Solved - Soundcard problem when using savepup for first time

Booting, installing, newbie
Bit_of_a_Wag

Solved - Soundcard problem when using savepup for first time

#1 Post by Bit_of_a_Wag »

After creating and saving my personal file there is a soundcard problem upon rebooting. I have found that deleting the personal save file and rebooting brings the sound back after rebooting.

I have been unsuccessful in finding a solution on this forum. However Barry's Blog http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02623 seemed to suggest a possible answer:
The solution for the first (after trying not to save the devices) was to eliminate devices from the main sfs all together, and trust the kernel-udev to do the job in every boot.
Would this solve my issue? If so, can anyone explain how to do this?

Barry's suggestion was intended for advanced users - I am a beginner.

Other than this problem Slacko Puppy is great - thanks for all the work everyone has put into it.

Best,

Richard
Last edited by Bit_of_a_Wag on Mon 12 Aug 2013, 04:14, edited 1 time in total.

watchdog

#2 Post by watchdog »

Try at first booting to rename /usr/sbin/alsawizard as /usr/sbin/alsawizard.old to get rid of it at second boot. When you want to run your slackosave on another machine go back and rename /usr/sbin/alsawizard.old as /usr/sbin/alsawizard. Let me know if it works.

Bit_of_a_Wag

#3 Post by Bit_of_a_Wag »

Many thanks Watchdog.

Have I followed your instructions correctly?

[Context booted with personal file deleted - sound present]
  • Then I followed your instructions (after localising settings (keyboard, time-zone, etc)

Renamed /usr/sbin/alsawizard.old as /usr/sbin/alsawizard

Rebooted (saved to file upon rebooting)
Did I follow your instructions correctly? If so, the problem still remains. However, thanks for your suggestion.

Any more suggestions?

Best,

Rich

mikeb

#4 Post by mikeb »

hmmm my experience of this was when a netbook I have was fitted with a faster cpu.
This suggested that the sound hardware was not ready when previous settings were applied.

My action was to decrap the sound setup which seems to be spread all over the place and remove the modprobe config to prompt module insertion so udev handles it every time, but I believe the 'cure' was to move restoring previous sound settings (asoundrc) to the far end of rc.sysinit so giving time for the hardware to settle and have not had a problem since.

hope that sheds some light.

mike

Bit_of_a_Wag

#5 Post by Bit_of_a_Wag »

Hi MikeB,
Thanks for your input.

To help clarify the situation, may I add the further details of my Dell C400 (PP03L) Laptop:

Audio Adapter: Intel 82801CA-ICH3
Chip: Cirrus Logic CS4205 rev 5

Processor: Mobile Intel P3 CPU-M 1200MHz

I feel that the laptop is pretty old (10+ years) so I'm not sure if your workaround would work for me...

The laptop's sound works fine before a personal slackosave file is saved. It fails when using slackosave; but works again when rebooted after slackosave file is deleted. With this in mind may I suggest that perhaps mounting and editing the slackosave file might be one way to find the answer?

Best,

Rich

PS Best to walk me through things as I am a beginner

watchdog

#6 Post by watchdog »

I'm not expert as programmer. I just had success in some editings of scripts just done. Try this if someone else does not give you new suggestions. Open as a text in geany /etc/init.d/10alsa and add a line at the begin to retard its execution as suggested. I just give you some code as example:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
sleep 10 #Line added
#Barry Kauler april 2009, puppylinux.com

mikeb

#7 Post by mikeb »

Hmm the sounds startup sequence seems to change all the time so its hard to give specific suggestions, only an idea of what may be happening unfortunately. In the version i 'fixed' it did not even run rc.alsa!

If there is a file to try to delete from the save it would be
/etc/asound.state (sorry its not asoundrc...my bad)
..this is created at shutdown and saves the previous audio settings though without it a generic setup is supposed to be used to avoid muted sound. It would have to be removed when puppy is not running/using the save.
Removing the sound card alias from modprobe.conf/modprobe.d would test to see if module loading sequence was affecting matters.

Age is no barrier though onboard intel sound has been known to be stubborn at times. I have a 13 year old machine which hates audacity :D ..or portaudio to be more specific...onboard intel jobbie.

mike

Bit_of_a_Wag

#8 Post by Bit_of_a_Wag »

Thanks Mike B. That has solved it!

For clarification:
  • I started the laptop (running without a save file so that the audio was working)
    Found the file asound.state and deleted it
    Shut down agreeing to save a personal file.
    Rebooted, sound working
Thanks to MikeB and Watchdog for your patience. Puppy can now be used to the full.

Best,

Rich

mikeb

#9 Post by mikeb »

Ah good...

asound.state is created by /usr/sbin/alsactl store found in /etc/rc.shutdown (or it was) you could comment it out with #

mike

darkcity

#10 Post by darkcity »

Glad you found a solution. Would be interesting to know the contents of

/etc/asound.state

...before you deleted, to know what is causing the problem. Sometimes its caused by the wrong module being loaded, or loaded in the wrong order.

I can't use Slacko since alsaconf was removed. So I'm stuck on 5.3.1 at the moment. (the thread regarding this problem is here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=86679)

Bit_of_a_Wag

#11 Post by Bit_of_a_Wag »

Thanks MikeB, I'll give it a go.

Darkcity, I copied the file to thumbstick before deleting and have attached the file to this post.

Thanks again,

Best wishes,

Rich
Attachments
asound.state.zip
Zipped file
(1.03 KiB) Downloaded 252 times

darkcity

#12 Post by darkcity »

thanks, I can't tell what the precise error was. I understand the files in the /etc/modprobe.d/ directory more clearly.

8)

Bit_of_a_Wag

#13 Post by Bit_of_a_Wag »

Deleting /etc/asound.state fixed it only temporarily. Therefore not really fixed. Ferreting around for hours and searching countless forums for similar problems helped me do the following:

Menu>Setup>ALSA Sound Wizard
Clicked adjust levels button to open alsamixer
raised each level to max and unmuted each level
(use left and right arrows to move to each level, up arrow key to raise levels; press m key to unmute)

Rebooted and (finally) I have the pup bark each time.

I think I had read this solution to a similar sound problem on a forum - it worked for me also. I think the difficulty was in finding how to unmute - using the M key (muted levels show a the letters MM). I hope this helps any newcomers such as myself. Thanks to all who gave their time.

I just keep pressing that sound test button - what a relief!

Now my pup's tail is wagging.