Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 21 Nov 2014, 12:44
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Carolina - 1.2
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 63 of 102 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, ..., 100, 101, 102 Next
Author Message
inoxidabile


Joined: 13 Sep 2008
Posts: 148

PostPosted: Tue 13 Aug 2013, 03:53    Post_subject:  

Hi Geoffrey, this is just about my problem about Firefox.
The startup became worst, then I "halfway solved" by myself...
I removed all non-essential extension, cleaned the history and changed the settings for no keep it.
After the above changes, I've been able to keep the startup at no more than about 11 seconds and then it's acceptable.
Moreover I checked also Firefox on a more powerful pc and also differets distros and it's not immediate... (it takes about 4 second, however)
Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
Geoffrey


Joined: 30 May 2010
Posts: 1467
Location: Queensland Australia ɹǝpu∩uʍop

PostPosted: Tue 13 Aug 2013, 05:12    Post_subject: Re: the backlight  

Pete22 wrote:
Geoffrey,

I have a problem. How do I get this file in to root/startup if I can't see what I am doing? Embarassed

Pete


Pete with the acpi_osi=Linux setting it should be possible to then try the function keys to turn on the backlight and brightness, that's how I remember doing it,
it's been a while as it was a fix for saluki too, then the backlight script can be placed in startup, I know it's a pain and may not be the same for you,
there is another way but it can be difficult, use a flashlight in a darkened room and shine it on the screen, you should be able to make out the desktop on screen,
I know it sounds weird but it works.

Good luck Wink

_________________
Carolina: Recent Repository Additions
Create strikethrough text HERE
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
Geoffrey


Joined: 30 May 2010
Posts: 1467
Location: Queensland Australia ɹǝpu∩uʍop

PostPosted: Tue 13 Aug 2013, 05:23    Post_subject:  

inoxidabile wrote:
Hi Geoffrey, this is just about my problem about Firefox.
The startup became worst, then I "halfway solved" by myself...
I removed all non-essential extension, cleaned the history and changed the settings for no keep it.
After the above changes, I've been able to keep the startup at no more than about 11 seconds and then it's acceptable.
Moreover I checked also Firefox on a more powerful pc and also differets distros and it's not immediate... (it takes about 4 second, however)
Smile


inoxidabile,
I haven't come across any problems with Firefox starting slowly, for me it only takes a second or two to have it running, then my PC runs a 2.4ghz dual core CPU with 4gigs of ram and the install is a frugal on the hard drive.

_________________
Carolina: Recent Repository Additions
Create strikethrough text HERE
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
p310don

Joined: 19 May 2009
Posts: 732
Location: Brisbane, Australia

PostPosted: Wed 14 Aug 2013, 19:43    Post_subject: USB storage  

Am I missing something with Carolina?

I have been using it most of this week, and I like it.

This morning however, I plugged in my phone in mass storage mode, which shows up in all other puppies as a drive, and nothing.

How do you mount a USB drive in Carolina?

Regular puppies it just shows up as a new drive, Saluki021 a little box pops up to say it has been inserted and the drive mount icon can be used to mount it. Carolina, nothing.

It is seen, I went into hardinfo, and it is there under USB devices.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
Geoffrey


Joined: 30 May 2010
Posts: 1467
Location: Queensland Australia ɹǝpu∩uʍop

PostPosted: Thu 15 Aug 2013, 05:51    Post_subject:  

@p310don
I tried connecting my phone, it works fine, my Samsung needs to be in idle mode to connect.
samsung.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   31.99 KB
 Viewed   1182 Time(s)

samsung.jpg


_________________
Carolina: Recent Repository Additions
Create strikethrough text HERE
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
p310don

Joined: 19 May 2009
Posts: 732
Location: Brisbane, Australia

PostPosted: Thu 15 Aug 2013, 10:13    Post_subject:  

Thanks Geoffrey.

I didn't do anything, but it seems to be working now. Took about 5 mins to show up, but its there. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
jimwg

Joined: 18 Aug 2013
Posts: 121

PostPosted: Sat 24 Aug 2013, 06:56    Post_subject: Wish To Try Carolina Using Precise Retro Save File  

Greetings:

I'd like to try out Carolina with real life usage. Can I install Carolina on a flash drive and copy my Precisesave 1.3fs file with my personal setups to it. Is this workable? Thanks.

Jim in NYC
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
Geoffrey


Joined: 30 May 2010
Posts: 1467
Location: Queensland Australia ɹǝpu∩uʍop

PostPosted: Sat 24 Aug 2013, 18:08    Post_subject: Re: Wish To Try Carolina Using Precise Retro Save File  

jimwg wrote:
I'd like to try out Carolina with real life usage. Can I install Carolina on a flash drive and copy my Precisesave 1.3fs file with my personal setups to it. Is this workable?

Welcome Jim,

Short answer yes, you can run from a flash drive, but you will need to create a new save file, you can keep a copy of Precisesave 1.3fs on the flash drive
for use with Precise if Precise is booted from CD/DVD, I am fairly sure it will look for save files on other devices.

To install to a flash drive boot Carolina from a CD/DVD and then go to the Menu > Control Panel > System > Puppy Universal Installer and follow the prompts.

_________________
Carolina: Recent Repository Additions
Create strikethrough text HERE
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
jimwg

Joined: 18 Aug 2013
Posts: 121

PostPosted: Sun 25 Aug 2013, 20:12    Post_subject: Re: Wish To Try Carolina Using Precise Retro Save File  

Geoffrey wrote:
jimwg wrote:
I'd like to try out Carolina with real life usage. Can I install Carolina on a flash drive and copy my Precisesave 1.3fs file with my personal setups to it. Is this workable?

Welcome Jim,

Short answer yes, you can run from a flash drive, but you will need to create a new save file, you can keep a copy of Precisesave 1.3fs on the flash drive
for use with Precise if Precise is booted from CD/DVD, I am fairly sure it will look for save files on other devices.

To install to a flash drive boot Carolina from a CD/DVD and then go to the Menu > Control Panel > System > Puppy Universal Installer and follow the prompts.


Thanks for swift response!

I was hoping to use my Precise work files that's stored inside my PreciseRetro savepup file in Carolina. Is there any way Carolina can import them or other savepup files?

Thanks!

Jim in NYC
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
Geoffrey


Joined: 30 May 2010
Posts: 1467
Location: Queensland Australia ɹǝpu∩uʍop

PostPosted: Sun 25 Aug 2013, 20:52    Post_subject: Re: Wish To Try Carolina Using Precise Retro Save File  

jimwg wrote:

I was hoping to use my Precise work files that's stored inside my PreciseRetro savepup file in Carolina. Is there any way Carolina can import them or other savepup files?


You can mount the Precise save file using left mouse button with Thunar file manager and copy the contents that you wish to use,
then left mouse button again to un-mount the file, there is no way to import settings or files.

_________________
Carolina: Recent Repository Additions
Create strikethrough text HERE
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
Geoffrey


Joined: 30 May 2010
Posts: 1467
Location: Queensland Australia ɹǝpu∩uʍop

PostPosted: Wed 28 Aug 2013, 19:32    Post_subject:  

Updated repo with a few newer and updated apps, see Recent Repository Additions.
_________________
Carolina: Recent Repository Additions
Create strikethrough text HERE
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
Geoffrey


Joined: 30 May 2010
Posts: 1467
Location: Queensland Australia ɹǝpu∩uʍop

PostPosted: Wed 04 Sep 2013, 21:57    Post_subject: leaving the forum  

Hi everyone, well the time has come, I have come to the realization that I need to move on with my life, due to family issues I need to take a different path and will not have any time for the forum or Puppy in general.

My time here has been enjoyable, I've learnt a lot over the years and wish to thank all for their help.

If anyone would like to help with the Carolina repo you can contact rg66, at the moment it's up to date but does need some tidying up, rg66 know whats needed but he could do with some help with it.

Thanks again and it's been an honor to be member of this forum with such nice people, peace be with you.

Regards,

Geoff

_________________
Carolina: Recent Repository Additions
Create strikethrough text HERE
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
nilsonmorales


Joined: 15 Apr 2011
Posts: 516
Location: El salvador

PostPosted: Wed 04 Sep 2013, 23:23    Post_subject:  

Geoff bad news because you are a good developer but i wish you the best to you and your family, thx for help me and take care.
_________________
My blog


Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message MSNM 
inoxidabile


Joined: 13 Sep 2008
Posts: 148

PostPosted: Wed 04 Sep 2013, 23:44    Post_subject:  

I hope Your decision will not be forever and maybe You will be again with us in the future Smile
Anyway, thank You very much for Your activities and please accept my best wishes for You and Your family. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
Monsie


Joined: 01 Dec 2011
Posts: 633
Location: Kamloops BC Canada

PostPosted: Thu 05 Sep 2013, 03:45    Post_subject: Re: leaving the forum  

Geoffrey wrote:
Hi everyone, well the time has come, I have come to the realization that I need to move on with my life, due to family issues I need to take a different path and will not have any time for the forum or Puppy in general.

My time here has been enjoyable, I've learnt a lot over the years and wish to thank all for their help.

If anyone would like to help with the Carolina repo you can contact rg66, at the moment it's up to date but does need some tidying up, rg66 know whats needed but he could do with some help with it.

Thanks again and it's been an honor to be member of this forum with such nice people, peace be with you.



Regards,

Geoff


Sorry to see you go, Geoffrey... I have certainly appreciated some of your efforts and feedback. Smile

Best wishes for the future,
Monsie

_________________
My username is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 63 of 102 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, ..., 100, 101, 102 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.1043s ][ Queries: 13 (0.0249s) ][ GZIP on ]