Openbox+Extras 1.1.2 (2013-03-01)

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
natgab

#41 Post by natgab »

vicmz,

I downloaded the Openbox+Extras Fat Edition, and installed to my Lxpuppy 13 install. I chose Tint2 and did not install LXpanel. It gave me the Window Manager changer ( KDE / Openbox ), but it left me stuck in Openbox.

It also did not seem to work correctly, it would not allow wallpaper changer to work. It also did not show the applications installed from the other WM, just what was included with the Openbox PET. I will just go back to my old version and then try Openbox on a clean copy of Slacko 5.4 I want to play around with Openbox too!
[b]Thinkpad T43[/b] / Pentium M 1.86Ghz / 2.0GB RAM / 100GB HD / 1024 x 768 XGA / Intel 915GM Video / Intel 8280FB Audio / Atheros AR5212 WIFI / DVD-CDRW-ROM / Ubuntu MATE 15.04 / LxPupTahr15.05

vicmz

#42 Post by vicmz »

natgab,

Please have in mind that this Openbox support is a minimalistic alternative for Puppy versions that haven't got Openbox or the full LXDE installed. Openbox and Lxpanel and PCManFM (the latter not included in the packages offered in this thread) are part of LXDE, so you don't actually need to install openbox_plus_extras if you already have LXDE (for example in Lxpup). As far as Tint2 is concerned, it works just for Slacko and Precise, you may have problems or not see it at all in Puppy derivatives since they're heavily modified versions of Puppy. The Tint2 panel offered in openbox_plus_extras doesn't work for Wary/Racy either, it needs some weird dependencies.

By the way, I'm now working more hours, so at the moment I haven't got enough time to build packages. I also have sight problems, that's why I'm in front of my computer less frequently. Hopefully I'll feel better, and have more time, by mid-April.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

natgab

#43 Post by natgab »

vicmz wrote:natgab,

Please have in mind that this Openbox support is a minimalistic alternative for Puppy versions that haven't got Openbox or the full LXDE installed. Openbox and Lxpanel and PCManFM (the latter not included in the packages offered in this thread) are part of LXDE, so you don't actually need to install openbox_plus_extras if you already have LXDE (for example in Lxpup). As far as Tint2 is concerned, it works just for Slacko and Precise, you may have problems or not see it at all in Puppy derivatives since they're heavily modified versions of Puppy. The Tint2 panel offered in openbox_plus_extras doesn't work for Wary/Racy either, it needs some weird dependencies.

By the way, I'm now working more hours, so at the moment I haven't got enough time to build packages. I also have sight problems, that's why I'm in front of my computer less frequently. Hopefully I'll feel better, and have more time, by mid-April.
---I think I used the wrong word. I did mean the Openbox / Tint2 combination. I did go and install to a standard version of Slacko 5.33, not the modified version I use with LXDE and KDE. Works great and now I will play around and edit the tint2 and the widgets once I read more on them. Hope you feel better.

This is what I have so far, I installed to my desktop instead of my laptop:

[b]Thinkpad T43[/b] / Pentium M 1.86Ghz / 2.0GB RAM / 100GB HD / 1024 x 768 XGA / Intel 915GM Video / Intel 8280FB Audio / Atheros AR5212 WIFI / DVD-CDRW-ROM / Ubuntu MATE 15.04 / LxPupTahr15.05

mikeslr

show desktop -- I miss it (Solved)

#44 Post by mikeslr »

Hi vicmz,

I got spoiled with Lupu's combination of Openbox + fbpanel. Although I really like your Openbox + lxpanel for use in Precise and raring, and think lxpanel is in many ways superior to fbpanel, I really miss the "show desktop" taskbar plugin. It seems to be missing from lxpanel. But perhaps I just missed it. I know its available if tint2 is chosen, but I'm not familiar with tint2. Can tint2 create a second panel? About 90% of what I do with a computer involves 10 applications. So five on the "taskbar/bottom-panel" plus 5 on a side panel means I rarely have to wade thru menus. But with 5 or six windows open, sometimes the best way for me to figure out what I'm going to do next is to minimize all the windows and then just open the two I currently need.Therefore, my work environment consists of two panels with one containing a "show desktop" mechanism.
I think "show desktop" has something to do with calling wincmd.so but that's where my knowledge ends.
Any chance it can be installed as a pet, or when you find the time to construct a new version of openbox?

Edit: Vicmz beat me too it by coming out with a new version of Openbox two months before I asked. How's that for being responsive to constructive criticism?http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=86206

Thanks,

mikesLr
Last edited by mikeslr on Wed 17 Jul 2013, 23:27, edited 1 time in total.

Moat

#45 Post by Moat »

mikeslr - I think what you are asking from LXPanel is already there -

Right-click an open area of the taskbar, select "Add/Remove Panel Items" from the pop-up menu, highlight "Minimize All Windows", click the "Add+" button - a two-window icon/button should show up on the panel/taskbar. At least it does for me, on Precise 5.6.1 with LXPanel 0.5.10.

Thanks soo much for the work you've done on these, vicmz! I really have grown to prefer the combination of Puppy/Openbox/LXPanel - light, fast, simple-yet-elegant, and easily configurable in all of the right ways - love it!

Eyes-Only

I couldn't have said...

#46 Post by Eyes-Only »

Moat wrote:"Thanks soo much for the work you've done on these, vicmz! I really have grown to prefer the combination of Puppy/Openbox/LXPanel - light, fast, simple-yet-elegant, and easily configurable in all of the right ways - love it!"
Amen! I quote you Moat because there's simply no way that I could have said it better myself! Hear! Hear! :)

Cheers/Amicalement!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

mikeslr

"Minimize All Windows" not in Openbox + Extras (Solved)

#47 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Moat,

How did you get your version of Lxpanel? The "Minimize All Windows" plugin is in Peebee's Lxde by SFS. See Photo at, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 833#694833. But not in vicmz's pet. See Attached. Which is curious. Peebee constructed the SFS from a late version Lxpup created by jejy69. In an earlier version, jejy69 thought it was already there. But it wasn't, so vicmz built a pet to include it. See http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 776#663776 and post following it. The plugin was incorporated in jejy69's subsequent Pups and so became part of Peebee's SFS.
So I agree with you completely. vicmz does great work: far beyond my capability. He has quietly contributed much toward Pups versatility and excellence.

I've tried vicmz's O+E version 1.1.2 and O+E version 1.1. Unfortunately, vicmz's pet didn't work with either. Was the plugin included his "Older version 005"?

mikesLr

Edit: Later the same day: The mystery is solved: vicmz has a newer version. It can be found here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=86206
Attachment deleted as no longer relevant.

vicmz

#48 Post by vicmz »

Hello everyone, and thanks so much for your nice words, they're really motivating. Of course you guys know most of the job has been previously done by a long list of other people including many members of this forum - I just put together lots of pieces into these packages for fun. :D

About the show-desktop button, it is usually at the right corner of Lxpanel in my packages. Tint2 didn't have a show-desktop button until nilsonmorales managed to set one. The latest OpenboxPlus (and the former packages) has all Lxpanel plugins including the launch bar (so the PET linked to by mikeslr is not necessary for them), and thanks to the new xdg menu you can put any Puppy program into that bar (the previous xdg menu didn't include menu categories as implemented in Puppy, so not all apps would appear in the Lxpanel menu). OpenboxPlus is also multilingual, it can be translated to other languages (at present only Spanish is fully available).
Attachments
capture5372.jpg
(64.16 KiB) Downloaded 744 times
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

PaulR

#49 Post by PaulR »

Not sure if this is the correct place to post but....

I get these numbers which never change next to the time/date. I guess they relate to the cpu thread indicator which doesn't seem to be working. Any ideas? I dont' mind removing it from the panel but can't see how to do that in ~/.config/tint2rc

TIA

Paul
Attachments
grab.png
(20.85 KiB) Downloaded 645 times

PaulR

#50 Post by PaulR »

Doh! :oops: The numbers are the battery indicator values .... this machine has a dead battery!
I removed the 'B' from the line in /root/.config/tint2rc like so

Code: Select all

panel_items = LTSC
to make the numbers disappear!

Paul

DM was on fire!

#51 Post by DM was on fire! »

I found a .pet of this on a site, unfortunately I don't remember which. I used this on my previous install but couldn't find my pet...

Um. I have an issue where if I maximize a window, I still have about 30px of space it can go.
Here's a screenshot: boop
Anything I can do to eliminate it?

vicmz

#52 Post by vicmz »

DM was on fire! wrote:I found a .pet of this on a site, unfortunately I don't remember which. I used this on my previous install but couldn't find my pet...

Um. I have an issue where if I maximize a window, I still have about 30px of space it can go.
Here's a screenshot: boop
Anything I can do to eliminate it?
Menu > Desktop > Openbox window manager config > Margins

See also the newer version of Openbox+Extras, which is now called OpenboxPlus (OBP):

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=86206

Pelo

gtk_theme_collection-20130202.pet: 1648 K

#53 Post by Pelo »

gtk_theme_collection-20130202.pet: 1648 K
Cargado por tu ob-precise 2014, y para otras, de seguro.
Dropbox 403 error, orange theme wanted. Don't worry, there is yet a lot to try, to improve our flat tahrpup and slacko born 2016.
I decided to get back to Precise, No FFmpeg libraries make my life too difficult for a lot of Puppy applications, studied for us.

zagreb999

cursor wonderland size 48

#54 Post by zagreb999 »

regards

how can i use
cursor wonderland size 48 as
default?

thanks

Pelo

Did you try with pCursor ?

#55 Post by Pelo »

Did you try with pCursor ?