Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 27 Nov 2014, 09:22
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Disabling Multisession - is this possible?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
arseh2

PostPosted: Sun 01 Sep 2013, 04:13    Post_subject:  Disabling Multisession - is this possible?  

I want to disable multisession in the Live CD. I do not want anything to be stored in the CD and want to store in the usb drive whenever I wish. Is there any way to disable multisession? Or - finalizing the CD is just sufficient? Rolling Eyes
Sylvander

PostPosted: Sun 01 Sep 2013, 04:51    Post_subject:  

1. At 1st shutdown...
Or at shutdown after a boot using no pupsave...
a. You will be asked whether you want to save, and if so to where.
Just don't choose to save to "CD" [optical disk], then no multi-session capability will be made of the rewritable disk.
Once a pupsave is in use, you will not be asked if you want to save, unless you do 3 below.

b. If you want to use a frugal install, choose to make a pupsave on a Flash Drive.
This is assuming you want to boot from a CD, and have the pupsave held on a Flash Drive.

2. If you want to make a frugal install bootable Flash Drive...
[No optical disk needed/used during boot]
The following method worked well for me.
I guess it will work with pretty much any Puppy.
How To Do A USB Install Of Puppy Linux Slacko.

3. "...want to store in the usb drive whenever I wish"
To be able to choose whether/when you want to save...
SEE THIS POST.
arseh2

PostPosted: Sun 01 Sep 2013, 04:59    Post_subject:  

Thanks.

And also - will finalizing the CD burn will double secure this issue?
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Sun 01 Sep 2013, 08:02    Post_subject:  

It should. Try it and see (you can use a rewritable disk.) Let us know what you find out. Smile
Sylvander

PostPosted: Sun 01 Sep 2013, 09:34    Post_subject:  

When you burn the ISO image to a CD-rewritable the session is automatically CLOSED by default, but automatically NOT CLOSED by default when burned to a DVD-rewritable.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Sun 01 Sep 2013, 11:40    Post_subject:  

Sylvander wrote:
When you burn the ISO image to a CD-rewritable the session is automatically CLOSED by default, but automatically NOT CLOSED by default when burned to a DVD-rewritable.

I don't know what burning program you're using, but that's not true of either Burniso2cd or Pburn, both of which are in Puppy.
arseh2

PostPosted: Sun 01 Sep 2013, 13:52    Post_subject:  

Rewritable disk is a good idea. I wasted 4 CD/DVD-R yesterday. After your suggestion, I found a CD-RW from years back, in the drawer. Now I will test with it.

Flash wrote:
It should. Try it and see (you can use a rewritable disk.) Let us know what you find out. Smile
Sylvander

PostPosted: Sun 01 Sep 2013, 15:15    Post_subject:  

Flash wrote:
...that's not true of either Burniso2cd or Pburn

Hmmm...
I'm no expert.
I normally use Burniso2cd.
Formed the stated/quoted belief.
So I'm wrong?
Back to the drawing board eh?
So what DO the do?
James C

PostPosted: Sun 01 Sep 2013, 18:04    Post_subject:  

2.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   45.64 KB
 Viewed   169 Time(s)

2.jpg

Burniso2cd.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   34.07 KB
 Viewed   163 Time(s)

Burniso2cd.jpg

Sylvander

PostPosted: Sun 01 Sep 2013, 19:22    Post_subject:  

So surely I was correct in my belief.
1. "DVD's are always burnt "open".
And...
2. With CD's there is a choice of closed or open, but...
With CD's there is a choice of "normal" or "multi", but normal is the default [that's what you get if you hit <Enter>], and that is automatically closed.
Jasper

PostPosted: Sun 01 Sep 2013, 20:34    Post_subject:  

Hi arseh2 et al,

The questioner asked:

I want to disable multisession in the Live CD. I do not want anything to be stored in the CD and want to store in the usb drive whenever I wish. Is there any way to disable multisession? Or - finalizing the CD is just sufficient?

The answers are:
(a) Yes - a multi-session can be disabled by using “puppy pfix=ram” when the Boot-Splash-Screen shows
(b) No - finalising the CD would not help.

The italicised paragraph below merely elaborates some background since the “multisession-live-CD/DVD” is unique to Puppy and has been my favourite “installation” option using Slacko and Precise.

Those questions almost certainly concern a Multi-session-live-CD[or DVD] which not only has the facility to keep a full and updatable Puppy Operating System on a CD [or DVD], but that this facility has actually been utilised and at least one dated folder [from the first shut down] appears on the CD/DVD (together with the data previously burned from the ISO).
Any saved folder(s) saved back to the multi-session CD/DVD from any earlier sessions will also usually show on booting (so long as the CD/DVD has been set to boot first, but no actions has been taken either by typing anything or pressing either the F2 or F3 keys when the Boot-Splash-Screen shows.

Here are some thoughts on Multi-session and Standard CDs, DVDs, Burniso2Cd and Pburn (they are numbered for ease of reference/correction):

(1) I have found all Puppy’s Multi-session references to “experimental” are outdated and may be safely ignored.
(2) I have found Burniso2CD is simple, intuitive. and fast. When a choice of fomat is available the options are clearly displayed - so there no need for user concern about default settings.
(3) Burniso2CD does auto-fast-blank some used rewritable disks, (at least of the DVD+RW type) before burning an ISO. That is despite the note that insertion of a blank disk is always necessary.
(4) In my experience CD-R disks (which can be formatted as Standard or Multi-session) boot in exactly the same time as a DVD holding indenical data - however, DVDs burn and add data significantly faster than CDs.
Flash now uses modern 25GB capacity DVDs which I believe are also very fast, but the system needs an expensive drive.
(5) I am 99% certain that Zigbert wrote that his Pburn can close any open disk (including rewritable multi-session DVDs). It used to be written that open disks might only be used in the drive where their data was written, but closed disks were not thus restricted.
(6) It is possible to use a Puppy Multi-session-live-CD[or DVD] in immaginative ways e.g. by saving data such as spreadsheets, sfs files, anywhere as-you-go and/or by using links by say, moving big browser folders (with bookmarks, cache and configs) to say, a flash stick and then copying them back to their original locations using links (which have no size).
(7) I have seen it written that Desktop computers are the most reliable and sometimes essential to run Puppy Multi-session-CD/DVDs effectively.

My regards

PS CatDude & smokey01 and rcrsn51 have updated/added two pets in recent weeks and someone may wish to post a comment in this thread.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum