Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 20 Dec 2014, 18:29
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Lighthouse 64 602 Beta2 with GIMP-2.8.4 (6-29-2013)
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 17 of 40 [594 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, ..., 38, 39, 40 Next
Author Message
Q5sys


Joined: 11 Dec 2008
Posts: 1074

PostPosted: Tue 13 Aug 2013, 23:37    Post subject:  

edoc wrote:
Thanks for the reminder that it's there & how it works - I looked at it once and it seemed too much like expressionistic-art to me ... Wink

Anyhow, why would there be a bazillion .png files in root/.thumbnails/normal/ after I have just rebooted?

Why would ATI-13.4-HD567-k3.8.7-L64-1.pet be in root/.cache/lhp-update/ ?

And the other biggie: root/.cache/lhp-update/OpenJRE-7.40-IcedTea-x86_64-2.pet

Everything else is relatively small.

WDYT?


if its in /root/ its not deleted after reboot. thats EVERY thumbnail the system has created while browsing folders. Just delete the folder 'normal' and they'll go away. the system will re-create thumbnails when it needs to.
the pet files in /root/.cache/ you can move elsewhere in case you need them again.
I think its a backup for anything you've installed via the PPM.

_________________



Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Sylvander

Joined: 15 Dec 2008
Posts: 3553
Location: West Lothian, Scotland, UK

PostPosted: Wed 14 Aug 2013, 09:03    Post subject:  

gcmartin wrote:
I have alway "started" with the Mariner ISO.

1. I made a new DVD+RW using "Lighthouse-6.02.B2_Mariner.iso".
Everything went well during the 1st boot, 1st shutdown, save, 2nd boot into 2nd session, 2nd shutdown with save.
I liked Mariner.
WINE worked just fine, and it seemed to have all I could need [except not Xfe].

2. At 3rd boot...
It took a looong time looking for the main file & session file[s].
Eventually it proceeded, but immediately warned of "Kernel panic", and halted at a flashing underscore.

Any ideas ? Confused
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
edoc


Joined: 07 Aug 2005
Posts: 4449
Location: Southeast Georgia, USA

PostPosted: Wed 14 Aug 2013, 10:42    Post subject:  

Q5sys wrote:

if its in /root/ its not deleted after reboot. thats EVERY thumbnail the system has created while browsing folders. Just delete the folder 'normal' and they'll go away. the system will re-create thumbnails when it needs to.
the pet files in /root/.cache/ you can move elsewhere in case you need them again.
I think its a backup for anything you've installed via the PPM.


Excellent info, thanks!

Is there any chance of adding an optional script to either put those outside of the Savefile when they are created (or symlink to them outside of the Savefile) - or at least to autodelete them at reboot?

The same for the PPM install files - if they are copied there for the sake of uninstall perhaps a symlink to a physical location outside of the Savefile will work?

Since I don't understand the reasons for any of them being left there I am making wild guesses as to what might work to displace or remove them ...

_________________
Thanks! David
Home page: http://nevils-station.com
Don't google Search! http://duckduckgo.com
Puppy Carolina 1.3 & Lighthouse64-b602
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
tazoc


Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 1157
Location: Lower Columbia Basin WA US

PostPosted: Thu 15 Aug 2013, 17:58    Post subject:  

edoc wrote:
Is there any chance of adding an optional script to either put those outside of the Savefile when they are created (or symlink to them outside of the Savefile) - or at least to autodelete them at reboot?
Most thumbnails and browser cache files are removed at X startup. So close all windows and choose 'Restart X' from the Shutdown menu. If for some reason you need to keep X running, close all browser windows, click File icon (ROX-Filer) and click on etc -> rc.d -> pup-dip
(pup-dip is the script that empties the browser cache and thumbnail files.)
Quote:
The same for the PPM install files - if they are copied there for the sake of uninstall perhaps a symlink to a physical location outside of the Savefile will work?

Since I don't understand the reasons for any of them being left there I am making wild guesses as to what might work to displace or remove them ...
The Pet files in /root/.cache/lhp-update were downloaded when installed in Lighthouse Update. The Update GUI allows browsing to, or deleting the Update cache. So click the Update icon on the desktop, then tick the checkbox in front of 'clear_cache' (usually is the 4th line) and click OK. If 'clear_cache' isn't there, then the cache is empty.
_________________
lhpup.org Lighthouse 64 6.02
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
edoc


Joined: 07 Aug 2005
Posts: 4449
Location: Southeast Georgia, USA

PostPosted: Thu 15 Aug 2013, 18:27    Post subject:  

Thanks!
_________________
Thanks! David
Home page: http://nevils-station.com
Don't google Search! http://duckduckgo.com
Puppy Carolina 1.3 & Lighthouse64-b602
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
edoc


Joined: 07 Aug 2005
Posts: 4449
Location: Southeast Georgia, USA

PostPosted: Sat 17 Aug 2013, 13:48    Post subject: Firefox 23.01?  

Firefox is offering a recommended update to 23.01 - I currently have 22.0

Their update did not work, although Internet access is otherwise working fine, so I'm not sure how to best proceed ... the Check for Updates choice merely takes me to a generic Firefox page with no automated Update option.

OR, should I do nothing as this update might create problems for LH64-602b?

_________________
Thanks! David
Home page: http://nevils-station.com
Don't google Search! http://duckduckgo.com
Puppy Carolina 1.3 & Lighthouse64-b602
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
tazoc


Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 1157
Location: Lower Columbia Basin WA US

PostPosted: Sat 17 Aug 2013, 20:02    Post subject: Re: Firefox 23.01?  

edoc wrote:
Firefox is offering a recommended update to 23.01 - I currently have 22.0
Hi David,
There is a workaround for updating Firefox in Lighthouse, found at menu -> Internet -> Firefox Update Help. It will (temporarily) start FF as root to enable the built-in updater. I used it to update to 23.01 and everything seems OK.

_________________
lhpup.org Lighthouse 64 6.02
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
edoc


Joined: 07 Aug 2005
Posts: 4449
Location: Southeast Georgia, USA

PostPosted: Sat 17 Aug 2013, 21:48    Post subject: Re: Firefox 23.01?  

tazoc wrote:
edoc wrote:
Firefox is offering a recommended update to 23.01 - I currently have 22.0
Hi David,
There is a workaround for updating Firefox in Lighthouse, found at menu -> Internet -> Firefox Update Help. It will (temporarily) start FF as root to enable the built-in updater. I used it to update to 23.01 and everything seems OK.


Thanks!

BTW1: It updated fine ... after I increased my personal storage a little.

BTW2: It changed something in the defaults which has impacted Seamonkey - the font type and size has changed - larger and more bold. So far it helps me to read it without glasses so I am not complaining ... Rolling Eyes

_________________
Thanks! David
Home page: http://nevils-station.com
Don't google Search! http://duckduckgo.com
Puppy Carolina 1.3 & Lighthouse64-b602
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Senza Vega

Joined: 13 Aug 2013
Posts: 46

PostPosted: Sun 18 Aug 2013, 14:11    Post subject:  very very slow boot
Subject description: 7 minutes
 

Hello, first I apologize for my very bad English language.
Because of this, I can't document myself strongly, so I can't "read the F. manual". Wink
I post here because I have the following problem: very slow start: more than 7 minutes,
which :
3 minutes from the copy in ram
and
3 minutes to load xwindows.
Otherwise, the distribution runs very well when loaded with KDE frugal installation.
The PC is a Asus Netbook F201E with 4Gb ram.
I hope you'll want help me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
edoc


Joined: 07 Aug 2005
Posts: 4449
Location: Southeast Georgia, USA

PostPosted: Sun 18 Aug 2013, 16:40    Post subject: Simple ADB Backup on LH64-602b?  

Is there any chance that the Simple ADB Backup for Android phones would work with LH64-602b or will it only work with a 32-bit OS like Raring 3.9.9.2?

http://lifehacker.com/5976036/simple-adb-backup-backs-up-your-android-phone-from-the-desktop-no-root-required

I need it so that I can make a proper backup of my phone to local storage and I want to include files that normally require rooting the phone to access. (I transferred my wife's phone book via Bluetooth to my Galaxy Nexus phone but cannot get at the location where it was downloaded.)

Thanks!

_________________
Thanks! David
Home page: http://nevils-station.com
Don't google Search! http://duckduckgo.com
Puppy Carolina 1.3 & Lighthouse64-b602
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
tazoc


Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 1157
Location: Lower Columbia Basin WA US

PostPosted: Mon 19 Aug 2013, 11:54    Post subject: Multisession DVD; KDE boots slowly from USB key; ADB backup  

Sylvander wrote:
gcmartin wrote:
I have alway "started" with the Mariner ISO.

1. I made a new DVD+RW using "Lighthouse-6.02.B2_Mariner.iso".
Everything went well during the 1st boot, 1st shutdown, save, 2nd boot into 2nd session, 2nd shutdown with save.
I liked Mariner.
WINE worked just fine, and it seemed to have all I could need [except not Xfe].

2. At 3rd boot...
It took a looong time looking for the main file & session file[s].
Eventually it proceeded, but immediately warned of "Kernel panic", and halted at a flashing underscore.

Any ideas ? Confused
If this is a desktop machine and you're saving sessions back to the DVD, be sure to choose Option 4 - 'Lighthouse64 with multisession support' on the 2nd and all succeeding boots. It should not be searching for files elsewhere as that option has 'pmedia=cd' which confines the search to optical media.

If this is a notebook or laptop, the scripts indicate multisession CD/DVD mode does not work.

Senza Vega wrote:
I have the following problem: very slow start: more than 7 minutes,
which :
3 minutes from the copy in ram
and
3 minutes to load xwindows.
Otherwise, the distribution runs very well when loaded with KDE frugal installation.
The PC is a Asus Netbook F201E with 4Gb ram.
I hope you'll want help me.
Welcome and thanks for your feedback. Yes, booting KDE entirely from USB key or optical media is very slow. What I would do is to copy all of the .sfs files to hard disk, into the same location as your L64save file, including the main file, L64-602.sfs and all SFS add-ons, especially 5_KDE-4.6.5-x86_64-H.sfs. Then they should load much faster during boot up and at startup of X.

edoc wrote:
Is there any chance that the Simple ADB Backup for Android phones would work with LH64-602b or will it only work with a 32-bit OS like Raring 3.9.9.2?

http://lifehacker.com/5976036/simple-adb-backup-backs-up-your-android-phone-from-the-desktop-no-root-required
I tried starting the 32-bit only 'HoloBackupLinux' as indicated by the ADB backup web page, after making it executable, but received an error 'Cannot open self' even though I have the Wine and 32-bit libs SFS loaded.

However, clicking on the Windows executable 'HoloBackup.exe' seems to open OK, though I do not have an Android 4.0+ phone to test with. It requires that the Wine-1.5.28-i486_602.sfs be loaded first with BootManager (Setup menu) or sfs_load on-the-fly. Keep in mind that ADB backup is a Beta release and can only restore backups to the same phone the backup was created from.

_________________
lhpup.org Lighthouse 64 6.02
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Senza Vega

Joined: 13 Aug 2013
Posts: 46

PostPosted: Mon 19 Aug 2013, 12:42    Post subject: Re: Multisession DVD; KDE boots slowly from USB key; ADB backup  

tazoc wrote:
Senza Vega wrote:
I have the following problem: very slow start: more than 7 minutes,
which :
3 minutes from the copy in ram
and
3 minutes to load xwindows.
Otherwise, the distribution runs very well when loaded with KDE frugal installation.
The PC is a Asus Netbook F201E with 4Gb ram.
I hope you'll want help me.
Welcome and thanks for your feedback. Yes, booting KDE entirely from USB key or optical media is very slow. What I would do is to copy all of the .sfs files to hard disk, into the same location as your L64save file, including the main file, L64-602.sfs and all SFS add-ons, especially 5_KDE-4.6.5-x86_64-H.sfs. Then they should load much faster during boot up and at startup of X.


Thanks Tazoc for your answer.
nothing is on my hard disk (it's a new notebook with W8 that I can't touch : warranty).
All is on the USB key : I don't undestand

another question, (I would abuse) : when I launch the script :
Code:
fix-usb.sh /dev/sdc

the answer is :
Code:
Partition 3 of /dev/sdc (/dev/sdc3) is not empty.
Aborting.

perhaps an idea ?

Thanks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Sylvander

Joined: 15 Dec 2008
Posts: 3553
Location: West Lothian, Scotland, UK

PostPosted: Mon 19 Aug 2013, 14:20    Post subject: Re: Multisession DVD; KDE boots slowly from USB key; ADB backup  

1.
tazoc wrote:
If this is a desktop machine and you're saving sessions back to the DVD, be sure to choose Option 4 - 'Lighthouse64 with multisession support' on the 2nd and all succeeding boots.

a. It IS a desktop machine.

b. I was trying to save the sessions back to the DVD; and those saves apparently succeeded.

c. I most certainly did: "choose Option 4 - 'Lighthouse64 with multisession support' on the 2nd and all succeeding boots".

2. Must go try that DVD once again to see if it's still behaving the same as before.
How should I tell it to not use the 2nd save?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
edoc


Joined: 07 Aug 2005
Posts: 4449
Location: Southeast Georgia, USA

PostPosted: Mon 19 Aug 2013, 14:22    Post subject: Re: Multisession DVD; KDE boots slowly from USB key; ADB backup  

tazoc wrote:

edoc wrote:
Is there any chance that the Simple ADB Backup for Android phones would work with LH64-602b or will it only work with a 32-bit OS like Raring 3.9.9.2?

http://lifehacker.com/5976036/simple-adb-backup-backs-up-your-android-phone-from-the-desktop-no-root-required
I tried starting the 32-bit only 'HoloBackupLinux' as indicated by the ADB backup web page, after making it executable, but received an error 'Cannot open self' even though I have the Wine and 32-bit libs SFS loaded.

However, clicking on the Windows executable 'HoloBackup.exe' seems to open OK, though I do not have an Android 4.0+ phone to test with. It requires that the Wine-1.5.28-i486_602.sfs be loaded first with BootManager (Setup menu) or sfs_load on-the-fly. Keep in mind that ADB backup is a Beta release and can only restore backups to the same phone the backup was created from.


I found these helpful sites, in case someone else is looking at this app:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=36499906
http://www.howtogeek.com/125375/how-to-create-a-full-android-phone-or-tablet-backup-without-rooting-or-unlocking-your-device/

It turns out that it NextApp WebSharing works better for my purposes - I just need to buy the $2.99 pro version - but was trying not to give my credit card number to google wallet as it's not really secure.

Thanks!

_________________
Thanks! David
Home page: http://nevils-station.com
Don't google Search! http://duckduckgo.com
Puppy Carolina 1.3 & Lighthouse64-b602

Last edited by edoc on Mon 19 Aug 2013, 14:41; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
edoc


Joined: 07 Aug 2005
Posts: 4449
Location: Southeast Georgia, USA

PostPosted: Mon 19 Aug 2013, 14:25    Post subject: qmake?  

Ooops ... needed to post this to the Raring thread ...
_________________
Thanks! David
Home page: http://nevils-station.com
Don't google Search! http://duckduckgo.com
Puppy Carolina 1.3 & Lighthouse64-b602
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 17 of 40 [594 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, ..., 38, 39, 40 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.1142s ][ Queries: 13 (0.0111s) ][ GZIP on ]