Gnome Nautilus or PCmanfm "Filled"

Requests go here. If you fill a request, give it a new thread in the appropriate category and then link to it in the request thread.
graydogs

Gnome Nautilus or PCmanfm "Filled"

#1 Post by graydogs »

I don't need Gnome just The Nautilus File Manager for puppy if that is possible with out gnome 3 or even gnome, Nautilus as a standalone puppy package PET, or SFS. Currently I'm using Puppy Lupu 528 but am considering switching to Precise 5.7.1 so a PET or SFS for either one those would be okay I would rather have a PET but I'll take whatever I can get. Thank you.

https://projects.gnome.org/nautilus/screenshots.html
Last edited by graydogs on Thu 19 Sep 2013, 01:52, edited 3 times in total.

disciple

#2 Post by disciple »

Can't you install packages from the Ubuntu or Debian repositories in Lupu?
But you might want to explain why you need it.
Nautilus normally pulls in all sorts of dependencies, so there is no such thing as "just" Nautilus. But if you disable a bunch of features you might get rid of some dependencies.
Anyway, Nautilus is rubbish to use (at least the current version). I would recommend Pcmanfm instead.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

graydogs

#3 Post by graydogs »

Can't you install packages from the Ubuntu or Debian repositories in Lupu?

yes.

I loaded up Lupu and checked the Ubuntu repositories and I found that it has both Nautilus and Pcmanfm. So I guess that solves my problem. Thanks for the help though. All the best.

graydogs

#4 Post by graydogs »

I'm sorry to reopen my post but the thing is after I found Nautilus and Pcmanfm in the Ubuntu repositories I thought that would work after installing them neither of them work with Lupu 528. Even with all their dependencies installed Nautilus doesn't show up in the menu and Pcmanfm does but when I click on it a window pop's up that say's program does not exist.

I found a Pet Package for Pcmanfm on here but they had problems with it to is there a better working package of Pcmanfm. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=51828

I'm going update the title of the post to Gnome Nautilus or PCmanfm because I'll take either one that works.

Or I'm going switch over to Precise 5.7.1 I just need to burn a CD I'm on windows right now and hope that the newer Ubuntu has a version that will work with puppy. Thanks for the help.

disciple

#5 Post by disciple »

That's a very old Pcmanfm in that thread.
There is an .sfs with the latest version which I pointed someone towards a couple of days ago - I think it bundled several lxde components.
I suspect you'll find nautilus is in the menu, but just calls itself "file manager" or something.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

graydogs

#6 Post by graydogs »

I think an SFS of Pcmanfm would be the way to go, I've found several pet packages but none them work with Lupu 528. Still haven't tried precise.

I'm ready to give up I think I'll just stay with using thunar it works and is a bit better than Rox. I was hoping to find a File manager that was more close to windows explorer or that has more extended functions than thunar.

All the best..

Edit: I loaded up Precise 5.7.1 and installed Pcmanfm from the Ubuntu repository it worked fine I would tried nautilus too but it took so many dependencies I didn't won't to install it. I like precise so much I am done with lupu. Thanks for putting up with me. lol