[resolved] slacko-5.6 / Punctuation for greek

Please post any bugs you have found
panmar

[resolved] slacko-5.6 / Punctuation for greek

#1 Post by panmar »

The punctuation (, . etc) for greek does not work. In puppy-precise works fine.
Ich freue mich, das System ist sehr gut. Für den täglichen Einsatz muss die Punctuation funktionieren. In allen anderen puppies funktioniert sie sehr gut.
(Thinkpad T61)

Thanks
Last edited by panmar on Sun 25 Aug 2013, 17:04, edited 1 time in total.

npierce

#2 Post by npierce »

panmar wrote:In puppy-precise works fine.
Which version of Puppy precise is that? I had the same problem with precise 5.6, 5.7.1, slacko 5.5, and racy 5.2.2.

The attached file solved the problem for me. Download, decompress, and move it to the /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/pc/ directory.

Then run the following two commands:

Code: Select all

rm /var/lib/xkb/server-*.xkm
setxkbmap -layout gr
[EDIT, 2013-Aug-26: I have modified the attached file to add support for dead_psili and dead_dasia to the polytonic variant. See my post for today further down for details.]
Attachments
gr.gz
Corrected Greek XKB symbol file for PC keyboard with psili and dasia support
(1.4 KiB) Downloaded 333 times
Last edited by npierce on Mon 26 Aug 2013, 21:49, edited 2 times in total.

panmar

#3 Post by panmar »

Thank you very mutch, it works correctly !
Ευχα

npierce

#4 Post by npierce »

You're welcome. I'm glad it is working for you.

Yes, punctuation will work in Precise (or any Puppy) without the new gr file, if you use setxkbmap or xkbconfigmanager to select one of the variants of the gr layout, such as "extended", or if you have another layout loaded first. The new gr file allows the basic gr layout to work by itself, like when it is loaded by quickcountry or quicksetup when a new Puppy is initially booted.

While looking further into the gr symbol file, I noticed that forum member paokman noticed that the polytonic variant of the greek keyboard layout doesn't support psile or daseia. Forum member Burunduk suggested a fix that worked fine for paokman. (See: Greek Polytonic Keyboard Layout Bug on Slacko 5.3.3?)

Yes, the gr file distributed in current Puppies maps a couple of dead keys which are apparently useless for Greek. The shifted state of the tenth and eleventh alphabetic keys in the middle row (what would be : (colon) and @ (at) on a UK keyboard or : (colon) and " (quotedbl) on a US keyboard) map to dead_horn and dead_ogonek, respectively. One can only guess why someone thought that a Vietnamese diacritic mark would be useful on a Greek keyboard. My guess is that someone used it because it looked similar to a psile. Likewise, the ogonek looks somewhat similar to a daseia, although it is positioned below the letter, not above.

Anyway, I've not been able to get those dead keys to combine with any of the other keys of the polytonic layout. So I've decided to add the fix suggested by Burunduk to yesterday's fix for punctuation.

The psile and daseia dead keys now work: ἀ