Modifying the puppy kernel

Using applications, configuring, problems
rmcellig

Modifying the puppy kernel

#1 Post by rmcellig »

I have been trying out the new Puppy Precise and like it for what it does on my iMac. It allows me to record my shows from Audio Line In. This is because it uses I think kernel version 3.8. Anyway, the majority of the time I prefer using Lucid 5.2.8 which does not work on my iMac in relation to recording from Line In.

Is it possible to upgrade the kernel in Lucid 5.2.8 to the one Precise uses or if that is out of the question, update the component in kernal 3.8 that allows for recording from the sound card used in my iMac. Bottom line, what are my options short of having to go with another Puppy distro?

By the way, I am trying out Slitaz. I have nener tried this distro before. It is wickedly fast from the CD. Maybe faster than puppy?

Dewbie

#2 Post by Dewbie »

You could always experiment. :)
Have a look over here.

rmcellig

#3 Post by rmcellig »

Thanks!

I can't believe all the things you can do with Puppy. I will follow the instructions on the link you sent me. :)

mikeb

#4 Post by mikeb »

You could build a newer version of Alsa on Lucid... its usually pretty straight forward and may only need the kernel modules building but usually its a good idea to build the modules and matching libraries and utilities.

To do so you need the devx and kernel source for lucid.
Unpack the alsa source (obtained from ALSA website) , go into the folder(s) and run ./configure and then make and finally make install. Its does not take too long. Or ask someone friendly to do it :)

The alsa version that comes with a particular kernel is just a case of what happens to be around at the time and is relatively independent.

The only problem with kernel swapping is that there can be some core changes (happens a lot with newer kernels---a devs nightmare) that may not get on with the initrd/boot sequence too well ... a case of suck it and see. The kernel that Lucid comes with is arguably the best one that has come with an official puppy release and does not have any of that 'retro' nonsense... so the suse approach of sticking with a good one has some validity.

mike

rmcellig

#5 Post by rmcellig »

Thanks mikeb!

Great comments. Actually I am playing around with Precise 5.7 more and more and I really like it now. This is due to the Openboxplus that I installed so that I can run openbox with lxpanel instead of the default jwm. Openboxplus even comes with wmswitcher which is probably the main reason I use Lucid 5.2.8. It's a great switcher utility.

mikeb

#6 Post by mikeb »

Actually if you run on precise
cat /proc/asound/version

it will tell you the alsa version that is making your sound card happy...just so you know,
I had to update alsa on 4.12 to get headphone switching working.

mike

edit...corrected boo boo
Last edited by mikeb on Thu 08 Aug 2013, 23:01, edited 1 time in total.

rmcellig

#7 Post by rmcellig »

Thanks. I will check that out.

rmcellig

#8 Post by rmcellig »

This is what I get:

sh-4.1# cat /proc/asound
cat: /proc/asound: Is a directory
sh-4.1#

mikeb

#9 Post by mikeb »

Thats because I forgot to warm up my brain cell ... its should be

cat /proc/asound/version

... golden dime bar award for me...

mike

rmcellig

#10 Post by rmcellig »

Actually you did post the correct code in your previous post. It's me that has to wake up my brain cells :) , must be all this training I am doing for a marathon in September. I will try this out tomorrow and post back.

mikeb

#11 Post by mikeb »

Actually you did post the correct code in your previous post. It's me that has to wake up my brain cells Smile
actually you are not losing your mind I edited the post for the good of society.

marathons make me think of a chocolate bar with false claims of healthiness ... now known as snickers here.... ok off topic, which was/is another choccie car.

Now I must banana split

mike

rmcellig

#12 Post by rmcellig »

:)