Precise VS Slacko

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
koulaxizis

Precise VS Slacko

#1 Post by koulaxizis »

I tried Puppy Precise 5.7.1, kept it for a week...

Too much useless pre-installed software, couldn't compile simple apps like Bombic, couldn't use git, permissions issues, missed desksetup and firewall state, various broken packages after using ppm. I'm kinda dissapointed...

Back to Slacko 5.5, the best Puppy i have used untill now...
[b]Christos Koulaxizis[/b]
[i]Woof woof from Greece![/i]

[color=darkred][url=https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppystuff/][ Puppy Stuff Repository ][/url][/color]

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

koulaxizis wrote:Too much useless pre-installed software
They were both built from woof. Don't they have basically the same set of pre-installed software?

Did these useless programs not work or were they just not useful to you personally?

koulaxizis

#3 Post by koulaxizis »

rcrsn51 wrote:
koulaxizis wrote:Too much useless pre-installed software
They were both built from woof. Don't they have basically the same set of pre-installed software?

Did these useless programs not work or were they just not useful to you personally?
There were several extra applications, like the torrent creator for example. You can do the same job with transmission. This is just an example that i remember, if i run it again i can mention more of these cases... And more, much more, the menus are double sized by the entries! But that's a small problem in comparison to the other problems...

[color=darkred][url=https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppystuff/][ Puppy Stuff Repository ][/url][/color]

sunburnt

#4 Post by sunburnt »

Hi Christos; Your good words for Slacko are enough to make me take a look at it.

I`ve messed with Lucid and Precise ( Ubuntu ) and had so many problems building apps.
And some of the other problems you spoke of also.

Puppy was ( is.? ) based on Slackware, perhaps it`s just a better O.S. match.

Maybe Slacko would be work better for building apps. from binary files.
And hopefully it has real dependency files so building apps. is not a nightmare.

I`m got Handbrake working in Precise, but it can`t initialize gstreamer and disables live preview.
All I find with Google is what appears to be a patch, really no help at all when using binary files

Making a Media Tools AppPkg: Handbrake, Avidemux, Asunder, Aqualung, Mplayer, and others.
Clicking the AppPkg will popup an app. menu that auto. selects the Slacko or Precise version in it.
If Precise keeps giving me headaches I may just drop it and do Slacko only. Depends on success.

koulaxizis

#5 Post by koulaxizis »

sunburnt wrote:Hi Christos; Your good words for Slacko are enough to make me take a look at it.

I`ve messed with Lucid and Precise ( Ubuntu ) and had so many problems building apps.
And some of the other problems you spoke of also.

Puppy was ( is.? ) based on Slackware, perhaps it`s just a better O.S. match.

Maybe Slacko would be work better for building apps. from binary files.
And hopefully it has real dependency files so building apps. is not a nightmare.

I`m got Handbrake working in Precise, but it can`t initialize gstreamer and disables live preview.
All I find with Google is what appears to be a patch, really no help at all when using binary files

Making a Media Tools AppPkg: Handbrake, Avidemux, Asunder, Aqualung, Mplayer, and others.
Clicking the AppPkg will popup an app. menu that auto. selects the Slacko or Precise version in it.
If Precise keeps giving me headaches I may just drop it and do Slacko only. Depends on success.
Precise gave me some really hard time...

I have compiled almost everything successfully using Slacko. And i prefer 5.5, the new version had some issues, on my pc at least...

Give it a try, i believe you will be pleased!