Playlist copier script

Requests go here. If you fill a request, give it a new thread in the appropriate category and then link to it in the request thread.
Dromeno

Playlist copier script

#1 Post by Dromeno »

I really love the clementine player because of the smart playlists. If you have a 1TB hdd full of music and you want (for instance) a playlist with only songs from 1968 you can create it and save it as m3u or pls.

But it would be even greater if you can use the info in the m3u file to copy the songs in the playlist in one click from the different folders on the harddisk to another directory (for instance on a mp3 player)

So, is there a code writer in the room who can feed the m3u info into a script which results in a copy action?

Dromeno

Its in pMusic

#2 Post by Dromeno »

OK I could have known this. Zigbert already did it, the feature is in Pmusic. Only pMusic does not have a smart playlist option yet. But since Clementine has it you can create a smart playlist in there, save it as m3u, then open the m3u in pmusic and copy the whole shebang to your mp3 player.

zigbert

#3 Post by zigbert »

Dromeno
I am working on pMusic 4, and suggested improvements are very interesting.

The smartadd in pMusic are limited to add a (random) nr of tracks from the sourcelist. So to get 30 tracks from 1968, you have to search for "1968" and then run the smartadd. BUT, this require 2 things.
- the file must have the year-tag set
- the db must be updated with these tags. Which is done automatically as you play these songs. But for a full update of the db, this must be started by the user in menu>music sources>setup.

For such cases, I often use another approach. The Top-Hits plugin auto-generates a playlist from 1968 (or any other date) based on billboard/UK-hits/VG-lista(norway). After downloading the hit-list, the plugin scans the pmusic db to see what track are there. This way the year-tag is not required. And even if I have many tags set, I get surprised which songs that belong to a specific year.

The Top-Hits plugin is even more useful in combination with the Radio-Hits module (streamripper) that often gives me tracks I have never heard or know....

But back to the smartadd. A plan to offer a filtering based on how many times you have played the track earlier. This way I can randomize from a bigger source, but still be sure that added tracks are of my liking.
I am not familiar with Clementine.

Thank you for any suggestions
Sigmund

Dromeno

BPM detection and other ideas for pMusic4

#4 Post by Dromeno »

A feature which I like in Jajuk is the "automatic dj" which can create a playlist based on datra such as genre / bpm. The result sounds very 'professional' (especially in combination with crossfade) and it is superb for the creation of fitness / workout playlists. But there is a catch: you will first have to figure out what the bpm of a given song is.

I know of only one player (Banshee) which is able to scan an entire music collection for beats per minute and add it to the tag. However I do not know yet how accurate it is.

Internet info: players such as Clementine and Jajuk draw artist and song info from wikipedia. But in many cases allmusic.com is more accurate. Or how about "find more from this artist at Youtube" (plus mp4 download / conversion to mp3)?

zigbert

#5 Post by zigbert »

bmp - This must be supported by a backend before pMusic can offer it.

web-info - pMusic can not offer html code inside the gui, since gtkdialog doesn't support it. Even if it did, I wouldn't do so. pMusic is meant to be a simple player, without too much clutter in the gui. pMusic 4 is going to be simpler to use but also more powerful. On the other side, pMusic already offers links to web-pages with artist-info. This is found in the 'Artist' tab in the trackinfo window.

Smartadd - could you please specify what features you miss.

Thank you
Sigmund

Dromeno

BPM scanner backends for pMusic?

#6 Post by Dromeno »

Sorry - I totally forgot to answer the bpm question.

Here are a couple of interesting test results for bpm scanners:

http://jorgenmodin.net/index_html/archi ... e-on-linux

In my experience the Abyssmedia BPM Counter indeed works superb, be it not on mp3 or flac files, it can not scan files in folders within folders, it is for windows (works under wine) and -most annoying- it does not update the id3 tags (despite the promise in the options menu!), so you have to perform a scan everytime you want to use an album for a mix..

Soundstretch and/or bpmcount might be usable as backend?

Summary: I would like to have a tool which can scan a harddisk full of (wav/flac/mp3) music files for bpm (files which might be stored in folders within folders within folders) then save the bpm info in the id3 tags.

New option: show the collection in some kind of file manager ranked from highest to lowest bpm.

In music player: create playlist with songs of a given bpm or from within a bpm range.

In music player: detect the bpm of a song when it plays, store that info in the tag

Dromeno

other bpm counting options

#7 Post by Dromeno »

Zigbert (if you are still willing to give it a try), here are a couple of other ideas for backends:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/86113/ho ... -of-a-song

zigbert

#8 Post by zigbert »

Dromeno
Thanks for the links.
I would personally benefit of a bpm search, so I have added it to the wish-list. An external backend would work, but break the main target of being a player strictly bound to only alsa and ffmpeg. But, it could of course been made as a plugin (for now, that is not an option for my spare time. Maybe someone else...)

On the other hand, it wouldn't surprise me if we will see a bpm-filter in ffmpeg in the future. NO. I don't have any inside information and I have not made any request. But recently there have been actively added other audio-filters ie silence-detect and volume-detect. The way to bmp-detect shouldn't be long technologically.

Sigmund