X-precise-2.4 Final

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
mikeslr

X-precise-2.1.1 PAE working on Asprire One D270

#81 Post by mikeslr »

Hi rg66,

Thank you again for continuing work on a great Pup. I reported on the Puppy on Laptop thread that it works on the Acer Aspire One D270 because of the importance of that information to those burdened by any of the chips listed in the above sub-heading. When computers bearing them came to market, drivers were developed only by Ubuntu Precise Pangolin. As far as I can tell, Ubuntu hasn't for subsequent releases. And pleas for assistance together with silence from "major" distribution suggest that perhaps Puppy is the only distribution generating operating systems which handle them.
Like most netbooks, the D270 is sold with only 1 Gb of RAM. It can support a maximum of 2 Gbs. So I'll be interested in finding out if the non-Pae kernel will work. Which kernel did you use?
Because it enabled me to search for, as well as listen to, streaming radio, one of my favorite apps under Carolina was Clementine. If I recall correctly, it had Qt as a dependency. It was based on Amarok, which after a long period of inaction has just release version 2.8. In the interim, I suspect that those who developed Clementine found other things to do. I'm guessing and would be interested in what actually happened, is happening.
While there are other apps for playing radio streams, finding them when you're on vacation and the ones you like may not be available is another story.
Suggestions on how to get Clementine working, or an alternative for finding and playing radio stream would be welcome.

mikesLr

rg66

#82 Post by rg66 »

@mikeslr

Good to hear your liking X-precise, it makes all the effort worth while.

The kernel in non-pae is 3.2.48

Did you try installing clementine from the repo? Looking at it and all the deps in ppm did my head in so I didn't try. I really miss a dedicated repo like Carolina has.

Mplayer does play streaming audio, open Mplayer > File > Open location and paste a url. As an example, I pasted http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/listen/live/r1_aaclca.pls and it played no probs.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

mikeslr

non-pae doesn't support Acer D270's graphics

#83 Post by mikeslr »

Hi rg66,

I built the non-pae iso and installed it on the Acer Aspire One D270. Didn't boot to desktop, hanging on a grey screen. Don't feel bad. As I said above the PAE-enabled version works fine. I don't think the graphics chip was supported before the 3.6 kernel, maybe even later.
I'll try the clementines again and take careful notes as to what Pups say are missing/going wrong.
Keep up the good work. Rome wasn't built in a day. Then, again, neither was Detroit.

mikesLr

rg66

#84 Post by rg66 »

FYI

I'm currently working on X-slacko-1.0 based on slacko 5.6, that should be released in a day or two. A non-pae version is also in the plans.

X-precise and non-pae 2.2 will come out sometime after that. There are only a few small changes, nothing important as of yet.

pchan

#85 Post by pchan »

Hi rg66,

I am glad that you are going to create x slacko.

At least there will be more choices.

Precise is great but I just couldn't understand how to correctly use the pakage manager.

I tried to download filezilla using pakage manager and even agreed to download all the dependencies pakage manager suggested. Unfortunately it didn't work. There was no menu entry in the first place. I searched /user/share/ but I just can't find a way to start filezilla.

Finally, I downloaded filezilla from lucid repo. After installing it, everything went smoothly. I was happy to see a menu entry. i could launched filezilla easily and very quickly, I could download and upload files from my Android tablet.

The same thing happened with bleachbit. After downloading bleachbit with all the dependencies, I couldn't get it to work.

In the case of mousepad, i decided not to download all the dependencies pakage manager suggested because it is just a simple text editor. I received a warning from pakage manager. But nevertheless, mousepad worked.

So, i think precise is great because it has some compatibility with ubuntu precise. However, using pakage manager can be quite a hassle. It is better to go to your xprecise link and download apps for manual installations. Unfortunately, apps in quirky / precise are very limited.

Since lucid is also from ubuntu, I may be wrong but it looks like apps from lucid will stand better chance of working with puppy precise.

I like to continue using precise puppy even though i am struggling with pakage manager. I do like slacko and i find that slacko has always been stable. Slack always proved to be a good base for puppy linux. Apps are also quite easy to find thanks to 01micko.

Looking forward to slacko with some saluki/carolina flavor.

dawg

#86 Post by dawg »

This is most excellent to have a Lina-flavoured (Xfce, Thunar, Adrive) "regular" Puppy! (I had thought about it myself at some point, in fact, but I've been away...)

Looking forward to the Slacko version, as for some reason, I'm not fond of Ubuntu puppies; maybe it's the Ubuntu repositories' short "expiration dates", and perhaps also some Barry's "quirks".
And I've been wondering what's with the sudden, somewhat recent growing-in-size of the flagship puppies, as Puppy used to be tiny (100-120 MB).
But I digress...

Thanks for all your efforts, rg66 ! Looking forward to your releases!

PS: If possible, maybe you could make some sort of a "multi-Puppy Lina conversion pack". You know - a PET or SFS to install onto the "regular" puppies as new versions get released, thereby converting them to "Lina/Saluki" easily and quickly. But I realize this might not be such an easy task due to some differences among the distros (I guess?).

COME TO THINK OF IT, I've been wondering before, how come the flagship Puppies haven't adopted the Xfce/Thunar yet, as it is more "familiar" to Windows users and other non-Puppy Linux users, and thereby easier to transition to!
Maybe it used to be the size "issue", but it is now time for this "upgrade"?
I don't hate JWM/Rox, but it's kind of "1995" (i.e. not very "attractive").
I used to only like Puppy as a friend, but now I think our relationship is starting to develop into something more... :D

rg66

#87 Post by rg66 »

@ dawg

Thanks, It's good to hear a few people are enjoying X-precise.

X-slacko is just about ready to release, just have to go over it and see what I missed/forgot and add adrive support. Should be out within the next 24 hrs.

I'm not sure why there are few Xfce puppies, it's a lot easier for Windows users to migrate to linux. Lxde is ok but I don't really like jwm/rox. As you can tell by my avatar, I'm a huge Xfce fan.

As far as a "conversion pack" goes, I was thinking of something like that but It might be a lot harder than it seems to have it work on different puppies. You never know, I might have a go at it one of these days.

yr1945

#88 Post by yr1945 »

X-precise -vs- X-slacko.... is there a benefit of one Xfce puppy over the other... or, is it just a preference?

Since it's introduction, I have been using X-precise as my main distro...

rg66

#89 Post by rg66 »

yr1945 wrote:X-precise -vs- X-slacko.... is there a benefit of one Xfce puppy over the other... or, is it just a preference?

Since it's introduction, I have been using X-precise as my main distro...
I'm not sure if there is too much difference other than the repo and a few apps. I've never tried woof but I would assume it uses Ubuntu or Slackware packages for building precise or slacko.

I decided to do X-slacko because it seems quite popular and I'm hoping the repo will be better. I'm currently using X-precise as my main OS but will switch to X-slacko when it's finished and pick the one I like the best.

kickstart

#90 Post by kickstart »

Over the last couple of years I have been trying various breeds of Puppy to find one that suits both me and my laptop so I can kick my Microsoft dependency into touch.
I really like X-precise 2.1.1 so far plus every other PAE enabled Pup I have tried has produced an unusual amount of processor activity at times, even with no applications running. With X-precise the processor is quieter with far less heat being thrown out by the fan.

However there is one glitch. I can’t double click and drag windows using the touchpad, neither can I drag the sliders on the scroll bar. Everything is fine using a mouse. When I try to use flSynclient to try and change touchpad parameters I get the error message “Couldn’t find synaptics properties. No synaptics driver loaded?

rg66

#91 Post by rg66 »

[quote="kickstart"] I can’t double click and drag windows using the touchpad, neither can I drag the sliders on the scroll bar. Everything is fine using a mouse. When I try to use flSynclient to try and change touchpad parameters I get the error message “Couldn’t find synaptics properties. No synaptics driver loaded?

kickstart

#92 Post by kickstart »

Try Xfce's "Mouse and Touchpad" in Control panel > hardware and see if that works.
Tried that already but there doesn't seem to be any adjustment that affects the behaviour I described.

Regarding the problem finding synaptics properties, this is not confined to x-precise, it happens using any of the several different puppy frugal installations I have on this laptop. It also happens when running live sessions from disc with no save file so it looks like a problem deeper in the computer. Running xorgwizard to update xorg.conf has no effect.

Despite this the touchpad works ok in all but X-precise PAE version and X-slacko where it's only the double tap and drag doesn't work. Double tap to open files & folders works fine. In Saluki the touchpad works fine in Xfce.

Have just tried X-precise live CD in my old Pentium 4 laptop and the touchpad and flSynclient work fine so there is definitely something odd going on with my new laptop and not X-precise.

sszindian

fd0 Floppy drive

#93 Post by sszindian »

X-Precise

Everything is already in X-Precise for the 'fd0 floppy drive' to function for those (like myself) who need it.

It's at-

/root/.pup_event/drive_fd0/AppRun

If you click on that, a dialog-box opens allowing you to 'MOUNT' the floppy drive.

After mounting it, click on the small 'Two-Drawer-Icon' in the dialog-box

The files on your floppy drive will display!

To 'UN-MOUNT' the drive, just click again on the-
/root/.pup_event/drive_fd0/AppRun, click on UNMOUNT.

FYI: I dragged the AppRun file out onto the desktop for easier access... looks a little rough (no nice icon) but saves going into the file each time to find it.
--------------------------------------------------
Probably X-Slacko will recognize this also? haven't tried it there.

Now... what would be nice is if someone could put this in- 'File Manager' in the 'DEVICES' list with all the other drives for easy access??? a .pet would be nice! but any instructions on 'How-To' would be a big help. The function for fd0 is there, why not utilize it.

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

baszek

#94 Post by baszek »

Hello
I am using newest lucid 5.7.1, but I really like X-precise with XFCE. Is it possible to copy my save file from lucid 5.7.1 (I have a lot of app installed) to new flash drive with X-precise ?

rg66

#95 Post by rg66 »

@ sszindian

Not sure about how to get the floppy to show in thunar, the drives are handled by pup-volume-monitor. I made a pet for you to try, it puts an icon on the desktop to mount and unmount fd0. Click the icon again to unmount.

Or, you can make a launcher on the desktop and point it to /root/.pup_event/drive_fd0/AppRun
Attachments
mntfd0-1.0.pet
(755 Bytes) Downloaded 347 times
Last edited by rg66 on Wed 09 Oct 2013, 07:45, edited 3 times in total.

rg66

#96 Post by rg66 »

baszek wrote:Hello
I am using newest lucid 5.7.1, but I really like X-precise with XFCE. Is it possible to copy my save file from lucid 5.7.1 (I have a lot of app installed) to new flash drive with X-precise ?
I believe lucid is at 5.28 or do you mean you have precise-5.7.1? Either way, I wouldn't recommend using a save file from a different OS.

sszindian

fd0 floppy drive

#97 Post by sszindian »

rg66:

'Thanks' that little .pet for the fd0 drive does a good job! :wink:

>>>---Indian------>

rg66

Re: fd0 floppy drive

#98 Post by rg66 »

sszindian wrote:'Thanks' that little .pet for the fd0 drive does a good job! :wink:
I've updated the mount fd0 pet to work a little better.

sszindian

fd0

#99 Post by sszindian »

rg66:

The new .pet for the fd0 drive... nice, the only thing noticable is it unmounts itself when the file is closed... anything else?

>>>---Indian------>

rg66

Re: fd0

#100 Post by rg66 »

sszindian wrote:The new .pet for the fd0 drive... nice, the only thing noticable is it unmounts itself when the file is closed... anything else?
Not sure what you mean, when the file manager is closed or when a file off of fd0 is closed?