Installing Puppy 2.10 Professional

Booting, installing, newbie
davec51

Installing Puppy 2.10 Professional

#1 Post by davec51 »

I tried this interesting variety, liked it, and was all set to install it to my NTFS hd, when I discovered that it doesn't contain the GRUB Configuration system or GParted. So with Universal Installer I can install it to my entire HD (200 giant gigs), where the files will sit without possibility, by me at least, of booting the OS. Help, as you can see, is urgently required.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

I haven't installed Puppy to a hard drive so this is just a guess, but I would consider installing regular Puppy 2.10 to the hard drive, including GRUB, get it working, then overwrite that installation with the Professional Puppy files. To prepare it for installing Professional Puppy you can partition the hard drive using a regular Puppy 2.10 CD. Sorry I can't be more help. :(
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

davec51

Installing Puppy Professional -- solved!

#3 Post by davec51 »

Flash, you had the answer, though I didn't do it exactly as you suggested. I booted up the Live CD of Puppy 2.10, partitioned my HD, installed GRUB. Then I just inserted the Professional CD and used the Universal Installer. Simple, neat, no expertise required beyond literacy. Thanks.
Now if I could get GRUB to list my main Windows partition first instead of second, my wife would be able to boot up with a single keystroke. This is important in some marriages.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

Your way is much neater. I was not sure that overwriting the existing files wouldn't get to be pretty sticky.

There's a lot in the forum about configuring GRUB. I think there are some links in here.

Incidentally, is there any other Linux distro that allows so much freedom to make things work?

Rhino

#5 Post by Rhino »

Grub and Gparted are present, but they were removed from the menu so a "new" user won't accidentally wipe their system.

You can find them in /usr/local/bin I think.

Thanks for trying the Professional version...let me know how it goes!

Rhino
Visit the Puppy Linux Video Tutorials @ http://rhinoweb.us

raffy

menu.lst

#6 Post by raffy »

You can edit the menu.lst file in boot/grub to place the desired partition block up (so it will be the first to be loaded). You can even un-comment the timeout (remove #) so it will automatically boot the default after some milliseconds.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].