Touch - An Evolutionary Start by Ubuntu

News, happenings
jpeps

#21 Post by jpeps »

gcmartin wrote: I say that to say that a receptionist in a hospital entrance will NOT get the kind of tools that would be provided a doctor/nurse.
So who's providing what to the doctor/nurse?
Am I wrong on that?
I was asking a legitimate question. You mentioned some specific clinics, so I assumed you knew something that I don't. Am I wrong on that?

Q5sys

#22 Post by Q5sys »

jpeps wrote:
gcmartin wrote: I say that to say that a receptionist in a hospital entrance will NOT get the kind of tools that would be provided a doctor/nurse.
So who's providing what to the doctor/nurse?
Am I wrong on that?
I was asking a legitimate question. You mentioned some specific clinics, so I assumed you knew something that I don't. Am I wrong on that?
gcmartin wrote:If you want specifics, ask your doctor friend to approach either Cleveland Clinic or Johns Hopkins.

Where they may not talk to you, they will to another doctor. And, in their cases, their IT departments have presented.
I live in Baltimore, My friend that I'm referring to works at Johns Hopkins handling all the Pharmacy IT work. As of yet, they do not have a adequate solution for Compliance across Android devices. As a Hospital Policy patent data may not hit a mobile device because of a inability for them to properly secure medical data as required by Federal Law. The hospital wants to set up a internal cloud for patient data for use by any medical provider regardless of what device they are on, but they are unable to do so with the current nonavailability of a way to secure the dissemination of that information on mobile devices. So access to patient information can only occur on a system that web sense will run on. The IT staff does not feel that the web sense mobile tools offer a solution that will work as needed.

If you are aware of a solution that Johns Hopkins, please by all means give me a name of someone there that I can refer him to.
You have made claims but refuse to provide one single reference that anyone else can use to verify your claims. Is it really that difficult for you to provide a source for your claims?

If you've already found the information, share it. Dont just tell anyone else to 'go find it on your own'. If you are 'here to help' then help.

You have also not provided information on a full dual Android/Linux system encryption system. Are you aware of something in this area, or are you just assuming that something has been created?

gcmartin wrote:I have to ask, publicly, why do you find the need to constantly quote someone in your post??? You could have just as easily asked the community for comment. Then others may be more apt to share good useful information with you. Something you "may" want to consider as this is a forum. Most of us read and follow things reasonable well without the need to quote. I dont mean this in a "spirited" manner. Just an idea being presented for consideration.
I use the quote button because I like to directly reference what I'm reply to. Since you like to use the 'edit' button to change your posts after someone comments... I choose to use the 'quote' button to preserve the comment you made that I'm replying to. That way if you change it later, people can see what my comments were in relation to.

If you have a problem with the quote button's use. Convince admin to remove that functionality from this site.

gcmartin

#23 Post by gcmartin »

Q5sys, I dont think I can help. Try approaching the IT department evaluating the touch devices. There is work being done. They already have the toolkits and are underway, already.

There is also work being done, as well, down the road from you at both Ft. Meade as well as at NIH. This is in your back yard and you're running here in the forum for answers you can get by knocking on doors of those who will share information with you. Also, lastly, in Montgomery County there are 2 firms also working to bring this technology into the medical community.

You live there and you're asking me to get you inside. Wow.

Hope this helps

Q5sys

#24 Post by Q5sys »

gcmartin wrote:Q5sys, I dont think I can help. Try approaching the IT department evaluating the touch devices. There is work being done. They already have the toolkits and are underway, already.

There is also work being done, as well, down the road from you at both Ft. Meade as well as at NIH. This is in your back yard and you're running here in the forum for answers you can get by knocking on doors of those who will share information with you. Also, lastly, in Montgomery County there are 2 firms also working to bring this technology into the medical community.

You live there and you're asking me to get you inside. Wow.

Hope this helps
You are speaking from a position of knowledge. I'm simply asking you to share your knowledge since you claim to be 'Here to help'.

You're telling me to approach the IT department at Johns Hopkins to ask about solutions, when then their own IT staff are unaware of any solutions and are actively looking for some. How can they give answers about solutions that they are unaware of. Solutions that you claim to be aware of.

So you're saying you know more about what the IT department at Johns Hopkins is doing than their own IT staff, but are unwilling to share that knowledge?
Seriously?

I'll think you said it best in the LHP thread.
gcmartin wrote:If you have a link, you could post it here in this thread.
Others would benefit and we could begin to spread the word.
Last edited by Q5sys on Thu 12 Sep 2013, 02:23, edited 2 times in total.

jpeps

#25 Post by jpeps »

[quote]
Security considerations are the greatest risk involved in supporting mobility, at least in the view of 70 percent of IT staff surveyed for the CompTIA study. Among the challenges they face:

* Downloading unauthorized apps, cited as a serious concern by 48 percent of respondents
* Lost or stolen devices (42 percent)
* Mobile-specific viruses and malware (41 percent)
* Open Wi-Fi networks (41 percent)
* USB flash drives (40 percent)
* Personal use of business devices (40 percent)

“Issues such as mobile device management and mobile security are really in the beginning stages,

Q5sys

#26 Post by Q5sys »

[quote="jpeps"][quote]
Security considerations are the greatest risk involved in supporting mobility, at least in the view of 70 percent of IT staff surveyed for the CompTIA study. Among the challenges they face:

* Downloading unauthorized apps, cited as a serious concern by 48 percent of respondents
* Lost or stolen devices (42 percent)
* Mobile-specific viruses and malware (41 percent)
* Open Wi-Fi networks (41 percent)
* USB flash drives (40 percent)
* Personal use of business devices (40 percent)

“Issues such as mobile device management and mobile security are really in the beginning stages,

gcmartin

#27 Post by gcmartin »

Q5sys, there is development. Sorry they wont share with you.

But, as noted, using data which exist in central databases isn't a matter of whether its PC integration. Its a matter of device integration as is pointed out.

You are the Med Industry Expert for the person(s) you represent. Surely you are also aware of the changes, the development and the testing underway.

I'm a little confused by your quest in this thread. Are you looking for Touch solutions in Medicine? Are you looking for a particular solution for a specific department in Johns Hopkin University Hospital, its University, or one of the myriad of Drug Stores in the JHUHC community. And why is a druggist who works somewhere concerned at all about what technology he is going to be given? or are you suggesting he is unhappy with what he has and would like a different technology? How can we help you best? And please ask this to the community because there may be ideas to help that you haven't thought of?

Share what you think will enlighten us.

gcmartin

Sony moves their manufacturing to touch

#28 Post by gcmartin »

Understanding the direction that Ubuntu wants to take, here is one which is continuing agressively. (Note the percentages.)

It also should be noted that particular Universities around the world are indicating that entrants should bring laptops with no mention of desktops. This is a subtle indication of what occurring in front of all of us.

FYI

Keef

#29 Post by Keef »

entrants should bring laptops with no mention of desktops
...and anyone thinking of carting in a tower system with a 19" CRT monitor better think again.

jpeps

#30 Post by jpeps »

Keef wrote:
entrants should bring laptops with no mention of desktops
...and anyone thinking of carting in a tower system with a 19" CRT monitor better think again.
That would work nicely with an Edge. For taking a notes, a clipboard and pen beats everything by far.

Q5sys

#31 Post by Q5sys »

gcmartin wrote:Q5sys, there is development. Sorry they wont share with you.

But, as noted, using data which exist in central databases isn't a matter of whether its PC integration. Its a matter of device integration as is pointed out.

You are the Med Industry Expert for the person(s) you represent. Surely you are also aware of the changes, the development and the testing underway.

I'm a little confused by your quest in this thread. Are you looking for Touch solutions in Medicine? Are you looking for a particular solution for a specific department in Johns Hopkin University Hospital, its University, or one of the myriad of Drug Stores in the JHUHC community. And why is a druggist who works somewhere concerned at all about what technology he is going to be given? or are you suggesting he is unhappy with what he has and would like a different technology? How can we help you best? And please ask this to the community because there may be ideas to help that you haven't thought of?

Share what you think will enlighten us.
Wait hold on a second... You're claiming Johns Hopkins has a solution that they are not sharing with their own IT department? They are actively looking for a solution to the BYOD problem with respect to their internal networks.
They have not found a solution and are looking for one. Their primary concern is medical providers using iOS and Android devices on the network while conducting their work.

Had you even bothered to read my posts earlier you would have understood that my friend who works for JH, is in the IT department. He, and the entire IT staff is concerned about this issue, because there is no current solution that answers their problems.

You have made claims that there is a solution, and that they know what it is. I'd be fascinated to know how you are aware of things that Johns Hopkins is doing in the realm of IT that Johns Hopkins IT staff is unaware of.
Seriously if you know of something, give Stephanie, Alan, or Darren a call. I am more than willing to give you their phone numbers if you'd like to give them a call and inform them of whatever knowledge you claim to have.
I'm sure they'd love to know what 'wonder solution' you know about.
Since you apparently are refusing to share it here, would you like to share it with them directly?

The major issue with BYOD mobile devices in the Medical system is the fact that the hospital has no control over data once it hits the device. Different applications have different permissions. Many apps have permissions on the device that are completely pointless other than to give the developer as much info as possible on the device and what its used for. I had a text editor on my phone once that could read and access full SMS message history along with full network access, etc. There's no reason a text editor should be touching anything other than the SD card. But the application had those permissions so it'd do whatever it wanted.
This is a problem because it means anyone who walks into the hospital with a mobile device and tries to do hospital related work on it, has the possibility of leaking hospital data (whether patient, insurance, anything) to a 3rd party. There is nothing network side that can prevent an application on a mobile device from sending data out.
While IT could attempt to create a solution for common programs, the number of applications available in the app stores is so vast they would never be able to find a solution for every one.

Going the Android/iOS route for a mobile devices (even non BYOD) are still rife with problems. After a meeting the other day, I recommended they invest in Vivaldi Tablets so that they can build it into their existing framework. Afterall, since that's a full linux distro, it gives them the ability to easily tailor it to their exact specific needs.

For the record, I'm not a Med Industry Expert. I'm an IT Security Consultant. My friend who works at JH as the IT tech for the pharmacy - I've known for years. He's brought me in on a few meetings to pitch ideas. And its from those meetings that I've gathered their problem with the current software offerings.

I think it deserves to be repeated...
q5sys wrote:I'll think you said it best in the LHP thread.
gcmartin wrote:If you have a link, you could post it here in this thread.
Others would benefit and we could begin to spread the word.
Share what you know... or admit that you dont know anything. I dont care which of those two you choose... But please choose one of them. Dont BS us and act like you know something if you really dont. If you're 'Here to help'. Then help.

jpeps

#32 Post by jpeps »

Q5sys wrote: I had a text editor on my phone once that could read and access full SMS message history along with full network access, etc. There's no reason a text editor should be touching anything other than the SD card. But the application had those permissions so it'd do whatever it wanted.
Google admitted to collecting SMS message info. I'm fairly sure the various android keyboards send out info. Google's position, as expressed nicely by Eric Schmidt: "If you have something that you don't want anyone to know, maybe you shouldn't be doing it in the first place." uh..gee thanks, Eric.

Maybe you could contact Mark $Zuckerberg$ for assistance :)
(he can help monetize your network)

re: Vivaldi: looks like a linux KDE nightmare

jamesbond

#33 Post by jamesbond »

jpeps wrote:re: Vivaldi: looks like a linux KDE nightmare
Please explain why is it a nightmare?
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

jpeps

#34 Post by jpeps »

jamesbond wrote:
jpeps wrote:re: Vivaldi: looks like a linux KDE nightmare
Please explain why is it a nightmare?
Looks like they finally have a prototype as of June, but still struggling with it:

*X11: running, still toying with opengl
*Still waiting on a pair of drivers

"Which means we are finally, after months of unexpected delays (it's amazing how many different ways a PCB can be done in not-quite-the-right way ...)"

jpeps

#35 Post by jpeps »

Just ran across this message regarding mobile device/cloud issue:

"Long story short, we had to let one of our employees go due to theft. He was given access to a gmail account that we added job details to. the problem is that I thought changing the account password would mean that the events and their details would be deleted on his phone. Since I have a spare phone that is set up just like his, I see that this did nothing, I can still access the events and their details... then I went into the gmail and deleted all events and details (I thought long and hard about this one) but did it anyway since it was a must. STILL the event and details are accessible on this phone.."

gcmartin

#36 Post by gcmartin »

As a courtesy to @Q5sys. You have a habit of twisting as you try derailing discussions in your past. "IF NO ONE IS SHARING WITH YOU THERE, LOOK ELSEWHERE AS ITS ALL OVER THE AREA AROUND YOU!" If you're not satisfied with what I share ask the forum and cut the crap. I have "touch" upon the how this touch technology is changing stuff. You came in as one who consults in the medical industry in meetings, yet you say, yourself, otherwise....hummm? How does one Consult and present to a medical group. yet feel they are not a part of??? "A little embarrassing", I think, of you.

The following is an article you may find informational
We don't necessarily need a comment about this here, but, if this helps you as you try to assist in the medical industry, use it to your advantage. This thread is not about Medical Industry direction(s).

I am not that interested in the pro-con discussions about technology. "The use ...", is where the industry is headed and I/we DONT have controls. But, we can envision how to exploit technology for the things we need and use.

This thread started in presenting the work of one Linux group's plans in exploiting technology for useful purposes.

Hope this helps

jpeps

#37 Post by jpeps »

gcmartin wrote: The following is an article you may find informational
They use a private network accessible only in-house via WiFi. They could use WiFi only devices. They could also restrict where the devices may be used. ( I think this use of devices was already noted as a non-issue above)

"As pharmacists switched floors to check on various patients, the iPad could lose Internet access and connection with the hospital’s virtual private network"

gcmartin: For sure, mobile touchpads offer lots of advantages if you can get around the security issues. We're not talking about the Edge, though.

gcmartin

#38 Post by gcmartin »

jpeps wrote:They use a private network accessible only in-house via WiFi. .. For sure, mobile touchpads offer lots of advantages if you can get around the security issues. ... .
I agree with your insights on this. A closed network is a well understood form of security in corporate world. Thx.

Monsie

Touch - An Evolutionary Start by Ubuntu

#39 Post by Monsie »

gcmartin wrote:
The following is an article you may find informational
We don't necessarily need a comment about this here, but, if this helps you as you try to assist in the medical industry, use it to your advantage. This thread is not about Medical Industry direction(s).
This article touched on some usability issues regarding the iPad in the hospital environment, for instance:
The iPad keyboard also proved a limiting factor, as no external keyboard devices were used in the study, and the onboard keyboard was considered small. The connectivity problems prompted researchers to investigate other mobile technology offerings, including other types of tablet devices, as well as notebook computers...
Since the Ubuntu Edge was designed to dock to a monitor to operate as a PC, the keyboard issue could be resolved by running an on-screen keyboard --especially if that monitor was, in fact, a touch screen. That said, there are other Android smartphones being produced now with a hdmi connection that would allow hook up to a TV or monitor:
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/droid-meet ... o-your-tv/

The bottom line is that it really doesn't matter who produces the hardware, just that it works, so that the health care industry benefits in terms of allowing the professionals to do their work efficiently... -- without being frustrated for example by a virtual keyboard that require one to have fingers and thumbs the size of q-tips in order to use it effectively. :roll:

Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

bark_bark_bark

#40 Post by bark_bark_bark »

I think until voice or touch is anywhere near useful and reliable, we will still be using a 104/105-key keyboard. touch relies on blood still flowing in your arm (which after 5 words it wont be), while voice requires reliable software that can recognize words, even with a foreign accent. Most software work better with big and complicated words and suck at small words. Luckly that helps for doctors who aren't good at spelling fancy Latin names for medications, but isn't for someone telling their PDA with a cellular phone built-in (aka "smartphone") to call a taxi.