Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 15 Sep 2014, 05:49
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
FatdogArm Alpha [CLOSED]
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 5 [72 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
jamesbond

PostPosted: Sun 25 Aug 2013, 03:35    Post subject:  FatdogArm Alpha [CLOSED]
Subject description: Alpha release of Fatdog64 ported to ARM platform

FatdogArm is a port of Fatdog64 to the ARM platform; specifically to Mele A1000. It is hand-built from scratch and thus does not depend on any upstream distribution. It runs frugal install (along with associated benefits such as sandboxing and load-sfs-on-the-fly) and has almost all of Fatdog64 boot features.

There is no documentation yet but you can use Fatdog64 documentation - and in fact if you are not familiar with Fatdog64, you should consult that documentation first.

Homepage: http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/arm-index.html

Release Notes: http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/arm-alpha.html

Download: http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/arm/images/

How to adopt FatdogArm for other platforms.

EDIT:
Superseded by alpha2, here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=88719, note that initial alpha image has been removed.

Last edited by jamesbond on Wed 02 Oct 2013, 08:10; edited 3 times in total
ally

PostPosted: Sun 25 Aug 2013, 08:07    Post subject:  

I am adding fatdog-arm to the puppy linux channel on archive.org

http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_Fatdog_Arm

Smile
Ted Dog

PostPosted: Sun 25 Aug 2013, 16:53    Post subject:  

sweet! Thanks!!! Will be using this for a while.
Ted Dog

PostPosted: Sun 25 Aug 2013, 22:42    Post subject:  

Ah! burger! need to change the default script.bin to boot p60

video=disp.screen0_output_mode=EDID:1280x720p60

for the Americas (at least USA, Canada and Mexico)

are they still using the FEX file,

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=78576

Here are a lot of older details going to try an oldie...
jamesbond

PostPosted: Mon 26 Aug 2013, 02:39    Post subject:  

Yes the kernel still use fex file, you can drop your script.bin to the first FAT partition if you want to; but there is a better way of doing it (try this first before changing the script.bin): edit uEnv.txt and change the video mode to p60. Let me know whether this works for you or whether you have to modify script.bin (in theory, it should work ...)

Note that by default I'm only reserving 8MB for the framebuffer, if you're running 1080p this may not be enough ... change that on the "extras" line too.

raffy

PostPosted: Mon 26 Aug 2013, 04:05    Post subject: nice small img  

That's a nice small img to copy to SD card, even 512 MB card will do.

My monitor is two-year-old LCD with VGA and DVI connections (HDMI cable connects to DVI), but am having no luck so far. (Perhaps the Mele is already broken?) Will try tomorrow in the office where I keep my CRT monitor.

Ted Dog

PostPosted: Mon 26 Aug 2013, 12:03    Post subject:  

jamesbond wrote:
Yes the kernel still use fex file, you can drop your script.bin to the first FAT partition if you want to; but there is a better way of doing it (try this first before changing the script.bin): edit uEnv.txt and change the video mode to p60. Let me know whether this works for you or whether you have to modify script.bin (in theory, it should work ...)

Note that by default I'm only reserving 8MB for the framebuffer, if you're running 1080p this may not be enough ... change that on the "extras" line too.

Tried that, it did not work. looks like the fex file is one off, ie looks like they added another line so my old fexc program does not work, will recompile the newer one and try making changes again.
MalcolmX86

PostPosted: Mon 26 Aug 2013, 23:46    Post subject: Is this BeagleBoard usable with FatDogArm ?
Subject description: I saw a Beagleboard on wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BeagleBoard

Quote:
The BeagleBoard measures approximately 75 by 75 mm and has all the functionality of a basic computer.[8] The OMAP3530 includes an ARM Cortex-A8 CPU (which can run Linux, FreeBSD,[9] OpenBSD, [10] RISC OS,[11] or Symbian; Android is also being ported[12]), a TMS320C64x+ DSP for accelerated video and audio decoding, and an Imagination Technologies PowerVR SGX530 GPU to provide accelerated 2D and 3D rendering that supports OpenGL ES 2.0. Video out is provided through separate S-Video and HDMI connections. A single SD/MMC card slot supporting SDIO, a USB On-The-Go port, an RS-232 serial connection, a JTAG connection, and two stereo 3.5 mm jacks for audio in/out are provided.

Built-in storage and memory are provided through a PoP chip that includes 256 MB of NAND flash memory and 256 MB of RAM (128 MB on earlier models).
jamesbond

PostPosted: Tue 27 Aug 2013, 01:10    Post subject:  

Ted Dog wrote:
Tried that, it did not work. looks like the fex file is one off, ie looks like they added another line so my old fexc program does not work, will recompile the newer one and try making changes again.

Statically compiled fexc attached, should work in any x86 platform.

Raffy wrote:
My monitor is two-year-old LCD with VGA and DVI connections (HDMI cable connects to DVI), but am having no luck so far. (Perhaps the Mele is already broken?) Will try tomorrow in the office where I keep my CRT monitor.

Ah I thought they have resolved this issue and everything can be controlled from the kernel, but apparently not. This is the display setting reference:
http://linux-sunxi.org/Fex_Guide#disp_init_configuration.

Anyway once you booted off, there is a utility called "a10disp" which can switch output from VGA/HDMI/LCD and change the video modes too (changing the video modes work but the kernel console driver gets very confused).

MalcolmX86 wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BeagleBoard

In theory yes (I can boot FatdogArm on 300MB configuration, so 256MB is not that far off, and running the entire desktop only takes about 80MB), but I'm not sure how fast the
CPU is. BeagleBone would be a more comfortable target.

Of course, you need to compile your own bootloader + kernel for that. Please read the last link on the first post.
fexc.gz
Description  gunzip first then chmod +x
static binary usable for 32-bit and 64-bit puppies
gz

Download 
Filename  fexc.gz 
Filesize  26.42 KB 
Downloaded  214 Time(s) 

mavrothal

PostPosted: Tue 27 Aug 2013, 17:32    Post subject: compiling  

Tried to compile few things needed for ARMedXO (Shocked Laughing) and I have some issues.
The xobattery monitor that I usually compile with the simple
Code:
gcc `pkg-config --cflags --libs gtk+-2.0`
in the x86 versions, fails because can not find xproto.pc (indeed does not exit) and gtk/gtk.h though is there. Any issues with the linker library?
I also need ethtool and evtest fro proper power management and they fail. Ethtool because aclocal is missing and evtest because of autoreconf.
Two (more) questions, are you using sources from a specific distro (ie debian) or whatever latest is available from the developer(s)?
Are you using a standard set of "config" arguments, whatever the developer proposes or is a case by case approach?
Best

raffy

PostPosted: Tue 27 Aug 2013, 18:37    Post subject: a1000  

Alas, my Mele A1000 looks bricked. It will take some time for the cubieboard or new Mele to arrive, two weeks at most.
jamesbond

PostPosted: Wed 28 Aug 2013, 02:57    Post subject:  

mavrothal wrote:
Tried to compile few things needed for ARMedXO (Shocked Laughing) and I have some issues.
The xobattery monitor that I usually compile with the simple
Code:
gcc `pkg-config --cflags --libs gtk+-2.0`
in the x86 versions, fails because can not find xproto.pc (indeed does not exit) and gtk/gtk.h though is there. Any issues with the linker library?

All the "X protocolor header" files (xproto, damageproto, etc) are removed to reduce size; you can install all of them back like this:

Code:

slapt-get --available | sed '/proto-/!d; s/ .*//' | xargs slapt-get -i --no-dep

I also tried to build a simple gtk program (technosaurus' sdesk from here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=714677#714677 with this:
Code:

gcc -o sdesk $(pkg-config --cflags --libs gtk+-2.0) sdesk.c
and it worked.

Are you still running the pre-alpha? That copy has missing static libraries in it which is required for compiling (I was too agressive in trying to cut down the size).

Quote:
I also need ethtool and evtest fro proper power management and they fail. Ethtool because aclocal is missing and evtest because of autoreconf.
Autoconf, automake, m4, flex and bison is in the repository, you need to install them first --- again done to reduce the size. That being said, I'll probably build these too and push it to the repository (I still owe you the dhcpcd).

Quote:
Two (more) questions, are you using sources from a specific distro (ie debian) or whatever latest is available from the developer(s)?
I'm using the latest as noted by BLFS (Beyond Linux From Scratch) if it's there, along with their patches if any (BLFS is a moving target and they change frequently). If BLFS doesn't have it, I use the latest release from the developers; if the latest release is too old I'm using debian patches. I will upload all my sources soon.

Quote:
Are you using a standard set of "config" arguments, whatever the developer proposes or is a case by case approach?
The developer usually don't propose anything; so it's case by case basis most of the time, although usually it's not more complicated than
Code:

./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var --disable-static
See http://jamesbond3142.no-ip.org/wiki/wiki.cgi/FatdogArm/BuildingApplications.

raffy wrote:
Alas, my Mele A1000 looks bricked. It will take some time for the cubieboard or new Mele to arrive, two weeks at most.

Cubieboard will require a different script.bin; Cubieboard2 (A20-based) will require different u-boot, kernel, kernel-modules, and script.bin. So far I don't see support for A20 in linux-sunxi kernel (there isn't any sun7i_defconfig), but I may be mistaken. There is u-boot support for A20 --- for cubieboard2 at least. Not sure about the Mele, it depends on the version you've got. I think the hard part is to get script.bin if you don't already have it.

EDIT: ethtool, evtest and dhcpcd is now in the repository.

01micko

PostPosted: Wed 28 Aug 2013, 06:07    Post subject:  

Ok, so I have qemu up and running.. little help getting it to boot fatdog-arm? (Could be to the project's benefit in the long run Wink )
mavrothal

PostPosted: Wed 28 Aug 2013, 07:11    Post subject:  

01micko wrote:
Ok, so I have qemu up and running.. little help getting it to boot fatdog-arm? (Could be to the project's benefit in the long run Wink )

I was wondering where you are Mick ... Laughing
You must build a kernel that will run on ARM qemu (like here) and then use this kernel to modify the uInitrd and uImage of fd-arm.img (like here or better yet here). The resulting image should boot fd-arm on qemu.

Last edited by mavrothal on Wed 28 Aug 2013, 07:50; edited 1 time in total
nancy reagan

PostPosted: Wed 28 Aug 2013, 07:14    Post subject: a noob comment  

QUOTE from 007
Cubieboard will require a different script.bin; Cubieboard2 (A20-based) will require different u-boot, kernel, kernel-modules, and script.bin. So far I don't see support for A20 in linux-sunxi kernel (there isn't any sun7i_defconfig), but I may be mistaken. There is u-boot support for A20 --- for cubieboard2 at least. Not sure about the Mele, it depends on the version you've got. I think the hard part is to get script.bin if you don't already have it.

Though I hardly understand 1/100th what you tweakers are talking about, I might have some information referring to 007's quote.

Hans de Goede (dutch name, like mine) made a Fedora remix for a10/a20 several boards (amongst which cb2 mele A100's etc.; what struck me that I see little talk about his work )

http://www.cnx-software.com/2013/07/22/fedora-19-arm-remix-r1-release-with-support-for-allwinner-a10-a10s-a13-and-a20-socs/

Forinti, end of post below, stated he got mali running on his cubieboard2.

http://www.cubieforums.com/index.php/topic,520.0.html

Nancy herself ordered a

http://dx.com/p/jesurun-a19-dual-core-android-4-2-2-mini-pc-google-tv-player-w-1gb-ram-4gb-rom-vga-spdif-av-215515

because she thought she could run linux on it right from the start ... not

Recently, through a typo, I bumped upon an Italian page where I read that the Fedora would run on the Jesurun a19

Yesterday I finally managed to copy an image, choosing CB2 (?? hoping to being almost identical to mine), and, of all wonders, off she went ...

Not quite ran through the whole process yet, but there -is- linux life.

Hope this helps, we are related tweakers, non-tweakers.
Page 1 of 5 [72 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: