Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 24 Nov 2014, 05:54
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
X-precise-2.4 Final
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 24 [348 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 22, 23, 24 Next
rg66

PostPosted: Mon 29 Jul 2013, 05:43    Post subject:  X-precise-2.4 Final
Subject description: Precise-5.7.1 with Xfce-4.10 and Adrive support

X-precise

A manually built distro based on precise-5.7.1. with the Xfce-4.10 desktop and Adrive support.

Known Issues
Does not work with P3 or AMD Athlon processors

Version 2.4 delta is available for download

Download

Change log
X-precise-2.4.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   25.95 KB
 Viewed   4381 Time(s)

X-precise-2.4.jpg

Last edited by rg66 on Thu 10 Jul 2014, 00:25; edited 44 times in total
rg66

PostPosted: Mon 29 Jul 2013, 05:43    Post subject: Packages  

Packages for X-precise

Pet
http://www.carolina-linux.com/rg66/X-precise/pet_packages-X-precise

SFS
http://www.carolina-linux.com/rg66/X-precise/sfs

audacious-3.2.4-Xprecise.pet - compiled in X-precise, missing libs added
audacious-plugins-3.2.4-Xprecise.pet - added mp3 and WMA support, both packages required
flashplayer-11.2.202.297.pet
gimp-2.8.2-Xprecise.pet/sfs - with missing libs added
pidgin-2.10.7-i686-precise543.pet
ristretto-0.6.3.pet - Image viewer
testdisk-6.14-i486-precise.pet
x-adrive-builder-1.0.pet
xfce4-extra-panel-plugins-1.0-Xprecise.pet
xdelta-30p-w5-Xprecise.pet
xmenumaker-3.1.0-Xprecise.pet

Common packages for both X-slacko and X-precise will be added here:
http://carolina-linux.com/rg66/X-common-packages

Eventually I will have all the removed packages from both in the X-common-packages folder

Last edited by rg66 on Sat 22 Feb 2014, 02:40; edited 12 times in total
ally

PostPosted: Mon 29 Jul 2013, 14:51    Post subject:  

hey rg

I have mirrored the ISO and pets here: www.archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_X-precise

Smile
rg66

PostPosted: Tue 30 Jul 2013, 07:14    Post subject:  

ally wrote:
hey rg

I have mirrored the ISO and pets here: www.archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_X-precise

Smile

Nice, thanks ally.

I have adrive support working so that will be added to the next release.

mikeslr

PostPosted: Tue 30 Jul 2013, 09:34    Post subject: Working Fine --thanks  

Hi rg66,

Just what I wanted but am unable to do myself. I'm downloading it now.
Is there any chance of your creating a custom-builder app for X-precise? and thereby combining the strengths of my two favorite Pup variations? Carolina's ability to dependency check and precise's wealth of applications using current libs. I appreciate that a custom-builder app may work best with a dedicated repo and that such would entail much duplication and a considerable amount of work. But, perhaps, less than having to duplicate precise apps albeit doing T2 compiles?

At any rate, Thanks for the Pup. And thanks, ally, for the mirror.

Edit after install. Re above request. Booted into X-precise and installed a couple of apps. X-Precise does a nice job of dependency checking. So I must have been thinking about a zdrive.
Overall X-precise is working well.
One thing isn't particularly newby friendly: Changing the color of the fonts used by the taskbar clock. One has to know the hex? values of colors.
Edit: Just discovered the "Clock set" app which does the above. Perhaps could be linked to/called from other apps for adjusting the clock which aren't as user friendly?
Also, although hunspell isn't exactly a "dependency" of Abiword which requires it to spell check, the only of people who may never have a need to check their spelling probably were spelling bee champions. I got into the fifth grade on probation that my spelling significantly improve. (Un)Fortunately for me, the fifth grade teacher who was aware of that condition broke her leg over summer recess and her replacement didn't know.

mikesLr
rg66

PostPosted: Tue 30 Jul 2013, 19:21    Post subject: Re: Working Fine --thanks  

mikeslr wrote:
Is there any chance of your creating a custom-builder app for X-precise? and thereby combining the strengths of my two favorite Pup variations? Carolina's ability to dependency check and precise's wealth of applications using current libs.

A custom-builder would be nice but I think that would require some knowledge that I don't have. The next release will include adrive support so you can make a custom one.

I suppose a custom adrive builder and a right click dependency checker might be possible.

mikeslr wrote:

One thing isn't particularly newby friendly: Changing the color of the fonts used by the taskbar clock. One has to know the hex? values of colors.

I've included "clock-style", to change the clock font and color. It's in control panel under Desktop. (I just noticed it has the older "clock-set" instead, that will be changed).

okokoook

PostPosted: Wed 31 Jul 2013, 16:45    Post subject:  

wow this is awesome

could we also use carolina apps with this x-precise version, if possible ?
rg66

PostPosted: Wed 31 Jul 2013, 21:01    Post subject:  

okokoook wrote:
wow this is awesome

could we also use carolina apps with this x-precise version, if possible ?

A lot them should work, I'm using mtpaint and ristretto from lina with no problems. Just install them and the package manager will tell you if there's any missing dependencies.

pchan

PostPosted: Thu 01 Aug 2013, 09:14    Post subject:  

Hi rg66,

x-precise is working very well in my acer d256 netbook. However i cannot find "menu entry maker" in the control panel."Menu entry maker" was in carolina. It is a useful program because some installations (wine programs also) doesn't automatically get listed in the program menu.

Thanks
rg66

PostPosted: Thu 01 Aug 2013, 10:11    Post subject:  

I didn't include the menu entry maker and a few other things that where in lina such as theme manager.

Precise has a whole lot more menu categories and they have been merged with the lina's so that one wouldn't work properly anyway.

Last edited by rg66 on Thu 01 Aug 2013, 10:19; edited 1 time in total
mikeslr

PostPosted: Thu 01 Aug 2013, 18:30    Post subject: File Manager Slowness & finding a useable Gimp  

Hi rg66,

Really enjoying X-precise and am recommending it to others despite a couple of hick-ups. One was finding a version of Gimp that would work. I tried several SFSes, versions 2.6 thru 2.84 but none would run and complained about missing libs. Same problem after using PPM to install the pet from the puppy-precise repo. But the version from Ubuntu repo installed and runs well. PPM did a good job in finding all necessary dependencies. I had some doubts, however, regarding what it chose to remove after clicking "trim the fat." I had expected only documentation and localization files to be identified. As it seemed to go beyond that I canceled. I'd rather have things I don't need than not have things I do. Although the Ubuntu version of Gimp is only 2.6, I'm happy with it. I'm not sure what "improvements" came after it. I wouldn't classify the menu changes in 2.7 or 2.8 as improvements. And hunting thru the Ubuntu repos I was able to find and install a couple of plugins which work with 2.6 and may prove useful.
LibreOffice4.SFS runs well. And the mtpaint pet with snapshot does also. You've mention that some Carolina pets may work. That's been my experience with other precise versions. I'd add that Lupu pets frequently work. So with pets and ubuntu debs X-precise should prove to be a great Pup for individualization and customization.

One hiccup I haven't been able to solve is that the first time Thunar is started, whether from the desktop icon, the menu, or the taskbar --even though I've set it to respond to one-click-- it takes an extraordinary amount of time to open. Long enough that I've feared it wasn't responding --or that my one-click setting hadn't taken-- so I've clicked it again, and maybe again, and finally ended up with 3 or 4 Thunar windows open. I might have guessed that opening Thunar by clicking the desktop "Filesystem" icon could be slow because x-precise was treating my sd drives as "external." But the same delay occurs when Thunar is opened to root which it should interpret as an "internal" drive.

Any suggestions as to how it could be speeded up?

mikesLr
rg66

PostPosted: Thu 01 Aug 2013, 20:54    Post subject:  

Hey mikeslr,

Glad your enjoying it. The second post has a few .pets and one of them is Gimp-2.8.2 with the missing libs added.

The thunar issue is caused by gvfs-smb which replaced Pnethood for browsing network shares. The first time thunar starts it does a network scan which only takes about 3 sec. on my comp.

The quickest fix is to open /usr/share/gvfs/mounts/network.mount in geany and change AutoMount=true to AutoMount=false and restart X. This will leave the thunar side pane network icon missing until you click it and scan the network, but thunar will open right away.

I'll have to rethink using gvfs-smb or preset automount to false like we did in lina.

pchan

PostPosted: Fri 02 Aug 2013, 07:00    Post subject:  

rg66 ,

any plans to implement xfce and carolina goodies into the latest puppy precise 5.7?

The latest Puppy precise 5.7 seems stable, light and snappy on my acer aspire one d257 (happy2) netbook. Barry K has done a great job and has introduced a few new things such as copying the basic puppy sfs file to the ram.

I feel the boot up is faster if i am not wrong.

Thanks
rg66

PostPosted: Fri 02 Aug 2013, 09:07    Post subject:  

pchan wrote:
rg66 ,

any plans to implement xfce and carolina goodies into the latest puppy precise 5.7?

Yes and no. I had a go at precise 5.6.1 but couldn't get it to work properly, although I didn't spend much time on it ( I was doing Carolina at the time). I thought it would be better to go with something that already worked at first.

If I can figure out how gray did 5.4.3, I'll have a serious attempt at 5.7 or maybe the latest slacko.

5.4.3 seems to work ok and it will run the latest apps (unless they require gtk-3), so I'm going to stick with this for a while.

pchan

PostPosted: Sat 03 Aug 2013, 03:03    Post subject:  

rg66 wrote:
I'll have a serious attempt at 5.7 or maybe the latest slacko.

It is great to know that precise 5.7 and latest slacko are under consideration. Although i like precise 5.7 because it is based on ubuntu, slacko has always been great. In fact, lately, i had a pleasant surprised to find out that i could install some .deb files in slacko.

I don't understand much but it shows that slacko has become very a very friendly puppy.

Will look forward to great xfce puppies from you.

Thanks
Page 1 of 24 [348 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 22, 23, 24 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: