Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 19 Apr 2014, 02:42
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Other Distros
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 79 of 102 [1519 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, ..., 100, 101, 102 Next
starhawk

PostPosted: Sun 04 Aug 2013, 14:49    Post subject:  

Quite possibly. Although, I've not played with ClassicPup much. In my experience it's far too slow to be practical for its intended purpose.

Unless it's just meant to work on P3s and P4s like most of the other Pups do just fine already...? Wink I know it barely crawls on a P2 laptop I have... I would *not* want to try it on a P1...

James C

PostPosted: Tue 06 Aug 2013, 00:42    Post subject:  

Porteus 2.0 release candidate.Using the x86-64 version.KDE,Firefox and a bunch of goodies in about 230 mb.
http://www.porteus.org/

Code:
guest@porteus:~$ uname -r
3.9.4-porteus

guest@porteus:~$ glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
4450 frames in 5.0 seconds = 889.942 FPS
4618 frames in 5.0 seconds = 923.428 FPS
4600 frames in 5.0 seconds = 919.881 FPS
4674 frames in 5.0 seconds = 934.618 FPS

Copied to ram,cd ejected and working well. Smile
Porteus 2.0 rc.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   13.24 KB
 Viewed   795 Time(s)

Porteus 2.0 rc.jpg

nooby

PostPosted: Tue 06 Aug 2013, 11:29    Post subject:  

What about this one?

Robo Linux

http://www.robolinux.org/

Now you can run all your Windows compatible software sand boxed safely inside Robolinux. You no longer need anti virus software or Microsoft security patches! When you run Windows inside the Robolinux VM without anti virus software slowing it down, it operates much faster. Also when your Windows registry slows down then you can instantly click the "Restore Windows VM" button from our menu options to make Windows run as fast as a fresh new install in seconds!
/quote

So it is a wm ware they are usually rather slow are they not?
Hope somebody test it and tell the result.

Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Tue 06 Aug 2013, 16:04    Post subject:  

Just installed the release version of Mint 15 Cinnamon, and it's working well; no problems with it so far.
Compaq Deskpro Pentium III (866 MHz), 512 MB of RAM, 30 GB hard drive running Puppy Fire Hydrant Inferno, Puppy Precise 5.71 Retro, Puppy 5.5 Wary, Puppy Deeper Thought 4.20 and Puppy Legacy OS2.1 LTS.
johnrpm

PostPosted: Tue 06 Aug 2013, 17:07    Post subject:  

just installed Linux lite, very nice and everything seems to work, I shall always have a puppy though.
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Thu 08 Aug 2013, 15:30    Post subject:  

It's a long wait for Solus 2 (I think ikey said before Christmas that he'd had to find a full time job and so didn't have as much time to work on it as he'd like), but I've installed the latest alpha version anyway - 2.0a7. It's a smart looking system and more than adequate except that access to add-on software is a bit "hit and miss" - some of the reason for that though might be because I don't know where and how to access the necessary repositories.
Compaq Deskpro Pentium III (866 MHz), 512 MB of RAM, 30 GB hard drive running Puppy Fire Hydrant Inferno, Puppy Precise 5.71 Retro, Puppy 5.5 Wary, Puppy Deeper Thought 4.20 and Puppy Legacy OS2.1 LTS.
Enrique Corbellini

PostPosted: Fri 09 Aug 2013, 09:17    Post subject:  but looks like it's not for free  

[quote="nooby"]What about this one?

Robo Linux

I didn't use it with windows apps yet, but it didn't let me install on my machine unless paying few money.
Proving it for some minutes, it doesn't show the card of my phone when connecting it through cable, and doesn't transfer files from the desktop to the puppy disc partition.
On the other hand, it looks pretty well, and has a "what you see is what you get" look, but personally I prefer linux dedicated to free software, cause that's why we developed it.
Robolinux screenshot.jpg
Description 
jpg

Download 
Filename  Robolinux screenshot.jpg 
Filesize  124.94 KB 
Downloaded  113 Time(s) 
James C

PostPosted: Sat 10 Aug 2013, 18:03    Post subject:  

Porteus 2.1 released.
http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2412

Quote:
Major additions since our 2.0 release include restructuring our layout to have standalone iso's for five desktop environments (KDE4, RazorQT, Mate, Xfce and LXDE)
Porteus 2.1 LXDE -2.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   39.34 KB
 Viewed   506 Time(s)

Porteus 2.1 LXDE -2.jpg

Porteus 2.1 LXDE.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   28.6 KB
 Viewed   553 Time(s)

Porteus 2.1 LXDE.jpg

bark_bark_bark

PostPosted: Sat 10 Aug 2013, 19:48    Post subject:  

I am running a 32bit Porteus 2.1 system that uses the XFCE Desktop. I am having major issues with the time (OS side), but that really isn't life-threatening.

I had used a built-in tool to get VirtualBox 4.2.16 installed and running. I have a Arch Linux Vbox set-up with XFCE as the desktop as well.

The only negative real negative outcome of running a virtual machine on a netbook, is that it may overheat a bit and may use more battery power.

I also would like to make a Slack VBox, but I am a bit lazy to hook up a usb dvd rw burner.

IMHO Slackware is a lot better, but Arch has some similarites with Slack that I want to play around with a bit.

johnrpm

PostPosted: Sun 11 Aug 2013, 13:59    Post subject:  

Well I have been using Linux lite for a few days now,and it really is good, fast and so far, rock solid, I can recommend giving it a try.
rmcellig

PostPosted: Sun 11 Aug 2013, 15:48    Post subject:  

Hi johnrpm,

I agree. I have been using Linux Lite as my current trilogy of distros. The other two are Crunchbang 11 and Puppy Linux. My wife now uses Linux Lite on the PC I made for her a few years ago. She loves it and so do I.
nooby

PostPosted: Sun 11 Aug 2013, 19:03    Post subject: Re: but looks like it's not for free  

[quote="Enrique Corbellini"]
nooby wrote:
What about this one?

Robo Linux

I didn't use it with windows apps yet, but it didn't let me install on my machine unless paying few money.
Proving it for some minutes, it doesn't show the card of my phone when connecting it through cable, and doesn't transfer files from the desktop to the puppy disc partition.
On the other hand, it looks pretty well, and has a "what you see is what you get" look, but personally I prefer linux dedicated to free software, cause that's why we developed it.

I am sorry had I known them want us to pay then i would not have mention them.

The reason I got curious was that they kind of brag the delay is minimal
which it usally is not on wmare or similar solutions.

Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Fri 16 Aug 2013, 14:49    Post subject:  

I've just installed Enlightenment 17 in Slackware 14, and they go together very well although the Slack version of Enlightenment has darker themes as standard than Bodhi does for some reason.

Slackware itself is a lot easier to install and set up than it used to be, although you still have to do some things manually such as extract the flash plugin from its tar file and copy it to the mozilla plugins directory.

It's also one of the very few distros which comes with the Window Maker window manager as standard.

Last edited by Colonel Panic on Fri 16 Aug 2013, 18:23; edited 1 time in total
rmcellig

PostPosted: Fri 16 Aug 2013, 15:16    Post subject:  

I am going to install slacko 5.6 with the 3.10.5 kernel on my iMac and see how it goes.
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Sat 17 Aug 2013, 14:15    Post subject:  

Solus was one of my favourite distros last year, so I was eager to see the latest alpha release (number 8 ) of Solus 2 was like. Sadly I have to declare myself disappointed with it at this stage.

It seems very unfinished. The devs are clearly going for a lightweight distro this time round, which is good, and with a new desktop unique to Solus, but the whole thing seemed unready for prime time. I couldn't find any way of installing new packages, there's no announcement of the new alpha release on the Solus website at the time of posting with any usage information, and no installer either.

My advice is to wait for the next one and stick with Puppy in the meantime - either Slacko or Carolina are good enough now to be your sole desktop (if you want them to). Or if you really like Solus, 1.3 (Eveline) is still very usable and can be updated from the Debian repos whenever this is needed.

Page 79 of 102 [1519 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, ..., 100, 101, 102 Next
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Jump to: