JWM: Maximized windows still resizable. How to change this?

Using applications, configuring, problems
MochiMoppel

#1 Post by MochiMoppel »

I like JWM - except for one annoyance: When I push the mouse cursor to the edge of a maximized window, the cursor turns into a resize cursor and I can resize the window. This makes it difficult to target the vertical scrollbar. I can't just push the mouse to the edge, instead I carefully have to position the mouse slightly off the edge.

I've never seen such a behaviour in any other application. I'm used to expect resize cursors only for windows in "restore" status, but never in "maximized" status. Is this intentional or a bug? Is there any way to disable the resize cursors?

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

MochiMoppel- on second thought, think I'll pass..

8-bit

#3 Post by 8-bit »

This is something one could suggest to the maker of the JWM desktop.
I do not remember how one gives him feedback.
So maybe someone else that does will chime in.

Monsie

#4 Post by Monsie »

MochiMoppel,

The place to bring up your concerns is this thread here where forum member scsijon is actively working with Joewing (the developer) to improve JWM.

Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

MochiMoppel

#5 Post by MochiMoppel »

The author fixed the resizing issue in one of the new snapshots ("Prevent resizing while maximized", fixed June 11th,2013), which is also included in Puppy Raring.

Unfortunately it's a change for the worse. I still can't push the mouse to the edge of the screen because now I will land on a useless window border, which is good for nothing.The previous resize bug (?) at least provided a nice workaround for hitting the scrollbar instead of border: In maximized state I could select "Resize" from the window menu (in the new snapshots this menu item is gone), then push the Right Arrow key and Enter. This would shift the border 10px to the right and would let me hit the scrollbar without hitting the (now invisible) border.

Openbox does it right, why can't JWM? I'll try to give feedback to Joewing. Thanks for the suggestions.

Moat

#6 Post by Moat »

I agree - this is a really obnoxious bug (?) in an otherwise fine lightweight window manager. I could not find a way to fix it via config file tweaks, so gave up and installed Openbox instead (fantastic solution, IMHO). A "maximized" window should be "maximized" - not "maximized, minus one pixel"! Surprised more folks have not mentioned it.