Puppy Slacko 5.5 XL

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
koulaxizis

#41 Post by koulaxizis »

eztuxer wrote:It is all working fine now.
Changed the soundcard in Skype from "default" to "HDA intel ACL268"
It somehow fixed it in MHWave too. :roll:
Internal and external mics OK.
Thanks for reporting this!! Glad that everything works fine! :)
[b]Christos Koulaxizis[/b]
[i]Woof woof from Greece![/i]

[color=darkred][url=https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppystuff/][ Puppy Stuff Repository ][/url][/color]

vflower

Puppy Slacko 5.5 XL

#42 Post by vflower »

I am neither a developer nor an expert in linux, but just an occasional end user. I was wondering who has ever made a puppy derivative (may I call it Tinhat puppy, that is it contain all the application that one can think of : office, multimedia, internet, Samba, international language support etc etc and can totally run in ram. Of course it should contain my favourite browser Google Chrome). If there were such a puppy derivative, then Micro$oft people may be unable to sleep every night.

koulaxizis

#43 Post by koulaxizis »

I have started organizing for the next "fat" Puppy and i need your opinion! Which applications would you like to see in the iso?

Please answer here!!

[color=darkred][url=https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppystuff/][ Puppy Stuff Repository ][/url][/color]

umair

#44 Post by umair »

hi koulaxizis:
Nice work. Everything working fine. Tested on Intel Dual Core 2.66 Mhz with 01 GB RAM. No issue in live mode, but when ever I want to use a FRUGAL installation, its get stucked at boot at the following text:

Puppypc4274 login : root (automatic login)
login [7714]: root login on 'tty1'

Never saw this error before in any Puppy. It is also confirmed that I already checked the md5. So no error in download. May be something wrong with inittab file. Any Idea ?
UMAIR

umair

#45 Post by umair »

umair wrote:hi koulaxizis:
Nice work. Everything working fine. Tested on Intel Dual Core 2.66 Mhz with 01 GB RAM. No issue in live mode, but when ever I want to use a FRUGAL installation, its get stucked at boot at the following text:

Never saw this error before in any Puppy. It is also confirmed that I already checked the md5. So no error in download. May be something wrong with inittab file. Any Idea ?
UMAIR
I think nobody have a Answer of that. So switching back to PHAT Slacko as I
used only FRUGAL Installation.
Thanks.
UMAIR

dennis-slacko531

A PHATSlacko Great Alternative

#46 Post by dennis-slacko531 »

I've been using it all day. It has everything and even normal stuff like FireFox seems more awesome. I'm trying to get my site (Puppy Only) more popular.
It's called Linux Without eyes (or i's)

http://WWW.LNUX.COM

ThoriumBlvd

#47 Post by ThoriumBlvd »

I think your Slack-55 did an excellant job of covering bases. A lot of the suggestions I've seen here should be pets that can be added according to taste.

Browser, A/V, e-mail, Chat client, paint w/viewer, Office, java, Flash, and pdf Read is a lot on just a CD. I do think your combination in slack-55XL is a good start. Offering Opera, Skype, Gimp, AAC codec (YouTube has "officially changed"), and file encryption for Clouding are good "what else's".

ThoriumBlvd

Small Bug in Slacko-55-XL

#48 Post by ThoriumBlvd »

:o I made img to CD using my 702 model Eee. No problem there. Configured the netbook to boot from USB first, and it did fine until...

XWIN

Seems it dropped out of X because the Video was not supported. And sure enough, there are a few 640X480 resolutions, but no 800X480 support.
(NOTE: there is support for 1024x600, so my ATOM version should go OK)

I need a little help here eventually. What I need is Vert, Refresh and Rez listed in the default XORGWIZARD listing. The i915 driver was found apparantly. Anyone with a 700 series Eee could help, and thanks.

Using the first 640x480 choice on both screens worked OK, and Slacko 55-XL did run OK, but as the mouse moved to drag things (simple Logitech 2 Button +scroll wheel w/button Model M100) Video got very jittery.

Connected to internet and moved around a bit after configuring FF23 to my liking. Shut-down w/o save, and will try with the ATOM-Eee later.

I think this will work quite ok as the ATOM version

Thanks very much for all the efforts here, quite a nice Puppy

Thorium

ThoriumBlvd

Eee-900a Install

#49 Post by ThoriumBlvd »

Though I still have much configuring of SW to do, up and running nicely w/o video bugs. CD--->USB stick. Stick was formatted ntfs/vfat Gparted as ext3.
FF23 configured, and FireFTP installed. Then shutdown w/save.

Typing this from slack55XL on the ATOMicEee.
The introduction is good.
Wifi not playing right, but ethernet solid (and more secure at home).

Thorium

ThoriumBlvd

WiFi and eth cnxns

#50 Post by ThoriumBlvd »

These buggy atheros chips (esp the 5007EG) are indeed quite particular. Frisbee IS the onlly manager that correctly parses the address of both sides of the chip. ETH is 10.0.0.6, and Wifi is 10.0.0.4. Barry's SNS does NOT make this distinction, and therefore cannot complete a WiFi cnxn. Frisbee OTOH sees both sides and can connect. HOWEVER, one cannot have an ethernet cnxn configured (that means physically d/c the cable from the computer) while attempting to establish a WiFi cnxn. Once this is configured, go to the 2nd tab and press the "Restart DHCP" btn. then go to front page.

Frankly the ath chips are half-baked and need hand-holding. Nonetheless just sticking with Frisbee ONLY will get one thru the hoops.

I have been able to get both going... acid test was if I press the hot-key to shut-off Wifi antenna, then restart. Tricky, but works. All of these prgrms look for eth0 first.

Thorium out
Last edited by ThoriumBlvd on Tue 26 Nov 2013, 11:50, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://www.am3radio.us/image3.jpg[/img] . [img]http://www.am3radio.us/image4.jpg[/img]

ThoriumBlvd

#51 Post by ThoriumBlvd »

Using File transfers from sdc (SDHC) to sdb (Thumb-Dr.) are MUCH faster than on the original Eee's using same equip. and drives. Some of my files are quite small and numerous, and yet I have an mp3 or two just to check speed.

The one mp3 is abt. 10Mb and took 6-7 seconds... now about 1-1.25. The card reader (SDHC) is not the culprit, it appears the OS was.

I imported MPaint 344.04... Gimp is over my head. All the other things I'm used to from the Fx keys to shutdown is quite familiar. I find the experience nearly transparent, except for the tabbed, big icons. Now I have room for real pix as wallpaper. 8)

Very nice job, and very well done. Thanks much.

Thorium
[img]http://www.am3radio.us/image3.jpg[/img] . [img]http://www.am3radio.us/image4.jpg[/img]

umair

#52 Post by umair »

umair wrote:
umair wrote:hi koulaxizis:

UMAIR
I think nobody have a Answer of that. So switching back to PHAT Slacko as I
used only FRUGAL Installation.
Thanks.
UMAIR
The above issue has been solved, I tried to save the .fs file with ext2 method. After boot, everything goes well.
Thanks
(UMAIR)

koulaxizis

#53 Post by koulaxizis »

Sorry for not answering all this time but i had some problem with my account and i couldn't login!

@umair Thanks for trying Slacko XL! Glad to hear that your issue was solved. However, i have no idea why did this happened... :?

@dennis-slacko531 Glad you liked it my friend! And thank you for mirroring the ISO. Nice site by the way... ;)

@ThoriumBlvd Thank you very much for this analytic reporting! I'm really happy that my puplet was useful to you!

Some apps tested on Slacko 5.5 XL have been uploaded here... More are about to come... Thank you all for testing, helping, commenting!! :D

Colonel Panic

#54 Post by Colonel Panic »

Hi Christos. Unfortunately I had X Windows freeze up on me when I was trying to install Opera, and I had to press Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to escape from it and return to the console; when I did, xorgwizard wouldn't work.

Can you (or someone else) please advise me about what I should do to get xorgwizard working again when it breaks?

Thanks in advance,

Colonel Panic.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Colonel Panic

#55 Post by Colonel Panic »

Sorry, but I've given up now and installed PuppEX into the same partition, instead. It just wasn't usable without a functioning X Windows.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

koulaxizis

#56 Post by koulaxizis »

Colonel Panic wrote:Sorry, but I've given up now and installed PuppEX into the same partition, instead. It just wasn't usable without a functioning X Windows.
Sorry to hear that! Unfortunately i'm not able to help you with this problem... However i'll look into it as much as i can and i'll return with some answer...

Colonel Panic

#57 Post by Colonel Panic »

koulaxizis wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:Sorry, but I've given up now and installed PuppEX into the same partition, instead. It just wasn't usable without a functioning X Windows.
Sorry to hear that! Unfortunately i'm not able to help you with this problem... However i'll look into it as much as i can and i'll return with some answer...
No problem. I'm sorry to have to report it knowing all the hard work you've put into XL.

If it helps, it isn't just a problem with your distro or even one with Slacko; it's a problem I've found with various versions of Puppy throughout the years (my first Puppy I used was 2.00). I found it (sadly) quite recently on one of my favourite versions of Puppy, Legacy OS4 Mini (based on Puppy 4.21).

ThoriumBlvd

#58 Post by ThoriumBlvd »

Elsewhere in the Puppy Forums I discovered this FreeOffice Suite. Looks to save valuable room in Slack-55XL (about 120Mb !) by not having the rather bulky LO4.x AND Java installed. Is there a possibility of a FreeOffice version of Slacko-55XL?

Volhout

Freeoffice

#59 Post by Volhout »

Freeoffice in puppy is simple.

Go to their website, make a free account, and you can download an archive. Textract this archive to ....anywhere .. I used /home/applications

It will run. It contains all the libs it needs.

It is slightly more work that single clicking a pet, but not that much more.
Making the account, and waiting for the confirmations is most of the work.

Compatibility with MS is good, but the free version has limitations. Read about it on their website. LO does not have these limitations.

ThoriumBlvd

#60 Post by ThoriumBlvd »

I have done all my Spreadsheet/Word Processing for 6 years on OO2/LO4. So my main "compatabiity" is such. The minor is PDF, and reading M$ type files. IIRC these are all quite transparent. I have been to the FreeOffice pages, and thats why the idea was posted. Alot less space and quite probably better performance.

The only problem encountered is registering the FO version at start-up, some folks might not like the idea.