#1 Post by bill »

Yup ! Tinkering again :?
Attachments
HowToSymbolicLink.jpg
(92.46 KiB) Downloaded 600 times

tytower

#2 Post by tytower »

Sometimes you can over explain something to the point of confusing people

Open two rox windows -one the startup file and the other the file containing the binary file you want to run at startup .

Right click on the binary and drag it to the startup folder
Chose relative link on the choice box thast pops up.

No pics needed

bill

How to Symbolic Link Step by Step

#3 Post by bill »

I hope to clarify what I am on about with visual step by step tutorials.Is this the best way ? frankly I don't know ! I will be required to rely on more experienced
users who have better ideas,should they wish to respond.
Attachments
clarification.jpg
(33.71 KiB) Downloaded 497 times

tytower

#4 Post by tytower »

No offence intended Bill , please don't take any.
Anyone new now has two explanations . That can only help

humanise

#5 Post by humanise »

tytower wrote:Sometimes you can over explain something to the point of confusing people

Open two rox windows -one the startup file and the other the file containing the binary file you want to run at startup .

Right click on the binary and drag it to the startup folder
Chose relative link on the choice box thast pops up.

No pics needed
Yes, but some people need more information. Everything is simple once you know how. For example:

User One:
"I've been trying to do this for ages. Able to drag and get a menu in Windows without any problems. Why doesn't this work in Linux. I do everything I was taught to do and It just doesn't work. I hold the right mouse down and drag just like I do in Windows and it just doesn't work"

The explanation above makes no mention that you have to click and hold down the LEFT mouse button on Puppy Linux. I was always taught to do it with the RIGHT mouse button on Microsoft Windows.

User two:
" I don't understand what's happening. I follow the instructions, it gives me the menu and it gives me a little window that I fill in. It all looks like it is working but when I go and look for the link that I created it isn't there. It has just disappeared"

The current default action when you drop something onto a subdirectory item is that it goes into the subdirectory rather than the directory that you have open at. If, having opened a particular directory, you expect it in that directory, this can be very confusing.

There is a need for short concise instructions and there is a need for Ultra detailed instructions. Important stuff needs to be documented twice.

By the way, I was impressed by the conciseness of your instructions. They are very good. Strangely it is hard for some of us (like myself) to describe things that concisely. I just believe that the extra details are also needed sometimes.

L18L

#6 Post by L18L »

humanise wrote:Everything is simple once you know how.
...and since the title of this thread does not forbid command lines :wink:

Suggest adding one line for command line.
In your very good example of rubix this would be simply just ONE STEP:

Code: Select all

ln -s /usr/local/bin/rubix $HOME/Startup
(Assuming howto launch console and that you have you press ENTER key has been explained before)

..and maybe also in three steps:

Code: Select all

rox -s /usr/local/bin/rubix &
rox $HOME/Startup/
3rd step: drag and choose

Just my 2 cents

Semme

#7 Post by Semme »

The breakdown from your shells side of the ball >> Symbolic links: Lesson 2