Puppy - The Real DOG of an Operating System

Using applications, configuring, problems
flywire

#1 Post by flywire »

Puppy Linux is a fantastic concept but the lack of any consolidated vision is a real problem. With ever increasing numbers of distributions nobody, and I mean absolutely nobody, can know what puppy linux is. Unfortunately the great strength of open source software is very much reduced with Puppy due to the fragmentation of the community. Little wonder I suppose when I raised a request for support with a network connection issue earlier in the year I failed to find anyone with any knowledge in the area. [http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 56&t=86196]

Hopefully a consolidation phase will emerge to prevent the continual fragmentation of the community which can only result in sending Puppy into oblivion.

kooliepup

#2 Post by kooliepup »

Yep.
Puppy is the REAL DOG operating system.
No pretentions with Puppy.

It does what it does very well, with no bells and whistles, and gets the job done quietly and efficiently.

No hype, no BS, no backdoors, no spyware, no phoning home, stable, fast, efficient.
What more could anyone ask for?
Last edited by kooliepup on Sun 25 Aug 2013, 06:06, edited 1 time in total.
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

sunburnt

#3 Post by sunburnt »

There`s about 3 other threads talking more or less about this.

Everyone has their own ideas about what needs to be done.

I`ve been here years now, and I`ve seen so much of this...

kooliepup

#4 Post by kooliepup »

Yep, me too. Since 2006.

Everyone has an opinion,
and an asshole.

The world should change to suit them.

So many other choices out there, but no, too much effort to try new ways.

darkcity

#5 Post by darkcity »

Finding answers to your problems isn't the responsibility of the community here who are all volunteers, not paid support.

I don't think 'consolidation' would benefit Puppy, people work on what interests them as they are all volunteers. Maybe better 'collaboration' or a support foundation.

mikeb

#6 Post by mikeb »

Hmm actually the ONLY reason I hung around puppy was the diversity.

I thought the main release was horrible but then tried one built by a user... I was hooked as it showed me the potential.

The best puppy is the one you make yourself.... mainstream distros are fine if you like being told what to do and how to do it...for many thats no problem...the lack of variation is a comfort I suppose if all things techie are not your bag baby. Some like to maintain their car ..others let the garage do it...some build or mod their car.

Ok the DOG analogy... you get a puppy from the kennels... its got a few doggie problems but if you spend time on him you will end up with a loyal, dependable 'mans best friend'

If puppy was meant to be mainstrean then it would not exist..ubuntu would do the job. Actually thats not exactly fair since the likes of puppy often run where no other distros dare to tread...... many remark how wifi works for them and not in anything else they have tried.

Variety is the spice girl of life...in fact its essential...and its not a competition either...comparing apples to oranges is a futile exercise.

Yes its not perfect..nothing is...some get close though... and the bonus bunny is you don't have to pay to get a system that sucks lol

mike

Karl Godt

#7 Post by Karl Godt »

Such Treads are started already 98thousand times .
That makes the Murga Forum a John's .

Sick of these .

Nowhere else you find a pisspot for people to puke into .

Me as moderator would ban posters like you , dogflywhere!

mikeb

#8 Post by mikeb »

Hmm since 2005 ish I have frequented the linux bars and many distros have come and gone in that time... this ere puppy is still here and has perhaps the liveliest community around ...

Going by Linux 'standards' it should not be here but perhaps life does not work that way. People who live by the rules tend to end up in faceless grey jobs and are quietly forgotton about...

Its a love hate relationship even with regular users but that suggests passion which is the stuff that makes more of an impact than organisation and consolidation.

Its a bummer when you cannot explain why something is so best get over it :D

mike

Q5sys

#9 Post by Q5sys »

Karl Godt wrote:Such Treads are started already 98thousand times .
Agreed.

James C

#10 Post by James C »

Puppy Linux, the official distro, the development model and the community, is what it is.The way things are done reflect Barry K's model and these periodic threads aren't going to have much success in changing anything.

That being said,anyone ,or a group, is free to build a puplet or a fork and to fulfill their vision of the "perfect" OS.

Believe it or not,there are a lot of satisfied Puppy users right now. :)

Q5sys

#11 Post by Q5sys »

James C wrote: That being said,anyone ,or a group, is free to build a puplet or a fork and to fulfill their vision of the "perfect" OS.
I dont think I've seen a single fork or puppy release come out of any of these threads. What's that old line... "Those who cant do... teach." We have alot of people here trying to teach the community how to make a 'proper' or 'good' or 'perfect' puppy version.

FeodorF

#12 Post by FeodorF »

Seems to me that most people being new to 'Puppy Linux' never ever heard the word 'document'.

There are plenty of documents at: '/usr/share/doc'.

About network problems f.e. one could have read 'net_setup.html'.
Even Google will offer a helping hand f,e, 'Linux how to connect to wifi'

It's like: 'I can't read - what do you want me to do now!' :evil:

musher0

#13 Post by musher0 »

Q5sys wrote:
James C wrote: That being said,anyone ,or a group, is free to build a puplet or a fork and to fulfill their vision of the "perfect" OS.
I dont think I've seen a single fork or puppy release come out of any of these threads. What's that old line... "Those who cant do... teach." We have alot of people here trying to teach the community how to make a 'proper' or 'good' or 'perfect' puppy version.
:P The complete saying goes:
Those who can do, do;
those who can't do, teach;
those who can't teach, teach teachers!
:P

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

musher0

#14 Post by musher0 »

http://www.somaliaonline.com/community/ ... ith-Trolls

Will the real troll please stand up?
flywire?! :twisted:
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

kooliepup

#15 Post by kooliepup »

. . troll-la-la . .

cthisbear

#16 Post by cthisbear »

" Will the real troll please stand up? "

You rang?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=an_by5r8EUc

Chris.

azstew

#17 Post by azstew »

If you're having problems with a 170MB OS, get a 3-5 GB OS like Uboo or winslow. They will hold your hand while you wait.

oldyeller

#18 Post by oldyeller »

cthisbear wrote:" Will the real troll please stand up? "

You rang?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=an_by5r8EUc

Chris.
You gotta love you rang :lol: :lol:

Cheers

flywire

#19 Post by flywire »

darkcity wrote:Finding answers to your problems isn't the responsibility of the community here who are all volunteers, not paid support.
Fair point. So how exactly do I get the OS to run a browser on my hardware?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#20 Post by Flash »

What have you tried so far? Every "official" version of Puppy that I know of comes with a browser, usually SeaMonkey.