Spellchecker in ABIword

Please post any bugs you have found
don

Spellchecker in ABIword

#1 Post by don »

Everything I use in Slacko-5.5 seems rock solid except for ABIword's spellchecker. When I add a new word (e.g., my name), initially flagged as misspelled, the current document subsequently accepts the spelling as being OK. However, in any new document the word is not recognized as being correct, and is flagged again as a misspell. I have not encountered this behavior in any other puppy including UPUP-Precise, Lupu-528, and Dpup-Squeeze. Am I missing a dictionary for added words, or is there some fundamental difference between Slacko and these other builds in how new words are added to ABIword?

npierce

#2 Post by npierce »

It looks like AbiWord is saving words to your personal dictionary OK (/root/.config/enchant/*.dic), but not loading that dictionary when AbiWord starts. If I create a new document within the same AbiWord session, the new words are recognized, but not if I exit AbiWord and restart.

This appears to be a problem with the libenchant.so.1.5.0 library. I was able to replace it with the libenchant.so.1.6.0 library from my puppy_precise_5.6.sfs file, and then it worked OK.

You have a choice of three options:

1. If you happen to have libenchant.so.1.6.0 available on another distro, like I did, you can copy it to Slacko's /usr/lib/ directory. You then need to change a symlink like this:

Code: Select all

ln -fs libenchant.so.1.6.0 /usr/lib/libenchant.so.1
2. If you don't already have libenchant.so.1.6.0, you can extract it from the libenchant1c2a_1.6.0-7_i386.deb package, which can be found at:

http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/i386/ ... a/download

Download and save the package to the /tmp/ directory, then in a terminal window run these commands:

dpkg-deb -x /tmp/libenchant1c2a_1.6.0-7_i386.deb /tmp/libenchant1c2a
mv /tmp/libenchant1c2a/usr/lib/libenchant.so* /usr/lib/
Both #1 and #2 above replace only the one library from the package. Sometimes replacing only part of a package can cause problems, and is not a practice I would normally encourage. I am suggesting it here only because I know that replacing the whole package will cause problems if you use any ispell dictionaries. If you run into problems with options #1 or #2, you can try option #3.

3. If you never use ispell dictionaries, or if you are willing to replace any ispell dictionaries that you have with myspell, hunspell, or ispell dictionaries with a different format, you can simply choose to let petget install the whole package instead of just downloading it and extracting the one library. In that case you will need to also install libhunspell-1.3-0_1.3.2-4_i386.deb, which is a dependency, and can be found at:

http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/i386/ ... 0/download

After installing libhunspell, you will need to move it to its proper Puppy location:

mv /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libhunspell-1.3.so.* /usr/lib/
(For most .deb packages, and with most Puppies, petget will move libraries to their proper Puppy location automatically; I'm not sure why it doesn't work in this case.)

If you need to replace your old ispell dictionaries with myspell, hunspell, or ispell dictionaries with a different format, see the thread at: abiword UK spellcheck

don

Spellchecker in ABIword

#3 Post by don »

Thanks, npierce.

Your suggestion #1 works perfectly. I am now able to use PHATSlacko as my primary distro.

don

npierce

#4 Post by npierce »

You're welcome.

Glad to hear it worked for you.