How about "Bitey Puppy"...

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
ardvark

How about "Bitey Puppy"...

#1 Post by ardvark »

Hi guys...

Being a bit silly here but how about a version called Bitey Puppy after a boxer my parents had years ago. Her name was Sugar and she could roughhouse better than ANY dog I've ever known.

This version could emphasize security and have the best possible drivers for the different types of webcams and other similar devices (to monitor your house, business, property, etc.,) as well as the best security applications available. It could also include easy to use encryption software.

I don't know what's available for Linux along these lines but I thought it was a cute idea. :D

Regards...
Our Lord and Savior [url=http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/]Jesus Christ[/url] loves and cares about you most of all!

PLEASE READ! You don't have to end up [url=http://www.spiritlessons.com/Documents/BillWiese_23MinutesInHell_Text.htm]here![/url]

wibble

#2 Post by wibble »

Encryption is a problem. Its classified as a weapon and requires a export agreement by 'murica.

DES is all you are going to get for a number of countries.

Balkans
Belarus
Burma
Cote d'Ivoire
Cuba
Democratic Republic of the Congo
Iran
Iraq
Former Liberian Regime of Charles Taylor
Lebanon
Libya
North Korea
Somalia
Sudan
Syria

http://www.bis.doc.gov/index.php/policy ... cation#One

ardvark

#3 Post by ardvark »

Hi...

A weapon?! Wow... :(

Regards...

wibble

#4 Post by wibble »

DES is still ok, its still the default for a lot of mainframe's.

I mean the best computers we have today will still require 24 hours to crack DES. if your transferring session information thats still going to be fine for most applications.

Building a machine from the ground up that was based on DES encryption for its services using some sort of trusted hardware platform would be pretty neat. DES is pretty lightweight algorithm so its not going to kill your machines cycle time like other standards would.

As far as tools. Its a hard one because honestly by the time an antivirus package has detected there is a problem its already to late. the latest generation of viruses and malware are tested against these products or attack your machine in ways the program has no way of really making anything more than a guess. Security programs that cost big bucks to guard against Trojan software like zeus and citidel were rendered totally infective after the last upgrade of the malware.

So you can guard against scriptkiddys, and people using old outdated programs to try and get at you but the new stuff is pretty much going to be unstoppable for the moment.

A open source firewall that is configurable in a sane way that while still being effective enables users to get there work done.

I found that was the biggest problem was people would buy these amazing firewall solutions for there company but because it was hard to use or administrate, users got frustrated when it blocked there programs it was just set to allow all ports, all traffic... :cry:

The best thing is not to focus on the shiny things like software, hardware but the weakest part of the chain. And that is the human side. If you can educate users to be more careful on line, not to click randomly on attachments or how to spot a "legit" site from a fake. Then you have already solved a big part of the problem.

ardvark

#5 Post by ardvark »

wibble wrote:The best thing is not to focus on the shiny things like software, hardware but the weakest part of the chain. And that is the human side. If you can educate users to be more careful on line, not to click randomly on attachments or how to spot a "legit" site from a fake. Then you have already solved a big part of the problem.
Hi...

To an extent, yes. However, I think the software and hardware play an extremely important role here, too. Judging from what I see here and here, (just as an example) I don't think education alone is the solution.

Regards...