Puppy to the rescue

Promote Puppy !
rmcellig

Puppy to the rescue

#1 Post by rmcellig »

I have tried several times to successfully install Crunchbang on my Dell 3000 desktop computer. No dice. This is the computer I use to record my radio shows, do interviews etc... I was desperate because I only had a few hours to show time.

I pulled out my trusty puppy lucid 528 remastered CD and voila. I was back up and running in about 15 minutes. Today is the day I need this to work so I will find out after my show if the shows recorded properly.

As much as I want to install Crunchbang on this machine. I think I will have to stay with puppy. The reason I am so adamant about installing Crunchbang is that it uses openbox, tint2 and has an excellent selection of apps if need be.

Smithy

#2 Post by Smithy »

You do know that Tman has made a derivative version of Puppy with openbox and Tint 2 rmcellig? Great for sticking the progs most used on the taskbar.

I have done a tinted version based on Luci 529, which I prefer, only because the main system font is superior to the recent slackos (or Puppies?), evidenced when using roxterm pet and partition saving.

And clearlooks is on as default in the portion of QT that is built in to Puppy.

And less duplicate questions when you just want to shut down puppy, (three dialogues and a 30 second wait after hitting the power off button on a lappy :roll:)

What apps do you use for recording your radio shows and interviews?
So you record them in ram first before saving?

ally

#3 Post by ally »

rmcellig

#4 Post by rmcellig »

if there is a distro based on lucid 528, that would be great. lucid 528 is my favorite pup.

rmcellig

#5 Post by rmcellig »

I use the arecord command to record all my shows. Audacity for editing and digitizing my lp's.

rmcellig

#6 Post by rmcellig »

Smithy,

Do you have a location where I can download an iso of your remaster pup?

Smithy

#7 Post by Smithy »

I haven't uploaded a version of it as yet, still testing a few things on it.
The main apps are wine based, because I just like the easy routing of Jack and wineasio, but Audacity and Ardour are two fine native recorders.

But if you are using the command line app arecord, I guess you could use most any Puppy? I bet that method is super stable.

RSH did a Lucid 528 with an optional multimedia apps sfs.

rmcellig

#8 Post by rmcellig »

arecord has been rock solid for me and very easy to setup. It's one of those set it and forget things which I love!