Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 19 Dec 2014, 20:24
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Off-Topic Area » Security
Looking for rootkits on Windows with Puppy ?
Page 2 of 2 [18 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Monsie

PostPosted: Wed 24 Jul 2013, 03:40    Post subject: Looking for rootkits on Windows with Puppy ?  

Barkin,

I understand your point about wanting to use a Linux based program to check for rootkit(s) on Windows. Unfortunately, some apps such as Rootkit Hunter
are not being kept up to date...

While doing a search, I found this Windows app. It appears to be under active development, fairly up to date, and is supposed to use a random name for its exe file so that rootkits cannot easily detect it...

Hope this helps,
Monsie

Barkin

PostPosted: Wed 24 Jul 2013, 04:13    Post subject: Re: Looking for rootkits on Windows with Puppy ?  

Thanks Monsie,
I've used that app, GMER, on windows, but my objective was to find a root-kit finder which was not running on the system being scanned, just in case it was being blinded by sophisticated malware also running on the windows OS.

Would GMER work if it ran on Linux via WINE ?, or would it just search WINE for rookits , rather than the real windows OS ?
Monsie

PostPosted: Wed 24 Jul 2013, 14:52    Post subject: Looking for rootkits on Windows with Puppy ?  

Barkin, I think it would be useful to test whether gmer would work under Wine or not, then report the findings... Cool

While I have not used gmer, it seems to me that the gui should have a provision to select the hard drive and/or partition to scan... --otherwise its functionality is rather limited. Even if the average user does not work with partitions, many computers manufactured today come with two hard drives.

Monsie

Page 2 of 2 [18 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » Off-Topic Area » Security
Jump to: