Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 19 Sep 2014, 04:11
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
X-precise-2.4 Final
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 3 of 24 [348 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ..., 22, 23, 24 Next
yr1945

PostPosted: Sat 17 Aug 2013, 17:07    Post subject:  

very good work... I like it very much... you may want to take a look at the suspend function... suspend does not work on my 7 yr old toshiba laptop... i removed shutdown-gui and added acpitool and pupshutdown... now, it suspends just fine... THANK YOU for x-precise...
pchan

PostPosted: Sun 18 Aug 2013, 06:37    Post subject:  

rg66 wrote:

What features from lina were you looking for? Geoffrey has made an xmenumaker for X-precise, you can download it here: http://carolina-linux.com/rg66/X-precise/pet_packages-X-precise/xmenumaker-3.1.0-Xprecise.pet

I was going to add the updated repo package lists to the sfs but completely forgot.

Thank you very much rg66. Yes, I was looking for the xmenumaker.

Thanks for x-precise 2. Trying to like it as much as I like carolina. It is working well in my acer intel atom netbook so far. Now i am trying to get my atheros bluetooth to work. i have never found any puppy that works well with my bluetooth.

I tried downloading and installing blueman and its dependencies from pakage manager but my netbook bluetooth just refuse to work.

I really prefer puppy than something like ubuntu.
okokoook

PostPosted: Sun 18 Aug 2013, 09:25    Post subject:  

i just downloaded the x-precise and had it running on my asus. everything seems working, and it is very impressive to have precise puppy in carolina style.

i am a fan of Saluki and Carolina puppy. it is really sad to see both Saluki and Carolina stop development. i went to check the precise puppy repository and i found out that some apps like wine, conky, libreoffice seem to be missing on the list. i was wondering can we just simply grab all the goodies from Carolina repository to have them running in x-precise?

i am aware that i could download the apps from precise puppy ppm. but the truth is that most of time when i try to download a 5MB app, i also need to download 50 MB dependency for it. to be honest this is not that desirable.

i just have a minor question regarding the thunar in x-precise. it seems that we have the pup-volume monitor installed in the x-precise. but i did not see the little triangle button that used to appear next to the partition for unmount purpose in the left lane of thunar. we have that in x-precise 1.0, is this a new feature in x-precise 2.0 ?

thank you for everything, i really like it!!!

best regards

michael
yr1945

PostPosted: Sun 18 Aug 2013, 10:19    Post subject:  

my 2 cents worth... I like very few apps... eg, I don't ever use "official" puppies because they are crammed with everything... the fewer apps the better... keep the iso minimal... and, let others add to it... Thank You...
rg66

PostPosted: Sun 18 Aug 2013, 14:21    Post subject:  

yr1945 wrote:
very good work... I like it very much... you may want to take a look at the suspend function... suspend does not work on my 7 yr old toshiba laptop... i removed shutdown-gui and added acpitool and pupshutdown... now, it suspends just fine... THANK YOU for x-precise...

Precise seems to come with APM only which my desktop doesn't even support. I tried the acpi pkgs from lina and they didn't work so I dl'ed "acpi-support" and all the deps from package manager and suspend worked, hibernate didn't. I'll make a package with all 9 deps included so at least suspend is functioning.

rg66

PostPosted: Sun 18 Aug 2013, 14:25    Post subject:  

pchan wrote:
Now i am trying to get my atheros bluetooth to work. i have never found any puppy that works well with my bluetooth.

I tried downloading and installing blueman and its dependencies from pakage manager but my netbook bluetooth just refuse to work.

I tried and failed a few times to get bluetooth working in lina, I don't think precise will be any different. When I have some time, I'll give it a go.

rg66

PostPosted: Sun 18 Aug 2013, 14:56    Post subject:  

okokoook wrote:
i went to check the precise puppy repository and i found out that some apps like wine, conky, libreoffice seem to be missing on the list. i was wondering can we just simply grab all the goodies from Carolina repository to have them running in x-precise?

i am aware that i could download the apps from precise puppy ppm. but the truth is that most of time when i try to download a 5MB app, i also need to download 50 MB dependency for it. to be honest this is not that desirable.

i just have a minor question regarding the thunar in x-precise. it seems that we have the pup-volume monitor installed in the x-precise. but i did not see the little triangle button that used to appear next to the partition for unmount purpose in the left lane of thunar. we have that in x-precise 1.0, is this a new feature in x-precise 2.0 ?

thank you for everything, i really like it!!!

best regards

michael

A lot of the apps from lina seem to work in precise, give them a try and the package manager should list missing deps.

I've also found that the Ubuntu repo requires a lot of extra downloads to get something working. I guess that's the price of having an under 200mb OS. If there is enough demand, I'll try and make some of the more popular packages available for download.

No, the unmount triangle isn't there. I'm not sure if it's thunar, or precise. I tried an older pup-volume-monitor and it didn't change anything. You have to right click the partition and select unmount.

Last edited by rg66 on Sun 18 Aug 2013, 15:02; edited 1 time in total
rg66

PostPosted: Sun 18 Aug 2013, 14:59    Post subject:  

yr1945 wrote:
my 2 cents worth... I like very few apps... eg, I don't ever use "official" puppies because they are crammed with everything... the fewer apps the better... keep the iso minimal... and, let others add to it... Thank You...

I tried to have a basic functioning system unlike v1 which was a little more stripped down. Since I added adrive support, I might separate the apps from the core system for the next one.

slenkar

PostPosted: Sun 18 Aug 2013, 15:35    Post subject:  

thanks for xprecise, working very well
will the xdev for puppy 5.7.1 work with this?
rg66

PostPosted: Sun 18 Aug 2013, 23:52    Post subject:  

slenkar wrote:
thanks for xprecise, working very well
will the xdev for puppy 5.7.1 work with this?

Glad some people are liking X-precise-2.0

It's still precise 5.7.1 so the devx will work.

Tote

PostPosted: Mon 19 Aug 2013, 10:40    Post subject:  

another thumbs-up for X-precise.2.0. Working very well, many thanks Very Happy
Ray MK

PostPosted: Tue 20 Aug 2013, 18:40    Post subject:  

Hi

Outstanding puppy - many thanks - Ray

Will do a more informative report soon.

swiatmar

PostPosted: Wed 21 Aug 2013, 13:22    Post subject:  

Great work Smile
The only thing what I am missing are the HD icons on desktop like in the original precise puppy version. But I know it is a little bit complicated to put them on the desktop in xfce version of puppy.
Gray know the secret............ Smile
rg66

PostPosted: Wed 21 Aug 2013, 13:42    Post subject:  

swiatmar wrote:
Great work Smile
The only thing what I am missing are the HD icons on desktop like in the original precise puppy version. But I know it is a little bit complicated to put them on the desktop in xfce version of puppy.
Gray know the secret............ Smile

Thanks swiatmar

If you want the drive icons, right click on the desktop > Desktop Settings> Icons tab > Default icons heading > click the Removable Devices checkbox.

yr1945

PostPosted: Wed 21 Aug 2013, 14:18    Post subject:  

@rg66... the more I use X-precise 2.0 the more I like it... also, just wanted to let you know that I played around with the a-drive (since you mentioned it in a recent post)... it is listed in the Control Panel as "X Adrive Builder"... it worked quite well... the one thing I did wrong was add 2 apps that you already included in the main sfs file... therefore, as an example, I had abiword listed in the Menu twice...

anyway, I rebuilt the a-drive without abiword and things worked pretty good, eg, abiword was only listed once in the Menu...

Thank you again for X-precise...
Page 3 of 24 [348 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ..., 22, 23, 24 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: