Tinted Slacko 5.5-4G v0.5

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
sc0ttman

#41 Post by sc0ttman »

Tman,

I have created a new package manager for Akita, and within it is a frontend for buildpet. If you are interested, the buildpet tab could be extracted and used standalone in tinted Slacko, or whatever else contains buildpet > 0.5 ..

Here are a screenshot:

[b][url=https://bit.ly/2KjtxoD]Pkg[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2U6dzxV]mdsh[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2G49OE8]Woofy[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/bzBU1]Akita[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/SO5ug]VLC-GTK[/url], [url=https://tiny.cc/c2hnfz]Search[/url][/b]

Volhout

quick test

#42 Post by Volhout »

Installed on 4Gbyte USB key. Running without save file.

DELL i5 laptop: works good. Sound and video and WIFI work ootb. my first TINT2 experience.

eeePC (N270): not as snappy as Slacko 533, but all works fine. Video, audio, WIFI. Firefox works fine, but is not as efficient as Opera. Thanks to Conky have good comparison.

On the eeePC, showing same youtube video (CPU usage)

Firefox
Firefox 20%
Flash 40-50%

Opera 12.02 (from Slacko 533 repository, I has available)
Opera 8%
Flash 40-50%

Memory usage is simlar (Opera does not consume more memory).
Opera 12.xx is more efficient than 11.xx on Tinted Slacko

Even Barry includes Opera as low resource browser in Precise (where Seamonkey is the power browser. I really don't understand why Opera not the browser of choice for puppy linux.

simargl

#43 Post by simargl »

Last edited by simargl on Sun 01 Sep 2013, 15:27, edited 1 time in total.

Tman

#44 Post by Tman »

sc0ttman wrote:Tman,

I have created a new package manager for Akita, and within it is a frontend for buildpet. If you are interested, the buildpet tab could be extracted and used standalone in tinted Slacko, or whatever else contains buildpet > 0.5 ..
Thanks very much, sc0ttman. I've been meaning to create a frontend gui for buildpet and have put it on the back-burner for so long now :roll: ... I got lazy since using the command line for buildpet was simple enough for me.

Your Package Manager looks nice...a fantastic achievement!
-
Last edited by Tman on Fri 09 Aug 2013, 05:18, edited 2 times in total.

Tman

#45 Post by Tman »

Volhout,
Thanks for testing and for your feedback. I still prefer Firefox because of the Add-ons I use for it, but perhaps I will build a version with Opera web browser for a change.
simargl wrote: Is that package manager compatible with other Puppy versions? If buildpet script is in good functional state why not make this as default, especially because standard build script for pet packages does not exist, and many people when compiling pet packages just repeat same actions over and over after every new program release. Perhaps you should inform Barry Kauler about this new package manager - he ignored my suggestions about providing standard build script template for pet packages, but maybe will accept finished product, just by looking screen shot it seems like real improvement.
simargl,
The thread for buildpet is -> here

buildpet itself should work in any pup, while the individual .bp scripts for each application or library should work, so long as the dependencies are met, and the location of the sources remain the same.

My vision was to have compilers pool their knowledge and share config options for apps which they compiled, which are not included yet as a buildpet script. I see that there have been over 200 downloads during the time of this post, but sadly not a lot of other compilers have stepped up and given there compile options for apps that are not in the archive, so I have been creating new scripts slowly, on my own... which reminds me, I will put out a new tarball with updated .bp scripts this weekend. My new job and moving to a new town has kept me preoccupied and away from puppy stuff lately, but things are settling down.

Smithy

#46 Post by Smithy »

Hi Tman,
was wondering if you know how to make Firefox preferences "stick" for remastering purposes.
I wanted updated turned off, home page changed and a couple of other extensions added, and other tweaks but when I throw user/lib/firefox (and mozilla folder) into temp/root at the remaster stage, the final remastered cd comes back with the original settings, updates on, home page and look back to original in tinted slacko.

Any ideas how to achieve this?

Tman

#47 Post by Tman »

Hi Smithy,

Well the simplest way that I can think of is to customize Firefox the way that you like it, then during the remaster process, copy everything from /root/.mozilla/firefox to /tmp/root/.mozilla/firefox. The drawback to this is that the size of your iso will increase substantially. You can tweak this process by removing uneeded files in that folder, but it has been a long time since I've done that, so I can't remember off the top of my head what files can be removed... it was through trial and error before I managed to figure it out.

I had done this for Slickpup and older versions of Solidpup.

Smithy

#48 Post by Smithy »

Great thanks Tman, I will have a look at that and see if I can prune it a bit.

Yes that folder is four times bigger when dragged out to hard disk.

the last saviour

#49 Post by the last saviour »

Hi Tman;
After I had added JDK16u.sfs & Wildfire0.67.sfs from LazyPuppy I found Tintedslacko 5.5 to be the fastest Puppy for rendering fractal. But then I wanted to make a snapshot I found some problem with region selection because it didn't show any boundary of selected area as I saw in Saluki. Is this normal? And it doesn't work.
Not only the fastest Puppy but Tintedslacko is the first Puppy that I can type Thai word without the error beep. I don't know whether this improvement is belong to you or Micko01. Anyway a big thank to both of you.
But there's a big problem with ffconvert, as I wanted to convert m4a to mp3. I clicked "Play" to test the file. Then DeadBeef popup, but it's freezed and then crashed the system. But this file can be opened with GNome Mplayer. The convertion was good, though there's no progress GUI.
I had accidently deleted clipboard in the taskbar but I can't reinstore or find it in the Menu. Can this clipboard be used for multiple selections? But then I switched to Openbox and back to JWM, I could get it again.
Your cursors are very nice. But it won't change unless I changed Desktop Icon too.
Zsnes is still unfunctioned, it only showed GUI 1 second and disappeared.
That should be all.

7 Gods bless you.
Attachments
29.jpg
My super computer spent 15 minutes to render this fractal.
(57.82 KiB) Downloaded 909 times
My people are somebody who will move to crowded city because I have promised them the refuge in the big UFO station.
Now I'd found at least 5 aliens who live in Thailand. They are from Triangular constellation.

Tman

#50 Post by Tman »

the last saviour wrote:Hi Tman;
... there's a big problem with ffconvert, as I wanted to convert m4a to mp3. I clicked "Play" to test the file. Then DeadBeef popup, but it's freezed and then crashed the system. But this file can be opened with GNome Mplayer. The convertion was good, though there's no progress GUI.
I had accidently deleted clipboard in the taskbar but I can't reinstore or find it in the Menu. Can this clipboard be used for multiple selections? But then I switched to Openbox and back to JWM, I could get it again.
Your cursors are very nice. But it won't change unless I changed Desktop Icon too.
Zsnes is still unfunctioned, it only showed GUI 1 second and disappeared.
Hello, sorry for the late reply.
I kept Deadbeef version 0.4.4 becuase upgrading to anything higher would increase the size significantly... your mp3 issues appears to me to be a Deadbeef problem, since Gnome Mplayer can play the file.
- the clipboard program is Parcellite; I have it set to run on Startup, so just restart the x server if you delete the tray icon by accident. Yes it handles multiple selections, check the "P" icon in the tray.
- the mouse cursor selection program requires you to restart x for changes to take effect.
- Zsnes is a hit or miss... it works on some hardware and doesn't on others. I know it works for me, or else I would have removed it.
I have 2 AMD Athlon X2 64 dual-core cpu desktop computers; they both run zsnes, I don't know how to fix it for your hardware.

If you find a solution for the mp3 problem. please let me know. Perhaps try pmusic or audacious. When I have time, I will compile newer version of deadbeef, and see if that works.

Thanks for all of the feedback,

Van

Tman

#51 Post by Tman »

the last saviour wrote: .. I wanted to convert m4a to mp3. I clicked "Play" to test the file. Then DeadBeef popup, but it's freezed and then crashed the system.
I discovered, that I still have Deadbeef 0.5.6 which I compiled before.
Maybe that will fix your mp3 problem. (hopefully)

http://www.smokey01.com/Tman/apps/slack ... ultimedia/

The newer version requires libiconv to be installed, which can be found in the link below.

http://www.smokey01.com/Tman/apps/slack ... dingblock/
-

Tman

#52 Post by Tman »

The Deadbeef 0.5.6 pet that I uploaded yesterday came with a blank desktop entry (buildpet script error). I have fixed the pet and uploaded it again under the same name.

the last saviour

#53 Post by the last saviour »

Hi Tman;
Thank for your advice.
I had added Deadbeef 0.5.6 but it can't show up. So I uninstalled it and installed libiconv which make Deadbeef 0.4.4 work properly.
I never find Parcellite works properly in any Puppy. It can't save multiple copies. It can only remember 1 copy.
I don't allow you to uninstall Zsnes. This is your trademark, isn't it? And I never experience it yet. Perhaps I need to high xorg driver to play this. But where is this driver?
I installed Heroes and World of Goo from Slack repo. Both worked, but the latter can't show Thai word in the upper left corner correctly. What shall I do?
I had opened Pmusic 4.0, it's GUI is much improved but there's many error. I would suggest you remove this Pmusic instead of Zsnes.
I'm not in a hurry, please give the answer at your convenience.
Thank you.
My people are somebody who will move to crowded city because I have promised them the refuge in the big UFO station.
Now I'd found at least 5 aliens who live in Thailand. They are from Triangular constellation.

Tman

#54 Post by Tman »

@ all,
I have found a bug on my system with the firewallstate icon;
Every time I reboot, the icon shows that the firewall is disabled and I have to click on it to reinstall the firewall to change the icon. If anyone knows how to fix this, please let me know.

@the last saviour,

Hi, thanks for the feedback, I will add libiconv in the next release.

As for Parcellite, multiple selections work for me. Left-click on the "P" icon in the taskbar tray to see what you've saved to the clipboard. Then left-click on a particular previous saved item that you want to use again to copy.. see image below. I've recently learned that one can paste by clicking the scrollwheel of your mouse (if you have one with a scrollwheel, that is).
This trick works nicely with urxvt terminal as well, which is why I no longer need to use LXTerminal for cut and paste, so I don't add LXTerminal to my builds anymore.

Sorry, I have no clue to fix your Thai font issue in the video game.

I think I will keep pmusic this time, since it has improved greatly, and removing it won't make a significant difference to the size of the iso.
You can remove it yourself or use pmenu to keep it from showing in the menus.. see attached image.

As for Zsnes, can you tell me what type of CPU you are running it on, and also what type of graphics card? I compiled Zsnes with support for OpenGL.
I compiled it using buildpet, which has the following default settings for 32-bit systems:

Code: Select all

--build-target=i486-puppy-linux-gnu
and

Code: Select all

CFLAGS="-march=i486 -mtune=i686"
If I change those settings, it **might** work on your machine. If you are interested, I can create several different compiles of Zsnes with different mtune settings for you to test. It doesn't take long for me to alter the buildpet profile to do so.

You can download pets from the Slacko repository directly from here: http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... -slacko14/
But, I don't see a pet for the Xorg-high/Mesa driver there. If I remember correctly, Puppys with newer kernels have those drivers already included.
Attachments
parcellite_clipboard_select.jpg
(84.99 KiB) Downloaded 603 times
pmenu.jpg
(93.42 KiB) Downloaded 607 times

the last saviour

#55 Post by the last saviour »

Thank a lot for your advice.
A few weeks ago I saw Pmusic 4.1.1 at Ibiblio perhaps you may want to upgrade it.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... -4.1.1.pet

My computer is IBM thinkcentre, P4 2.66, Ram bus 333. I would like to try several different compiles of Zsnes with different mtune settings too. But I have some computer problem, so next month will be OK for me. :x

And I am very busy with those aliens. There're so many UFO in the sky. :o
I've just experienced a silver cigar shape UFO with my eye last Monday, ~1 km long. But I didn't have any camera with me. :cry:

Cheer.

Tman

#56 Post by Tman »

the last saviour,
Check your PM. I have several versions of Zsnes for you to try.

There was a time when I was fascinated with aliens. But it seems they have no interest in me, and likewise, I have lost interest in them.
Now I try to keep my interests in down-to-earth matters instead of keeping my head in the clouds too often.

the last saviour

#57 Post by the last saviour »

Hi Tman;
I had test all 3 Zsnes but none works. Perhaps I have to buy another computer to enjoy this game! :)
I also find the Line Wrapping in Geany is different from other Puppy.

Only 1 question for this, what will happen if one use FFconvert to convert video file and he clicks the Play button?
Best regards.

the last saviour

#58 Post by the last saviour »

Hi Tman;
I had installed all 3 Zsnes into Saluki and got the same error,
File /usr/bin/zsnes has these missing library files: libpng14.so.14
Perhaps it is the problem. :wink:

the last saviour

#59 Post by the last saviour »

Hi Tman
Happy New Year 2014 to you and your family.[/b]
:) :D :lol: ]

Tman

#60 Post by Tman »

Thanks, last saviour.

And happy New Year to all members of the Murga forum.