Things I Wish To Do In Puppy That Get Too Many Suggestions

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
jimwg

Things I Wish To Do In Puppy That Get Too Many Suggestions

#1 Post by jimwg »

Greetings!

I thought of making a topic for each of these requests after long topic searching and Googling only left me confused and running down blind alleys. Instead, I'm hoping by asking for advice on a free-wheeling topic without strict topic confines. I fully understand that Puppy isn't Mint and I shouldn't ask or push it to do its features or tricks, so if it's undoable just educate this non-techie Linux newbie ex-Mac codger on that! :) I'm running Precise Retro 5.7

If it's possible can Puppy "blank out" or render invisible all desktop icons, and if possible but only by command-line, can it be done under a simple macro-like toggle?

Can desktop icons be easily shrunk at least half-size? If they can but the "icon field" they're embedded in remains the same size is there a way to make such fields overlap another so smaller icons can be placed closer together?

I very much like the contextual menu that pops up when you copy or move files from one drive to another, but I'd like a safety-catch feature that enables you to lock out Move mode in case you unwittingly click that when you really meant to copy but missed it.

I might have this wrong, but when it's said Puppy can run entirely in memory and you could even remove the CD it was loaded from, does that go for flash drives too? When I boot from flash Puppy warns not to remove the flash drive.

When I attempt to use Nathan Wallpaper setter to slideshow files on another partition it sometimes balks about wrong directories and display modes before I get it running, as though it doesn't remember folders or partitions it used after a reboot. Does that restrict me slideshow images residing the same partition Puppy boots from?

Was there ever an attempt to "modularize" Puppy components such that the browser or word processor or games or such other features and apps aren't rolled and squeezed up into one save file but are compressed separately which can be readily culled or added without the process of re-mastering CDs?

I always appreciate your time educating me here, which in turn I'll pass on to home schoolers.

Thanks!

Jim in NYC

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Jim, please start a separate thread for each of your questions! :lol:

The forum works better for everyone when you do it that way.