the threads started by some forum members is somehow considered to be attacks, which often leads to mysterious thread removals so....... thread is archived for posterity.

Q5sys

#8 Post by Q5sys »

James C wrote:I don't wish to burst any bubbles but the main point of the linked article in the original post is sexism in the tech sector...... not innovation (other than the brief mention of winning an award). Intentional or not,the original post is misleading.
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/digital ... 2tflb.html
The Sydney duo's presentation had the mainly male audience laughing, but angered Twitter users and reignited a debate about sexism in the technology sector.
The remainder of the article continues in the same vein.

I fully realize that any discussion in the threads started by some forum members is somehow considered to be attacks, which often leads to mysterious thread removals so....... thread is archived for posterity.
This is precisely why I felt the thread was in the wrong place, since the webpage linked and the article have nothing to do with innovation and nothing to do with "useful ideas can net you trips, rewards, and bonuses from many different areas."

But if someone would rather make passive aggressive comments about me, instead of posting something about programming in the programming forum. I guess that's ok. I'm used to being verbally attacked and mocked by gcmartin.

JamesC, I think this is less about shooting the message and more about shooting the messanger. Notice that TedDog made a comment about the subject of the link being about sexism and not about innovation - but I was the one who gcmartin lashed out at. Which is fine, I wouldnt want anyone to be verbally attacked for making comments in this forum. I dont know why verbal attacks are tollerated here. I try to be respectful to others in the forum, so I'd rather someone lash out at me instead of someone else.

gcmartin

#9 Post by gcmartin »

If the comment started from someone else, that would be understood and would have gotten the proper response. But, the tradition of Q5sys is to derail. That generated the result.

The idea for innovation is how the programmers were able to show a Tech group that they would respond with something of interest. As Hollywood does things, the chaps probably thought that to develop and present in this vain would be in-line and met with "Jolly".

They also managed to get their name in lights, maybe not with the expectation of what resulted, but with some viewing their work as over the top.

They were trying to be "innovative", but their innovation was not met with media/public approval after the laughter that they got.

Many in this forum present innovation. And, as such, if presented to the right event planners, will be rewarded with invitations, travel costs, housing cost, places to build and a slot to present.

You or I may not like their work or presentation, but, it did get an eyelid raised and a chuckled from some.

In song, I might like the beat, but may not like the word.
In comedy, I might like the artist, but may not like a particular subject.
In entertainment, at an awards assembly, I might like the entertainer but it may be a little Miley...

In IT, I always find the work done as being very creative in approaches. This was one.

If you missed that, or didn't want to see it, that's OK.

Hope this helps for those who chose to make a fight of it.

Cheers :D

Q5sys

#10 Post by Q5sys »

gcmartin wrote:If the comment started from someone else, that would be understood and would have gotten the proper response. But, the tradition of Q5sys is to derail. That generated the result.
Thanks for admitting that you attack me regardless of the content of my posts. I've suspected this for a while, it's nice to finally have a confirmation.

gcmartin

Let's move on

#11 Post by gcmartin »

You make some really outlandish twists, dont you. ...attacking you ... no. Rather, ..."Exposing you ..." :D

Now, you're here for more derailments.

If you have any other ideas for derailment, why not stop interruption on threads as you follow me, and post to an area where we don't have to involve the others. There you go forward with posting by sentences and twisting with your idea of its true meaning. You are a mess as you follow me.

Maybe its time you STOP quoting others and begin to express your very own ideas as YOUR IDEAS and not use the comments/ work of others in order for you to make a contribution. And, further, MAKE A CONTRIBUTION versus your behavior patterns as you follow me!

I know "you dont get it", but here's the area designated for yours and my engagements, BELOW. Let's move your differences with what I do to that area and concentrate it for all to see WHO WOULD SO WANT TO. This way, you dont have to come to a thread and look for a means to derail/disrupt versus making a genuine contribution. As for me, most everything I have seen from you is far less than a genuine contribution without an atatch derogatory comment.

I hope you understand,even this: An area for your and my comments. :lol:

Here's your thread Q5Sys.

For the rest of us, lets move on.

Q5sys

Re: Let's move on

#12 Post by Q5sys »

gcmartin wrote:Maybe its time you STOP quoting others and begin to express your very own ideas as YOUR IDEAS and not use the comments/ work of others in order for you to make a contribution. And, further, MAKE A CONTRIBUTION versus your behavior patterns as you follow me!
Last I checked, one of us is a developer here who actively helps build programs and releases for the community, and helps assist with debugging of other developer's releases. I think my continual contributions to this community stand for themselves.
How much code have you contributed to the Puppy Linux Community lately... or should I say; ever?

To keep it on topic... Since this thread is about rewards for creative ideas... Lets see what my reward for my efforts here has been --- Well, apparently it's to be verbally attacked by you repeatedly and to have you make up lies about my actions on this forum.

James C

Re: Let's move on

#13 Post by James C »

gcmartin wrote: I hope you understand,even this: An area for your and my comments. :lol:

Here's your thread Q5Sys.
Results in....
The topic or post you requested does not exist
This post is most certainly on topic based on the new direction of this thread...... I merely refuse to include personal attacks.
To quote a great humanitarian.....
Have a nice day.

gcmartin

#14 Post by gcmartin »

Q5Sys. Ah gee! You want to be seen as "important". OK, you're IMPORTANT! (Feel better or will your anger just continue?)

So just stop following and derailing. Quotes and twists can NOT be considered by you as a contribution.

You really dont get it.
P.S. For the good things you have done, keep up the good work. ... please.

mavrothal

#15 Post by mavrothal »

So, to keep with the programming section, would it possible to write a php (or something) script that would move threads that have more than 2 posts/page from gcmartin and Q5sys to the "entertainment" section? :shock:

gcmartin:Please stick with puppylinux use/issues (or development if you can) in this forum. There are other fora for general technology discussions/news/prospective/ideas etc. Please use these instead of the puppylinux one.
Q5sys: Please let things go sometimes. If something is really inappropriate I'm sure that someone else from the 20000 forum members, will pick it up and respond. If not means that is not really important, so why bother?

gcmartin/Q5sys: Please do not respond to this post :lol:
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

jamesbond

#16 Post by jamesbond »

mavrothal wrote:So, to keep with the programming section, would it possible to write a php (or something) script that would move threads that have more than 2 posts/page from gcmartin and Q5sys to the "entertainment" section? :shock:
Mav, I will have to disagree with you here.

Posts from Q5sys are often well-thought, well-researched, well-laid out and presented, and most importantly backed-up with facts and references --- I'm sure Q5sys spent considerable effort for preparing them --- even if the original topic or post that he was responding too was vague or ridiculous.

It would be a *big loss* if posts of these qualities are quarantined or hidden, just because gcmartin always tries to ridicule or belittle him - I for one never see him "derail" a thread, all his posts are almost always on-topic (in gcmartin's threads or in other people's threads too), so such claims, for me, is ridiculous - especially when the one making the claim cannot provide the proofs.
Q5sys: Please let things go sometimes. If something is really inappropriate I'm sure that someone else from the 20000 forum members, will pick it up and respond. If not means that is not really important, so why bother?

I think Q5sys is doing a public service by straightening out claims, and trying to put some sense to it. Many would probably won't bother (myself included) - because some of us can see through them straightaway. But there are also many who won't or can't, and this forum for the better or worse "represents" Puppy Linux to the rest of the world, so it's a good service that Q5sys slices and breaks down the ideas and analyse and question them with great details --- constantly reminding us to be critical of "the idea" being presented (instead of swallowing them unchecked just because the poster has a high-post count).

This particular thread isn't a good example since the topic is trivial (and even wrong to begin with, it has *nothing* to do with programming *whatsoever*); but there are other threads that are (and for whatever reason, some of those threads were deleted - just because somebody disagrees with it - even though they contain useful information) - e.g. the "Touch" thread.

As for me, I would be happy to have someone whose real-life profession is IT Security Consultant to provide his opinions on various subjects here. He may not have the 25/35/40 years of experience that gcmartin claims to have, but so far I know that I can disagree with him, and argue with him based on logic and facts rather than dropping down to shaming and name calling because one doesn't like my argument.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

mavrothal

#17 Post by mavrothal »

Jamesbond,
after 20-30 incidences, I doubt people pay attention to the actual content and arguments. And those who do usually have (can form) an opinion on the subject even without them.
Regarding the forum members involved, after 3000 and 1000 post respectively people have some opinion about who is who and what is what. Newcomers will find out soon too.

Now, if you look at page views, single posts get ~100 views half of them by bots.
If you open a discussion you go to thousands. If from these thousands 5% gets the "wrong idea" you have done more harm than good (and that's assuming that all views of the original "went" with the post).
So, if you think that something is wrong/stupid/silly/misplaced etc (but not too damaging or offensive to demand a response) the most effective way to minimize its impact is just to ignore it!

...I think...
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

cimarron

#18 Post by cimarron »

gcmartin and Q5sys, can't you see that you're in love with each other?

jpeps

#19 Post by jpeps »

jamesbond wrote:
I think Q5sys is doing a public service by straightening out claims, and trying to put some sense to it.
I think Q5sys was correct about the topic being more suited to off topic conversations. However, there are better ways of handling ongoing disputes than posting lengthy personal defenses while continuing to provide critiques ( in this case, a sarcastic critique). gcmartin has his own style of posting, and references some interesting articles regarding new developments. This particular article wasn't one of my favorites, but I can let it go at that. The moderator can place it in a more appropriate category if desired.

greengeek

#20 Post by greengeek »

It's interesting that technology has advanced to the point where a couple of adolescent tit-heads can program an app that lets guys perv at chicks.

If programming an app has become that easy then it has to be a good thing surely?