alphaOS [closed]

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Scooby

#661 Post by Scooby »

But theoretically you could run a version based on rolling arch that would work over some time right?

I don't wanna give up the Puppy/Arch/Openbox OS. I really like it.
Even if it means rolling release.

Would it be possible for you to take part in an advisory role regarding
such an endeavor?

Still I prefer if you would reconsider running AlphaOS as a rolling release, as you're the undisputed expert, until such a time the fixed date release problem is solved.

Stay calm, no rash decisions, stay in this project and see whats going to happen.

simargl

#662 Post by simargl »

I made new alphaos version with kernel-3.10.7, rebooted and everything seemed fine, except
my desktop resolution on boot was set to 640x480, instead of 1280x1024 as what it should be
and was in previous version.

Then I increased screen resolution with lxrandr and started thinking what could be cause of that
problem, xorg-server is still the same version, mesa has just made new bugfix release, so
what's left as possible cause was intel driver package xf86-video-intel.

So it turns out that problem was: when Arch developers upgraded xf86-video-intel package
from 2.21.13 to 2.21.14 they enabled option --with-default-accel=sna

https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit ... d68def7e48

I recompiled xf86-video-intel without that option and problem is solved, I don't know what advantage
accel=sna really brings( if any), just thought this example of detective work might be interesting.

anikin

#663 Post by anikin »

So Arch isn't too far behind Ubuntu in adoption of SNA accelaration:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n ... px=MTI3Nzk
Really, why not adopt, when someone has already done all the dirty work of testing:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Testing/IntelSNA :)

Scooby

#664 Post by Scooby »

simargl wrote: my desktop resolution on boot was set to 640x480, instead of 1280x1024 as what it should be and was in previous version.
I had this problem in alphaos9

simargl wrote: I don't know what advantage
accel=sna really brings( if any)
For me, the sna option, relieves the problem of screen-tearing when watching video.
When in sna mode the option TearFree=true can be set.

simargl

#665 Post by simargl »

simargl

#666 Post by simargl »

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php ... 0#p1315900
As @felixonmars said, we are now preparing to set up a new A.R.M service. I've searched but got nothing, so we finally started from scratch.

smil99

#667 Post by smil99 »

Hi simargl,
Thanks for V10 with the various enhancements. Will give it a spin as soon after it is fully uploaded. It is also refreshing to note that frantic efforts are going on to revive ARM although it might end up with a different name.
---------------------
Just checked http://sourceforge.net/projects/alphaos/files/ after about 5 hours but V10 seems not to be uploaded yet. Latest version link points to something different. See below.
Looking for the latest version? Download simple-radio-2013.07.tar.xz (8.3 kB)
Cheers.
Last edited by smil99 on Sat 24 Aug 2013, 06:11, edited 1 time in total.
[b][color=green]Success is never ending. ... Failure is never final![/color][/b]
[size=75][i](Used with kind permission from jejy69)[/i][/size]

simargl

#668 Post by simargl »

Iso is uploading at the moment, should finish in about an hour or less.

Looks like new A.R.M, or how will they call it is moving to China
http://repo-arm.archlinuxcn.org/
http://repo-arm-download.archlinuxcn.org/

Announcer

#669 Post by Announcer »

Good to see you coming out of this crisis unscathed.

I checked out version 9, pretty cool. :D

simargl

#670 Post by simargl »

O.K. thanks! :)

Next crisis could be once when Arch developers drop support for i686 CPUs and focus on
64-bit exclusively, but I think now we can be optimistic about Arch community resolving
problem with A.R.M.

This is example for new users how can you use SFS modules instead of installing packages to your savefile.

Code: Select all

makesfs smplayer flashplugin transmission-gtk gnutls filezilla
in /mnt/home you will have file smplayer_flashplugin_transmission-gtk_gnutls_filezilla.sfs

Then rename it to something shorter and click to load. Why is this my preferred way?
1) reduce disk space usage inside personal file
2) you can use same personal file later with newer versions, just need to make new module with applications you want

Marv

#671 Post by Marv »

Hoorah! Downloading now. My position on the 32b/64b line is currently to use fatdog on the 64b laptop where the 64b Opera is considerably snappier than the 32b one and use alphaOS on the older 32b laptops where Openbox, SpaceFM (without gvfs!), and a newer kernel really help efficiency.

Thanks for continuing with alphaOS,

Edited: Now posting from 10 using my savefile from 9. Perfect boot. All touchpad settings, numlock, acpid and suspend, cpu governor, wireless settings, EVERYTHING preserved. Came up running perfectly on this core 2 duo laptop with iwlwifi and i915 graphics. :D Oh, Control center very clean and nice. I like it!

I make 2 tiny changes to menu, easily done with the menu editor in the control center. Rename Logout to Restart X, and add Control Center just above it.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

simargl

#672 Post by simargl »

That's great Marv. :) Control Center is there to make easier access to other configuration programs without searching for them under the applications menu, and it was easy to make with Glade designer and Vala for callback methods.

James C

#673 Post by James C »

Latest version working well here on an old P4 box.Been quietly following along and testing. Impressive work. :)

[root@alphaos ~]# uname -r
3.10.7-ALPHAOS

[root@alphaos ~]# free
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:       2585324     859904    1725420          0      74004     576504
-/+ buffers/cache:     209396    2375928
Swap:      4198396          0    4198396
Attachments
alphaos-20130825010509.jpg
(42.92 KiB) Downloaded 749 times

simargl

#674 Post by simargl »

I found this interesting tutorial : Cross-compile from Linux to Windows (Vala)
http://www.tarnyko.net/en/?q=node/15

Made some changes on how to install MinGW package, and added Wiki page
http://alphaos.tuxfamily.org/wiki/doku. ... ss-compile

Scooby

#675 Post by Scooby »

Marv wrote: Now posting from 10 using my savefile from 9.
Thansk for this tip, Now I also use savefile form 9 without friction.

smil99

#676 Post by smil99 »

V10 is running flawlessly here. It is so painless making my own sfs combo from arch packages using makesfs :).
Thanks simargl.

simargl

#677 Post by simargl »

Gnome Mplayer is using dark gtk3 theme by default..

Report about this issue
http://code.google.com/p/gnome-mplayer/ ... ail?id=654

To fix it, you can remove gtk-dark.css from gtk3 themes directory.

smil99

#678 Post by smil99 »

simargl wrote:
Gnome Mplayer is using dark gtk3 theme by default ... To fix it, you can remove gtk-dark.css from gtk3 themes directory.
Thanks for the tip. Perhaps, the path to this file must also be clearly stated to guide the common user. That is,

/usr/share/themes/Alpha/gtk-3.0/gtk-dark.css
Cheers.
[b][color=green]Success is never ending. ... Failure is never final![/color][/b]
[size=75][i](Used with kind permission from jejy69)[/i][/size]

simargl

#679 Post by simargl »

Marv

10.0 tinkering

#680 Post by Marv »

Thanks to smil99 :D Printing to networked HP4500 officejet per his guidance on pages 38 through 41 on this thread.

As usual, all my installs are frugal Grub4Dos on SSD or CF cards in IDE adaptors.

With firefox and some locales out, synaptics, cpu governor, acpid, pm-utils, abiword, gnumeric, and a calculator added to a resquashed combined alpha and extras sfs I'm at 99 Mb. The print package is still in the savefile and I run operas (one 32b and one 64b) in the boot partition accessable to all pups on board. Pacman used to add acpid, synaptics, pm-utils, and the calculator. I manually added abiword, gnumeric and the required libraries as the pacman dependencies for them were HUGE.

At idle on this 2.4GHz core 2 duo laptop cpu use is <= 1% and memory use is 57 Mb. Wireless solid, laptop suspends on lid closure, touchpad touches, and cpu governed. Pretty slick! Time to move it to my Pentium M lappies.

Edited: Above installation moved to 1.6GHz Pentium M laptop with ipw2200 wireless, ALPS touchpad, intel i915 video driver, 1024x768 resolution. Only two changes needed. /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-synaptics.conf edited for ALPS edge numbers, speeds, acceleration (expected as I don't use .flsynclient and done in savefile prior to first boot) and for some reason lib80211_crypt_ccmp wasn't loaded for the ipw2200 card though lib80211 was. Needed for wpa keys. Modprobed it, connected, and put it in /etc/rc.conf modules line. Sitting here in opera, roughly 3.5% cpu and 85Mb out of 1Gb used. This will probably be the main pup on these older Pentium M laptops. Fatdog holds that post on the core 2 duo machine.

archly,
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.