Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
rerwin

PPM updates, new usb_modeswitch

#2341 Post by rerwin »

I updated the Puppy Package Manager in two of the lupu upgrade packages above, lupu-usr after download 14, lupuplus after download 4, to protect against damage to the permissions of the /tmp file and to prevent the spurious network_tray link I discovered when I installed the network_tray-2.7 package.

EDIT: I have added psync-2.9 to the "frisbee_kit". It is the package used in precise pup. It fixes the issue of the time switching to UTC/GMT instead of local time. I took the "safe route" rather than include the rewrite by 'moose on the loose' on the previous page. I will wait for it to be accepted officially.
EDIT (continued): If you have uninstalled the above "psync-2.0", you also need to remove the link file, /root/Startup/psync_start. Note, too, that "2.0" does not prevent the maddening switch to GMT/UTC, which is corrected in "2.9".

Here I am adding usb_modeswitch-1.2.6 and a corresponding configuration database update. Please try the package if you have a wireless modem. If there are no problems with it, I will add it to the above lupu(plus) packages, replacing version 1.2.4.

EDIT 9/13/2013:
Uploaded usb_modeswitch-1.2.7 and a corresponding configuration database update. Although only two new devices have been added, I have corrected an oversight in 1.2.6 that may have impacted the automated detection of modems during bootup, particularly the first time. Please use it instead of 1.26 if puppy is not detecting your modem automatically. The correction restores the logic that delays startup until mode switching completes. (I will remove 1.2.6 sometime soon.)
Richard
Attachments
usb-modeswitch-1.2.7-20130807-adapted-lupu528.pet
usb_modeswitch adapted for Lucid Pup only.
Do not use it in other puppies -- wait for the generic version to be posted in a precise Bugs thread.
(51.06 KiB) Downloaded 365 times
usb-modeswitch-1.2.6-20130610-adapted-lupu528.pet
usb_modeswitch adapted for Lucid Pup only.
Do not use it in other puppies -- wait for the generic version to be posted in the precise 5.6.1 Bugs thread.
(49.46 KiB) Downloaded 458 times
Last edited by rerwin on Fri 13 Sep 2013, 18:45, edited 2 times in total.

Smithy

#2342 Post by Smithy »

Quote from Big Pup:

"I agree, its Linux kernel version will never be able to handle the latest hardware very good, but a lot of us have old hardware that it works very well on. Hard to support hardware, that was not even built, when its kernel was made".

Would it be possible to just slip a new kernel in? :wink:

Personally, I don't see 26.33.7 as being old and useless, but maybe it doesn't run well on an i7 or whatever the latest processor is?

rerwin

#2343 Post by rerwin »

Smithy wrote:Would it be possible to just slip a new kernel in?
Well, not by me, as that is beyond my competence. Note, though, that 3-headed-dog uses kernel 2.6.37.6 and is otherwise equivalent to the original "lupu" 5.2.8. The problem I have with 3HD is that its kernel source code is not available at playdayz's link to it, making it impossible to compile drivers for it. If anyone has that source tarball for kernel 2.6.37.6, please tell me by PM so we can arrange for uploading to my mediafire account or sending it to me by email.
Richard

UPDATE 8/4/2013: jeff757 has sent me the kernel source for 3HD, so I should now be able to build drivers for 3HD. Actualy, he uploaded it to my mediafire repo. Thank you, Jeff!
Last edited by rerwin on Wed 07 Aug 2013, 15:46, edited 1 time in total.

futwerk

#2344 Post by futwerk »

a few backgrounds.
Attachments
lucidms25,2.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/7v1msw26s6chb/spuppy
(7.65 KiB) Downloaded 1446 times
lucidms25,1.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/7v1msw26s6chb/spuppy
(64.45 KiB) Downloaded 1424 times

Smithy

#2345 Post by Smithy »

Sorry Rerwin, that's the kernel number I meant, ye olde three headed dawg.

I think some people have been able to slip a new kernel in by changing the etc modules/ etc/distro specs and etc, something or other and then remaster.

I guess someone might have the dev file of it somewhere. Certainly worth keeping for a few tweaks!

I do remember your amazing work back in Puppy 4.1 getting modems to function, and then this work was carried forward.

Futwerk, second wallpaper is looking a bit Edvard Munch.

James C

#2346 Post by James C »

Smithy wrote: Would it be possible to just slip a new kernel in? :wink:
Been there.Done that. :lol:

Was using THD for my "experiments" (aka Lucid with k-2.6.37.6)...... the older build of Lucid didn't seem to mix well with kernels past 3.x.x.
There are some scripts in Lucid that are hard-coded to expect "2.6".

Three-Headed Dog-529 Linux 3.0.4
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 2923#56292

k-3.0.7
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 041#582041

The newer kernels halfway worked but weren't suitable for release.Maybe someone else can have better luck.

greengeek

#2347 Post by greengeek »

I am running LupuPlusLibre and find that after I minimise LibreOffice writer (and sometimes spontaneously...) the LibreOffice window disappears completely and there is no way I can get the display back, even if I try to open the document again by clicking on it's icon.

The only way I can get LibreOffice working again is to do a reboot, or else by looking for the soffice.bin process in htop and restarting it after doing a "killall soffice.bin" (sometimes there seem to be 5 or more soffice.bin processes active...).

When I restart it - it has to go through a document recovery so not really a safe way to get the display back. Has anyone else experienced this? I can't find any similar comments...

darkcity

#2348 Post by darkcity »

Which version of LibreOffice is it?

You could try using a different Window Manager?

Does it happen when you are doing a particular type of task, or is it completely random.

Are any errors reported if you run LibreOffice from the terminal?

greengeek

#2349 Post by greengeek »

darkcity wrote:Which version of LibreOffice is it?
version 3.5.2.2
I will try to use this a little more and confirm the triggers for it. So far it seems to be more or less random, but triggered by other actions I perform - ie: anything that alters the active window (minimising, or clicking on a different window)). Unfortunately this install is on a different site that I only visit every other wek or so, so I will report back with more info later...

bigpup

#2350 Post by bigpup »

rerwin

About updates for Lucid Puppy.
Updating the video driver packages that can be downloaded with Quickpet would be good.
I am trying Lucid on a very new computer. So far the only problem was getting a new enough Nvidia driver that supports the hardware. Quickpet did not offer one, but I did find one from here:http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72405
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

rerwin

#2351 Post by rerwin »

James C wrote:Was using THD for my "experiments" (aka Lucid with k-2.6.37.6)...... the older build of Lucid didn't seem to mix well with kernels past 3.x.x.
There are some scripts in Lucid that are hard-coded to expect "2.6".
James,
Could you find and list the names of the scripts that assume "2.6"? I will look into fixing them as part of my 5.2.8.6 remaster of lupu. Thanks.
UPDATE: Although this may be an incomplete list, I found and am fixing 3.x support in:
  • /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit
    /usr/sbin/bootmanager
    /usr/sbin/pmodemdiag
    /usr/sbin/updatenetmoduleslist
bigpup wrote:Updating the video driver packages that can be downloaded with Quickpet would be good.
It appears that Quickpet gets the names of the available drivers from Packages-puppy-lucid-official. So a request for specific drivers should probably go to Barry.
Richard
Last edited by rerwin on Sat 14 Sep 2013, 22:27, edited 1 time in total.

Puppyt

#2352 Post by Puppyt »

Hi rerwin,
looking forward to seeing the Lupu update, in due course. In the meantime, and indirectly related to greengeek's earlier comment with LibreOffice issues - might you consider compiling an SFS for LibreOffice 4.X please? I have encountered problems when collaborating with M$ colleagues trying to open docx's created with LibreOffice 3.5.X - M$ gives a BS error report "This document is corrupted and cannot be opened". A known issue that has been solved in LibreOffice 4.X, I understand.
Cheers!
Search engines for Puppy
[url]http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html[/url]; [url=https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643981050743583%3Aabvzbibgzxo&q=#gsc.tab=0]Google Custom Search[/url]; [url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url] others TBA...

bigpup

#2353 Post by bigpup »

rerwin,

Something to consider in your efforts to support Lucid 528.
Lucid 528.005 has been running fine on this old Dell p4 computer.

I had to get a new wifi USB adapter. (Netgear n150)
This adapter would not work, no matter what I tried.
Looking for a fix, I found a reference to:
you probably need a newer kernel and a driver that will recognize that new a hardware.
So I tried:
Three-Headed Dog 5.2.8.005 Updated ISO APR 25, 2012 - Luci-001.005
Three-Headed Dog is based on Lucid 5.2.8 but with the 2.6.37.6 kernel from Slacko 5.3.1. Some newer computers might work better with 3HD than with Lucid 5.2.8.005.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70736
It worked on first boot. No problem getting The Netgear adapter working.

So for me the problem was supporting new hardware on an old computer.
YaPI(any iso installer)

Volhout

new wifi

#2354 Post by Volhout »

@bigpup

I ran into the same problem with a different wifi adapter, and in my case I used 528-004's possibility to use the windows (XP 32 bit) driver. It works as a charm, in fact it works so good (stable, reconnects, no dropouts, fast) that after I confirmed (on rerwins request) that lupuplus528-005 supported the adapter in linux, I kept it as is. Never change a winning team... 528 lives forever.

Maybe you could use the aproach with the netgear adapter.

Volhout

bigpup

#2355 Post by bigpup »

Volhout,

Thanks for the idea to try LupuPlus.

I tried it, but the same problem I had with Lucid 528.005.
It seems for my hardware a slightly newer Linux kernel (Three-Headed Dog 5.2.8.005) was the fix.

LupuPlus, with the Kernel from Three-Headed Dog 5.2.8.005, would probably be a very good update for Lucid. (Some newer updated drivers and newer Linux kernel).

Not sure if it would be as simple as that. Just swap kernels.

528 lives forever.
YaPI(any iso installer)

rerwin

lupu and lupuplus 5.2.8.6 betas uploaded to mediafile.com!

#2356 Post by rerwin »

I have completed my first cut at 5.2.8.6 and uploaded lupu and lupuplus for testing. Rather than use only "stable" packages, I collected many of the latest versions of puppy programs, primarily from shinobar, zigbert, don570 and default backgrounds by futwerk. Although there is some risk in that approach, I find no problems yet. All of the lupus now have the same level of infrastructure updates. The only difference between lupu and lupuplus are the additional networking drivers in lupuplus.

The new ISO files are here:
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/dc28t2r ... es-5.2.8.6

The newest ISO files are here:
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/y3rkzh ... es-5.2.8.7

Please report any issues you discover and make recommendations of other updated versions of programs already in lupu.

My goal is to eventually provide disk images (ISOs) for all of the variants of 528, including 3HD and a lupuplus with a zdrv file that reduces the lupu_528 SFS file to fit into 256M of RAM. I would also like to make a version of that for the AMD K6 processors, if that is possible.

For now, though, let's round up new versions of programs, to bring 5.2.8.6 as "up to date" as we can. Thanks for any help with this.

Here are the updated programs/packages I have included, so far:
  • dgcmodem-1.13
    dhcpcd-5.6.4-patched_dropwait-i486
    epdfview_lupu-0.1.8
    ffconvert-1.3.3
    ffmpeg-0.8.11-lupu528u005
    ffplay-0.8.11-lupu528u005
    frisbee-1.1-20130415-modified
    getflash-1.2 (replaced by 1.3 10/12/2013)
    get_libreoffice-0.29
    gtkdialog-racy_lucid-0.8.4r514
    lupu_5.2.8.6-delta-20130916
    lupu_5.2.8.6-delta-backgrounds-20130916
    lupu_5.2.8.6-delta-slmodemd-20130916
    lupu-5.2.8.6-not_usr-20130720
    lupu-5.2.8.6-usr-20130726
    mhwaveedit-lupu-1.4.23
    network_tray-2.7-20130419
    office_defaults-1
    pbackup-3.1.9-1
    pburn-3.7.18 (replaced by 5.1.1 10/12/2013)
    pdiag-20130207
    pfilesearch-1.34
    pfind-5.11
    pmirror-0.6.2-1
    pmusic-4.1.1
    pprocess-2.3.2
    pschedule-1.1.3
    psync-2.9
    ptiming-1.0.2
    sfs_load-1.9.9
    sylpheed-3.1.4
    ubuntu-lucid-repositories-20120426
    usb-modeswitch-1.2.7-20130807-adapted-lupu528
UPDATE 9/17/2013:
Having discovered that the intended version of ffmpeg was not in the ISO files, I restored it by removing the "Pmusic_Upgrade-Lucid528-005" package because it is already part of Lucid528-005 and used an older version of ffmpeg. The uploaded ISO files are labeled "20130917". Please use the new files if you are testing with multimedia.

UPDATE 9/21/2013:
I have uploaded new versions of the ISO files and changed the package list:
- Removed pburn_NLS because it is not for operations.
- Added the following packages:
  • dgcmodem-1.13
    get_libreoffice-0.29
    office_defaults-1
    pbackup-3.1.9-1
    pmirror-0.6.2-1
    pprocess-2.3.2
    pschedule-1.1.3
    ptiming-1.0.2
    sfs_load-1.9.9
- Added an SFS file of libreoffice-4.1.1, the latest!

UPDATE 9/30/2013:
I have uploaded a new set of disk image ISO files, all labeled as version 20130930. All of those images function identically, the main differences being the characteristics of the intended target machines. I have changed the meaning of some of the names:
  • - lupu-5.2.8.6 -- Lucid Pup in single 155MB SFS file, appropriate for 512MB+ RAM
    - lupulibre-5.2.8.6 -- Lucid Pup and LibreOffice in single 392MB SFS file, appropriate for 1GB+ RAM
    - lupumini-5.2.8.6 -- Lucid Pup with Z-drive and 121MB main SFS file, appropriate for 256MB+ RAM and minimal 160MB download size
    - lupuplus-5.2.8.6 -- Lucid Pup with Z-drive, 121MB main SFS file, separate (manually installable) LibreOffice and Java/jre SFS files, appropriate for 256MB+ RAM
The original "lupu" variant is discontinued because it is updated to match the old "plus" variant. The only item not retained from it is "goffice", although abiword and gnumeric remain.

Added to the "delta" package (most recommended by radky):
  • - default home page blog correction
    - load-touchpad-settings - removed invalid tests, so always runs flsynclient
    - ipinfo - made scrollable, from slacko
    - duplicate mhwaveedit menu entry removed
    - report-video from Precise Pup
    - video-info-glx from tazoc
    - file lists for LibreOffice and Java SFS files, to make them "remasterable"
Added packages:
  • - e1000, e1000e, igb - updated gigabit ethernet drivers from technosaurus
    - PupApps, PupClockset, PupControl, PupMenu, PupSnap updates from radky
    - Java/jre SFS file from shinobar
UPDATE 10/4/2013:
Uploaded lupu disk image ISO files 20131004:

Added to "delta" package, recommended by radky:
  • - Drive icon close X-boxes, the standardized "mounted" icons - copied from precise 5.6.1: drive_all, icon_switcher, icon_switcher_cli (modified): created Startup/make_mounted_icons, for first boot of existing installations with new lupu.
    - remasterpup2 -reduced width of wide dialog windows
    - removed duplicate mhwaveedit menu entry
    - removed report-video-glx and its menu entry, replaced by link to video-info-glx
    - removed obsolete version of psip, replaced by psip32 long ago
Added packages
  • - momanager-20131002 from shinobar
    - Minor updates to packages PupApps and PupControl from radky
    - grub4dos-0.4.4.v1.9 recommended by bigpup
UPDATE 10/12/2013:
Uploaded lupu disk image ISO files 20131012:

Added to "delta" package:
  • - xwin: corrects detection of vesa xorg driver; reloads console fonts on exit (L18L)
    - xorgwizard.sh: reloads console fonts on exit (L18L)
    - load_consolefonts: copied from precise pup 5.6.1
    - report-video: copied from precise 5.6.1
    - pup_event_frontend-d, et al: drive detection rewrite: copied from precise 5.7.1
Added packages
  • - ptag-0.9.3_with_help_button (per radky) to replace obsolete pmetatagger
    - pnethood-0.7.1 from shinobar
    - cdrtools-3.01a17-lucid from OscarTalks
    - pburn-4.1.2 from zigbert, enabled by OscarTalks, replacing older package
    - getflash-1.3 from shinobar, replacing older package
UPDATE 10/14/2013:
Uploaded new variant, lupusuper, which is playdayz' "sulu_001" based on kernel 3.0.25 and with the 5.2.8.6 upgrade applied.

UPDATE 10/28/2013:
Uploaded lupu disk image ISO files 20131028 (lupu, lupumini & lupuplus, for now).

• - New package conflict detector - check_installed_packages, remaster_package_check
    - Obsolete package names removed from "woof-installed-packages list
    - Packages-puppy-lucid-official: added nvidia proprietary drivers for k2.6.37 (lupu3hd); removed Songbird entries (recommended by mikeslr)
    - /usr/local/bin/gtkmoz: removed cause of spurious error message - logic unchanged
    - /usr/local/simple_network_setup/sns: copied from precise pup, to add wireless network list scrolling & internationalization (reported by Smithy)
    - /usr/local/petget/check_deps.sh & downloadpkgs.sh: added scroll bar for dependency lists (reported by RickGT351)
    - /root/.xinitrc: added check for icewm-session (from musher0)
    - /usr/sbin/filemnt: copied from precise pup, to possibly resolve USB HDD mount issue (reported by Sylvander)
    - /root/.quickpet/prefs.conf: lucid repository default preference reverted to ibiblio due to problem with nllug downloads
    - dir2sfs, dir2sfs-make_file_list: generates ".files" file for root and etc directories, to include them during remastering (candidate for woof)
    - add java OpenWith directory and include link to XArchive.
    - /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/MIME-types/application_x-java-archive: changed to run java if present, else xarchive.
    - Gems from shinobar:
    -- /etc/profile: correct listing order
    -- /etc/profile.d/a4paper: paper size default outside of North America
    -- /root/.Xdefaults: correct typo
    -- /root/.config/roxterm.sourceforge.net/Profiles/Default: make roxterm read /etc/profile
    -- /root/.config/openbox/rc.xml, /root/.jwmrc and /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc: enable the Print Screen key
    - remasterpup2: added option to make isolinux.cfg use 'pmedia=ataflash' (requested by sylvander), integrated with other special "boot disk" logic and invoked by command line arguments

Packages:
    ffconvert-1.4
    jre-1.7.0.45.sfs (java runtime)
UPDATE 11/14/2013:
Uploaded lupu disk image ISO files 20131114 (lupu, lupumini, lupuplus & lupulibre).

• ipinfo
Packages:
  • get_libreoffice-0.29.1
    lupu_5.2.8.6-delta-20131110
    pburn-4.2.0
    pfbpanel-0.4
    pmusic-4.2.0
    woof_updates-20131103-dir2sfs
    LibreOffice-4.1.3_en-US_gz.sfs
UPDATE 11/20/2013:
Uploaded lupu disk image ISO files 20131120 (lupu, lupumini, lupuplus & lupulibre).

• - grub4dos: reduced 3 menu entries to 1
    - browser-default: removed, replaced by defaults-chooser
Packages:
  • defaults-chooser-0.8.8
    jwm-876-i486
    jwmconfig2-130504-5
    openbox-3.5.0
    pburn-4.3.1
    pfbpanel-0.4 (updated)
    pmusic-4.2.0-1
UPDATE 11/24/2013:
Uploaded lupu disk image ISO files 20131124 for lupu3hd and lupusuper-k3.0.25.

• - /usr/sbin/usb-devices: copied from precise pup (recommended by radky)
    - /usr/share/doc/home.htm: changed Barry's blog link to new "News" blog
UPDATE 12/15/2013:
Uploaded lupu disk image ISO files 20131215 for lupu, lupu3hd, lupumini and lupuplus. The main upgrades are in support of the substitution of later kernels.

• remasterpup2 (also 12/21/2013) added special handling of DISTRO_SPEC file and /etc/modules directory to support "kernel switching"
The added packages are:
  • hardinfo-0.5.2pre-20130116git-patched_i18n_pupver
    lm_sensors-3.1.2
    pburn-4.3.3
    pdiag-20131211
    PupClockset-Lucid-2.2.1 (updated)
    PupControl-Lucid-2.4.1 (updated)
    usb-modeswitch-1.2.7-20131113-adapted-lupu528
    zz_lupu_5.2.8.6-delta-20131214
    pfbpanel-0.4 (updated)
Other changes (from radky) are:
  • New logo CD boot-up screen
    New default desktop background/wallpaper (if not overridden by user selection)
UPDATE 12/21/2013:
Uploaded lupu disk image ISO files 20131221 for all lupu versions, including 4 "super lupus" that use various 3.x kernels obtained from other puppy projects, to extend the scope of supported hardware and support xz compression.

Other changes (from radky) are:
  • Newer optional desktop backgrounds/wallpaper
UPDATE 1/6/2014
Uploaded lupu disk image ISO files 20140106 for lupu, lupumini, lupuplus, lupulibre and lupusuper2 (same kernel as precise 5.7.1). The main upgrades are to gnome-mplayer and addition of digital-image tools.

• MODULESCONFIG - added preferences
    pupcamera (from wary 5.5)
    quickpet, graphics-test - updated & expanded nvidia driver determination (graphics card test)
    remasterpup2 - copy pfbpanel configuration files
    resizepfle.sh - added 32MB size option
The added packages are:
  • getnvidia-1.0 (shinobar - builds nvidia driver packages)
    gmtk-1.0.7-i686
    gnome-mplayer-1.0.7-i686 (chrome307)
    gnome-mplayer_DOC-1.0.7-i686
    gnome-mplayer_NLS-1.0.7-i686
    gphoto2-2.4.11-w5c
    gphoto2_NLS-2.4.11-w5c
    gphotofs-1.0
    peasyprint-2.3 (rcrsn51)
    pfbpanel-0.5 (adds battery monitor plugin, by radky)
    zz_lupu_5.2.8.6-delta-20140106
In addition, nvidia proprietary graphics drivers have been uploaded and are included in lupusuper disk images.

UPDATE 1/9-14/2014
Uploaded disk image ISO files 20140109 for lupu3hd and all lupusupers, to correct the DOTconfig and firmware.dep files and add shinobar's updates.

The added packages are:
  • defaults-chooser-0.8.9-1
    ffconvert-1.4-1
    grub4dos-0.4.4.v1.9.1
UPDATES 3/10/2014 and 3/21/2014:
Uploaded a preview version of the next lupu-5.2.8.6 as a "20140309-beta", because of changes needing some testing before I commit to the entire set of lupu/sulus. Then uploaded the 20140321 set with the addition of updated HP printer support and other updates (marked as "added in 2014).
Additions to architecture "delta" package:
  • - /etc/init.d: x_hal - prevent spurious message during bootup.
    - /etc/ppp/options - remove 'usepeerdns' to avoid conflict with specific DNS settings (handled by the using functions as appropriate).
    - /usr/lib/libfontconfig-1.4.4 - hpliplite dependency, copied from precise pup (added in 20140321)
    - /usr/lib/libjpeg.so.8 - hpliplite dependency, copied from precise pup (added in 20140321)
    - /usr/local/simple_network_setup/sns - unblock wireless interface before connecting (peebee).
    - /usr/sbin/pupdial - correct setting and clearing of dialup icon indicator.
    - /usr/share/applications/pfind.desktop, ...pschedule.desktop - Retain icons for new versions of tools using icons not in lupu.
    - Miscellaneous fixes by npierce:
    • - Restore PrintScrn & SysRq key functions:
      • - /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/pc/gr - Returned "basic" to top because "bare" was being loaded by default; added support for dead_psili and dead_dasia to polytonic variant.
        - /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/pc/jp - 130827 Remove second definition for 'print' key.
        - /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/pc/pc - 130827 Remove second definitions for 'print' & 'break' keys.
      - Provide list of valid installed shells for getusershell() function:
      • - /etc/shells - added
      - Hard-to-read yellow in white terminal:
      • - /etc/profile - 130224 fix hard-to-read yellow in white terminal.
      - Prevent use of invalid CD for remastering:
      • - remasterpup2 - 130308 filter out wrong CDs from choices offered to user.
      - ROX-Filer problem after accessing WM menus (ungrab bug):
      • - ROX-Filer
      - /etc/services missing entries for ntp:
      • - /etc/services: updated file added.
      - To decode base64 e-mail attachments encoded by mimencode, only mimencode can detect the type of encoding in the file.
      • - /usr/bin/mimencode: file copied from slacko puppy.
      - When running pppoe-setup and specifying neither specific nameservers or "server", nameservers are not prevented from being obtained from the ISP server, because 'usepeerdns' is always used and cannot be overridden.
      • - /etc/ppp/options: 'usepeerdns' commented out, because wvdial, gpgrs and pppoe already specify "usepeerdns' in other ways when appropriate.
      - Avoid resolv.conf symlink loop by restoring lost fix.
      • - /usr/sbin/pppoe-connect - comment out creation of symlink to /etc/ppp/resolv.conf.
Added packages:
  • - Extract-pet-1.7 (resulting from research by npierce)
    - ffconvert-1.4-1 (shinobar)
    - frisbee-1.2-20140209 - "beta" removed from pet name (added in 20140321)
    - getflash-1.5-1 - (shinobar) (added in 20140321)
    - gpptp-0.2
    - grub4dos-0.4.4.v1.9.1
    - hpliplite-3.14.3 - Newest version of CUPS HP printer database (lluamco) (added in 20140321)
    - hpliplite_plugin_install-1.2 - Newest version of CUPS HP printer plugin installer (lluamco) (added in 20140321)
    - libaspell15-0.60.6-10 (needed for libreoffice)
    - pdiag-20140123
    - pgprs-1.5-20140209 - "beta" removed from pet name (added in 20140321)
    - pMusic-4.2.8 (zigbert, via bigpup)
    - psync-2.10 (new, by npierce)
    - powerapplet_tray-2.6-wary5 (fix problem reported by sheldonisaac)
    - sfs_load-2.0-2 - (shinobar) (added in 20140321)
    - XKBconfigmanager-1.2.1 (new, by npierce)
    • - XkbApplyNow - 120202 $COMMAND clears options before adding options.
      - XkbLayoutConfig - 120201 Removing a layout also adjusts the variant list.
      - XkbVariantConfig - 120201-03 Corrected calculation of $POS; Pad $OLD to give it same number of fields as $LAYOUTS; Corrected window title.
    - zz_lupu_5.2.8.6-delta-20140318
UPDATE 11/24/2014 & 12/3/2014:
Uploaded a preview version of the next lupu-5.2.8.6, now designated as 5.2.8.7, as "20141124-beta", because of the many updated packages -- particularly for networking -- and because it's been 8 months since the last version. Then uploaded final version as 5.2.8.7-20141203. Additions to architecture "delta" package:
  • - /usr/bin/gtkdialog-splash - update with version from precise-5.7.1 to correct colors.
    - /usr/bin/Multiple-Sound-Card-Wizard - updates with slacko version with retrovol correction and internationalization; Open with first sound card selected, instead of none (geoffrey).
    - /usr/sbin/ipinfo - updated to precise version; added option contact external site, disabled by default. (Scooby)
    - /etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG - updated preferences for wl.
    - /sbin/pup_event_backend_modprobe - Use modprobe -b/--use_blacklist to ensure correct module loading that respects blacklisting (in 3.x kernels). Note that preference processing in 3.x kernel isos may not be effective due to internal changes to module loading method.
    - /usr/local/bin/meeboview - Remove meeboview -- meebo.com defunct (reported by sindi).
    - /usr/local/bin/fmradioshell - Remove fmradioshell -- no fmradio for it (reported by sindi).
    - /usr/bin/pfbpanel-cputemp - improve checking of temperature sensors (Radky)
    - /usr/sbin/pupdial - kill other networks unless re-running pupdial script.
    - /usr/bin/xclip - add version 0.12 to support international (UTF-8) characters in copying from terminal with ctrl-shift-c for pasting with ctrl-v. (MochiMoppel) (added 12/3/2014)
    - /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal - add keymask for ctrl-shift-c, to match support by openbox. (MochiMoppel) (added 12/3/2014)
    - /usr/local/petget/installpreview.sh - Add a "Download-only" button to download a package without installing it. (MochiMoppel) (added 12/3/2014)
Added packages:
  • - 8188eu-4.1.4-k2.6.33.2-lucid-i686 (rerwin: patched to register as 8188eu, not r8188eu) (added 12/3/2014, replacing beta's 8188eu-rev382-k2.6.33.2)
    - 8188eu-4.1.4-k3.2.48-lucid-i686 (rerwin: patched to register as 8188eu, not r8188eu) (added 12/3/2014 for lupusuper2)
    - ath3k-firmware
    - bash-4.3.30-1-i486-dpup487.pet
    - defaults-chooser-0.9.pet
    - dhcpcd-6.4.3-patched-dropwait-lucid-i686 (rerwin - 3-second wait)
    - dm9601-updated-k2.6.33.2
    - efax-gtk-328 (Master_wrong)
    - efax-gtk-setup-0.1 (new by rerwin)
    - ffconvert-1.4.2.pet
    - firewallstate-2.5.1-i686
    - frisbee-1.3.1-20141019 (rerwin - dropwait adjustment removed; always max 3 seconds)
    - Gpptp-v2.0 (jafadmin)
    - legacy_grub_2013-1.6 (recommended by rcrsn51, checked by sheldonisaac)
    - mtpaint-3.44.89
    - net_setup-20140422
    - pburn-4.3.11
    - pfilesearch-1.35
    - pfind-5.14
    - pmusic-4.4.6
    - pschedule-1.1.5
    - ptiming-1.0.3-1
    - pup-advert-blocker-0.5b
    - PupApps-2.2-Lucid_5287 (Radky)
    - PupClockset-2.3.1-Lucid_5287 (Radky)
    - PupControl-2.6-Lucid_5287 (Radky)
    - Pup-Kview-1.3.2-Lucid_5287 (Radky)
    - PupMenu-4.0-Lucid_5287 (Radky)
    - PupSnap-2.4.1_Scrot-0.8_32Bit-Lucid_5287 (Radky)
    - Pup-SysInfo-2.5.3-Lucid_5287 (Radky)
    - sfs_load-2.3
    - zz_lupu_5.2.8.6-delta-20141202
UPDATE 4/24/2015:
Uploaded disk image ISO files of 20150423-beta for lupumini and lupusuper2 for user/tester verification that there is no regression and that the updated features work as expected. The main upgrades are to the shutdown process and the petget package manager, as well as fixes to annoying frisbee-1.3 bugs.

• -- petget rewrite contents with migrated download-only option and move of fixmenus from installpkg.sh to pkgchooser.
    -- shutdown GUI (/etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown; /root/Startup/freememapplet_tray; /usr/bin/wmpoweroff, - wmreboot; /usr/sbin/calcfreespace.sh, -resizepfile.sh, -shutdownconfig, -snapmergepuppy; /usr/local/lib/X11/mini-icons/mini-exit.xpm, -mini-trash.xpm; /usr/local/petget/installpreview.sh; /usr/local/pup_event/frontend_funcs; /usr/local/quickpet/quickpet.sh; /usr/share/doc/legal (GPLs)) - save2dir-6-lucid package contents with fixes, for save-to-folder option.
    -- /sbin/pup_event_backend_modprobe: Corrects handling of rule-initiated module versus alias
    -- /bin/pupkill: dependency of merged save2dir package
    -- /etc/modprobe.d/i915.conf, -nouveau.conf, - radeon.conf: sets default of modeset=0 and ensures fbcon loaded before respective open source video drivers (to avoid bootup issue).
    -- /usr/lib/libssl.so.1.0.0: link to /lib/libssl.so.1.0.0, to support potential openssl upgrade
Added packages:
  • 8192cu-k2.6.33.2.pet
    8192cu-k3.2.48.pet
    axe027-noarch-20150317.pet
    dpkg-deb_1.16.15_i386.pet - To handle xz-compressed .deb packages (cimarron)
    frisbee-1.3.4-20150410.pet
    getflash-1.5-4.pet - uses new adobe URL to restore function
    jwm-895-binary.pet
    liblzma5 - dependency of new dpkg-deb package (cimarron)
    ListDD-1.1.pet
    network_tray-2.7.4-i486.pet
    pburn-4.3.13.pet
    pfilesearch-2.1.pet
    pfind-6.2.pet
    pgprs-1.5.1-20150214.pet
    pmusic-4.6.0-1.pet
    searchmonkey-0.8.1-notabs.pet
    sfs_load-2.3.2.pet
    wget_1.12-1.1ubuntu2.2_i386.pet (from .deb)
    zz_lupu_5.2.8.7-delta-20150423.pet
UPDATE 5/22/2015:
After uploading a second beta, 20150517, uploaded disk image ISO files of 20150520 for all of the "lupus" (kernel 2.6.33.2) and lupusuper2 as the prospective "final" version for 2015. The main upgrade since 20150423 is to the configuration of the open source graphics drivers -- the unblacklisting of nouveau and upgrades of Xorg drivers nv and radeon to the last versions for lucid lynx.

• - /usr/local/apps/Connect/AppRun: Corrected to support frisbee so that the network_tray menu entry "enable/disable (wireless) networking" works with frisbee.
    - /etc/modprobe.d/i915.conf, nouveau.conf, radeon.conf: Updated or added for those open source drivers to ensure fbcon also loaded but set/leave default KMS modeset setting (0 for nouveau, hardware default for i915 & radeon).
    - /etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG: Removed "nouveau" from default blacklist.
    - /etc/udev/rules.d/00-i915_modeset.rules: Removed i915 rule, to rely on permanent i915.conf using hardware default, expecting separate files for setting modeset=0.
    - /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-multimedia.menu: Added category to match change for pburn (X-Multimedia-optical).
    - /bin/tar: Replaced with version from Precise Pup, to support new "--warning" parameter used for a new "deb" archive.
    - /usr/share/misc/pci.ids: Replaced with current version.
Added packages:
  • orinoco_usb_k2.6.33.2_adapted-20150513
    modeset0-lucid-20150513
    modeset0_rules-k2.6.33.2-lupu-20150517
    modeset0_rules-k3.2.48-sulu2-20150517
    pburn-4.3.14
    pmusic-4.6.2
    xf86-video-nv-2.1.20-i686
    xserver-xorg-video-radeon-6.13.1-1ubuntu1~xup3~lucid_i386
    zz_lupu_5.2.8.7-delta-20150520
UPDATE 6/13/2015:
Began uploading new set of ISO files that (1) correct interaction between frisbee and network_tray, (2) update dillo to support ssl (https://), (3) update geany text editor and make miscellaneous corrections.

Updates to infrastructure "delta" package:
  • - /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit: when frisbee is active, defer startup to frisbee.sh init script; ignore frisbee as default if not active.
    - /etc/xdg/menus/*.menu: add "X-" entries to menu layout, for 'petget rewrite'.
    - /usr/local/petget/installpkg: fix test for non-root user to include lucid (always root).
    - /usr/sbin/shutdownconfig: skip fido offer in lucid pup.
    - /usr/local/apps/Connect/AppRun: add frisbee support, using new frisbee interface.
    - /usr/sbin/dhcpcd_dropwait_option: removed as obsolete (with new dhcpcd-dropwait).
    - /usr/local/simple_network_setup/rc.network: revert frisbee mode detection (now done by rc.sysinit) and obsolete dropwait mod.
    - /usr/sbin/connectwizard, connectwizard_2nd: update frisbee connect/disconnect interface.
    - /usr/sbin/wag-profiles.sh: revert obsolete dropwait mod.
Added packages:
  • - ca-certificates-20130906: by OscarTalks
    - dillo-3.0.4.1-i486-lucid: by OscarTalks to add ssl support - wary5 version with libssl.so.0 links; remove old configuration info; update menu,
    - frisbee_1.3.4_interface_supplement-20150607: adds integrated frisbee command line interface (test_active, activate, deactivate, connect, disconnect)
    - geany-1.23-lucid-i686: adapted from posting by s243a - text yellow changed to brown, Classic colorscheme added.
    geany_plugins_1.23-i686: from posting by toowoombalinux
    - libpng14-14-slackware: new geany (or dillo?) dependency
    - modeset0-lucid-20150611: corrected for absence of open source graphics drivers
    - mtpaint-3.44.93: from posting by
    - network_tray-2.7.5-i486: corrects display of wireless menu item
    - pburn-4.3.15: from zigbert
    - uvesafb-k2.6.33.2, xorg-fbdev-Puppy5: from tempestuous
UPDATE 7/3/2015:
Uploaded new set of ISO files that (1) fixes getflash, (2) creates a correct SFS file for LibreOffice 4.4.x and (3) fixes office default scripts so defaultchooser can use them.

Infrastucture updates:
  • - /usr/local/bin/defaultdraw: restored to inkscapelite
    - /usr/local/bin/defaultspreadsheet: restored to gnumeric
    - /usr/local/bin/defaultwordprocessor: restored to abiword
Added/updated packages:
  • - getflash-1.5-6
    - get_libreoffice-0.30.1
    - sfs_filelist-20150702
Richard
Last edited by rerwin on Sat 04 Jul 2015, 01:57, edited 29 times in total.

sheldonisaac

Re: lupu and lupuplus 5.2.8.6 betas uploaded to mediafile.com!

#2357 Post by sheldonisaac »

Most was snipped..
rerwin wrote: .. and make recommendations of other updated versions of programs already in lupu.
Thanks a lot.

I tried Sylpheed 3.3.0 some months ago in 5.2.8-005 (I now see that it's in Slacko?), but had some problem, don't recall what.
Have been using Sylpheed 3.2.0, seems fine.

bigpup

#2358 Post by bigpup »

Using the LupuPlus 5.2.8.6
So far seems to all work.
Still testing.

Thanks for your support rerwin!!!

On your download site I am seeing two LupuPlus downloads?

One possible issue.
Gparted could really use an update. It is up to version 0.16.1
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gparted/files/gparted
Last edited by bigpup on Tue 17 Sep 2013, 21:47, edited 1 time in total.
YaPI(any iso installer)

peebee

#2359 Post by peebee »

Hi Richard

I don't know if you think that the Broadcom wl driver would be a useful addition to 5.2.8.6, but if you want to include it the pet is at:

http://peebee.5gbfree.com/share/broadco ... -lucid.pet

I've tested it and it seems to work fine.

I also note that there is a very old (1.3) version of sfs-load-on-the-fly in 5.2.8.6 whereas the latest version in slacko is 1.9.9 - maybe this should be updated?

Using lupu again after all this time reminded me that it didn't handle laptop touchpads very well - just wondering if there is an update that could be applied to make them work OOTB.

Cheers
Peter
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

rerwin

#2360 Post by rerwin »

peebee,
Thanks for your suggestions. The wl driver is already in the lupuplus image, from lupuplus-528-005-1, part of the extended set of wireless drivers. It was never added to the original lupu-528.005.

I have just now downloaded shinobar's sfs_load-1.9.9 and will add it to the next version of the images, from http://shino.pos.to/linux/puppy/, in case you want to download & test it right away (as I have no experience with it).

Fixing the touchpad support seems like a worthy task. But I am going to need assistance in tracking down the piece to update. What do you and anyone else reading this know about the touchpad support? As I recall, my netbook touchpad worked well with lupuplus, after I adjusted some settings. What sort of problem did you have with lupu and touchpads?
Richard