alphaOS [closed]

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Scooby

#601 Post by Scooby »

OK I dropped save-file from Alphaos8 and now it works better.

Resolution was OK, Menu did work without error.

wireless didnt however

I tried the load modules in rc.conf(iwldvm and mac80211)

I dont get the message

Code: Select all

User defined modules loaded iwldvm mac80211 [OK]
That I got in AlphaOS8

I tried to do

modprobe iwldvm
modprobe mac80211
still no wlan interface?

Since I cannot migrate save-file I will try to automate my setup.
IS this best done with bash script or something else?

*EDIT*

output from lsmod, the modules seems loaded but still problems

Module Size Used by
iwldvm 92031 0
mac80211 183671 1 iwldvm
wlwifi 54958 2 iwldvm
cfg80211 138785 3 iwlwifi,mac80211,iwldvm
rfkill 10460 3 cfg80211,bluetooth,asus_wmi

simargl

#602 Post by simargl »

Scooby, do you still have a backup of you old save file. If yes you can try this:
mount that file (ex. command: mount oldsave.2fs.bak somefolder),
copy /root folder from your old save file over new /root,
Then you will firefox bookmarks, add-ons and other program settings in this version same as in previous, assuming that frisbee and wireless start working.
Scooby wrote: I tried the load modules in rc.conf(iwldvm and mac80211)

I dont get the message
Is there something interesting in /tmp/bootsysinit.log?

Marv

#603 Post by Marv »

Scooby wrote:OK I dropped save-file from Alphaos8 and now it works better.

Resolution was OK, Menu did work without error.

wireless didnt however

I tried the load modules in rc.conf(iwldvm and mac80211)

I dont get the message

User defined modules loaded iwldvm mac80211 [OK]
That I got in AlphaOS8

I tried to do

modprobe iwldvm
modprobe mac80211
still no wlan interface?

Since I cannot migrate save-file I will try to automate my setup.
IS this best done with bash script or something else?

*EDIT*

output from lsmod, the modules seems loaded but still problems

Module Size Used by
iwldvm 92031 0
mac80211 183671 1 iwldvm
wlwifi 54958 2 iwldvm
cfg80211 138785 3 iwlwifi,mac80211,iwldvm
rfkill 10460 3 cfg80211,bluetooth,asus_wmi
Posted re this on the alphaOS board. iwlwifi firmware code is not present in 9.0. I copied the iwlwifi files from /lib/firmware in 8.0 to 9.0, did what you did above and wlan0 was created and frisbee connected.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

smil99

#604 Post by smil99 »

Hi simargl,
Thanks for yet another masterpiece of alphaOS now at V9! :) Writing from it now. However, for my wireless internet to work, I had to copy iwlwifi files from /lib/firmware in 8.0 to 9.0 as suggested by marv and then put iwldvm and mac80211 in the modules line in /etc/rc.conf before making a savefile. Obviously, iwlwifi firmware codes are mssing in V9.
Other than this, everything seems to be working fine.
Cheers.
[b][color=green]Success is never ending. ... Failure is never final![/color][/b]
[size=75][i](Used with kind permission from jejy69)[/i][/size]

simargl

#605 Post by simargl »

I've started uploading new iso, with only difference in iwlwifi firmware is added back again.
I don't even remember when I removed it :? , but clearly it wasn't there.

simargl

#606 Post by simargl »

New sakura 3.1.0 included in this version needs -x argument to execute command, instead of -e argument as it was in previous version of sakura. That is reason why alsamixer did not start on Win+v or right click volumeicon>Sound Mixer, in alphaOs 9.0. Also extracting zip, rar and 7z archives from inside spacefm did not work, extracting supposed to be in terminal ,but it only launched sakura and then stopped. I fixed those problems adding -x instead of -e argument, and made patch for spacefm to extract zip, rar and 7z archives directly like tar.xz, tar.gz and other.

Scooby

#608 Post by Scooby »

simargl wrote:I've started uploading new iso, with only difference in iwlwifi firmware is added back again.
Now wifi works.

I can report calibre working perfectly with AlphaOS. I used the binary install provided
at calibre homepage and not pacman.

Started to hack at a bash-"install" script now. For setting up my system
automagically after new AlphaOS update.

smil99

#609 Post by smil99 »

Just to confirm that wireless connection now works with the new alphaOS 9. Still had to add iwldvm to modules line in /etc/rc.conf though.
Wired and wireless printing/scanning also work with my modified version of rcrsn51's cups 1.4.8 printing package found here. For those of you that printing/scanning is indispensable, you may want to try it :) . Check page 38 of this thread for further instructions on how to install it.
Cheers.
[b][color=green]Success is never ending. ... Failure is never final![/color][/b]

Scooby

#610 Post by Scooby »

Is it possible to create a "global" symlink in Linux

somewhat like "~" is always pointing to user home directory?

What I want is a symbolic link that is availible in every directory?

can this be done somehow. with ln or maybe some bash-scripting?
maybe fool with users somehow and let "cd ~someplace" go to
/some/place a path of my own choice?

yr1945

#611 Post by yr1945 »

Smil99, I want to learn how to set up my wireless hp printer... and, hoping that you will help me.

I downloaded your "print_scan_alphaOS-8.0.tar.gz package"... extracted it... and, ran the script "sh install.sh"... all is well at this point but, now what do I do? I didn't see the ".pet printer software"... but, I do have all the folders. Are these folders the "software"? Do I place the folders somewhere else or just leave them intact? Also, the menu now shows ink-gui, cups manager (which doesn't work, eg, can't get website), etc, etc, etc...

Any further step-by-step instructions would be gratefully appreciated.

smil99

#612 Post by smil99 »

Hi yr1945,
Running

sh install.sh
installs everything in the package. No need to copy over the folders again.
1. You need to be sure that /etc/init.d/cups is a link to /usr/bin/cupsd. If not, create that link first. You may have to rename or delete any cups found in /etc/init.d before creating the link.
2. Run /etc/init.d/cups to start cups.
3. Check if cups works by typing 'localhost:631' in a browser or using 'Manage CUPS Printers' found under System Tools in the menu.
4. If you can access cups website at this point, then we are almost there. The next thing to do is to install your printer's .pet using

ppet yourprinter.pet

5. If your printer is connected to your computer, you should then see it listed in cups after restarting 'Manage CUPS Printers'. On the other hand, if it is a network printer, use 'Find New Printers' under cups administration to activate it.
6. You may want to check rcrsn51's excellent printing resources to find a .pet for your printer if you do not have one already.
7. If cups doesn't start automatically after reboot, add

/etc/init.d/cups &
to /root/.start (by editing with geany), preferably, before the line

sleep 7s

Good luck :)
PS: All credit must go to rcrsn51 :) . I only ensured that it works after version 6 of alphaOS by adding the remaining parts of cups as found in cupsExtra_alphaos-1.4.8 folder.
Cheers.

yr1945

#613 Post by yr1945 »

smil99... THANKS... I have made good progress... even though I was NOT able to complete your step4 below, my printer WAS recognized... when I send a file to be printed, the wireless printer screen lights up, but nothing prints out...

4. If you can access cups website at this point, then we are almost there. The next thing to do is to install your printer's .pet using
Code: ppet yourprinter.pet

I will continue working on this tomorrow... somehow, I will have to better understand how to utilize the following... i.e., ppet yourprinter.pet...

THANKS, AGAIN... hopefully, I can get me printer working tomorrow.

By the way, my printer is a HP Deskjet 3510... and when I set it up with Ubuntu, it is always listed as a NETWORK printer... here, I cannot find Deskjet 3510 relative to .pet... but, all deskjets seem to be similar so I just selected one... again the screen lights up, but nothing prints out... and, when I find my printer in CUPS, it just lists Deskjet 3510... not Network 3510 like in Ubuntu...

Scooby

#614 Post by Scooby »

OK so when I add my solution for tear free video by
creating 20-intel.conf in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d

I get a lower resolution at startup.

Tried lxrandr but it wont let me change anything

running

xrandr --output LVDS1 --mode 1600x900
The resolution is changed to something better however everything seems
awfully wide if I'm not misstaken.

How can you find out resolution when its working correctly so I can set it later.

smil99

#615 Post by smil99 »

Hi yr1945,
Good to know that you've made some progress :) . It seems you have been able to install cups correctly. Next task is how your printer can print with cups. If you can see the name of your printer on the cups printers interface then, it seems cups recognizes your printer. In that case, there is no need to install any .pet package as per step 4 of my previous post.

As a first test, connect the printer directly to your computer via USB and see if you can print anything. If that comes out successful then, it may mean some extra tweaking is needed for wireless printing/scanning to work.

In my case, I have a Canon MP-640 printer scanner combo and I needed to install both canon_mp640-3.20.pet and cups-bjnp-1.0.pet. The former is the printer's software whilst the latter enables network/wireless printing/scanning. Needless to say these are for Canon specific printers so they are definitely not for your HP printer. I may also point out that rcrsn51 is the guru here when it comes to printing issues so do well to check his resources provided in my earlier post or send him a pm. He may provide the needed assistance :wink:

Cheers.

yr1945

#616 Post by yr1945 »

Smil99... no further progress on wireless printing... I have followed your directions very closely...

I am still confused about the ppet yourprinter.pet instructions... when I insert it into the terminal with my printer name, all I get back is deskjet3510.pet not found!... I guess that you are telling me that the .pet for my printer must be obtained from rcrsn51...

However, even without the printer .pet, the cups website can "find" my printer... I have added it to my pc and it shows up when i want to print...

I tried printing wirelessly and with the usb connection... but, no luck... however, the control screen lights up in both cases... which, to me, means that the printer is receiving some communication from my pc... otherwise, the screen would not be lighting up...

I will occasionally keep working on this issue... but, I wanted to THANK YOU for pointing me in the right direction...

smil99

#617 Post by smil99 »

Hi again yr1945,
Searched and found the following pets from rcrsn51's arsenal of printer solutions for you to try :) .
ppet hplip_print-3.13.7.pet
ppet hplip_scan-3.13.7.pet
After downloading, install them with ppet. That is, in a console, type

ppet hplip_print-3.13.7.pet

enter, and then

ppet hplip_scan-3.13.7.pet
After install, reboot and then go to cups interface at

localhost:631
Open the Administration tab and select 'Add Printer' or 'Find New Printers' and install your printer by scrolling down the list of printers until you find the exact name of your printer. Follow the cups instructions from there which I guess is quite straightforward :wink: .
You may have to test USB printing before trying the wireless one.
Cheers.

yr1945

#618 Post by yr1945 »

Smil99... well, you won't believe this, but I can now print wirelessly... THANK YOU for all of your support... I really appreciate it...

cinclus_cinclus

X-Server hangs on startup

#619 Post by cinclus_cinclus »

I use a NVidia G210 graphics card. On booting the xorg-driver hangs. Several restarts by Alt-Ctrl Backspace solves this annoying problem though.

Question:
how can I force the xorgdriver either
1) to repeat the start of the xserver until it finds the correct resolution of my TFT-display.
2) or to use directly the correct resolution (1680x1050).

Any hints highly appreciated.

simargl

#620 Post by simargl »

cinclus_cinclus, is that problem with compiled nvidia driver? You don't need to force driver to load, new Xorg relies on eudev and will choose what's best for your hardware automatically. There can't be conflict with nouveau driver, because nouveau is disabled in kernel configuration. You can add boot code pfix=nox to stop X from starting, or change line X_AUTOLOGIN="yes" in /etc/rc.conf. X -configure will make new xorg.conf file in /root. You can change resolution in that file, copy it to /etc/X11, then start X server with alphaosx.