Other Distros

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Colonel Panic

#1141 Post by Colonel Panic »

nitehawk wrote:
nitehawk wrote:I recently decided to switch from Slackware (and Slackware-based distros) to just basic Debian. I didn't want to do Debian itself,...(too hard for someone still on dialup, having to download a net-install). And I for SURE didn't want to have to buy all 10 (I think it is now) DVDs.

So I have re-discovered CrunchBang. I've gotten quite hooked on the Openbox desktop,....and the fact that it is basically just Debian. In all fair-ness,...I haven't tired the latest Antix yet (which I may like as well).

I missed the late DreamLinux,...but these two smaller Debian-based distros seem really very nice!
OK,..
eating my own words!
...got tired of trying to fool with Openbox. Just went back to Slackware 14 (Xfce). It just seems easier,...maybe because I'm used to the combination of setting up Slackware,...and the Xfce desktop environment. Feels more like home. (As far as Puppies,...got one on all my machines.) Gotta use what works for you and on your particular computers, I guess.
Agreed; the trouble is that Slack still doesn't have anything as like as good dependency tracking as Debian, and it's also got nowhere near the number of prebuilt packages that Debian has, so if you want something at all unusual (like Osmo for example) you have to guess your way through compiling it along with the packages it depends on.

I usually end up compromising and running both at the same time (or two distros, one based on each).
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

smokey01

#1142 Post by smokey01 »

Porteus is very good. Small, fast and slackware based.
This distro builder is pretty cool too.
http://build.porteus.org/

I would like to see JWM and Seamonkey as an option in the builder though.

nitehawk

#1143 Post by nitehawk »

smokey01 wrote:Porteus is very good. Small, fast and slackware based.

I've heard a lot of good things about Porteus....may have to try that. However,...
I just went back to my old standby, VectorLinux. (Great Slackware-based distro) Seems that no matter what ever I try,....
I just always wind up going to straight ol' Vector and Puppy. Vector has a nice repository,..
(with dependencies). And it comes with a whole bunch of apps, and all the codecs OOTB.
Guess I'll just stay with that, and quit "distro-hopping".
I think that Vector is about ready to release the new version of 7.1. Can't wait to see what that is like.

bark_bark_bark

#1144 Post by bark_bark_bark »

If your a slackware user, you can use SlackBuilds for extra packages.

Colonel Panic

#1145 Post by Colonel Panic »

bark_bark_bark wrote:If your a slackware user, you can use SlackBuilds for extra packages.
Sure, but it's more limited than Debian. I've tried it and couldn't get Osmo working in Vector (though it does in Salix, which has its own package management system).
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Colonel Panic

#1146 Post by Colonel Panic »

nitehawk wrote:
smokey01 wrote:Porteus is very good. Small, fast and slackware based.

I've heard a lot of good things about Porteus....may have to try that. However,...
I just went back to my old standby, VectorLinux. (Great Slackware-based distro) Seems that no matter what ever I try,....
I just always wind up going to straight ol' Vector and Puppy. Vector has a nice repository,..
(with dependencies). And it comes with a whole bunch of apps, and all the codecs OOTB. Guess I'll just stay with that, and quit "distro-hopping".

I think that Vector is about ready to release the new version of 7.1. Can't wait to see what that is like.
Sounds good. :)

Colonel Panic

#1147 Post by Colonel Panic »

rokytnji wrote:@CP

Code: Select all

sux
password. enter

apt-get udate
enter

Is required after every AntiX fresh install to get the repos going.
Thanks loads, I'll try that tomorrow (or later on today since it's past midnight :) ).

Cheers,

CP .

smokey01

#1148 Post by smokey01 »

The Porteus Package Manager is very good too. It takes care of dependencies very well. The package manager takes care of slack builds on the fly.

I don't think I will ever leave Puppy although it is very impressive.

nooby

#1149 Post by nooby »

And their forum is rather friendly too so that is a good help for newbies.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Colonel Panic

#1150 Post by Colonel Panic »

rokytnji wrote:@CP

sux
password. enter

apt-get udate
enter

Is required after every AntiX fresh install to get the repos going.
Just a quick update here; "apt-get update" worked, "apt-get udate" didn't. Thanks anyway.

zarg

Antix 13.1

#1151 Post by zarg »

I just put Antix 13.1 on a Compaq 2108US laptop (AMD2800xp) and am really happy with the results so far; some small issues I ran into:

1- Asunder Cd ripper locks up(experienced this in Lupu 528 also so it may be a hardware AMD issue. I Uninstalled asunder using Synaptic and installed Ripper-X, works great.

2- Some quirks when changing windows managers, wallpaper; when turning spaceFM desktop on and off wallpaper reverts to default and sometimes desktop icons disapear. I settled on a setup I like and it has been solid since.

3. file manager icon calls up spaceFM; I prefer Rox; I'll have to look at config file and edit to call up Rox.

4. some menus have too much stuff; the average user will find themselves removing unwated items.

overall Antix13.1 is quick(not as quick as a Pup, but pretty fast), has a clean look and is easily reconfigurable. package installs from the Debian repositories work well and removals of unwanted packages went well. I like this distro and it has replaced Lupu 528 on the Compaq for now.

one note is that the developer has stated that Antix will be on hold for a while due to his job but as the current release seems very stable I don't see this as an issue.

Enrique Corbellini

after proving ZevenOS for some time

#1152 Post by Enrique Corbellini »

Zeven OS looks like a bored uncolored unmoving box, ugh!, but, it's really giving me service. I practiced ubuntu, zorin, and around other 8 distros before, all of them more-or-less good looking but giving you ugly surprises. I don't know if you know what I mean.

It seems this Zeven system is really supported, because it not only works continously, sometimes it does it better than the day before.
Still loving Puppy! I work with both systems, really, Zeven and Puppy. Actually the only 2 systems installed in my PC nowadays.

But the glory that surrounded us, the puppy users, around the 2009-2010 years is gone.... forever? We weren't only nerds at the beginning, we were giving the world a voice that said "pssst, hey you users, forget that stupid windows, here is the alternative".
I recomend never minding for this, a person does what a person can do. And there are options for those who still want to play the software world war, like praying for Snowden perhaps? uhggggg, well, things like that, but it can't be said they don't exist.

Colonel Panic

#1153 Post by Colonel Panic »

Back using my Dell again now as the old Compaq's hard drive showed signs of starting to fail today. I tried to wipe the drive with DBan and it only worked on the third attempt; on the other two, it crashed immediately it was started, showing an error message indicating probable bad sectors on the hard drive.

So it looks like the drive's days are numbered, and as I can't replace it now it's sadly time to put the Compaq out to grass. It's been a good and loyal servant though and has had literally dozens of Puppies running on it over the years.

Anyway, I've installed SUSE 12.3 (with KDE) on the new machine and it seems to be a very solid system. The new SUSE KDE theme and wallpaper are quite attractive too, in different shades of dark green (and some black).

starhawk

#1154 Post by starhawk »

Colonel Panic, if your Compaq can use a desktop-type (3.5" size) IDE drive, I can send you one... I've got five 80gb ones and a 100gb model staring me in the face right now, just tell me which size and pay me the shipping and I'll send it off...

Colonel Panic

#1155 Post by Colonel Panic »

starhawk wrote:Colonel Panic, if your Compaq can use a desktop-type (3.5" size) IDE drive, I can send you one... I've got five 80gb ones and a 100gb model staring me in the face right now, just tell me which size and pay me the shipping and I'll send it off...
Thanks for the offer! I'll certainly consider it but I've pretty much decided to stick with the Dell from now on and maybe have a netbook for backup (if I need backup at all) rather than keep a big old desktop around the place for a spare.

In other news, I'm posting from the latest version of Salix Mate (64-bit), which seems pretty good, and I've also installed Saline 1.7 which with XFCE and its underwater "school of fish" wallpaper is one of the most attractive distros I've seen if a bit "old school" in practice (it uses Debian Stable rather than Debian Testing).

Colonel Panic

#1156 Post by Colonel Panic »

I've also installed WattOS 7, which looks OK although at the moment I can't access the full Ubuntu repositories to install less commonly used programs such as DeadBeef, Portabase and others (Qalculate -the Queer Calculator is a favourite of mine).

sszindian

Other Distro

#1157 Post by sszindian »

I wanted to try one of the 'rolling releases' just to see how they would perform so after trying a few of the more-popular ones over the last year with little satisfaction, I decided to try just one more 'Semplice' it isn't very well known, only a handful of users or viewers in their forum at one time and, sometimes it isn't even in the top-100 on Distrowatch.

I must say after using it for the last 3 or 4 months... 'It is a fantastic mid-size distro' (yep, still fits on a CD)

The boys at Semplice are very friendly and I will say, work their hearts out on this distro. (both 32 & 64 versions)

I get on an average of 5-10 individual updates or add-on's every day via the syntactic package manager (that's how they do it) and for certain learned that many of the 'lib's programs & some standard programs like cups - and not a version update -' that are used in puppy have been up-dated several times since I've been using it... makes one wonder on some of the puppy stuff still being used going back on several years?

Anyway, if you want a really nice mid-size distro, you will never have to replace (rolling-release) give it a try, you can find the URL at distrowatch using the search function.

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

nooby

#1158 Post by nooby »

I felt for testing Zorin Lite today so I made this frugal install on my HP/Compaq
title zorin zorin-os-7-lite.iso
root (hd0,0) /zorin-os-7-lite.iso
kernel /zorin/casper/vmlinuz file=/preseed/custom.seed boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/zorin-os-7-lite.iso
initrd /zorin/casper/initrd.gz

I make a reboot now and tell the result. :)
So typical it could not find the medium.
While both Linux Mint, Netrunner and Zeven works with same code.

title lm13
root (hd0,0) /linuxmint-15-xfce-dvd-64bit.iso
kernel /lm13/casper/vmlinuz file=/preseed/mint.seed boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/linuxmint-15-xfce-dvd-64bit.iso
initrd /lm13/casper/initrd.lz

title netrunner Linux find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /netrunner.iso
root (hd0,0) /netrunner.iso
kernel /netrunner/casper/vmlinuz file=/preseed/xubuntu.seed boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/netrunner.iso noeject noprompt
initrd /netrunner/casper/initrd.lz

title Zeven Linux
root (hd0,0) /zevenos5-desktop.iso
kernel /zeven/casper/vmlinuz file=/preseed/xubuntu.seed boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/zevenos5-desktop.iso
initrd /zeven/casper/initrd.lz

All these are lz instead of gz could that be related?
another difference is the preseed file being custom
for Zorin while having a unique name for the other three.
what else can explain that it fails?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

zarg

salineos

#1159 Post by zarg »

saline is solid and the XFCE interface along with the built in update scripts make it a pretty pailes Debian distro to use; it's not the most exciting distro but it's a pretty good front end for debian stable.

Karl Godt

#1160 Post by Karl Godt »

Hello : Running
openSUSE 10.3 (i586)
VERSION = 10.3
Live CD
Linux linux 2.6.22.5-31-default #1 SMP 2007/09/21 22:29:00 UTC i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
aufs driver is loaded , but no layerfs mounted :
linux:~ # mount
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=0620,gid=5)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)

Kde 3 desktop , which I like more than version 4 .
FF is 2.0.0.6 which is well enough .

Using Puppy's pgprs-connect and pgprs-setup plus /etc/ppp to bypass kinternet and dialout group :D
pppd connects without much negotiations directly first try :)

Running root Konsole . Have to figure out permissions .

Machine is a Core2Duo with 4GB RAM . Did not thought that such an old kernel would run so well on it . :lol:
Ext4 support missing of course .
And some bins, at least dc .
Attachments
snapshot1.jpg
(25.13 KiB) Downloaded 664 times
«Give me GUI or Death» -- I give you [[Xx]term[inal]] [[Cc]on[s][ole]] .
Macpup user since 2010 on full installations.
People who want problems with Puppy boot frugal :P