HSF/HCF softmodem dotpup packages

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
jcoder24

#41 Post by jcoder24 »

To compile hcf/hsf drivers for puppy2 see link http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=69034#69034

md_jamil

hsf modem driver

#42 Post by md_jamil »

Thanks guys for all that information I finally got my modem to dial with just one final ditch I think. Here is the log information can anybody please help PPP negotiation detected.
--> Starting pppd at Tue Sep 26 20:05:29 2006
--> pid of pppd: 2331
--> Disconnecting at Tue Sep 26 20:05:29 2006
--> The PPP daemon has died: pppd options error (exit code = 2)
--> man pppd explains pppd error codes in more detail.
--> I guess that's it for now, exiting
--> The PPP daemon has died. (exit code = 2)

Another little question somebody said to hack linuxant driver use any hex editor to change so and so value, question is, is there a hex editor in puppy 2.02 or can you do it in console if so how

muggins

#43 Post by muggins »

i don't have a clue why your ppp is dying, but here's a link to g2's hexedit pup:

http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic ... ht=hexedit

tempestuous

Re: hsf modem driver

#44 Post by tempestuous »

md_jamil wrote:--> The PPP daemon has died. (exit code = 2)
I once had a similar problem, and it turned out to be a password authentication issue ... my ISP's technical support department knew nothing about it!
The solution was to modify these 2 files; /etc/ppp/pap-secrets and /etc/ppp/chap-secrets
to include this line of text:

Code: Select all

<myusername> * <mypassword>
Obviously replace <myusername> and <mypassword>, and don't forget the asterisk in the middle.

md_jamil

hsf modem driver

#45 Post by md_jamil »

I started again from a fresh copy installed modem drivers amended secret files as advised, things are changed a bit modem dials pppd stars and connection established counter running but browser not resolving any addresses as if no connection. Read through log files it turned out that ppp connection is not negotiated properly. Modem hangsup after 30 secs.
-> Looks like a login prompt.
--> Sending: test
test
password:
--> Looks like a password prompt.
--> Sending: (password)
Exiting shell, and starting PPP session.
--> Don't know what to do! Starting pppd and hoping for the best.
--> Starting pppd at Mon Oct 2 21:15:42 2006
--> pid of pppd: 4586
--> Disconnecting at Mon Oct 2 21:15:53 2006
--> The PPP daemon has died: A modem hung up the phone (exit code = 16)
--> man pppd explains pppd error codes in more detail.
--> Try again and look into /var/log/messages and the wvdial and pppd man pages for more information.

I did user/sbins/pppsetup hers the log
sh-3.1# pppsetup
You previously used "Modem Wizard" and chose /dev/ttyS0
HOWEVER, /dev/modem has been linked to this, so PLEASE
type "modem" when asked below for the modem device...
/usr/sbin/pppsetup: line 13: /usr/sbin/ppp: No such file or directory
Press ENTER key to continue...
sh-3.1#
Read some where to do a "make install" tried that from /etc/ppp folder with info below
sh-3.1# make install
make: *** No rule to make target `install'. Stop.
sh-3.1#
what to do next, is ppp part of the puppy 2.02 or you have to download it saperately like hsf modem drivers and compile.
Another little question I can print from my HP all in one PSC 1513, by selecting PSC1600 because 1513 is not listed, but what about scanning how to scan a document if at all possible or its not suppoted?

muggins

#46 Post by muggins »

just a few things...have you done ./configure,make. & thenmake install? also i thought, (i'm guessing here), that HSF modems linked /dev/modem with something other than ttyS?, like /dev/ttySHSF0?

from memory, with hsf modems, you have to run hsfconfig.

i'm not sure about you're printer...is it a combined printer/scanner? linuxprinting.org recommmends the hpijs driver for the 1510. they also have a ppd file for the 1510:

http://linuxprinting.org/show_printer.c ... P-PSC_1510

have you tried pakt's cups script?

for scanners puppy has the pupgets sane_backends & xsane gui frontend.

md_jamil

hsf modem driver

#47 Post by md_jamil »

Thanks for help, yes hsf modem is SHSF0 thats all fine and working.
modem is working fine it dials connects script end starts pppd it negotiates a ppp session connection icon appears in bottom to tell you that connectivity is there, but when you start browser nothing resolves like no connection. Look at status tab of connection just an idle connection no bites received just 2 sometimes 4 packets sent and thats all no in out addresses . Look at my previous post I coppied log info. Its just an idle connection. I use gnome ppp dialer which is readly on the desk top. It seems that its not fetching anything from ISP's DHCP server. I assume it works like windows XP these days, you dont have to specify domain proxy or anything just leave everything to auto just supply username and password thats what I am doing. Do I have to fill in domain name?. When Gnome didnt work then I tried all the other dialers with no luck. Please note that I am totally new to Linux environment dont assume that I know anything type complete path for commands. I click console on desktop and type ./configure,make it say no file or directory. I have devx as you know its needed for compiling HSF modem driver went through hsfconfig also worked fine. Modem sounds, dials ok why doesnt it negociate a good ppp session?

md_jamil

hsf modem driver

#48 Post by md_jamil »

Thanks for help, yes hsf modem is SHSF0 thats all fine and working.
modem is working fine it dials connects script end starts pppd it negotiates a ppp session connection icon appears in bottom to tell you that connectivity is there, but when you start browser nothing resolves like no connection. Look at status tab of connection just an idle connection no bites received just 2 sometimes 4 packets sent and thats all no in out addresses . Look at my previous post I coppied log info. Its just an idle connection. I use gnome ppp dialer which is readly on the desk top. It seems that its not fetching anything from ISP's DHCP server. I assume it works like windows XP these days, you dont have to specify domain proxy or anything just leave everything to auto just supply username and password thats what I am doing. Do I have to fill in domain name?. When Gnome didnt work then I tried all the other dialers with no luck. Please note that I am totally new to Linux environment dont assume that I know anything type complete path for commands. I click console on desktop and type ./configure,make it say no file or directory. I have devx as you know its needed for compiling HSF modem driver went through hsfconfig also worked fine. Modem sounds, dials ok why doesnt it negociate a good ppp session?

tempestuous

#49 Post by tempestuous »

Sometimes nameservers need to be manually configured. Find out the IP addresses of your Internet Service Provider's nameservers, they're usually listed on their technical support web page, then set up your /etc/resolv.conf file like this -

nameserver 123.456.789.1
nameserver 123.456.789.2

muggins

#50 Post by muggins »

it dials connects script end starts pppd it negotiates a ppp session connection icon appears in bottom to tell you that connectivity is there, but when you start browser nothing resolves like no connection. Look at status tab of connection just an idle connection no bites received just 2 sometimes 4 packets sent and thats all no in out addresses .
i had similar problem with my ltmodem & pup2.01. as i had no idea what was problem/solution i went back to pupversion that i knew worked for my setup, 1.08. maybe try tempestuous's suggestion of using your isp's dns addresses & see if that does anything.

md_jamil

hsf modem driver

#51 Post by md_jamil »

Well I did right those lines but it didnt help any other solution I know its just a little thing but cant workout, cant go back to previous version my connection is too slow, cant afford to download all that lenthy stuff. Do you always configure ppp before you could connect to internet or it come preconfigured, help pages say its straight forward but it isnt

md_jamil

hsf modem driver

#52 Post by md_jamil »

Have a look at the folloing log, it says ppp-secrets file has world and/or group access, is it the culprit, do we have to put something in ppp-secrets file to resolve this.

Oct 5 15:01:41 (none) daemon.notice pppd[2353]: pppd 2.4.4b1 started by root, uid 0
Oct 5 15:01:41 (none) daemon.info pppd[2353]: Using interface ppp0
Oct 5 15:01:41 (none) daemon.notice pppd[2353]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttySHSF0
Oct 5 15:01:41 (none) daemon.warn pppd[2353]: Warning - secret file /etc/ppp/pap-secrets has world and/or group access
Oct 5 15:01:48 (none) daemon.warn pppd[2353]: Warning - secret file /etc/ppp/pap-secrets has world and/or group access
Oct 5 15:01:48 (none) daemon.warn pppd[2353]: Warning - secret file /etc/ppp/pap-secrets has world and/or group access
Oct 5 15:01:51 (none) daemon.info pppd[2353]: Hangup (SIGHUP)
Oct 5 15:01:51 (none) daemon.notice pppd[2353]: Modem hangup
Oct 5 15:01:51 (none) daemon.notice pppd[2353]: Connection terminated.
Oct 5 15:01:51 (none) daemon.info pppd[2353]: Exit.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#53 Post by GuestToo »

in a console, type:

chmod 600 /etc/ppp/chap-secrets

or right click the file in Rox to set the properties

this should not affect whether you are connected or not

one version of Puppy (202?), i couldn't connect until after the firewall was configured

md_jamil

hsf modem driver

#54 Post by md_jamil »

I am using puppy 2.02 chmod 600 did help still same situation nothing changed. Just to give you a clue when I connect from XP modem speaker makes noise for longer period as if renegotiating connection speed and connects at 24K instead of 56k because I have a slow telephone line and I know that, thats normal but when I connect from puppy modem make noise for less duration does it tell you guys anything. Is it to do something with modem initialization string ? just guessing

md_jamil

hsf modem driver

#55 Post by md_jamil »

sorry there is a typing mistake in my previous post, chmod did not help it is still same condition modem hangsup line exit code 16.

md_jamil

hsf modem driver

#56 Post by md_jamil »

is this the end no one know what to do /var/log/messages says pap-secrets has world and/or group access when I look at ppp-secrets its just a blank document. What lines to put in it to resolve this any body knows?putting username*password didnt help.

md_jamil

hsf modem driver

#57 Post by md_jamil »

is this the end no one know what to do /var/log/messages says pap-secrets has world and/or group access when I look at ppp-secrets its just a blank document. What lines to put in it to resolve this any body knows?putting username*password didnt help.

jcoder24

#58 Post by jcoder24 »

Sometimes the hex-ed version gives errors similar to what u are experiencing. If you using that one try recompiling it without the hex-edit.

md_jamil

hsf modem driver

#59 Post by md_jamil »

Thanks for help I am new to Linux world, didnt really understand what you said, you mean HSF driver or the pap-secret file. If it is HSF driver where to find the otherwise one I only know this one in fact I did hack the driver with hex edit but it wasnt working in it raw form(14400) anyway.

jcoder24

#60 Post by jcoder24 »

md_jamil wrote:you mean HSF driver or the pap-secret file
I meant the hsf driver.

However, I just remembered that some dialers don't work for some users/modems. Can you indicate which program are you using to connect? I'd recommend gkdial, that's has been the most reliable. Also try each of the options pap, chap and chat and see if any works.