Touch - An Evolutionary Start by Ubuntu

News, happenings
jpeps

Re: Touch - An Evolutionary Start by Ubuntu

#41 Post by jpeps »

Monsie wrote: terms of allowing the professionals to do their work efficiently... -- without being frustrated for example by a virtual keyboard that require one to have fingers and thumbs the size of q-tips in order to use it effectively. :roll:

Monsie
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=88749

Much of the professional usage will be designed around a UI where you mostly click things, or fill in simple forms where the virtual keyboard is more than adequate. Watch an experienced user with a smartphone...it takes some practice, but so does using a conventional keyboard.

Monsie

#42 Post by Monsie »

jpeps wrote:
Monsie wrote: terms of allowing the professionals to do their work efficiently... -- without being frustrated for example by a virtual keyboard that require one to have fingers and thumbs the size of q-tips in order to use it effectively. :roll:

Monsie
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=88749

Much of the professional usage will be designed around a UI where you mostly click things, or fill in simple forms where the virtual keyboard is more than adequate. Watch an experienced user with a smartphone...it takes some practice, but so does using a conventional keyboard.
I agree, there are many people who are much more adept at using the keyboard on a smartphone than myself, but I am guessing there are a significant number of other users who also feel my pain :( And, I will add in another factor that slows me down: word prediction. I find it is often way off target and forces me to go back to make corrections or choose other terminology. While I think the technology is desirable, it still needs improvement. So in terms of health care delivery, I don't want to hear of complaints from professionals who feel frustrated by certain features or have usability issues with the hardware, because that could potentially affect the quality of health care that is provided...

Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

Q5sys

#43 Post by Q5sys »

gcmartin wrote:I am not that interested in the pro-con discussions about technology. "The use ...", is where the industry is headed and I/we DONT have controls. But, we can envision how to exploit technology for the things we need and use.
Well since you don't control what other people talk about, you can just ignore the comments about the pros-cons. Or you can stomp your feet, have a temper tantrum and ask that this thread be deleted. I'll leave that choice to you.

Anyone who chooses to ignore discussions about the Pro and Cons of a technology is blinding themselves to a great wealth of information. The discussion of Pros and Cons is what helps shape where technology goes; it helps technology overcome issues which it faces early in its adoption as well as shape the publics view and adoption of that technology. Discussion about the 'use' of a technology without discussing its actual applications and the result of those applications is meaningless.

jpeps

#44 Post by jpeps »

Monsie wrote: So in terms of health care delivery, I don't want to hear of complaints from professionals who feel frustrated by certain features or have usability issues with the hardware, because that could potentially affect the quality of health care that is provided...

Monsie
You mean like when the surgical procedure is automatically filled in after the surgeon enters the first two letters?

Monsie

#45 Post by Monsie »

jpeps wrote:
Monsie wrote: So in terms of health care delivery, I don't want to hear of complaints from professionals who feel frustrated by certain features or have usability issues with the hardware, because that could potentially affect the quality of health care that is provided...

Monsie
You mean like when the surgical procedure is automatically filled in after the surgeon enters the first two letters?
:lol:

Seriously, yes, conceivably this could pose a problem: e.g. it turns out the recommended bone graft was not performed on Mr. Smith because the chart said the patient had a bowell obstruction --so much for the accuracy of word prediction... :(

Let's consider typos... The letters R + T are next to each other on the QWERTY layout. If it is a challenge to use the keyboard on a smartphone, it's easy to make a mistake in a report, for instance: the recommendation is that the patient needs rest when the recommendation was supposed to read that the patient needs a test...

At first glance, this might seem like I am stretching the point, but hey, we are all human... and sometimes we feel tired and overworked, and, stuff happens... :shock:

So, this brings me back to my point about the usefulness of a device like the Ubuntu Edge which could be plugged in to extra monitors on the hospital floor. Such monitors would not only allow for a large on-screen keyboard, but obviously be useful for image enhancements, as well as other data input.

Monsie
Last edited by Monsie on Sun 15 Sep 2013, 06:35, edited 1 time in total.
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

jpeps

#46 Post by jpeps »

Monsie wrote:]because the chart said the patient had a bowell obstruction... :?
shit happens

gcmartin

#47 Post by gcmartin »

Q5sys. So you pissed about "the courtesy" and want to show your anger with even that. So you find a single sentence and twist it to tell us what your interpretation of it is.

Then you follow further to request, indirectly, "removal" of the thread that you have already disrupted and derailed.

Further when other members try to steer the thread back to the EDGE, YOU CONTINUE IN A DIRECTION NO ONE WANTS TO GO.

Q5sys, "Get a life". You MAY want to twist even that answer, too. You may want to even view my as "telling you what to do".

So, in an effort to move your disruptions somewhere, I will OPEN A Q5sys Thread. There you can find comfort to whatever you feel is appropriate in ANY responses to me you will have. I, in the future, will post ALL my comments about your behavior there. And, you can respond there. By doing so, the rest of the forum's users don't have to be bothered by the discussion you or I have about technology comments in the forum.

So here it is and I ask Q5sys to be considerate to move his constant contentions to that location and stop derailing every thread he "follows me to". Let us see if you have the intellect to understand this offer without it needing your twists....you know, your "constant twists where you read a thread, look for some sentence to object to then "disparage to derail"". Yes this is a consistent approach, used by you, over 2013; over and over and over.

I will open it in a visible section for all to see. And it will be there for anything you want to disgust without your need to disparage, disrupt, or derail. I will follow it and offer good comment, if I can.

Maybe this thread and other threads can move on, now, without your derailing tactics.

Here's your thread Q5Sys.

BTW, Monsie and Jpep are contributing with ideas and constructive discussion. I think its on the EDGE, and certainly in TOUCH. :wink:

jpeps

#48 Post by jpeps »

gcmartin wrote:
BTW, Monsie and Jpep are contributing with ideas and constructive discussion. I think its on the EDGE, and certainly in TOUCH. :wink:
Attachments
writepad.png
(20.21 KiB) Downloaded 493 times

gcmartin

#49 Post by gcmartin »

Just witnessed: casual note-taking at seminar. I think the convenience factor is at play.

gcmartin

#50 Post by gcmartin »

On the EDGE, has anyone seen or heard of a public requests by any the manufacturers of what features-functions should be in their upcoming/future releases?

I have seen many presentations over the years telling what they plan to do. But, I haven't seen "a request" of this sort in over 30 yrs.

Edit: Just got the answer "why not". Seems a distant past court case was settled where suggestion made which became products were due payments for the idea(s) from such a public request.

jpeps

#51 Post by jpeps »

gcmartin wrote:On the EDGE, has anyone seen or heard of a public requests by any the manufacturers of what features-functions should be in their upcoming/future releases?
In general, there's a movement to outsource almost everything, including innovation. There's been a decline in revenues for most tech companies compared with last year, and the squeeze to tighten profit margins (which includes layoffs).

jpeps

#52 Post by jpeps »

Touch devices are great in clinical setting with children and adolescents. For example, touch sensitive piano keyboards with a variety of sound modules, rhythm machines, etc., in addition to all the drawing apps, really tap into creative play. There are also an abundance of graduated math games, etc. that kids love. Most of these apps are free on android devices.

edit: pdf editors now allow you to sign forms with a stylus, so you don't have to print them out.

Q5sys

#53 Post by Q5sys »

gcmartin wrote:Q5sys, "Get a life". You MAY want to twist even that answer, too. You may want to even view my as "telling you what to do".

So, in an effort to move your disruptions somewhere, I will OPEN A Q5sys Thread. There you can find comfort to whatever you feel is appropriate in ANY responses to me you will have. I, in the future, will post ALL my comments about your behavior there. And, you can respond there. By doing so, the rest of the forum's users don't have to be bothered by the discussion you or I have about technology comments in the forum.

So here it is and I ask Q5sys to be considerate to move his constant contentions to that location and stop derailing every thread he "follows me to". Let us see if you have the intellect to understand this offer without it needing your twists....you know, your "constant twists where you read a thread, look for some sentence to object to then "disparage to derail"". Yes this is a consistent approach, used by you, over 2013; over and over and over.

I will open it in a visible section for all to see. And it will be there for anything you want to disgust without your need to disparage, disrupt, or derail. I will follow it and offer good comment, if I can.

Maybe this thread and other threads can move on, now, without your derailing tactics.

Here's your thread Q5Sys.

Everyone,
In spite of the claims that someone has made about me that I have tried to 'derail' this thread, please go back and review my posts. You will notice that they are all on topic with respect to the Edge device, as well as use of such a device in the enterprise settings. This is very much on topic, and not a derailment.

gcmartin,
You continually make claims but never provide proofs, facts, or any shred of evidence when asked. Instead you try to name and shame any person who disagrees with you or even tries to have a reasonable discussion with you. On many occasions you have asked the moderators to delete threads when the evidence is too heavy against you. I am aware of at least 5 threads this year that you have done this with.

In society, a person who continually makes personal attacks against others who disagree with them, and tries to shame other people publicly - those types of people are called Bullies.

In most Linux Communities, this type of behavior is not tolerated by anyone. I have no idea why this kind of behavior is tolerated in this forum.

This isn't just me saying this, you have openly admitted in another post of yours, that you lashed out against me not because of the content of my post, but simply because I made it.
Post here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 774#725774
Backup Image copy in case it's edited:http://i.imgur.com/l9gTN1V.png

I will continue to make comments on the technical merits of your posts. I will continue to disagree if I feel otherwise. Last time I checked John Murga ran this forum and not you. So until he asks me to stop discussing technical matters, I will continue.
In an Open Discussion Forum, you cannot control what think, and what they choose to post. The sooner you accept this fact, the better.

Mods,
Thank you to which ever mod deleted the thread gcmartin made.
Last edited by Q5sys on Sun 22 Sep 2013, 05:21, edited 2 times in total.

jpeps

#54 Post by jpeps »

Q5sys wrote:[

In society, a person who continually makes personal attacks against others who disagree with them, and tries to shame other people publicly - those types of people are called Bullies.
Interesting to see which one of you is smart enough to move the thread forward.

Q5sys

#55 Post by Q5sys »

jpeps wrote:
Q5sys wrote:[

Interesting to see which one of you is smart enough to move the thread forward.
I'm still interested in hearing more people's responses to my and Jamesbond's post which are on page 1 of this thread, speaking directly about the Edge and its place in the enterprise setting.
I'd like to talk the Pro/Cons of a device like the Edge in the hopes that perhaps we can figure out ways to address some of the Cons.

jpeps

#56 Post by jpeps »

Q5sys wrote:
I'm still interested in hearing more people's responses to my and Jamesbond's post which are on page 1 of this thread, speaking directly about the Edge and its place in the enterprise setting.
You're in luck, since Barry K seems interested along similar lines:
Another idea that I have been thinking about is to create a DEB package for Ubuntu, that "puppyfies" an Ubuntu installation. Because, that is what I do anyway, whenever I install Ubuntu. It would be nice to have one DEB to transform the user interface to a close-to-Puppy experience.
http://bkhome.org/blog2/?viewDetailed=00361

I'm far more interested in exploring new capabilities made possible by touchpad devices. I took a Nexus 7 to a seminar today, thinking I'd use the writepad and stylus. After about 2 seconds, I abandoned it for a mindmap app. The map easily exported to dropbox for storage. Links are created/edited by dragging nodes anywhere on the page.
Attachments
Dementia.jpeg
(46.96 KiB) Downloaded 410 times

Q5sys

#57 Post by Q5sys »

jpeps wrote:
Q5sys wrote:
You're in luck, since Barry K seems interested along similar lines:
Another idea that I have been thinking about is to create a DEB package for Ubuntu, that "puppyfies" an Ubuntu installation. Because, that is what I do anyway, whenever I install Ubuntu. It would be nice to have one DEB to transform the user interface to a close-to-Puppy experience.
http://bkhome.org/blog2/?viewDetailed=00361

I'm far more interested in exploring new capabilities made possible by touchpad devices. I took a Nexus 7 to a seminar today, thinking I'd use the writepad and stylus. After about 2 seconds, I abandoned it for a mindmap app. The map easily exported to dropbox for storage. Links are created/edited by dragging nodes anywhere on the page.
Dont know if a discussion on a DEB to puppyify ubuntu would fit in with this thread, but it's definitely something worth discussing. Since I dont derail threads, I'd be very interested in talking about that in another thread if someone makes one.

Touch interface itself will change how we interface with a computer, but it's still early to know exactly where its going. Just using touch as a mouse replacement, doesnt seem like the best option. I think its going to take people from the younger generation to fully be able to see and grasp its potential. Right now I feel the touch interfaces we have at our disposal, are limited in their functionality.
If you look at the mouse and how it was first used compared to now, it'd changed vastly. I expect the same for touch interface.

jpeps

#58 Post by jpeps »

Q5sys wrote:
Touch interface itself will change how we interface with a computer, but it's still early to know exactly where its going. Just using touch as a mouse replacement, doesnt seem like the best option. I think its going to take people from the younger generation to fully be able to see and grasp its potential. Right now I feel the touch interfaces we have at our disposal, are limited in their functionality
I posted several examples of software and usages that do just that above. You don't have to be from the younger generation to grasp its potential, but you do have to be willing to try out new approaches. Being small and mobile, a device is available in situations where a mouse and keyboard would be impracticable.

gcmartin

#59 Post by gcmartin »

... Dont know if a discussion on a DEB to puppyify ubuntu would fit in with this thread, but it's definitely something worth discussing. ... I'd be very interested in talking about that in another thread if someone makes one ...
Dont remember who made this remark, but, it would be nice should he take the lead rather than wait.

Hope this helps

gcmartin

#60 Post by gcmartin »

Barry has announced that he has taken a JUMP into the world of Touch device(s) and how it may provide a "personal assistance" (new-word) feature to his surroundings. This is mentioned by him in his blog.

On the Edge, if one takes a step back and look at Microsoft, you might be able to see an "Edge" to what they are doing.

I seeing more and more seminar topics coming forth talking about blurring the lines between the Home user and Corporate user of Touch devices. I not sure which technology approach is going to be the front runner, but, I can say that if there was an Edge available today, that some of us, like Barry, see its benefit.

In any event, the Edge made public an approach for Touch technology use.