Use LILO (from another distro) to boot Puppy w/o CD

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
Pizzasgood

Use LILO (from another distro) to boot Puppy w/o CD

#1 Post by Pizzasgood »

Using LILO (from another distro) to boot Puppy w/o CD
a.k.a. "Frugal Install," "Poor Man's Install," or "Option 1 install" using Lilo

To start off, I want to clarify that I am reffering to an "option 1" Puppy installation, as in it still uses pup001 OR pup_save.3fs. This is NOT for an "option 2" installation, which is Puppy installed to a partition.

This also assumes you have a working Lilo installation on a distro on your machine. Mine is in Vector Linux. You can either boot that distro and folow these instructions, or use chroot. For example, I have Vector mounted at /mnt/vector, so I can type "chroot /mnt/vector" and my terminal will switch to Vector's terminal with access to all Vector's software. Keep in mind you may encounter errors if you use chroot (though it works for me).

These instructions will work for Puppy 1 and Puppy 2. I wrote it for 2, but for 1 you just replace 'initrd.gz' with 'image.gz', 'pup_xxx.sfs' with 'usr_cram.fs', and 'pup_save.3fs' with 'pupxxx'.

pup_xxx.sfs, initrd.gz, and vmlinuz can all be found in the Puppy iso or on the cd. Mount the cd using MUT to access them. To get them from the iso, open a terminal and type "mount ISONAMEHERE /mnt/data -o loop" then go to /mnt/data to find the files. Make sure to unmount it with the command "umount /mnt/data".

Step 1
First, you need to choose which partition to use with the pup_save.3fs file. You need to put pup_xxx.sfs (pup_202.sfs for Puppy 2.02) there. If you already have a pup_save.3fs file or devx_xxx.sfs file that you want to use, they go there too. They all neet to be at the top of that partition.

Step 2
Next, go to the /boot/ directory of the distro that has Lilo. Make a directory called "puppy" there. Inside, place vmlinuz and initrd.gz.

Step 3
Okay, now open /ect/lilo.conf in that same distro. Add these lines to it.

Code: Select all

# Puppy Linux
image = /boot/puppy/vmlinuz
    root = /dev/ram0
    label = PuppyLinux
    initrd = /boot/puppy/initrd.gz 
    read-only
If you want to add those parameters that Puppy mentions when it boots, do it like this:

# Puppy Linux
    root = /dev/ram0
    label = Puppy
    append = "pfix=ram"
    read-only
You can also add a password to your Puppy, or any other features that Lilo supports. Use "man lilo.conf" in the distro with Lilo to check it. That file can also be found on the internet.
If Lilo is set to automatically load another distro without allowing you to choose, you might want to change that. See "man lilo.conf" for more info. That file can also be found on the internet. Just type "man lilo.conf" into Google.

Step 4
Next, run the command "lilo" from the distro with Lilo. Assuming there are no errors, you are done. :) Your computer will now be able to boot Puppy without a cd. To upgrade, repeat steps 1, 2, and 4. You do not need to repeat step 3.

I hope that all works. If not, let me know and I'll see what I can do. I am by no means a Lilo master, but I'll try my best :wink:
Last edited by Pizzasgood on Thu 17 Aug 2006, 15:39, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Wolfen

#2 Post by Wolfen »

Is there a way to install LILO in Puppy, meaning you are not depending on another Linux distro?
And is there a way to boot Windows from LILO, say dualbooting Puppy and Windows?

PS: Great that you have got LILO working, at least for your computer :wink:
Wolfen

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

Wolfen wrote:Is there a way to install LILO in Puppy, meaning you are not depending on another Linux distro?

And is there a way to boot Windows from LILO, say dualbooting Puppy and Windows?
<>
I think what you want is to install LILO to the boot sector of the hard drive, replacing the Windows boot program. Then configure the LILO boot menu so that you can choose either Windows or Linux (if you have them both on the computer) when you boot.

If it doesn't work you can put the Windows boot program back by booting your Windows installation disk and running "fixmbr" and all will be as it was before.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

Pizzasgood

#4 Post by Pizzasgood »

Other than a failed attempt over the summer to manually transfer Lilo from Vector into Puppy file by file (as I didn't have access to a package), I haven't tried it. Other than this summer, I didn't need it. Maybe I'll make time to try it out the right way over the next couple days.

Mine is configured to boot Windows, Puppy, Ram-Puppy, and Vector. The lilo.conf looks like this:

# Partition 1 : DOS/Windows 
other = /dev/sda1
    label = Windows
    table = /dev/sda

# Partition 2: Puppy Linux
    root = /dev/ram0
    label = Puppy
    #append = "acpi=off  PFILE=no"
	 password = ************
    read-only

# Partition 3: Ram-Puppy
    root = /dev/ram0
    label = RamPuppy
    append = "pfix=ram"
	 password = ************
    read-only

# Partition 4: Linux GUI mode
image = /boot/vmlinuz
    root = /dev/sda6
    label = Vector
    append = ""
    read-only
That's not the best way to do the password-protection, but I'm lazy and the only people it's stopping are people who wouldn't know how to beat it anyway.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

dani

#5 Post by dani »

Pizzasgood, I followed exactly your instructions, but when I want to install lilo, I get the following error with the puppylinux entry:

Fatal: Setup length exceeds 31 maximum; kernel setup will overwrite boot loader
any idea what might be wrong?

Pizzasgood

#6 Post by Pizzasgood »

Maybe the "label" entry is too long. Make sure it's concise. Try just "Puppy" to test it, just to be sure it's small enough.

Otherwise I don't know off the top of my head. If shortening it doesn't work, post your entry and we can examine it.

Wolfen

#7 Post by Wolfen »

How do I install LILO, or where to get the the install-file?
Wolfen

Pizzasgood

#8 Post by Pizzasgood »

I don't know. Installing it is still on my to-do list. I'm going to jam it in sometime between now and October, because if I get it working I may include it with Pizzapup.

If you search the net a bit, you should find some packages. I don't know if it can work with Puppy or not. It should, but it may need some libraries.

Probably you'd have to run "unrpm" or "undeb" or "tar -zxf" to unpack it, then either compile it or move the files to the correct places, depending on if it's a source or binary.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#9 Post by Flash »

The easiest way I found to install LILO is with a Mandrake 9 or 10 installation CD. The real advantage of installing LILO that way is that you can use the GUI LILO configuration program in Mandrake - which requires a (minimal) installation of Mandrake.

noip

#10 Post by noip »

gamfa

#11 Post by gamfa »

If you load a complete lilo package, say from slackware, It includes a config utility called liloconfig, It's installed in /sbin.
"Don't tell my cattle that I have leather seats in my truck"

"I don't let my schooling get in the way of my education"...Mark Twain

sisifito

#12 Post by sisifito »

why puppy dont load my pup_save.sf3 ? in my hard dish i put all files needed pup_save.3fs devxxx.sfs , but puppy dont load my save file and when i shutdown de pc , it save all changes in my fat32 partition , but i have a ext3 partition

Pizzasgood

#13 Post by Pizzasgood »

Are pup_xxx.sfs and pup_save.sfs in the same place? Is the partition a big number? I have a problem with /dev/sda9 because Puppy goes only to /dev/sda8 by default.

Also, if you have any Puppy files (pup_save.3fs, etc.) in the fat partition, that may throw off Puppy's search. Make sure the puppy files on the ext3 partition are the only puppy files.

sisifito

#14 Post by sisifito »

i had two pup_save.3fs , 1 in my fat partition an another in my ext3 partition , then i remove the pup_save in my fat part and puppy load the save file from the ext3 partition , thanks pizza :lol:

Gn2

#15 Post by Gn2 »

http://freshmeat.net/projects/lilo/
http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&ie=UT ... on&spell=1

May I suggest: Get lilo source - then follow offical documentation for use;

Once the configuration is edited to satisfaction - any optional parameters etc.;
Install it to device of choice - that can be floppy {/dev/fd0)

Suggestion - backup MBR/fstab
fdisk -l > my partitions_date_xx.txt
less /etc/lilo.conf >my_boot_loader.txt
less /etc/fstab >my drives.txt
/sbin/lilo -v4 -t >what _if.txt (("test & query")
Off -topic - if wish to ask about any Puppy Cfgs - NOT how to implement them -
Where should this be posted:

Appologies for off-topic & inappropriate placement of errata
Last edited by Gn2 on Tue 24 Oct 2006, 04:50, edited 1 time in total.

Pizzasgood

#16 Post by Pizzasgood »

Off -topic - if wish to ask about any Puppy Cfgs - NOT how to implement them -
I.E. initrd.gz ~ or why /mnt was chosen for swap - where should this be posted ?
Probably the "users" section.

I actually haven't gotten around to installing Lilo in Puppy yet. The only reason I use it is because it's already there from my Vector install. I don't need Vector anymore though, so when I repartition my drive in the near future I'll have to install something. I plan to use Grub since it comes with Puppy. If I wind up not liking it I'll take a whack at Lilo.

Another thing to watch out for when chrooting is mounted (or unmounted) filesystems. Just because you have /dev/hdb2 mounted in Puppy doesn't mean it is in whatever you're chrooting into. Unless you mount it to the appropriate location in that distro from Puppy or chroot, that is.

gaston

Using lilo to boot Puppy w/oCD

#17 Post by gaston »

See the next post.

Merci.
Last edited by gaston on Sat 09 Dec 2006, 23:27, edited 1 time in total.

gaston

Puppy lilo boot

#18 Post by gaston »

Using LILO (from another distro) to boot Puppy w/o CD

"Frugal Install," "Poor Man's Install," or "Option 1 install" using Lilo
These instructions will work for Puppy 1 and Puppy 2. I wrote it for 2, but for 1 you just replace 'initrd.gz' with 'image.gz', 'pup_xxx.sfs' with 'usr_cram.fs', and 'pup_save.3fs' with 'pupxxx'.

Step 1
First, you need to choose which partition to use with the pup_save.3fs file. You need to put pup_xxx.sfs (pup_202.sfs for Puppy 2.02) there. If you already have a pup_save.3fs file or devx_xxx.sfs file that you want to use, they go there too. They all neet to be at the top of that partition.

Does Puppy 1 and Puppy 2 mean frugal and full partition installation?
How do we place the files at the top of the partition?

Pizzasgood

#19 Post by Pizzasgood »

"Frugal Install," "Poor Man's Install," or "Option 1 install"
That part means for the "Frugal Install". I haven't done a full hd install, so I'm not sure how that would work. That's why my instructions are just for a frugal install.

Puppy 1 means Puppy 1.x.x, which would be like Puppy 1.0.5 or Puppy 1.0.8.
Puppy 2 means Puppy 2.xx, which would be like Puppy 2.02 or Puppy 2.11.

If you already have a save-file, you can just boot Puppy and go to /mnt/home to access the top level of the partition. Otherwise, you would boot from the live-cd and mount the harddrive with MUT (the icon that says "drives") or Pmount, which are also in the start menu under "utilities". Pmount should be in nearly all versions of Puppy, but MUT might not be in very old Puppies.

When MUT mounts a drive, it pops up a window with the top level in it. I think Pmount does too, but I'm not sure.

The files you need are on the cd. In MUT or Pmount, mount your cd. Then you can drag the files to the other window.

If you can't use a cd, it's more complicated. There are several threads about that already.

If you need more specific help, you'll need to tell me what version you want to install, and how you want to install it. Also, I apologize if any of this is unclear. It's past my bed time :wink:

gaston

Use LILO to boot Puppy w/o CD

#20 Post by gaston »

Pizzasgood wrote:
"Frugal Install," "Poor Man's Install," or "Option 1 install"
That part means for the "Frugal Install". I haven't done a full hd install, so I'm not sure how that would work. That's why my instructions are just for a frugal install.

Puppy 1 means Puppy 1.x.x, which would be like Puppy 1.0.5 or Puppy 1.0.8.
Puppy 2 means Puppy 2.xx, which would be like Puppy 2.02 or Puppy 2.11.

If you already have a save-file, you can just boot Puppy and go to /mnt/home to access the top level of the partition. Otherwise, you would boot from the live-cd and mount the harddrive with MUT (the icon that says "drives") or Pmount, which are also in the start menu under "utilities". Pmount should be in nearly all versions of Puppy, but MUT might not be in very old Puppies.

When MUT mounts a drive, it pops up a window with the top level in it. I think Pmount does too, but I'm not sure.

The files you need are on the cd. In MUT or Pmount, mount your cd. Then you can drag the files to the other window.

If you can't use a cd, it's more complicated. There are several threads about that already.

If you need more specific help, you'll need to tell me what version you want to install, and how you want to install it. Also, I apologize if any of this is unclear. It's past my bed time :wink: