GUI Question -- Fluppy013 Netbook Interface

Using applications, configuring, problems
starhawk

GUI Question -- Fluppy013 Netbook Interface

#1 Post by starhawk »

Sorry I've been a little absent from the Puppy world. I'm still here, just haven't been all that active. Dunno what's up with that.

I remember in Fluppy 013 that there's a "Netbook Interface" which I'm guessing was also in Puppeee. (I've booted Puppeee literally once or twice so I don't know. Sorry, jemimah!)

I've liked the look of that interface for a long time. I'm wondering if it was something Jemimah specifically cooked up more-or-less herself for Fluppy and Puppeee, or if it was something she adapted from somewhere else. (Normally I'd post in the Fluppy 013 thread for her to see, but she hasn't been on in a very long time, so I don't know how productive that would be.)

Does anyone know the origins of that interface?

starhawk

#2 Post by starhawk »

*sigh* did I put this in the wrong place again?

Semme

#3 Post by Semme »

Shouldn't matter- the coverage here is good.

starhawk

#4 Post by starhawk »

Well, I was starting to wonder... posted this a while ago and I'm trying to figure out why it's getting near-zero attention... maybe I'm just impatient?

starhawk

#5 Post by starhawk »

...?

:(

Semme

#6 Post by Semme »

Fluppy? I don't know.. What is it that's sooo horrible about Pup? Anything here raise yer pulse?

starhawk

#7 Post by starhawk »

Semme wrote:What is it that's sooo horrible about Pup?
What??? I *love* Puppy! I actually don't use any other Linuces... Puppy does it for me :D

But I do like that netbook interface; it's handy on the smaller screens. Hence why I'm trying to figure out if it's particular to Fluppy, or if it's available somewhere else as well... ;)

Semme

#8 Post by Semme »

Why not boot up and run ps aux? Maybe even peek inside xorg.conf?

starhawk

#9 Post by starhawk »

I was kinda hoping not to have to burn a CD to find this out.

Whatever, I can do that.

Semme

#10 Post by Semme »

You did say you've booted once or twice, hmm? :D

starhawk

#11 Post by starhawk »

That was a long time ago!

#12 Post by 106498 »

Fluppy was simply amazing for netbooks. One of the few distros where everything worked out of the box.

I think the combination you're referring to is the lxlauncher application launcher, with flwm window manager (titlebar to the side).

I personally preferred IceWM. Set the taskbar at the top, and configure it to hide the titlebar for maximised windows. There is also a button to hide/unhide the taskbar. Last but not least, Alt-F11 will maximise ANY window, even if the application does not support it.

EDIT: forgot to say, there was quite a bit of work put into getting it all so perfect in fluppy. So out of the box you might not get quite the same result. (for example I think Jemimah recompiled flwm herself with some changes). Maybe you can find an old fluppy repository somewhere?

try this:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=346598
[color=green]An expert is just a beginner with experience.[/color]
Shamelessly representing [url=http://www.tdem.co.nz]TdeM[/url]!

starhawk

#13 Post by starhawk »

@106498 -- that sounds /very/ familiar... I'll pop up Fluppy in a few minutes and take a look.

BTW -- what is TdeM? (I also like the quote in your sig. Very true!)

starhawk

#14 Post by starhawk »

You're smart, 106498! It's lxlauncher, alright.

Had a little fun figuring out how it gets set. Fluppy 13 uses an early version of PupControl, or possibly a predecessor. It's at /usr/bin/lxl-controlpanel. Ran that in terminal to figure out the next bit, since it's a compiled application and not a shell script (if it were a shell script, all I'd need to figure things out would be Geany and a shovel :lol: )

When you click on the "Change Desktop Environment" icon within lxl-controlpanel, it calls /usr/bin/change-desktop. *That* alters a default desktop configuration file -- /usr/local/bin/defaultdesktop -- to tell Fluppy which of the three desktop environments available (ROX Filer, Netbook Launcher, or "None") to load upon next X restart. (I'm halfway tempted to click "None" just to see what happens, but I rather suspect I don't want to know...)

The reason this is interesting to me is because it's *completely* independent of /etc/windowmanager and /etc/wm (both of which are present) -- those, in the case of Fluppy 13, only tell whether you're loading flwm, IceWM, OpenBox, or (if your system is good enough -- mine isn't!) Compiz upon next X restart. They don't tell what *else* is going on and that threw me for a loop.

Next step is to try and figure out what's needed to be able to run lxlauncher in Upup Precise 3991 :shock: probably way more than I'm able to give it (ie I'd quite likely have to recompile it. Ow. "make" does some very interesting and very bad things in my presence...)

starhawk

#15 Post by starhawk »

Well, after installing the following *.deb's from Ubuntu Precise Pangolin repos ...

lxlauncher_0.2.2-1ubuntu2_i386.deb
libmenu-cache1_0.3.2-2.1ubuntu1_i386.deb

...I have lxlauncher working. Sorta. It (of course) doesn't natively support Puppy's menu system, and some of the pixmaps are broken (and it doesn't have a background, either). I also can't seem to start it automatically, easily.

But it's a start.

I'm next going to try uninstalling those and and copying over files from Fluppy 13. This should be interesting...

#16 Post by 106498 »

starhawk wrote:BTW -- what is TdeM?
Just my website. On most forums etc. I'm now called tdem (sorta my initials). My website appears to be down a lot lately, maybe time to start paying for hosting? Nahh.

You just reminded me of one thing I didn't like about fluppy. You couldn't just run 'xwin icewm' or whatever window manager to test it out, you had to go and edit that /etc/wm with whatever you wanted to use.

Maybe you could try getting an lxpanel pet from somewhere. It seems plausible that it uses the same menu file as lxlauncher.
[color=green]An expert is just a beginner with experience.[/color]
Shamelessly representing [url=http://www.tdem.co.nz]TdeM[/url]!

starhawk

#17 Post by starhawk »

An update.

Lifted what appeared to be the relevant files from Fluppy. No wallpaper support, so I must've left something out. Don't know what.

Tried P-Launch 0.5.3 from here -- similar issue, and the icons were messed up -- some are huge, some are tiny, some are blurry.

Tried jemimah's lxlauncher PET for Saluki from here, and it had the same issue as the Fluppy file-pull -- can't set the wallpaper.

I think I'll ask in the PET Requests forum and link to this thread.