Why use gettext?

For discussions about programming, programming questions/advice, and projects that don't really have anything to do with Puppy.
MochiMoppel

Why use gettext?

#1 Post by MochiMoppel »

In puppy scripts I often see statements like

Code: Select all

MSG="$(gettext 'Please wait')"
I would be tempted to simply use

Code: Select all

MSG="Please wait"
I'm sure I'm missing something, but what? Gettext seems to be a very powerful tool for multilanguage text processing, but without any further arguments like in most puppy scripts, does it more than a simple string assignment?

technosaurus

#2 Post by technosaurus »

It is an external program used to get localized translations of a string.
For ex. if LANG=es, it would return "Hola Mundo" (or something like that for "Hello World")

BTW, There is an alternative method for translation in shell scripts:
http://extra-inter.net/puppy/t12s_DOC/t12s.html
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

MochiMoppel

#3 Post by MochiMoppel »

Thanks for the feedback and the link. I've now tried a language pack and seen gettext in action. I roughly know what is going on.

Still I'm not sure if I should use it. I try to learn from the hundreds of scripts in Puppy. They all apply a more or less consistent programming style and are a fantastic source to explore the possibilities of bash, so I treat them with respect. But sometimes I dare to make changes, and here comes my concern: When I make changes to an existing script that uses all these gettext functions, what is "best practise"? Should I

a) also use gettext, though I don't provide translations? Would this make life easier for someone to add translations later?

b) use simple string assignments as an honest statement that there are no translations available?

c) search (how?) to see, if my text "Please wait" has been translated? If it has, then use gettext, if it hasn't, use the simple way.

Of course all this is irrelevant if I make changes for my own pleasure, but if I ever publish code in the forum, I want it to conform to whatever standards are established.

L18L

#4 Post by L18L »

MochiMoppel wrote:...When I make changes to an existing script that uses all these gettext functions, what is "best practise"? Should I

a) also use gettext, though I don't provide translations? Would this make life easier for someone to add translations later
Yes of course.
It is the translator who will provide a translation.

Note; a translations is not added to the script but maybe just added to the *-NLS.pet or the language pack..