Ralink RT3290 wireless card not found

abcddcba

Ralink RT3290 wireless card not found

#1 Post by abcddcba »

Hello,
I usually search before i post something,but this time i can't make it work.So, i installed puppy linux 5.4.3 FULL to my hdd.Internet is working, but only with cable.

Followed this tutorial
http://rricketts.com/installing-ralink- ... ntu-12-04/ ,but got stuck at the sudo make,gedit (command not found). Then i tried something to use make command (devx sfs)without success.

What to dooo? Thanks.

(Laptop: HP 4540s)

watchdog

#2 Post by watchdog »

The driver rt3290sta.ko is already installed in precise 5.4.3. Try to put in /root/Startup a shell file named as you want with the following content (remember to give it execution permissions):

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
modprobe -r rt3290sta
modprobe -r rt2800pci
modprobe -r rt2x00pci
modprobe rt3290sta

abcddcba

#3 Post by abcddcba »

watchdog wrote:The driver rt3290sta.ko is already installed in precise 5.4.3. Try to put in /root/Startup a shell file named as you want with the following content (remember to give it execution permissions):

#!/bin/sh
modprobe -r rt3290sta
modprobe -r rt2800pci
modprobe -r rt2x00pci
modprobe rt3290sta
It didn't work.. :(

ardvark

#4 Post by ardvark »

Hi....

Do the instructions here help?

In case you can't get it to work under Puppy and Ubuntu is too heavy for your system, you can try Lubuntu a try. The instructions here should get your wireless working for that OS if there is no native "out of the box" support for your chipset. :)

Regards...
Our Lord and Savior [url=http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/]Jesus Christ[/url] loves and cares about you most of all!

PLEASE READ! You don't have to end up [url=http://www.spiritlessons.com/Documents/BillWiese_23MinutesInHell_Text.htm]here![/url]

watchdog

#5 Post by watchdog »

I have compiled the driver of your first post. I attach it. To install it manually go to /lib/modules/3.2.29/kernel/drivers/net/wireless and rename the existing rt3290sta.ko driver as rt3290sta.ko.old. Then unzip in that directory the attached driver. Try if it works after rebooting.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9iMb4U ... sp=sharing

abcddcba

#6 Post by abcddcba »

Well,here's what i did,but still doesn't work,maybe a new installation of another puppy linux version?

So,i copied rt3290sta.ko to one of my drives,from Windows.
Then, i copied it (from puppy linux) to /lib/modules/3.2.29/kernel/drivers/net/wireless . (There wasn't another rt3290sta.ko to rename it.)
Then i did a restart and nothing. (Maybe before restart i had to do something)

Then, i noticed that in a folder (can't remember which one) for the ralink there was no rt3290.bin..if there should be one :D

watchdog

#7 Post by watchdog »

Boot your full hd install of precise 5.4.3. If there was not a rt3290sta.ko driver I think you have a damaged install becase it should be there. But now you say to have copied the posted rt3290sta.ko driver in that location. If after rebooting you still do not see a wireless connection in network wizard try to run these lines in console:

modprobe -r rt3290sta
modprobe -r rt2800pci
modprobe -r rt2x00pci
modprobe rt3290sta
Wait few seconds and try again if you see wireless connection. If you don't see any wireless connection to configure, Post the output of:

lsmod
and

lspci
EDIT: if you need and if some dependancy is needed I have uploaded the entire pet package as result of the compilation of the driver at link in the first post:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9iMb4U ... sp=sharing

abcddcba

#8 Post by abcddcba »

So, :D

when i was typing modprobe -r rt3290sta it was returning WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/wl, it will be ignored in a future release.
FATAL: Module rt3290sta not found.

Then,i downloaded the pet file,double clicked it and now it FOUND the interface.But,it's not yet working. But,at least i have ra0 - wireless driver.

After i press Load profile..it says connecting to interface ra0...and then it says it FAILED.

Oh,and another thing. When i want to shutdown my pc from puppy, it does a restart. I had this problem on Pinguy also,after installing the drivers for wireless. I think the Wake on Lan is activated. I'll try other solutions in a day or two,when i get back.Thanks :D

watchdog

#9 Post by watchdog »

abcddcba wrote: After i press Load profile..it says connecting to interface ra0...and then it says it FAILED.
Try to delete your wireless profile and to recreate again it. Choose button Scan to find your wireless. Click on the encryption used. Put your password. Save the profile. Then "Use this profile". At end AutoDHCP. Done.

abcddcba

#10 Post by abcddcba »

I'm almost there :D

So,it worked but only if the Wireless connection is OPEN or WEP,because i can select for profile password only OPEN and WEP,so i made my wireless connection without password and it worked,but i want it to connect to a WPA/WPA2 security type connection,obviously.
I can press OPEN and WEP,but the other two buttons are disabled.

(Unfortunately i didn't know how to make a print screen :( i hope you get the picture :D )

watchdog

#11 Post by watchdog »

abcddcba wrote: I can press OPEN and WEP,but the other two buttons are disabled.
Odd behaviour... It could depend on the source code used to compile or you need to load some other kernel module. I don't know. Somebody speaks well about Frisbee. I have not experience with it. But, what about WEP encryption? Better than nothing.

watchdog

#12 Post by watchdog »

I have read the readme.txt of the driver. Open with geany /etc/Wireless/RT2860STA/RT2860STA.dat and change:

AuthMode=WPA2PSK
EncrypType=AES

Reboot to use WPA2 encryption.

abcddcba

#13 Post by abcddcba »

that didn't work :( but still thank you very much.. :D i'll search for some solutions and if not,i'll use wep password :)